Som Nam Na! Mum thought she was being kind to son, 11, giving him her phone - then he empties her account

rooster59

18 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

how did the kid access the bank account?

I had a similar situation about 12 months ago with my 8 year old with in app purchases. Kids are inquisitive and have good memories... when they want to.

Received a call late one Friday afternoon from my credit card provider saying there had been a number of unusual purchases. When i asked who to, they stated to Apple. When i questioned the amount i was told for the current month it was about Aus $ 8,000. I immediately cancelled the card and thought nothing more of it as travelling overseas often, it is common to have issues with cards.

Went a lay down for a while and the brain started questioning how, why etc.

I then realised it was my son and had memorised our email passwords , bit by bit by watching as we would log in and when an in app purchase appeared he tried it out, "5,000 coins for $159.00". When it worked once he tried it again the next day, sometimes mulitply times and so on. 

The total ended up just over aus $11,800 for the month.

Spoke to Apple, they were fantastic, thought they may come back and we would agree to a few $1,000.

They refunded every cent, rang me every second day with the progress.

The best customer service i have ever experienced given that our laziness to secure passwords was a major contribution.

Edited by Reigntax

20 hours ago, steven100 said:

agree ....   the game should refund the mother the amount as she was unaware of the fraud taking place and it was happening without her consent, also the bank should take responsibility if it was card or withdrawal related.

And the kid needs a good hiding with a cane for what he did.

No excuses ....  at 11 ...  a kid knows right from wrong  ...

I think you have had one "good hiding with a cane" too many. 

18 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Old but not that old - sorry - Thailand is 31st in world per April 2017 Wiki:  The point is addition is a real concern everywhere - you find the same screen staring outside of Thailand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_smartphone_penetration

Wow! Sweden jumped to #2 (with UAE  still at #1) according to the Wiki link. Gee, I wonder why that happened.

3 hours ago, Kadilo said:

I think you have had one "good hiding with a cane" too many.

oh yes ....  kids are so much better now and well behaved.  Counselling is the go ...   lol

ps.  I did get the wooded spoon a few times and it never did too much harm ... it taught me right from wrong.

23 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

how did the kid access the bank account?

The kid wouldn't have had access to it. Usually cards are linked to a primary app like "Google play store" for instance. That way when a game app is bought or when you want to buy something within an existing app on your phone you do not need to constantly enter your card details. It is done through "play store".

Some apps are tricky when you buy level increases, extra stars or whatever. The purchases can be so intricatly threaded within the game that you do not even realise you are using "real money" to buy half the stuff.  

An 11 year old kid when playing games inevitably wants to go up level, get stronger, beat the baddies, beat the boss, win the race etc so of course he will click the button that allows that to happen.

The mum is solely to blame here. 

22 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

All I can say is Get Real. get real. A good caning is what the kid needs.

What a stupid thing to do to your mother.  Think of how long the woman had

to work to save that kind of money.

Geezer

agree ....  but the PC brigade think '  counselling is best '   lol

mind you .....   now the kid will sue the parents if they smack them for misbehaving.   !

The world has really gone twisted  !!   imo

13 hours ago, ericthai said:

Good suggestion!!  My niece got a new iphone a few years ago. She only had it one day and was at the mall some young guy came up asked her what time it was she didn't know how to use the phone yet he told her he knew how to check the time when she handed him the phone he ran off with it.  The police did catch him later that day, her phone had already been sold and the cash was gone. 

Doesn't only happen to kids, this is a common thing for Tourists in Hawaii, clean cut kid comes up to you and asks to use you phone to call parents to pick him up, then takes off like the wind with your phone.  One came up to me in a strip mall and asked to use my phone - I said on one condition, only if you can outrun a bullet and showed him my .38 special under my shirt..............he walked away very very fast.  But he was obvious, eyes shifting all over the place looking for the quickest way out etc etc etc.

6 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

Wow! Sweden jumped to #2 (with UAE  still at #1) according to the Wiki link. Gee, I wonder why that happened.

#100   North Korea = 25,000,000 population  cellphones  7