Taking the bullet train to Pattaya - picture shows the shape of things to come!

webfact

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Just for the record, that train crash was in Spain. The Shinkansen has never had a fatality due to a crash. There was a dude who killed himself after he doused himself in fuel and lit a match.

8 hours ago, aslimversgwm said:

Usual negative comments from the same same contributors. 

Is nothing ever praiseworthy in your adopted country?

Please go get some attitude adjustments. Badly needed by many on here. 

I moved here as the BTS was getting started....the same old tired clichés around then.

"Build a train system in the sky--not while I'm alive"....."Thais will never be able to do it" ...etc  etc

Surly none of these comments could be coming from the Brits, who should be holding their head in shame over their inability to complete a mere 80 mile high speed train track (London/Birmingham) they have talked about for years, and in 2010 announced that the first phase  would be completed by 2026......16 more years just to complete the first stage of an 80 mile rail.

Of course since that announcement.....they haven't started.

The first phase of the £56bn railway is due to open in December 2026 www.bbc.com/news/uk

Yer Thais .....they will never do it.................I dont think  Paddy Power would even take a bet on who will have their rail link up and running first.

Edit**

Sorry didn't want to leave our American friends out.

USA

What a difference a coast-to-coast train makes. By 1930, you can traverse the entire country in just three days by rail. Here is where these maps stop becoming historical artifacts and start becoming damning pronouncements about our current state of affairs.

Eighty years later, it still takes three days to get from New York to the West Coast by rail.

We’ve made zero progress in the speed of our rail travel since 1930.

While around the rest of the world, we see trains setting speed records, we have to be content with our 1930 train speeds. Perhaps it’s time to spend a little more cash to take our trains into the modern era?-- https://www.fastcompany.com/1681032/these-old-maps-show-that-americas-rail-system-hasnt-improved-in-almost-a-century

4 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Re-read the op.....the stations will not be equidistant. Plenty of time to get to high speed......maybe not 400k/hr like the Chinese bullet trains.

High speed is 300kph in China you may be thinking of Maglev

7 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

I moved here as the BTS was getting started....the same old tired clichés around then.

"Build a train system in the sky--not while I'm alive"....."Thais will never be able to do it" ...etc  etc

Surly none of these comments could be coming from the Brits, who should be holding their head in shame over their inability to complete a mere 80 mile high speed train track (London/Birmingham) they have talked about for years, and in 2010 announced that the first phase  would be completed by 2026......16 more years just to complete the first stage of an 80 mile rail.

The first phase of the £56bn railway is due to open in December 2026 www.bbc.com/news/uk

Yer Thais .....they will never do it.................I dont think  Paddy Power would even take a bet on who will have their rail link up and running first.

Edit**

USA

What a difference a coast-to-coast train makes. By 1930, you can traverse the entire country in just three days by rail. Here is where these maps stop becoming historical artifacts and start becoming damning pronouncements about our current state of affairs.

Eighty years later, it still takes three days to get from New York to the West Coast by rail.

While around the rest of the world, we see trains setting speed records, we have to be content with our 1930 train speeds. Perhaps it’s time to spend a little more cash to take our trains into the modern era?-- https://www.fastcompany.com/1681032/these-old-maps-show-that-americas-rail-system-hasnt-improved-in-almost-a-century

London to Birmingham is 125 miles .. The delay in construction of the Ldn to Bhm section is due to the Brits love of public enquires that give everyone a say as to whether they want 800 tonnes of heavy metal spearing through the countryside at 200 mph + at the bottom of their gardens and with public enquires will follow the inevitable appeals .. But eventually a way will be found so at some point construction will begin .. Its just how the Brits like to do things .. It is also worth mentioning that H S T 2 will be a true high speed network operating upto 240 mph and as has been well explained by Dave67 already even the lengths of track required for curve radii is a whole different ball game to trains running at lower speeds .. The press jamboree announcing this " bullet train to Pattaya " don't really know what they are championing I suspect .. Fast Passenger trains such as the Brit Intercity 125 running for the last 40 yrs at 125 mph with bursts upto 145 mph is far nearer the requirement of what is needed here rather than gigantic H S T projects that will see Thailand bondaged to China for ever more .. 

_20171020_000820.JPG

8 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

Edit**

USA

That's tellin' 'em . . . an excellent, all-ends-covered contribution to the debate IMHO. 

The original ( and best ) high speed train that topped 100 mph over 80 yrs ago .. Given the recent deal t'wixt Thailand and the U S to buy U S coal surely something like copies ( China could knock some up for Thailand I'm sure ) of the Flying Scotsman would do the job .. 

_20171020_004605.JPG

16 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

The original ( and best ) high speed train that regularly and reliably topped 100 mph over 80 yrs ago .. Given the recent deal t'wixt Thailand and the U S to buy U S coal surely something like copies ( China could knock some up for Thailand I'm sure ) of the Flying Scotsman would do the job .. 

_20171020_004605.JPG

Bootiful . . . and seldom seen with its blinkers on. But, although not a ton-up kid (in the record books, at least), for sheer brute power and beauty you cannot IMHO beat the Princess Coronation class. I once rode on the evening Euston to Glasgow train, hauled by '229', the Duchess of Hamilton, and that was after being invited onto the footplate and shovelling a few chunks of best quality coal into the firebox. And all that on the same day as my teacher-training college interview . . . eee, them were t'days!

duchess of hamilton2.jpg

9 minutes ago, Ossy said:

Bootiful . . . and seldom seen with its blinkers on. But, although not a ton-up kid (in the record books, at least), for sheer brute power and beauty you cannot IMHO beat the Princess Coronation class. I once rode on the evening Euston to Glasgow train, hauled by '229', the Duchess of Hamilton, and that was after being invited onto the footplate and shovelling a few chunks of best quality coal into the firebox. And all that on the same day as my teacher-training college interview . . . eee, them were t'days!

duchess of hamilton2.jpg

Yep got you on that one Oss' .. Indeed they are still quite magnificent to look at whether stationary in a station holding steam or on the move through the countryside .. 

8 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Yep got you on that one Oss' .. Indeed they are still quite magnificent to look at whether stationary in a station holding steam or on the move through the countryside .. 

And, for many years now, both these beauties - tho' lady Hamilton now in its streamlined costume - on show at the BR Museum in York and, I think, still with free admission.

2 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

My old man did an apprenticeship in Stratford Railway workshop as  a welder boiler maker during WW2 he went of to work there until the 60s so he would have made stuff like that in the picture

5 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

London to Birmingham is 125 miles .. The delay in construction of the Ldn to Bhm section is due to the Brits love of public enquires that give everyone a say as to whether they want 800 tonnes of heavy metal spearing through the countryside at 200 mph + at the bottom of their gardens and with public enquires will follow the inevitable appeals .

Hi Justgrazing..yes I was out on that it is  101 miles not 80 sorry--thank you for picking it up  . 1/

Every country has interested parties that do not want the Train near them....or feel that they should get an exorbitant amount for their plot of land. All of the land for the BTS & most for the HSRL  (high speed rail link) was all obtain under different elected governments. The British have the power to take any land under the beefed up 1986 CPO act, (Compulsory purchase order)

Compulsory purchase orders (CPOs) allow public bodies to force homeowners to sell up if their property obstructs a regeneration project or it’s for the “greater public good”.

Whether they have the fortitude to do and risk losing a parliament seat for the greater good of the country is another matter.

I guess Justgrazing I get a little PO at the attitude of some of the people here have towards their new home. This country has made so many advances in relation to other Asian countries--its amazing, (I dont count Singapore as you can fit the whole country into BKK twice  and still have room over---infrastructure is a lot easier when your just dealing with just a football field)

Go Look at India...sent a rocket to Mars---(God knows why) is a nuclear power etc etc..how would you like their rail system, with people hanging off the sides.....or their neighbour another nuclear powerhouse...Pakistan. Just trying to start its BTS

Gosh the amount of mud the Thai lot get if they buy a tank let alone spend billions on nuclear bombs.

The underground system BKK installed not so many years ago....(while all the Thai basher's were saying that cant be done either) is outstanding to use, & to tunnel underground in a city that large, & put in prevention of flooding etc...it would be a first class system in any country.

Cant do this Rail system to Pattaya---dont put your house on that will you.

1/https://www.distancecalculator.net/from-birmingham-to-london

22 hours ago, aslimversgwm said:

Usual negative comments from the same same contributors. 

Is nothing ever praiseworthy in your adopted country?

Please go get some attitude adjustments. Badly needed by many on here. 

There is much praiseworthy about my preferred country, but I'm not allowed to comment on it so I just use my long experience of LOS to comment on what is likely to happen, rather than the fairy tale version.

1 hour ago, oxo1947 said:

Whether they have the fortitude to do and risk losing a parliament seat for the greater good of the country is another matter.

I guess Justgrazing I get a little PO at the attitude of some of the people here have towards their new home. This country has made so many advances in relation to other Asian countries--its amazing, (I dont count Singapore as you can fit the whole country into BKK twice  and still have room over---infrastructure is a lot easier when your just dealing with just a football field)

Go Look at India...sent a rocket to Mars---(God knows why) is a nuclear power etc etc..how would you like their rail system, with people hanging off the sides.....or their neighbour another nuclear

The underground system BKK installed not so many years ago....(while all the Thai basher's were saying that cant be done either) is outstanding to use, & to tunnel underground in a city that large, & put in prevention of flooding etc...it would be a first class system in any country.

Politicians will never do anything that might cost them power. Only statesmen do that, and there are no statesmen left.

I don't care if LOS is better than other Asian countries. I don't want to live in them. LOS could be the best country in the world if it wasn't for the corruption. The amount of money here is astronomical, but it never gets spent on building great infrastructure, and maintenance is a bad joke.

Singapore is entirely relevant. They built great infrastructure because they were not corrupt, and the government cared about the people. Nothing to do with the size of the country.

India will never get ahead of it's population, as long as it allows unrestricted breeding.

The only naysayers I remember on the Bkk underground were Thais.

It's not even a particularly well designed system either. Probably didn't want to pay for the best architects and engineers.

They may well build it, but not because it's a good thing for the people. Most of the people won't be able to afford to use it.

The money would be better spent on improving the railway they already have. Instead of building an entirely new system that will benefit hardly any of the population, they could just buy better trains to run on the existing track. The long distance day trains are a disgrace.

Be nice if they cleaned the engines sometime, too.

42 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

Hi Justgrazing..yes I was out on that it is  101 miles not 80 sorry--thank you for picking it up  . 1/

Every country has interested parties that do not want the Train near them....or feel that they should get an exorbitant amount for their plot of land. All of the land for the BTS & most for the HSRL  (high speed rail link) was all obtain under different elected governments. The British have the power to take any land under the beefed up 1986 CPO act, (Compulsory purchase order)

Compulsory purchase orders (CPOs) allow public bodies to force homeowners to sell up if their property obstructs a regeneration project or it’s for the “greater public good”.

Go Look at India...sent a rocket to Mars---(God knows why) is a nuclear power etc etc..how would you like their rail system, with people hanging off the sides.....or their neighbour another nuclear powerhouse...Pakistan. Just trying to start its BTS

Gosh the amount of mud the Thai lot get if they buy a tank let alone spend billions on nuclear bombs.

No worries Geez' .. The salient point here is that the Thai authorities tend to make a rod for their own backs with some of the statements made on the subject of H S T's and this is the latest of quite a number the last few mths .. Is it a true High Speed Train line they are proposing as the figures and time scale don't really line up with it being that .. A reliable fast rail link would be great t'wixt the Int' airport and Pattaya or Bangkok and Korat as was also bigged up recently but why not be more realistic in aiming for simply a fast commuter train system rather set thereselves with these quite grand announcements for colossal projects that true H S T's systems are .. And sometimes the case for is further undermined when folk such as S P C G talking head Wandee is quoted in another thread that there is no need for Thailand to build controversial fossil fuel power stations any more .. How then will the power that true H S T's consume be produced bearing in mind the French for example built extra capacity into their generating system to provide for the T G V railways they have .. Yes the Brits can call on the C P O armtwist to clear the way for projects like H S 2 from London to Birmingham but that is a red hot poker to grasp , is always the last last resort and can still be subject to appeal .. The Skytrain I love using in Bangkok and it is proof that major engineering transport projects that are of great benefits here can be done .. A more modest announcement for just a fast commuter train system that is easier to achieve may not then attract the ridicule H S T do .. 

15 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

with these quite grand announcements for colossal projects that true H S T's systems are ..

Colossal projects result in colossal "profits", which would be the benefit ( for a few ) if it were indeed a real HST. Most Thais wouldn't be able to afford to use it, and because all the money would go to pay for the HST, there would be no investment on the rail system they do use.

5 hours ago, Keesters said:

200,000 million baht to get to Thailand's third class resort. ?

Amazing Thailand . . . it could only be Thailand. The tourists, sure as hell, will be hoping the return train goes even faster.

I take in your points of view TBL...and only have minor disagreements...

"I don't care if LOS is better than other Asian countries. I don't want to live in them"

Nor I--but when answering criticism I think you have to take in the country in relation to its neighbours, there would be little sense quoting Thai achievements against power houses like Germany etc..lets look at it in relation to its Peers.

"LOS could be the best country in the world if it wasn't for the corruption."

Yes I agree-- but I feel its more of an Asian thing than a Thai thing--other than maybe the 3 advanced countries Singapore/Japan/S.Korea  ..can we name corrupt free Asian country?

"They (*Singapore*) built great infrastructure because they were not corrupt, and the government cared about the people. Nothing to do with the size of the country."

I have to disagree --it's less than half the size of a Thai City. Do you know what is the very longest road in Singapore TBL ? it's 9 klms ( Yio Chu Kang  RD) imagine you have to get your people to work--move goods ..trade etc...and the very longest road you have to build and maintain is 9 klms long--you dont feel that's a bit of an advantage?

"The only naysayers I remember on the Bkk underground were Thais. "

You obviously have a much wider circle of Thai friends than me TBL.... at that time I was living in BKK & mainly around farangs--most of them knew everything there was to know about engineering and assured us all it wouldn't work.

"It's not even a particularly well designed system either"

I have to point out TBL that this is still a work in progress....BTS etc connecting both airports etc & connecting to the underground in different places are still being built.

"They may well build it, but not because it's a good thing for the people. Most of the people won't be able to afford to use it".

I dont know if you are commenting on the BKK system or the HSR system to Lao/China--If its the BKK system I think anyone Living in BKK will tell you its a raving success, Last time I stayed there (April) I had difficulty getting onto some lines...just packed with people. Although I was told by my usual friends "Why they build it--Thais wont use it".

The HSR system going to Lao/China--I think most people dont quite realise the urgent needs, This is not primary for people to have a day out in Essan-- You have a land locked country that Thailand is exporting Billions to & that is also growing so fast. All along the highways to Lao there are billions being spent to try to keep up with this export--A new bridge at Mukhadan to ease the Nong Kai traffic...new underpass in Khon Kean to ease the NE bound traffic--new ring roads being put in in Udon Thani as the roads are getting torn up with the hugh trucks going through the city, new Fly over and new underpass being started last month on the highway leading to Lao.....honestly TBL I could go one endlessly, but I am sure most people have noticed the amount of work going in upgrading BKK-Lao highway (Number 2) compared to other roads.

It isn't a coincidence that the HSR link will stop in Mataput- The Oil refinery, (they have it as Rayon--which it does indeed come under that area name)  The rail link will ensure that Lao is fed by 2 countries---China & Thailand.

You can not do anything better for the growth of a country..then to invest in its infrastructure.

2 hours ago, tallfarang said:

What a deal, at 200 million baht that is less than half the price of the radar guns being bought for the police.

You've dropped a trio of zeros, here, mate. Until I checked your name, I assumed you were Thai . . . they're good at that and so good at making it look accidental, afterwards, with that BIG smile.

Archived