What is the BEST CAR BATTERY?

Pik

On 10/22/2017 at 4:49 AM, canthai55 said:

One that requires no maintenance, is cheap, and lasts forever. If you ever find one, let me know.

GS heavy duty not forever but they last a long time compared to others used IMHO.

21 hours ago, topt said:

OP did you search previous threads as have been many, many...........

Recent

I had a GS for 5/6 years in a truck and now on my second but not tried any others

20170621_111716.jpg.9417aee8441386d13bb0bad099c422db.jpg

So how long has your last battery purchase lasted?

Second battery in 5-6 years?

So about 3 or so years?

I'll not  muck round and will just replace after 32 -34 months.

Warranties in thailand  will not do any good.     I don't want to be stranded.

i

8 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

So how long has your last battery purchase lasted?

Second battery in 5-6 years?

So about 3 or so years?

I'll not  muck round and will just replace after 32 -34 months.

Warranties in thailand  will not do any good.     I don't want to be stranded.

Original battery lasted 5 to 6 years - I cannot be arsed to work out exactly how many months........

I then bought the one you see in the picture which was only June of this year so too early to say how long it will last.

I hope that is clearer to you..............

If you want to change your battery more often - up to you! :coffee1:

43 minutes ago, topt said:

i

Original battery lasted 5 to 6 years - I cannot be arsed to work out exactly how many months........

I then bought the one you see in the picture which was only June of this year so too early to say how long it will last.

I hope that is clearer to you..............

If you want to change your battery more often - up to you! :coffee1:

Yeah , thanks Mate.    

I found it unclear in your earlier post.    Good on you that you've had success with your  car/truck  battaries  

I find the SEA heat and climate takes away from the robust potential of  any battary.

Your experience proves mine is not correct.

Edit:   

Thank you for giving me the permission  to change my  car battary as often as I chose to do.      stoner.gif

Edited by watcharacters

16 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Yeah , thanks Mate.    

I found it unclear in your earlier post.    Good on you that you've had success with your  car/truck  battaries  

I find the SEA heat and climate takes away from the robust potential of  any battary.

Your experience proves mine is not correct.

Edit:   

Thank you for giving me the permission  to change my  car battary as often as I chose to do.      stoner.gif

Heat is the problem, with my forth battery on my ride, a cheap Thai brand L/acid, l lifted the hood when i got home every time, it is now on 3 years and 3 months, previous L/acid batteries lasted exactly 2 years with no hood lift..:smile:

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

my batteries always last over 6 years and have never opened my bonnet, complete BS waste of time,just keep them topped up.

My UK fun ride when I bought it had the battery under the hood and l had problems that l put down to heat, it was hot, so l welded a box in the boot floor with air vents in it for the battery. This did two things, put more weight over the axle to improve traction and take it away from heat, plus it had a constant air flow around it, so  it was a cooool happy bunny. From then on I had 2 L/acid batteies that lasted 20 years between them... :stoner:

9 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Might be an idiot but am genuinely curious as to how one tops up a battery if they never open the hood, is it mounted in the trunk ?

You don't normally need to top up a MF Battery.

Reason being that the when new there are several cms of 'electrolyte' above the plates ...that is why an MF Batteries tend to be tall.

Ford don't check the level when they service our EV ..they say not necessary.

Hope this info is of use

Edited by JAS21

26 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Might be an idiot but am genuinely curious as to how one tops up a battery if they never open the hood, is it mounted in the trunk ?

Many  of the replies posted as humor  on TVF don't faze me as I generally don't find them humorous

In the case of your reply Viking, I honestly chuckled out loud and I'm  sitting here  alone at the moment.   

Your post was spot on.   It was entirely logical and appropriate.

I think it's inappropriate  mini... would even come back with an "idiot"  response.    At the least,  he should have just  laughed at himself.

I think mini... was  just trying to use a figure of speech and wasn't really serious.

No blows exchanged over this one hopefully.

Edited by watcharacters

On 10/25/2017 at 3:06 PM, MINIMIGLIA said:

oh dear always 1 idiot?

Well you started it.

Not as bad as the idiots that assume that just because their car has an excellent, natural, cooling air-flow around the battery and thus they haven't cooked their battery that every other car must be blessed with the same excellent, natural, cooling air flow around the battery that their car has.

Here's a clue...

...and the bonus is you don't even have to look in another thread to find it.

PS. I'm not a compulsive bonnet-opening, battery-cooling type either but I don't pretend that my experience with batteries in my vehicles is empirical and that people that do embrace the bonnet-opening, battery-cooling regimen are all dolts.

Edited by NanLaew

• 3 months later...

New Nissan Xtrail - battery just failed after 20 Months. No warning signs, started perfectly  up to that point and then an hour after parking wouldn't start in a mall car park.   The solenoid clicked like crazy and every single system was flashing on and off for 30 seconds after i took my finger off the button which made me think it was a computer or electrical problem.    We have some kind of Nissan cover for 3 years and they sent a guy out who did the same disco light start attempt and then jump started us and told me not to stop the car and go straight to the Nissan and get a new battery. Also said to replace battery every year.   On the way discovered that Navigation and Entertainment system had been taken out either by the failed start attempts or the jump start.     Had some liability "discussions"  with Nissan as the car had been serviced 2,000KM ago, no warning issued on possible battery failure, and they had done the jump start.  Conclusion I pay for new battery, Nissan warranty fixes electronics.  

I post this as a warning to Nissan owners  that operating the starter with a flat battery might take  out important electronics which could get expensive if you are out of warranty, or get a third party to install the battery and give Nissan someone else to blame.   Not sure why they can't install a low battery warning light. It would be more useful than the rubbish Nissan GPS.    Coming from a cold country I didn't really didn't realise how short battery lives are here.    This probably should be on the new driver information page. 

57 minutes ago, turgid said:

New Nissan Xtrail - battery just failed after 20 Months. No warning signs, started perfectly  up to that point and then an hour after parking wouldn't start in a mall car park.   The solenoid clicked like crazy and every single system was flashing on and off for 30 seconds after i took my finger off the button which made me think it was a computer or electrical problem.    We have some kind of Nissan cover for 3 years and they sent a guy out who did the same disco light start attempt and then jump started us and told me not to stop the car and go straight to the Nissan and get a new battery. Also said to replace battery every year.   On the way discovered that Navigation and Entertainment system had been taken out either by the failed start attempts or the jump start.     Had some liability "discussions"  with Nissan as the car had been serviced 2,000KM ago, no warning issued on possible battery failure, and they had done the jump start.  Conclusion I pay for new battery, Nissan warranty fixes electronics.  

I post this as a warning to Nissan owners  that operating the starter with a flat battery might take  out important electronics which could get expensive if you are out of warranty, or get a third party to install the battery and give Nissan someone else to blame.   Not sure why they can't install a low battery warning light. It would be more useful than the rubbish Nissan GPS.    Coming from a cold country I didn't really didn't realise how short battery lives are here.    This probably should be on the new driver information page. 

Think their "change the battery every year" is a bit daft. For sure a battery's longevity is related to the rides daily usage, a ride that does a lot of short trips with many start up's will feel the pain..My Vigo is used that way and 2 L/acid batteries lasted exactly 24 months..