Knee Pain: Cause vs Effect

Jonathan Fairfield

Knee Pain: Cause vs Effect

adam.jpg

Knee pain has always been a big problem for human beings, especially as we age. But even younger people can experience achy knees typically from sports and accidents.

If you go to the doctor to check your painful knee, and it is not a surgical condition, he will usually give you a prescription for anti inflammatory and pain medication. If this doesn't work he may inject the knee with anti inflammatory drugs. If that doesn't work he may recommend physical therapy. The main focus is on the symptom... not the cause.

What they often don't realize is that the cause of the problem might be in the feet, the pelvis, or low back. These areas must be checked as well for proper balance and positioning. A twisted pelvis, for example, can lead to improper muscle tone in the thighs resulting in imbalanced pulling on the knees. Likewise, if the nerves from the low back are irritated, the areas serviced by those nerves, like leg muscle and the knee joint, may become inflamed and painful. 

Just using pills or injections may not correct the underlying cause of the condition. Doctors of chiropractic are specially trained to examine not only the knee joint itself, but also the feet, pelvis, and low back to see if they are properly balanced and functioning correctly. If you need additional care, we are always ready to refer if indicated. 

If you had a stone in your shoe, would you take a pill to get rid of the pain? Of course not... you would take off your shoe and get the stone out, right? The same should be true about most health conditions, like knee pain. Take care of the cause and the symptoms will usually disappear too.

Call us to see if we can help you! 094-949-9614 or 02-639-7300

Really Thaivisa, you are telling people to call a number if they have knee pain? You don't even specify whether it is a doctor, a rheumatologist, a physiotherapist they will be contacting! 

For those of us who have joint pain, could I suggest that you go to a real medical doctor and, if appropriate, get referral to a rheumatologist who will investigate the pain and provide a course of treatment.

By the way, if your knee is paining you similar to the way the person is experiencing in the picture, I suggest that it is not because of nerves in your back or a twisted pelvis!

3 hours ago, Proboscis said:

Really Thaivisa, you are telling people to call a number if they have knee pain? You don't even specify whether it is a doctor, a rheumatologist, a physiotherapist they will be contacting! 

For those of us who have joint pain, could I suggest that you go to a real medical doctor and, if appropriate, get referral to a rheumatologist who will investigate the pain and provide a course of treatment.

By the way, if your knee is paining you similar to the way the person is experiencing in the picture, I suggest that it is not because of nerves in your back or a twisted pelvis!

Didn't I see a chainsaw in the ad?  Amputations quick & cheap. This is usually bursitis, oddly enough you get it going down stairs not up. Too vigorous walking on the first day is common. Strap it up, take it slow & easy, That will be Bt 10, we accept Visa...

3 hours ago, blazes said:

This is shocking....what starts off as what seems to be a regular news story ends up being an advertisement for chiropractice.

Not cricket.

Cricket don't the bills, matey. Call it an infomercial. 

3 hours ago, blazes said:

This is shocking....what starts off as what seems to be a regular news story ends up being an advertisement for chiropractice.

Not cricket.

Oh dear. Next you'll say the Lady Drinks are real Chivas Regal. Mendacity, foul beast.

I cure myself of knee pains. There are certain vegetables you must not eat because there are chemicals in these vegetables that cause or make the pain worst. Example, Chinese Radish(white in color) Cabbage, Tomatoes, cucumber and carrots. Also foods to avoid, Number One biggest enemy -  wheat flour, many people don't realize it or say it's nonsense , you only need to avoid eating wheat flour or anything from wheat for 2 weeks to see result- you will be glad you read this piece of news.

Beer is also a big cause of this pain. Why I don't know why I will not touch it any more.

If you look at the foods we eat, too much wheat flour stuffs and sugar. Yes, Sugar is also a big problem for knee pains. 500 grams of sugar last me about 5 months that's how much sugar I take. I put a little bit in my coffee because coffee is too bitter.

Meat, I have become almost 80 percent vegetarian only eat very little meat or seafoods.

Use Magnets to help relieve the pain. Yes MAGNET, many people think this is a load of hogwash . Well, if you find it works you no longer think it's hogwash.

Must get those powerful magnet, not those weak ones, those are for kids playing. Those powerful ones are available in hardware stores. You need to bandage them around the knees before you go to bed, or have your wife or someone to make a cloth bag that you could wrap round the knee . Use north, south opposite one another.

Within 2 months I am free from knee pains, and I follow strictly to the above in term of diet and using magnet if any small pain is experienced. 

Wondeful to be free from knee pains. Doctors cannot do much for you(unless surgery required), they can do many other cures but not knee pains. So don't waste your money and time on doctors.

Just do it yourself.

I agree with Madusa and am in my early 70's experiencing some knee pain but not so much since I made conscious upgrades of my lifestyle including being primarily vegetarian, eating organically, and also taking quite a few supplements like fish oil and liposomal vitamin C and more.   I also invented my own knee practice simply holding my knee in different positions and massaging at the same time.    Additionally, I get 2-hour massages weekly with someone very qualified and at other times, lay on my back and pretend I am bicycling slowly.    Also, I take Himalayan Pink Salt baths and drink the salt in water daily for all of its trace minerals.    So many things you can do if you simply choose to love and nurture your knees...and why wouldn't you?

Saint View Hospital has a sports med clinic. Anyone in Bangkok interested I will dig out the info. 

Tumeric from 7-Eleven is an anti inflammatory. . Cheaper from pharmacies. 

Didn't I see a chainsaw in the ad?

I can count the number of chainsaw accidents i have had on one hand.

3 hours ago, madusa said:

I cure myself of knee pains. There are certain vegetables you must not eat because there are chemicals in these vegetables that cause or make the pain worst. Example, Chinese Radish(white in color) Cabbage, Tomatoes, cucumber and carrots. Also foods to avoid, Number One biggest enemy -  wheat flour, many people don't realize it or say it's nonsense , you only need to avoid eating wheat flour or anything from wheat for 2 weeks to see result- you will be glad you read this piece of news.

Beer is also a big cause of this pain. Why I don't know why I will not touch it any more.

If you look at the foods we eat, too much wheat flour stuffs and sugar. Yes, Sugar is also a big problem for knee pains. 500 grams of sugar last me about 5 months that's how much sugar I take. I put a little bit in my coffee because coffee is too bitter.

Meat, I have become almost 80 percent vegetarian only eat very little meat or seafoods.

Use Magnets to help relieve the pain. Yes MAGNET, many people think this is a load of hogwash . Well, if you find it works you no longer think it's hogwash.

Must get those powerful magnet, not those weak ones, those are for kids playing. Those powerful ones are available in hardware stores. You need to bandage them around the knees before you go to bed, or have your wife or someone to make a cloth bag that you could wrap round the knee . Use north, south opposite one another.

Within 2 months I am free from knee pains, and I follow strictly to the above in term of diet and using magnet if any small pain is experienced. 

Wondeful to be free from knee pains. Doctors cannot do much for you(unless surgery required), they can do many other cures but not knee pains. So don't waste your money and time on doctors.

Just do it yourself.

I do...beer gives me a fat gut and my poor old knees have to drag it around every day!

12 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

This is an advertorial and labelled as such at the top of the page

Maybe but on the page referring to the article it is not flagged as an advertisement. 

I have several friends I jokingly refer to as chiroquacks. One has a nice Beverly Hills home paid for by customers from his Inglewood and 3 Los Angeles offices. 

I remember an old man diagnosed with as I recall prostate cancer. He was having it treated by a Chiroquack that gladly took his money until he died a couple months later. That quack should have his license revoked! 

I once went to another quack that gave me the same old speel as you we don't believe in masking pain with drugs, the quack showed me x rays claiming I needed to buy $100 worth of his vitamins as my spine was eroding. BS that was 30 years ago and my spine still has not eroded. 

After a serious Motorcycle accident I had a real doctor an osteopath DO I think he was. Explained the cycle of pain, spasms cause pain, which causes more spasms. He prescribed anti inflammatories and muscle relaxers to stop spasms. Worked great. I understand knee injections are not anti inflamitories but cortizone, which accelerates healing but causes more problems later. 

How about having your advertisement posted as an ad on the main page not by a lil red flag on a headline usually ignored as we already read it. 

Just now, Grumpy Duck said:

Maybe but on the page referring to the article it is not flagged as an advertisement. 

I have several friends I jokingly refer to as chiroquacks. One has a nice Beverly Hills home paid for by customers from his Inglewood and 3 Los Angeles offices. 

I remember an old man diagnosed with as I recall prostate cancer. He was having it treated by a Chiroquack that gladly took his money until he died a couple months later. That quack should have his license revoked! 

I once went to another quack that gave me the same old speel as you we don't believe in masking pain with drugs, the quack showed me x rays claiming I needed to buy $100 worth of his vitamins as my spine was eroding. BS that was 30 years ago and my spine still has not eroded. 

After a serious Motorcycle accident I had a real doctor an osteopath DO I think he was. Explained the cycle of pain, spasms cause pain, which causes more spasms. He prescribed anti inflammatories and muscle relaxers to stop spasms. Worked great. I understand knee injections are not anti inflamitories but cortizone, which accelerates healing but causes more problems later. 

Just now, Grumpy Duck said:

How about having your advertisement posted as an ad on the main page not by a lil red flag on a headline usually ignored as we already read it. 

You also neglected that most lower back, hip and knee pain is often caused by obesity. How do you adjust the fat off a persons gut?

I used to have a bad knee sometime in the early years of 2000. I was given ARTRODAR, an  anti-inflammatory  medication based on a substance called Diacerein. This was prescribed to me in Bumrungrad. The pain was immediately relieved. When I went back home I couldn't find it and I started a regime with 1500mg Glucosamine. This medication enhances the lubrication within the knee and prevents/slows down the knee cartilage from drying up and disintegrating. I do not have any knee problems ever since. After about 10 years I stopped taking glucosamine because the doctor was astounded by the fact that I have been taking it for so long.

Bottom line: My experience of knee osteoarhtitis, with persistent pain relieved by Artrodar and long term use of Glucosamine 1500mg taken every night prior to bed.

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 5:35 AM, Grumpy Duck said:

Hey Grumpy...unfortunate you have that attitude about a LICENSED health profession in many countries around the world, including the U.S., Australia, Canada, and right here in merry Thailand. Yes, it's true! And yes, Our degrees refer to us as Doctor of Chiropractic. Your feeble attempt at levity and bringing up obscure examples of possible unprofessional behavior to denigrate a profession that is used by many Olympic and professional sports teams around the world as well as the U.S. military with great success, reveals your ignorance and negative agenda. May I point out that the information piece clearly stated that if a referral is indicated it would be done. THAT is professional! You know NOTHING about our clinic, It's like looking at those few clinic in the U.S. that overprescribe pain pills and then say that ALL medical pain clinics are rotten. Is that fair or accurate?

Next time ask a question, like what is the curriculum covered in chiropractic education, or how exactly do chiropractors examine knee problems, before advertising your ignorance. I would be most happy to answer.

23 hours ago, thaichiro said:

Hey Grumpy...unfortunate you have that attitude about a LICENSED health profession in many countries around the world, including the U.S., Australia, Canada, and right here in merry Thailand. Yes, it's true! And yes, Our degrees refer to us as Doctor of Chiropractic. Your feeble attempt at levity and bringing up obscure examples of possible unprofessional behavior to denigrate a profession that is used by many Olympic and professional sports teams around the world as well as the U.S. military with great success, reveals your ignorance and negative agenda. May I point out that the information piece clearly stated that if a referral is indicated it would be done. THAT is professional! You know NOTHING about our clinic, It's like looking at those few clinic in the U.S. that overprescribe pain pills and then say that ALL medical pain clinics are rotten. Is that fair or accurate?

Next time ask a question, like what is the curriculum covered in chiropractic education, or how exactly do chiropractors examine knee problems, before advertising your ignorance. I would be most happy to answer.

55555 took you 4 days to come up with that reply? True, I know nothing about your clinic, and have no interest. I seriously doubt it is successful as you apparently cannot afford traditional advertising instead resort to free advertising as a post on social media sites. Sorry, when I have pain that needs treatment I will go to a hospital. Not to someone advertising as a post. 

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 5:38 AM, Grumpy Duck said:

You also neglected that most lower back, hip and knee pain is often caused by obesity. How do you adjust the fat off a persons gut?

Hey Grumpy...perfect handle....yes you are right, being overweight is a complicating factor, though not the major one. There are plenty of overweight people without low back or knee pain. What IS the major factor is how well, or poorly, your body is adapting to gravity and life's physical stresses. This affects EVERYONE. To adapt well your leg and stomach muscle tone must be proper and balanced. Also, your feet and pelvis must be positioned right and working properly as well. These factors are analyzed by most doctors of chiropractic and a realistic approach is then determined, including postural and exercise recommendations. If other care is necessary, then most chiropractors will refer appropriately. The fact is that most of my patients have already tried the medical route and have been dissatisfied. The purpose of this information is to present a reasonable alternative option for knee pain sufferers. If I don't honestly feel I can help a case I will tell them straight away!

As for the examples of seeming unprofessional behavior by other practitioners, I am not familiar with this hearsay. Of course you would agree that unprofessional behavior is found in all healing professions from time to time. The difference is that chiropractic mistakes are not life threatening, in contrast to other health providers. 

If you are happy with your present mode of care, great! But if you have interest in looking at a licensed non-drug, non-surgical alternative, feel free to contact us at The Natural Healing Center.

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 6:35 PM, Grumpy Duck said:

55555 took you 4 days to come up with that reply? True, I know nothing about your clinic, and have no interest. I seriously doubt it is successful as you apparently cannot afford traditional advertising instead resort to free advertising as a post on social media sites. Sorry, when I have pain that needs treatment I will go to a hospital. Not to someone advertising as a post. 

555555, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, Grumpy, but I was busy seeing patients. Didn't know you were anxiously waiting for my reply. Our clinic has been successfully operating for over 11 years here in Thailand, and I practiced for over 20 years in the U.S. Not a bad record. My purpose in choosing ThaiVisa was that I wanted to educate the non-Thai's with health care options for various conditions by explaining our care to the unaware. The fact that I paid for these advertorials doesn't make it any less valid or effective. There are plenty of hospital adverts all over the media. Apparently that hasn't dissuaded you from choosing THEIR services.

Don't be a hater... be Happy, not Grumpy dwarf

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 11:40 AM, marios said:

I used to have a bad knee sometime in the early years of 2000. I was given ARTRODAR, an  anti-inflammatory  medication based on a substance called Diacerein. This was prescribed to me in Bumrungrad. The pain was immediately relieved. When I went back home I couldn't find it and I started a regime with 1500mg Glucosamine. This medication enhances the lubrication within the knee and prevents/slows down the knee cartilage from drying up and disintegrating. I do not have any knee problems ever since. After about 10 years I stopped taking glucosamine because the doctor was astounded by the fact that I have been taking it for so long.

Bottom line: My experience of knee osteoarhtitis, with persistent pain relieved by Artrodar and long term use of Glucosamine 1500mg taken every night prior to bed.

Hi...I am happy for your success in treating your condition. I hope it stays under control. The purpose of this piece was to offer a different approach that might interest those who have not found similar relief from drugs and supplements.

11 hours ago, thaichiro said:

Hi...I am happy for your success in treating your condition. I hope it stays under control. The purpose of this piece was to offer a different approach that might interest those who have not found similar relief from drugs and supplements.

Thank you for your wishes.