White House says Trump's check to military family has been sent

webfact

White House says Trump's check to military family has been sent

tag-reuters.jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks during a meeting with members of the Senate Finance Committee at the White House in Washington, U.S., October 18, 2017. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The check has been sent.

That was the message from the White House on Wednesday after the father of a slain U.S. Army sergeant said a generous offer from President Donald Trump had not materialized.

Chris Baldridge told the Washington Post that Trump offered his family $25,000 after the death of his 22-year-old son at the hands of an Afghan police officer in June. But he told the newspaper the money never arrived.

A White House spokeswoman said on Wednesday the media was advancing a "biased agenda" by following up on the Baldridge story.

"The check has been sent," White House spokeswoman Lindsay Walters said in an email. "It's disgusting that the media is taking something that should be recognized as a generous and sincere gesture, made privately by the president, and using it to advance the media's biased agenda."

The issue added to controversy over Trump's response to military families who have lost loved ones. On Monday, Trump said some of his predecessors "didn't do anything" to console relatives of fallen soldiers, drawing widespread criticism.

Trump offered no evidence to back up his claim, which was immediately shown to be false.

On Wednesday, Trump denied an account by Representative Frederica Wilson of Florida that he had told the widow of Sergeant La David T. Johnson, who was killed in a firefight in Niger, that the man knew "what he signed up for."

"I didn't say what that congresswoman said," Trump told reporters earlier in the day. "I had a very nice conversation with the woman, with the wife who ... sounded like a lovely woman," he said.

Sergeant Johnson's mother, Cowanda Jones-Johnson, told The Washington Post on Wednesday that she was present during Trump's call to her son’s widow and she supported the congresswoman’s account of Trump's comment.

“President Trump did disrespect my son and my daughter and also me and my husband,” Jones-Johnson said.

(Reporting by Jeff Mason and Steve Holland; Editing by Caren Bohan, Toni Reinhold)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-10-19

14 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

white-house-says-trumps-check-to-military-family-has-been-sent/

I like that expression.

It sounds so nostalgic.

So 19th century.

Mind you, for practical purposes a bank transfer would be easier.

Given Mr Trump's err, record of serial bankruptcy the banks may have reservations about dealing with him?

In fact I'm mildly surprised that he has a cheque book!

Of course it may be a case that " there are still cheques in the cheque book so I must still have money in the bank!"

??

His mouth gets him in trouble.  Again.  He has a serious blurting problem.  He likely realized, after the fact, his gaff sets an expensive precedent.  2 months from now, when the family says they still haven't received the check, he'll deny ever say it.

9 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

His mouth gets him in trouble.  Again.  He has a serious blurting problem.  He likely realized, after the fact, his gaff sets an expensive precedent.  2 months from now, when the family says they still haven't received the check, he'll deny ever say it.

Maybe the Trump Foundation, his "charitable organization", will cut him Trump a check for 25,000. It would be the first time that the Trump Foundation has made a donation to Trump.

12 minutes ago, Grouse said:

25k? Big deal

Exactly,All expense paid weekend trip to the White House's Lincoln Room  with breakfast and lunch and a  tour of Washington DC. would be  more appropriate me think's. 

3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

white-house-says-trumps-check-to-military-family-has-been-sent/

I like that expression.

It sounds so nostalgic.

So 19th century.

Mind you, for practical purposes a bank transfer would be easier.

But then Donald couldn't say "the check is in the mail."

Maybe Donald didn't understand when you pledge to do something like make a donation you have to follow-thru with the pledge/donation.   It can't be like an empty campaign promise.

I think you have all got the wrong end of the story here. "Check" means to examine (something) in order to determine its accuracy, quality, or condition, or to detect the presence of something" or "stop or slow down the progress of (something undesirable)" (Dictionary). Which I think the White House means and would make sense - especially the latter. 

4 hours ago, William T said:

But the 64 Dollar question is "WHEN" was it sent.

And also, how long back was it actually promised by the Jerk in Chief?

Presumably sometime not long after the soldier's death in June, as cited in the OP article. So any way you cut it, probably, it's been quite a few months with no action to keep the original promise.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

And on the issue of Trump's alleged insensitive comment (he knew what he had signed up for)  to the widow of the other slain soldier, let's see, who am I more likely to believe -- the Jerk in Chief... or....

Sergeant Johnson's mother, Cowanda Jones-Johnson, told The Washington Post on Wednesday that she was present during Trump's call to her son’s widow and she supported the congresswoman’s account of Trump's comment.

“President Trump did disrespect my son and my daughter and also me and my husband,” Jones-Johnson said.

In a Facebook message to The Post, Cowanda Jones-Johnson said that she, too, was in the limousine, and that Wilson’s account of the conversation was accurate.

pixel?mid=00bb70a80ee8f020d9011cbcef307fe64d

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2017/10/18/fallen-sgt-la-david-johnson-caught-in-trump-call-controversy-was-a-family-oriented-soldier/

And then there was this added gem from the congresswoman describing what happened between the widow and Trump during/after the call, as quoted from the same WP article:

When she actually hung up the phone, she looked at me and said, ‘He didn’t even know his name.’ That’s the worst part,” Wilson [the congresswoman] said Wednesday on CNN’s “New Day.”

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I think that the explanation is rather simple.

On the spur of the moment, Trump said I will personally send you a cheque.

But as he considered this to be so totally unimportant, he simply forgot to give instructions to his staff.

So the cheque never got sent.

When the story emerged, his people in charge of damage control decided to use the lame "it's in the mail" explanation.

Evil people do evil things unintentionally.

That's why they are evil.

That's why it is pointless to argue with them.

17 hours ago, klikster said:

"Check's in the mail", seriously?

I hope she sends it back with a note. "We don't need your stinking money".

Gotta love Donnie. The old "check's in the mail" routine. Conman down to his fake silk sox.

H.L. Menken was right (as usual): Americans will eventually get as president a moron exactly like themselves. 

Called it again, Henry.