Drama as tourist vehicle’s brakes fail on Doi Suthep

snoop1130

Drama as tourist vehicle’s brakes fail on Doi Suthep

By Patinya Srisupamart 
The Nation

viiu8p.jpg

A driver steered his runaway pickup into the side of Doi Suthep mountain Tuesday afternoon in the hope of stopping after it experienced brake failure.

The incident injured four European tourists in the vehicle. They were rushed to hospital for comprehensive health checks.

Kajorn Prasertsri, a village head in the area, said the driver took the tourists up to the top of Doi Suthep to visit the Phra That Doi Suthep Temple, but the pickup experienced brake failure on the way down.

“He’s an experienced driver, well aware that there was a sharp curve and a deep ravine on the path ahead. So, he made a decision to bang his vehicle into the side of the moutain to stop it,” Kajorn said. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30329505

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-17

Well done driver BUT.....

Were you using a low gear?
Did you use your parking break?

Brake failures are far too common an event.

If there were regular mandatory safety checks, this sort of problem would become a very rare event.

Full credit to the driver, but what about the owner of the vehicule [assuming it's not the driver]...

should he not deserve some personalised sanctions by the law, regarding the high quality maintenance of his moving coffin !!?...

Will tourists still have faith in such seedy tour operators ?

1 hour ago, henry15 said:

I had a break failure, despite the fact that  every 5000 km my car is checked and serviced at  Tri Petch, Head garage of Isuzu Thailand.

Break failure?

I presume you mean brake failure?

Or maybe you mean failure to apply brakes?

I suspect most downhill brake failures are due to lack of brake maintenance. Having said that, I did the trip from Chiangmai to Mae Hong Son in my Honda City automatic, fully loaded. Going down hills in bottom gear hardly slowed the car and I had to apply the brakes. They soon got overheated and I pulled over to give them time to cool down. Manual gear change vehicles would not experience this problem I suspect and using the lowest gear would be effective.

You've got to love the way that they managed to convey the message that the vehicle belonged to, or was being driven by, a tourist in the OP headline: Drama as tourist vehicle’s brakes fail on Doi Suthep

Much more appropriate would have been: 4 tourists lucky to escape serious injury or death in another badly maintained rust-bucket death trap.

1 hour ago, saminoz said:

You've got to love the way that they managed to convey the message that the vehicle belonged to, or was being driven by, a tourist in the OP headline: Drama as tourist vehicle’s brakes fail on Doi Suthep

Much more appropriate would have been: 4 tourists lucky to escape serious injury or death in another badly maintained rust-bucket death trap.

That would have been written "Tourist's vehicle's brakes..." if the intent was to show a vehicle owned or operated by tourists.

12 hours ago, henry15 said:

I had a break failure, despite the fact that  every 5000 km my car is checked and serviced at  Tri Petch, Head garage of Isuzu Thailand.

Didn't you inquire as to what caused the failure? I f**king would have. Sh1t doesn't happen like that these days.