30 Baht healthcare experiences

wildwildbill

Healthcare is proving a massive headache out here. Here with the family for a year or so. I am a UK citizen and my wife and daughter have dual Thai/UK citizenship. We had some travel insurance that I was planning to extend when plans became clearer, but that has now expired. My wife seems happy to rely on 30 Baht healthcare, so was wondering what people with actual experience with the system think? I am going to have to get something sorted for myself too. My experience of private healthcare treatment out here hasn't been particularly great, as they seem to throw a lot of pills at you regardless of your condition. 

• Like 1

Suggestions

Do not get stressed, relax and enjoy

If your wife has government employment you may be able to piggy back on her medical cover

I guess you young man get your wife to get quotes for you to peruse

Leave wife and kids on 30 baht scheme

Stay healthy and be happy, you can always go home  ! !

Even some accident cover for you not expensive  and covers the bigger risks of motorcycle cover

Talk to expat friends same age as you see what they do

At least you are thinking about it

Good luck

• Like 1

If you need for yourself (and you do) you probably should be looking at overseas providers rather than any Thailand based and may want to cover wife and child for inpatient as that would be the major expense for most people and 30 baht type care can be subject to very long queues at inopportune times so good to have an option.

Most Thai do not believe they are getting their moneys worth if they do not leave with a bunch of pills.  Yes often over prescribed, especially at small hospitals/clinics.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, al007 said:

Suggestions

Do not get stressed, relax and enjoy

If your wife has government employment you may be able to piggy back on her medical cover

I guess you young man get your wife to get quotes for you to peruse

Leave wife and kids on 30 baht scheme

Stay healthy and be happy, you can always go home  ! !

Even some accident cover for you not expensive  and covers the bigger risks of motorcycle cover

Talk to expat friends same age as you see what they do

At least you are thinking about it

Good luck

Not so if you are from the UK.  NHS England will not deny you emergency treatment but if you have been out of the UK for more than three months you will be given a bill for the treatment and classed as an Overseas Visitor.   Non emergency treatment is available after waiting three months.  Not a problem currently as waiting times in UK for non emergency are generally much longer than three months. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Unfortunately my experience over the last few month is that the private hospitals want to admit for even minor things and then keep the patient there as long as possible.They wanted to admit my 18 month daughter for the flu and a fever of only 38 C (technically not even a fever) and I know there is no treatment for flu. At the time I didn't know much about it and thought we should play it safe. Then after he temperature was normal, they wanted to keep her there for another 24 hours. And my wife who'd been staying with her got the flu, after that additional 24 hours but had no fever and they wanted to keep her there for 24 hours. We got out of there. And I've seen this type of thing a few times, but only recently. It used to not be a problem.

I remember maybe 12 years ago getting a 40 C fever in the USA. Once the doctor verified it was just the flu, he said I just had to wait for it to go away and it would be gone within 2 weeks Well it didn't go away and I traveled to Thailand with the fever. After a week in Thailand I got worried and went to a hospital in Chiang Mai. The doctor said its the flu. You just have to wait for it to go away.

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Most Thai do not believe they are getting their moneys worth if they do not leave with a bunch of pills.  Yes often over prescribed, especially at small hospitals/clinics.

Yeah I agree. I think that in general Thais believe they actually have something wrong with them when they go to a doctor and expect the doctor to prescribe something. I can 't imagine a Thai doctor saying to a patient 'all they have is a flu. Go home and rest.' Loss of face on the patients part and bad gossip about the doctor being 'no good'.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

Again, need to carefully choosethe doctor. Quite frankly you do mot want the average doc.

re 30 baht scheme for wife and child, usually fine but will depend on the hospital.

This happened to me at 2 different hospitals. And like I said, I never encountered this until recently. My take on this is its hospital policy to maximize profits. 

Actually the first time it happened, I got really angry and said I wanted to talk to someone about it. They found an administrator who spoke English really well. I told him I thought they had admitted just to make more money. He agreed with me, but said there was nothing he could do. Possibly he just said that to avoid any argument. But it doesn't seem that likely.

AFAIK Thai 30 baht hospitals are OK for Thais, as long as they don't mind very long wait times. Frequently, they are told come back tomorrow. A little bit inconvenient for  someone in the middle of a heart attack.

The language barrier with falangs means we are better off with a private hospital. However, the charges levied on falangs can vary quite wildly.

7 hours ago, JackScarlett said:

Not so if you are from the UK.  NHS England will not deny you emergency treatment but if you have been out of the UK for more than three months you will be given a bill for the treatment and classed as an Overseas Visitor.   Non emergency treatment is available after waiting three months.  Not a problem currently as waiting times in UK for non emergency are generally much longer than three months. 

Please dont scaremonger and make incorrect statements. It is actually 6 months out of the UK and that is if they acually know you are out of the country and you are not maintaining a UK address and not still be registered with a doctor.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dan5 said:

This happened to me at 2 different hospitals. And like I said, I never encountered this until recently. My take on this is its hospital policy to maximize profits. 

Actually the first time it happened, I got really angry and said I wanted to talk to someone about it. They found an administrator who spoke English really well. I told him I thought they had admitted just to make more money. He agreed with me, but said there was nothing he could do. Possibly he just said that to avoid any argument. But it doesn't seem that likely.

Naturally private hospital management and owners would like to have as many admissions as possible but they are not the ones who make the decision to admit patients, doctors do, and doctors are individuals. That this happened in two different hospitals does not mean that all the doctors in those hospitals do this. It just means the two you saw do.  Again, need to choose physician with great care.

Also note that you have to consent to hospitalization, you can refuse and should if you believe it is unwarranted or at least first get a second opinion. 

For pediatrician, several TV members have recommended Dr. Savitri at the Savitri-Sharin Clinic.

I have a treatment with Sri Mahaphot hospital for 2 months, they have found how to treat  my problem and now I "ll go every three months to get my ( not many ) meds, I don't pay 30 bahts but price is so low ( 500 bahts for three months and blood check ) that my health insurance gives me back all my money ; the only inconvenient is 5 hours wait, but every three months , it's ok and staff is quiet and nice 

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Naturally private hospital management and owners would like to have as many admissions as possible but they are not the ones who make the decision to admit patients, doctors do, and doctors are individuals. That this happened in two different hospitals does not mean that all the doctors in those hospitals do this. It just means the two you saw do.  Again, need to choose physician with great care.

Also note that you have to consent to hospitalization, you can refuse and should if you believe it is unwarranted or at least first get a second opinion. 

For pediatrician, several TV members have recommended Dr. Savitri at the Savitri-Sharin Clinic.

Another point is that hospital stay is quite cheap at most facilities and doctor may feel treatment will actually take place as directed there and observation will be better.  I do not blame doctors too much for caution and believe they normally are acting for what they believe is patients best interest.  They normally make no profit by admitting patient (other than normal consultation that they would be as an outpatient).  And if financials are an issue do not believe many push.  Overall believe being able to get into hospital is what I consider a plus factor here.

7 hours ago, jimn said:

Please dont scaremonger and make incorrect statements. It is actually 6 months out of the UK and that is if they acually know you are out of the country and you are not maintaining a UK address and not still be registered with a doctor.

I am not scaremongering. I was merely repeating part of the contents of a medical confidential email I received last week on this very subject from my Member of Parliament after I raised the problem with her.  She informed me that after consulting the appropriate government departments the situation is what it is and there was nothing that could be done about it.  As I am not in a position to challenge her I accepted her reply as fact.  No intention to scaremonger. 

I maintain an address in the UK which all of my mail and bank correspondence is sent to

I am on the electoral roll for my constituency and I pay Income tax at the 40% bracket and the DWP have been notified when I leave and arrive UK - in accordance with the requirement of DWP - which is approximately 3 or 4 time annually and yet I would still be treated as an Overseas Visitor or so I am informed.

3 hours ago, JackScarlett said:

I am not scaremongering. I was merely repeating part of the contents of a medical confidential email I received last week on this very subject from my Member of Parliament after I raised the problem with her.  She informed me that after consulting the appropriate government departments the situation is what it is and there was nothing that could be done about it.  As I am not in a position to challenge her I accepted her reply as fact.  No intention to scaremonger. 

I maintain an address in the UK which all of my mail and bank correspondence is sent to

I am on the electoral roll for my constituency and I pay Income tax at the 40% bracket and the DWP have been notified when I leave and arrive UK - in accordance with the requirement of DWP - which is approximately 3 or 4 time annually and yet I would still be treated as an Overseas Visitor or so I am informed.

I am sorry sir but I do question the response you had from the MP. Until a change in the NHS in 2015 if you left for an extended period then you would have to pay. Since This change, as long as you are classed as "ordinarily resident" in the UK then no charges will be applied. I question why you would inform the DWP when you leave the country. You say its a requirement, that may be so I dont know. For myself I maintain a house, doctor I am on the electorial role and I spend 7 months a year in Thailand. Never have I had a problem receving care on my return. In fact my doctor gives me 4 months medication to take away with me

As I said I am not in a position to challenge the response because as I have no other info.  However a report in a UK National newspaer seems to indicate that all UK hospital trusts have been instructed to ask for proof of residence by means of a community charge document,bank statement  before commencing routine treatment,so it may not be so serious after all.  It also states that after pressure from GPS, visits to the GP is 'free to all' and will NOT incur a charge.

In answer to your observation regarding DWP I tell them because they have required me to do so via the instruction printed on the reverse side of the annual pension letter and this results in my state pension being frozen.  Recently after arriving in the UK they sent me a letter saying they had noted I had returned and wanted to know when I would depart.

Big Brother in action.

We come to Thailand beginning next year - I am 62 years, medical condition so la la, diabetes 2 etc. - and my Thai wife, 38 years, medical condition perfect. We will loose our current full medical insurance we have in Switzerland.

1. Is my wife eligible to this 30Baht scheme ? My wife does not work. All our relatives in LOS are under the 30Baht scheme, seems to work with some minor surchages paid while under treatment.

2. I might not be eligible but with my decent list of ailments I already had, have - nobody would like to insure me exept for a horrific charge which could instead be used to pay medical cost just as incurred. Right ? But one question - how about accidents ? They may happen not only in connection with driving.

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

We come to Thailand beginning next year - I am 62 years, medical condition so la la, diabetes 2 etc. - and my Thai wife, 38 years, medical condition perfect. We will loose our current full medical insurance we have in Switzerland.

1. Is my wife eligible to this 30Baht scheme ? My wife does not work. All our relatives in LOS are under the 30Baht scheme, seems to work with some minor surchages paid while under treatment.

2. I might not be eligible but with my decent list of ailments I already had, have - nobody would like to insure me exept for a horrific charge which could instead be used to pay medical cost just as incurred. Right ? But one question - how about accidents ? They may happen not only in connection with driving.

I am not sure, but maybe could work. you can go to KTP Health Insurance in Switzerland. As you are still in Switzerland they have to take you. Then they also have Health Insurance for swiss people stay outside of Switzerland. Of course they costs are very similar to the cost you would pay in Switzerland. What I am not sure if for change the contract from Swiss to expat if they can refuse you! But I would try to check.

• Like 1

Your wife as a Thai citizen will be covered under the so-called "30 baht" scheme and yes, it works fine, though she will be limited to using crowded  public hospitals. You are not eligible.

You CAN get insurance, though not from a Thai insurer. There are international expat policies which cover people asold as 100. Your policy may exclude some conditions depending on what exactly you have and how stable.  Cigna Global tends to be pretty reasonable regarding pre-exisitng conditions. You do not need outpatient cover, just inpatient, and choose a policy with as much deductible or copay as you can comfortably afford.

Self-insuring is an option but it means having AT LEAST 2 million baht set aside for health care that you can then replenish if spent, more if you want the option of using private hospitals.

If you do not have that kind of money then should not come here uninsured.

Accident-only policies can be gotten and are better than nothing but I strongly, strongly advise against coming here without full health insurance unless you can self insure as described above.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2017 at 11:58 PM, jimn said:

I like this reply there is too much scaremongering, and comments coming from posters with limited knowledge

Remember, if you are a UK citizen and tell the hospital you are returning permanently you are eligible immediately, I have checked this out as it might just be necessary for me as a last resort

I have also been told by reliable sources you have to provide no evidence, just state it categorically you are back to stay, which when you make that statement is very correct, at the stage you are being admitted say very little, do not volunteer you have a wife and children in Thailand, it might just confuse matters

Now in the event one might have a change of heart later, like too cold in UK and you change your mind, you will not be given a bill for the earlier treatment

I have a lot of faith in both the UK and Thai systems, if you have a little money the Thai system may even be better, you have choice over consultant, in the UK this is not the case

Non UK citizens are probably qualified to comment on the UK system

I am not qualified to comment on the system in the USA, however I believe if you have no money you are still likely to be taken care of, as was my ex mother in law

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Self-insuring is an option but it means having AT LEAST 2 million baht set aside for health care that you can then replenish if spent, more if you want the option of using private hospitals.

Sheryl is very correct to be insured is  highly preferable, I would say the 2 millon baht figure rather high, unless the only option is Bumrungrad 

However I am well into 18 months of cancer treatment and surgery and will get out way below that figure, hopefully well under 1.Om bhatt, hopefully around 700,000, and all the time I could have flown home to UK, and saved all I have chosen to spend

Please do have accident insurance it is pretty cheap and covers that fall or accident on the roads, rebuilding after a major accident could be very expensive, but once stable maybe go back to UK

Lets look at some costs, open heart surgery 300,000 to 400,000,  are figures I have heard , my cancer treatment maybe 700,000,( chemo, radiation and colorectal surgery ) hip replacement say 100,000 plus or minus

An immediate reserve of 500,000 can go a very  long way, I only refer to using government hospitals, and using the funds very carefully, remember for UK citizens government hospitals maybe better than the UK, NHS,  SUBJECT to selecting your doctor very carefully, also this last option not possible in uk

I had prostrate surgery and all including flights to India was under US $ 4,000

Eye operations are not expensive

An individual needs to think what is the worst and what might it cost to fix, for female hysterectomy I would GUESS maybe 80,000/100,000, maybe some one comment on this figure

It would be interesting to have a list of possible surgeries and potential costs

Thailand is and can be very reasonable with medical costs unlike the USA

There are many situations when you may be well enough to return to the UK

I am still at the stage I could get on an aeroplane and go back to the UK

I also have a living will that says no expensive life support

Edited by al007
  • Like 1

And remember - government facilities may not be a good option for survival when time is a factor as queues can be long and then there is another factor; that getting our operation may delay or deprive someone else with no other options.  Best to have that insurance coverage for anyone that has the option.  Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.  Having financial issues along with medical is not a good strategy.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Smokemachine said:

The 30 baht scheme for the Thais is available only when they go to the hospital in their own residence province? 

If their tabien baan is stated at pattaya province. They can't use the 30 baht scheme in Bangkok. Is the policy still the same currently?

When it comes to low cost care they seem to be very strict on residence. When I went to the Chonburi hospital for my free flu jab many were being turned away because they did not live in the Mueang area. Its the same with the mobile health clinic.