The Expat Files: Celebrity English teacher Andrew Biggs talks about life in Thailand

webfact

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 10:48 AM, KittenKong said:

Not only have I never heard of him, no one I know has ever heard of him either. And all of us seem to have managed perfectly well for decades in our unenlightened state.

I suspect that he is some sort of Kardashian, which is a synonym for pointless media nonentity. The only difference with that lot is that I have heard of them, though even so I have no idea who they are or what they do.

The Kardashians are the gold star of celebs famous for being famous while doing nothing to be famous except being famous.

If nothing else it just goes to show how stupid and f'd up society has become that anyone would watch their stupid show longer than long enough to realise it is a stupid show about complete non entities.

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

???????????????????

I never heard of the man either, and I have no idea as to why I should have.

BTW, the headline should read "talks about life in Thailand as HE sees it". Every expat has a completely different take on life in Thailand and none of us can claim to have the "authorised" version.

The guy has the biggest expat/felang presence, especially in all media forms, in Thailand comfortably. Watch a bit of Thai tv, read the Thai papers, he's in/on there. Shit, even most Thais I know have heard of him, and I live in the boondocks.

As I said, maybe you need to get out more...

And I quite like the guy....

16 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Celebrity English teacher

In who's opinion?

He used to be a newsreader in the '90s / early '00s....in the Thai language.  He has a very impressive command of Thai and is very well known by Thais.  Many expats may not know him but then most don't seem to know about Thai celebrities or, for that matter, what happens outside the farang ghettos.

On 10/18/2017 at 11:04 AM, dddave said:

You mean all those culturally sensitive GI's on R&R?

When I went to LOS in 1977, it seemed that many preferred the "party hard" types over us culturally sensitive Peace Corps types.  But my poor farmer clients liked me.

On 10/18/2017 at 4:34 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Someone who works hard, who has integrated who has reached a level of mutual respect... 

Someone who has made their life here truly successful.... Hats off to him... 

I can see why some may make bitter, sour & twisted comments which would say more about themselves than anyone else who enjoys a level of success and happiness in their efforts to live and enjoy life.

It is foreigners such as Andrew Biggs who raise Thai opinion of foreigners otherwise tarnished by the monging-masses...  It is people like him we have to thank for our general positive treatment when in Thailand. 

True. I think Andrew Biggs could be described by the Thais as the user friendly Farlang.

I quite admire this guy because he is one the very very few westerners that has made a real success of it in Thailand and legally. I am sure many including me would love to have his success and good reputation in the LOS.

On 10/22/2017 at 8:37 PM, thaiguzzi said:

The guy has the biggest expat/felang presence, especially in all media forms, in Thailand comfortably. Watch a bit of Thai tv, read the Thai papers, he's in/on there.

Sorry, you lost me with "watch Thai TV". I dont have cable at all any more so no Thai TV or local farang TV. Cant say that I've missed either.

Viva IPTV!

On 10/23/2017 at 5:05 AM, mstevens said:

Many expats may not know him but then most don't seem to know about Thai celebrities or, for that matter, what happens outside the farang ghettos.

Some of us aren't even interested in what happens inside the ghettos. Personally my interest level peaks at my front door.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 8:37 PM, thaiguzzi said:

The guy has the biggest expat/felang presence, especially in all media forms, in Thailand comfortably. Watch a bit of Thai tv, read the Thai papers, he's in/on there. Shit, even most Thais I know have heard of him, and I live in the boondocks.

As I said, maybe you need to get out more...

And I quite like the guy....

The idea that Thais gain their opinions about farangs from someone I never heard of scares me.

When Thai tv starts interviewing the "ordinary bloke" farang I'll support it. Till then, I'll put him along with all other celebrities in the "don't know, don't care" bin.

On 10/22/2017 at 12:13 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

The Kardashians are the gold star of celebs famous for being famous while doing nothing to be famous except being famous.

If nothing else it just goes to show how stupid and f'd up society has become that anyone would watch their stupid show longer than long enough to realise it is a stupid show about complete non entities.

That family are an enigma in themselves. I just assumed I was lacking in info and they in fact "did something" , but no it seems they are just famous.

One of them endorsed the product of a woman I met a couple of years ago, and her company now makes an insane amount of money. The world works in mysterious ways. :shock1:

On Mon Oct 23 2017 at 5:28 AM, SpicyMeatball said:

He now has his 15 minutes of fame on TV. WhupDeeDoo.

Can we move on from this bore?

Hilarious, you are posting multiple times in a thread about someone you consider a bore and then to be pleading for others to join you...?...

As to Biggs, hes certainly made his mark here, I wonder if his "public personality" has taken over his normal one and hes "on" all the time..

9 hours ago, kaorop said:

Hilarious, you are posting multiple times in a thread about someone you consider a bore and then to be pleading for others to join you...?...

As to Biggs, hes certainly made his mark here, I wonder if his "public personality" has taken over his normal one and hes "on" all the time..

Posting multiple times in a thread & "pleading" for people to join me?? Join me at what? Where am I "pleading" ? 

I consider this thread a bore & beyond its expiration date. 

Posting multiple times in a thread & "pleading" for people to join me?? Join me at what? Where am I "pleading" ? 
I consider this thread a bore & beyond its expiration date. 

Then don't read, and certainly don't contribute, to the thread! Biggs is interesting because he's one of the few farangs to have become a well-known media celebrity in Thailand. I can't stand him, but then I'm not Thai.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app