Trying to unlock Brexit, Britain's May to make offer on EU citizens

webfact

Trying to unlock Brexit, Britain's May to make offer on EU citizens

By Elizabeth Piper and Alastair Macdonald

tag-reuters.jpg

Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May leaves 10 Downing Street in London, Britain, October 18 2017. REUTERS/Toby Melville

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Theresa May will promise on Thursday to make it as easy as possible for European Union citizens living in Britain to stay after Brexit, trying to unlock stalled talks that have spurred calls for her to walk away.

Weakened by losing her Conservative Party's majority in a June election and failing to rally support at an ill-fated party conference, May had initially hoped she would regain some ground by persuading EU leaders at a two-day summit starting on Thursday to let Brexit talks move beyond matters of the divorce.

But EU leaders have ruled that out, saying London must agree to pay more as part of an exit settlement than May has said is acceptable. So she will instead try to change the focus, by offering more concessions for those EU citizens increasingly anxious about their rights in Britain after it leaves the bloc.

This is unlikely to alter the outcome of the Brussels summit. Continental leaders have been assuming for weeks that a deal can be struck on this issue. But it indicates British officials are pursuing a new course - adopting a softer approach to try to win over the bloc's negotiators, if not all its governments.

In a direct appeal to 100,000 EU nationals who have asked to receive updates on citizens' rights, May will say: "We are in touching distance of agreement" of securing the rights of the around 3 million people from other EU countries in Britain.

"EU citizens who have made their lives in the UK have made a huge contribution to our country. And we want them and their families to stay. I couldn't be clearer: EU citizens living lawfully in the UK today will be able to stay," she will write on her Facebook page, according to an advance text.

She was to add that she will set up a group of those affected and digital, technical and legal experts to make sure the process to remain is smooth.

"I know both sides will consider each other's proposals for finalising the agreement with an open mind. And with flexibility and creativity on both sides, I am confident that we can conclude discussions on citizens' rights in the coming weeks."

Offering concessions, May will say that EU citizens settling in Britain will no longer need to demonstrate Comprehensive Sickness Insurance, as they currently have to under EU rules.

A senior government official said the aim was to get clear commitments to "swift progress on both sides for an ambitious plan to be set out for what should be achieved in the weeks ahead and particularly a shared urgency in ... reaching an agreement on citizens' rights."

EU negotiators have, however, so far been wary of British offers that London refuses to back up by giving people a right to ask the EU court to enforce if British courts do not.

CHANGE OF TACK

The offer is a change of tack by the British leader, who is under increasing pressure from Conservative Brexit campaigners to pull out of the talks which hit deadlock last week.

To add to her difficulties, the leader of Britain's main opposition Labour Party, Jeremy Corbyn, will also be in Brussels on Thursday to meet EU lawmakers to try to break "the Brexit logjam" created by what he called government "bungling."

EU leaders are expected to say at the summit the talks have not yet made "sufficient progress" for them to open the post-Brexit trade negotiations May wants. But they will make a "gesture" and recognise concessions May offered in a speech in Italy last month by telling EU staff to prepare for talks on a transition period needed to ease uncertainty for business.

"I don't expect any kind of breakthrough tomorrow," Donald Tusk, the chairman of EU leaders, said on Wednesday.

"We have to work really hard between October and December to finalise this so-called first phase and to start negotiating on our future relationship with the UK."

Some EU officials said Britain could unlock the talks by putting a higher figure for the divorce bill on the desk of chief negotiator Michel Barnier, something May says she cannot do until she has an understanding of the shape of future ties.

With only 17 months until Britain leaves the bloc in March 2019, May is under pressure to move the talks forward or risk leaving the bloc without a deal and plunging into uncertain trading conditions that could hurt the world's seventh-largest economy.

But on the so-called divorce bill she has little room for manoeuvre. If May offers more than the around 20 billion euros she outlined in the Florence speech, she risks angering some in her party, which, according to two sources, is getting ready to line up a successor.

A senior British government official said she would not change position on the financial settlement and instead would focus on the deal on EU citizen rights - one of three issues that the EU says must be resolved before the talks can move on.

The official said the change of focus was not to try to save face at the summit, at which she will present her case for Brexit over a dinner on Thursday. She will then be excluded from the other 27 EU members' discussions on Friday about Britain's planned departure from the wealthy bloc.

May was left empty-handed this week after telephoning German Chancellor Angela Merkel and French President Emmanuel Macron, leaders of the Union's leading powers who have taken a hard line on the talks.

Even a dinner in Brussels on Monday with EU Commission chief Jean-Claude Juncker and Barnier won only a joint pledge to "accelerate" the process.

"We are also starting to think about what could it be in such a situation (of no-deal) but we still hope that won't happen," a senior EU diplomat said.

"We are still optimistic that it won't happen, can't imagine the Brits would be so reckless about it. It's just that the timetable may get a bit more stressful."

(additional reporting by William James in London, Philip Blenkinsop and Gabriela Baczynska in Brussels; Editing by Cynthia Osterman)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-10-19

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is all about the demand for money.............nothing else

If the EU keep on demanding 100b or even 50b then no agreement will ever be reached

I don't think that any UK citizen would argue with that

Corbin should also come out and say that 100b or even 50b would be unacceptable to him or state exactly what his position is regarding the divorce bill, the media should be pressing him on this.

52 minutes ago, smedly said:

Yup. First thing is to get an agreement of the outstanding balance and the previously agreed responsibilities. EU has been very clear about this marching order, from the very beginning.

Second part is the deal itself. Whether there will be deal or no-deal, is only secondary issue. UK will have to pay it's bills in any case.

Edited by Guest

43 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Yup. First thing is to get an agreement of the outstanding balance and the previously agreed responsibilities. EU has been very clear about this marching order, from the very beginning.

Second part is the deal itself. Whether there will be deal or no-deal, is only secondary issue. UK will have to pay it's bills in any case.

and what is missing, well the EU have so far been unable to publish a figure and reason for that is because they would then have to publish how they reached that figure

Every citizen in the EU (580 odd million) have an equal responsibility towards the running bill of the EU - not just the UK

They are demanding but unable to establish the facts - 20b is the offer and it seems that they will either have to agree to that or get nothing at all and I think you will find that every tax payer in the UK future and present will agree with that, so the EU needs to think again.

It has been mentioned before that this amounts to nothing less than a form of blackmail I happen to agree with that and if the demand doesn't change then the UK should just walk away not matter what, I believe it is getting close to that. 

53 minutes ago, oilinki said:

UK will have to pay it's bills in any case.

Actually, there is no legal requirement to pay anything. And if the EU are unable or unwilling to to quantify their demands the UK should leave without a deal.

58 minutes ago, oilinki said:

The EU have been very UNCLEAR in defining exactly what the ‘divorce bill’ should be, and how it is computed.

Typical of the tub thumping is Poland saying that the UK should pay as much as possible for as long as possible.

I quite like the French response to situations like this.....”NON!”.

This is what many across the board are saying (below quote) and as I stated in my earlier post we are quickly approaching the "walk away stage", it would not be the preferred outcome for all concerned but there is only so much of this BS that you can take, yes in the short term it may cause some challenges but in the long term perhaps not. The main thing now as time runs out, is getting on a course that is certain and getting all hands on deck.

The EU has assumed that if they play this game long enough the UK will reverse brexit and remain in the EU, sorry but as time passes that is looking more unrealistic than it was 12 months ago, all the people  of the UK (remain or leave) need to waken up to this abuse and see it for what it is, they are not dealing with some micky mouse Nation that they can manipulate as they please, enough is enough.

A group of pro-Brexit Tory and Labour politicians - including former Chancellor Lord Lawson, former Conservative minister Owen Paterson and Labour MP Kate Hoey - is urging Mrs May to walk away from negotiations this week if the EU does not accommodate the UK's wishes.

A letter to the PM, organised by the Leave Means Leave campaign and also signed by pro-Brexit business figures, says the government "has been more than patient" and "decisive action" is now needed to end the "highly damaging" levels of uncertainty facing businesses.

In the event of no progress at Thursday's meeting, the letter says, Mrs May should formally declare the UK is working on the assumption it will be reverting to World Trade Organisation (WTO) rules on 30 March 2019.

Early notification of such a move would allow the UK to "concentrate our resources on resolving administrative issues" and prepare to "crystallise the economic opportunities" of Brexit, it adds.

pretty much say it all

25 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

The EU have been very UNCLEAR in defining exactly what the ‘divorce bill’ should be, and how it is computed.

Typical of the tub thumping is Poland saying that the UK should pay as much as possible for as long as possible.

I quite like the French response to situations like this.....”NON!”.

The joke about it is that 3/4 of the  EU countries calling for this money from the UK have donated absolutely nothing financially to the EU - they are all spongers including Poland

16 minutes ago, smedly said:

and what is missing, well the EU have so far been unable to publish a figure and reason for that is because they would then have to publish how they reached that figure

Every citizen in the EU (580 odd million) have an equal responsibility towards the running bill of the EU - not just the UK

They are demanding but unable to establish the facts - 20b is the offer and it seems that they will either have to agree to that or get nothing at all and I think you will find that every tax payer in the UK future and present will agree with that, so the EU needs to think again.

It has been mentioned before that this amounts to nothing less than a form of blackmail I happen to agree with that and if the demand doesn't change then the UK should just walk away not matter what, I believe it is getting close to that. 

EU's responsibility is to make the best deal possible for the EU citizens. Don't forget, you are on the other side of the table now. 

It's the same thing, when UK is going to negotiate trade deals with for example Jordan. Are you willing to let Jordan, as much smaller country and economy to dictate the negotiations and just bend over? Of course you are not. 

Actually it's not even the same thing. EU has not need to do things hastily. UK has the need to be fast now, and also after Brexit, when negotiating new trade deals with everybody.

I'm not sure whether EU has told some figures to the May and other Brexit negotiators. 

37 minutes ago, smedly said:

This is what many across the board are saying (below quote) and as I stated in my earlier post we are quickly approaching the "walk away stage", it would not be the preferred outcome for all concerned but there is only so much of this BS that you can take, yes in the short term it may cause some challenges but in the long term perhaps not. The main thing now as time runs out, is getting on a course that is certain and getting all hands on deck.

The EU has assumed that if they play this game long enough the UK will reverse brexit and remain in the EU, sorry but as time passes that is looking more unrealistic than it was 12 months ago, all the people  of the UK (remain or leave) need to waken up to this abuse and see it for what it is, they are not dealing with some micky mouse Nation that they can manipulate as they please, enough is enough.

A group of pro-Brexit Tory and Labour politicians - including former Chancellor Lord Lawson, former Conservative minister Owen Paterson and Labour MP Kate Hoey - is urging Mrs May to walk away from negotiations this week if the EU does not accommodate the UK's wishes.

A letter to the PM, organised by the Leave Means Leave campaign and also signed by pro-Brexit business figures, says the government "has been more than patient" and "decisive action" is now needed to end the "highly damaging" levels of uncertainty facing businesses.

In the event of no progress at Thursday's meeting, the letter says, Mrs May should formally declare the UK is working on the assumption it will be reverting to World Trade Organisation (WTO) rules on 30 March 2019.

Early notification of such a move would allow the UK to "concentrate our resources on resolving administrative issues" and prepare to "crystallise the economic opportunities" of Brexit, it adds.

pretty much say it all

I hope that that actually happens. Make a decision and stick with it, show some strength. 

35 minutes ago, smedly said:

I think, for most of the people, there was the initial shock that UK is really leaving EU. That time has past by now. 

Currently EU has adapted to the Brexit and have started to think what benefits for EU Brexit can bring. More unity, more ability to take the EU to the next level etc. 

I'm sorry to say, but I feel that Britain is behaving like a spoiled kid, who has been denied a new toy. EU however doesn't respond to kid's cries, but expects Britain to behave like an responsible adult. 

9 minutes ago, oilinki said:

I think, for most of the people, there was the initial shock that UK is really leaving EU. That time has past by now. 

Currently EU has adapted to the Brexit and have started to think what benefits for EU Brexit can bring. More unity, more ability to take the EU to the next level etc. 

I'm sorry to say, but I feel that Britain is behaving like a spoiled kid, who has been denied a new toy. EU however doesn't respond to kid's cries, but expects Britain to behave like an responsible adult. 

you think there is an upside for the EU.....really  ?

If the UK walks away then there is only downside for the EU, the UK will be initially downside too with huge potential for upside, the EU has no upside from the UK walking away............none

More unity lol.................go study plans from Germany and France for a 2x speed EU LMAO

Edited by smedly

2 minutes ago, smedly said:

you think there is an upside for the EU.....really  ?

If the UK walks away then there is only downside for the EU, the UK will be initially downside too with huge potential for upside, the EU has no upside from the UK walking away............none

More unity lol.................go study plans from Germany and France for a 2x speed EU LMAO

*When* the UK walks away. It's done deal. We should all agree with that.

In the future EU can become more and more United States of Europe. 

15 minutes ago, chrissables said:

I hope that that actually happens. Make a decision and stick with it, show some strength. 

I believe that is the path they are now on unless the EU decide to start actually talking, time is running out and if the UK are going to walk away without a deal then it needs to happen now so they can get on with where they are going, the EU has messed around time wasting long enough..........no more and everyone will have a clear understanding of why they walked - that is very important

3 minutes ago, oilinki said:

*When* the UK walks away. It's done deal. We should all agree with that.

In the future EU can become more and more United States of Europe. 

and you believe the EU can survive the UK just walking away.........really ?

I will predict what will happen if the UK walks away now

In 2-3 years after the UK leaves the EU will approach the UK proposing a trade deal.

1 minute ago, smedly said:

In 2-3 years after the UK leaves the EU will approach the UK proposing a trade deal.

Remember what I said Britain being the spoiled kid? For some reason Brexiters think that Britain is the fountain of wealth and importance to the EU and the rest of the world. It's not anymore. 

The Leave folks seem to have understood that Britain is no longer as powerful by itself, as it was in the start of the last century. 

7 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Remember what I said Britain being the spoiled kid? For some reason Brexiters think that Britain is the fountain of wealth and importance to the EU and the rest of the world. It's not anymore. 

The Leave folks seem to have understood that Britain is no longer as powerful by itself, as it was in the start of the last century. 

That's great, then lets go and the EU can stop with the ridiculous and non quantified monetary demands.

They neither need or want us, so call it a no deal and leave March 2019 will suit us all.

Edited by chrissables

2 minutes ago, oilinki said:

All you do is deride the British and Britain, you are becoming very boring. Brexiters certainly don't think that. By all means keep on berating us, like you it is meaninless.

16 minutes ago, smedly said:

If the UK walks out without any agreements , how will  the non and tehnical trade barriers be overcome

1 hour ago, smedly said:

The 20b was not the divorce settlement, but the payment for the 2 yr transition period. The florence speech acknowledged that the UK would honour its commitments , but this has not translated into the negotations. From the speeches of the last round of talks , the UK do not know or unwilling to state which of the commitments they are willing to pay for.

Wow! so many hairy-chested Brits around these days. Walking tall (about 5'8" at last count).

The world is going to be a better place when all those nambypamby foreigners have gone back where they came from - um, Brussels. Oh and Poland too. And take their bills with them. And their skills (nursing, plumbing, edible food ... ).

7 hours ago, smedly said:

If the EU keep on demanding 100b or even 50b then no agreement will ever be reached

I don't think that any UK citizen would argue with that

Corbin should also come out and say that 100b or even 50b would be unacceptable to him or state exactly what his position is regarding the divorce bill, the media should be pressing him on this.

Well here is one UK citizen who would argue with that (nothing new there then :smile:).  Actually I expect the agreed figure will be short of 50b though not by that much.  I would think it is true that to get the settlement figure down May will make considerable concessions on other issues.

Of course you could be right that if the EU keep demanding a ridiculous amount of money then no deal would be done.  Which would mean either the suicidal approach and walk away without a deal or simply scrap Brexit. 

Corbin is going to Brussels for talks with EU country leaders though I am not sure how much difference that will make.

It is really very funny that still some UK citizen think, that they not have any oblication to pay, what their goverment signed for. And also they don´t have any clue what are the trading figueres of Great Britan. They trade with Sweden more than with China, they can´t sign any trade contracts until EU will allow this before march 2019. A trade deal needs about 7 to 10 years to be done, and the UK has to do every trade deal new. They dont have any now! 

The EU is for sure not happy about loosing the UK as a member, but we are not unhappy to loose the UK goverment like a subject we have to deal with. 

Before you shout agains the EU you should more worry what strange and useless people are in your UK goverment and acting like little kids with no support of the public. It doesnt matter how will be the outcome 50% of UK citizen will be against the outcome, there is no winner in the UK, only chaos! 

If you really think you just can say no, we not pay, we not talk and we walk away without heavy consequences, you never had a divorce in your family or within your friends. This attitude never works, it only shows the poor quality of your leaders, instead hard working and telling the trues to the UK citizen, what will happened, they telling lies and fairy tales. 

WAKE UP! It´s a divorce, pay your liabilities and try to find a agreement, both sides can live with, but like in a divorce it will not be as good as before you have been a member of the EU, because otherwise all couples would do a divorce, if you get more advantages ...

24 minutes ago, chickenrunCM said:

It is really very funny that still some UK citizen think, that they not have any oblication to pay, what their goverment signed for. And also they don´t have any clue what are the trading figueres of Great Britan. They trade with Sweden more than with China, they can´t sign any trade contracts until EU will allow this before march 2019. A trade deal needs about 7 to 10 years to be done, and the UK has to do every trade deal new. They dont have any now! 

The EU is for sure not happy about loosing the UK as a member, but we are not unhappy to loose the UK goverment like a subject we have to deal with. 

Before you shout agains the EU you should more worry what strange and useless people are in your UK goverment and acting like little kids with no support of the public. It doesnt matter how will be the outcome 50% of UK citizen will be against the outcome, there is no winner in the UK, only chaos! 

If you really think you just can say no, we not pay, we not talk and we walk away without heavy consequences, you never had a divorce in your family or within your friends. This attitude never works, it only shows the poor quality of your leaders, instead hard working and telling the trues to the UK citizen, what will happened, they telling lies and fairy tales. 

WAKE UP! It´s a divorce, pay your liabilities and try to find a agreement, both sides can live with, but like in a divorce it will not be as good as before you have been a member of the EU, because otherwise all couples would do a divorce, if you get more advantages ...

If only we had class act like Juncker. :cheesy: