SETV harder to get now?

Has anyone experienced or heard any news about difficulty getting SETV from Phenom Phen. My daughter was there recently, an American, and many were being turned away for one reason or another. We are currently in Cambodia, and this is the only Thai Embassy in the land. Warhat is the best embassy in the region to obtain a SETV? I am American, about 3 years shy of qualifying for a retirement visa. 

Also, any news on Thailand seeking to get rid of foreigners out of the Kingdom? thanks!

• Like 1

How many Thai visas do you have in your current passport? If you have none, or only one or two Thai tourist visas in your passport, you will not have a problem getting a single entry tourist visa in Phnom Penh. However, it may well take four business days, and you will likely be asked to show onward flight ticket out of Thailand plus hotel reservations in Thailand. You can usually reduce the time taken to get the visa, and have the agent fudge the other requirements, by using an agent to do the application on your behalf. Obviously, this costs you a few dollars.

The nearest consulate where you can pretty much guarantee being able to get a visa, regardless of your previous visa history is Savannakhet in Laos. There you apply in the morning and receive your passport back with visa early afternoon of the following day. In Savannakhet, you must do the application yourself, and will need onward flight and hotel reservation.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BritTim said:

How many Thai visas do you have in your current passport? If you have none, or only one or two Thai tourist visas in your passport, you will not have a problem getting a single entry tourist visa in Phnom Penh. However, it may well take four business days, and you will likely be asked to show onward flight ticket out of Thailand plus hotel reservations in Thailand. You can usually reduce the time taken to get the visa, and have the agent fudge the other requirements, by using an agent to do the application on your behalf. Obviously, this costs you a few dollars.

The nearest consulate where you can pretty much guarantee being able to get a visa, regardless of your previous visa history is Savannakhet in Laos. There you apply in the morning and receive your passport back with visa early afternoon of the following day. In Savannakhet, you must do the application yourself, and will need onward flight and hotel reservation.

Maybe Vientiane?   'Haven't heard of too many people having problems there, and I know I never have (although I don't have that many in my passport).  'Have never requested one in Savannakhet and I'm sure it's as you say, but I would generally consider Vientiane a bit more accessible.

So in Phnom Penh, if you have more than, say, two Thai SETVs in your current passport, no matter from where or how far apart or how long ago, that's an issue there?   

I was recently acquiring an SETV (Single Entry Tourist Visa - regards Catoni) from Phnom Penh. I had lots of education visas and tourist visas in my Swiss passport and got the visa without much problems. The lady handling my application was giving me bit of a hard time - as with anyone, just seemed to be her method - was saying, I might not get one, but I did.

I provided a bank statement from a Swiss bank, the copy of the flight out ticket, a passport copy and a photo.

I had to go to the embassy itself, as an agent, that went through my passport, shook his head and said: Too many visas already. :-)

So why did I get the visa? No idea. Maybe a nationality, that they like?

1 hour ago, Catoni said:

jst... what is SETV ? ?   Not everyone is familiar with the acronym.

Is it too much to ask to type it out in full one time ? 

I think just about everyone is familiar with the abbreviation.  SETV = Single Entry Tourist Visa

• Like 1

2 hours ago, frimu said:

I was recently acquiring an SETV (Single Entry Tourist Visa - regards Catoni) from Phnom Penh. I had lots of education visas and tourist visas in my Swiss passport and got the visa without much problems. The lady handling my application was giving me bit of a hard time - as with anyone, just seemed to be her method - was saying, I might not get one, but I did.

I provided a bank statement from a Swiss bank, the copy of the flight out ticket, a passport copy and a photo.

I had to go to the embassy itself, as an agent, that went through my passport, shook his head and said: Too many visas already. :-)

The amount in your Swiss account may have had a lot to do with it.  Both Phnom Penh and Manila (PI) are now reported to want to see a minimum of 1K USD (equivalent, vs the usual 20K Baht) in a bank-account, in addition to proof of a flight out.  More money is better, as it undermines the "coming to work illegally" rationale for denying visas (however pointless that rationale is, given Cambodian and Burmese citizens, with a strong financial-incentive to work here, take Thai jobs by the millions).

I concur with your report of agents having less leverage than they did in the past.  I was told by an agent who had always succeeded previously, that "express service" options were no longer available at any price. 

5 hours ago, Catoni said:

jst... what is SETV ? ?   Not everyone is familiar with the acronym.

Is it too much to ask to type it out in full one time ? 

Nice one, Catoni, and by the way BE stands for Buddhist Era, you add 543 to the year and get it. 543+2017=2560. We are in BE 2560. Cool, aint it?

• Like 2

I’ve yet to hear of people in their 40+ having any issues at all, but I have heard of folk in their 20-30s finding it just a tad harder. I guess maybe they figure younger people ought to be working and not obtaining back to back tourist visas? And if they are rich enough to not work and to live in Thailand on back to back tourist visas, then welcome to the Elite visa :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

10 minutes ago, mduras01 said:

I’ve yet to hear of people in their 40+ having any issues at all, but I have heard of folk in their 20-30s finding it just a tad harder. I guess maybe they figure younger people ought to be working and not obtaining back to back tourist visas? And if they are rich enough to not work and to live in Thailand on back to back tourist visas, then welcome to the Elite visa :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

555 you got it!

16 minutes ago, mduras01 said:

But if over 50, and not rich enough to afford an Elite visa, that's ok.  But if under 50, it's not ok, even with 3x+ more disposable income than the median-Thai income.  Don't look for logic in it, nor an awareness of the offshore income possibilities which are one of the fastest-growing income-sectors in the world.

On the upside, in cases of those with a Tourist Visa + 20K Baht worth of cash, I recall only one report of someone being denied.  A more recent case involved the forced-purchase of a throwaway ticket.  Some "grillings" with reluctant permitted-entry have been reported.  But all these involved airport-immigration.  If one gets a visa, has the cash, and avoids air-entry + the Poipet/Aranyaprathet crossing (other unfriendly reports),  these rare but troublesome situations can be avoided all together.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, frimu said:

I guess they think that living under the Swiss flag is a big plus?

Im sure it has to do with the individual who does your visa application or the Immigration officer when entering. I'm an older lady , never had an overstay, always on visas , spending 3 to 4 months through the European winter in Thailand. So obviously I have a visa and extension, or a second visa in my passport for every year I come here. I was once taken aside on arrival at Suvarnabhumi by an IO and spoken to not too politely. My passport was about 7 years into the ten, it had visas for every year I had been in Thailand, and he didn't like it ! I renewed my passport after that.I always have plenty cash , statements from my home bank and rental agreements with me. So, any thoughts on this?

But if over 50, and not rich enough to afford an Elite visa, that's ok.  But if under 50, it's not ok, even with 3x+ more disposable income than the median-Thai income.  Don't look for logic in it, nor an awareness of the offshore income possibilities which are one of the fastest-growing income-sectors in the world.

On the upside, in cases of those with a Tourist Visa + 20K Baht worth of cash, I recall only one report of someone being denied.  A more recent case involved the forced-purchase of a throwaway ticket.  Some "grillings" with reluctant permitted-entry have been reported.  But all these involved airport-immigration.  If one gets a visa, has the cash, and avoids air-entry + the Poipet/Aranyaprathet crossing (other unfriendly reports),  these rare but troublesome situations can be avoided all together.

It was my understanding you still need to have 400-800k baht for a retirement visa? I don’t keep track of it so I don’t remember. But if they haven’t been enforcing it—for now—that’s another thing. Somehow I figure they’ll start enforcing it when they feel like it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, geisha said:

Im sure it has to do with the individual who does your visa application or the Immigration officer when entering. I'm an older lady , never had an overstay, always on visas , spending 3 to 4 months through the European winter in Thailand. So obviously I have a visa and extension, or a second visa in my passport for every year I come here. I was once taken aside on arrival at Suvarnabhumi by an IO and spoken to not too politely. My passport was about 7 years into the ten, it had visas for every year I had been in Thailand, and he didn't like it ! I renewed my passport after that.I always have plenty cash , statements from my home bank and rental agreements with me. So, any thoughts on this?

May I ask what year that was?  And if you recall, what exactly did they say the "problem" was? 

Note that every IO can see all your entries on their computer-screen, but given their orders seem to include examining every page of a passport, it is quite possible that the sight of the visas, one after the other, has a psychological effect.

By your description, you are the perfect Thai visitor - putting lots of foreign-cash into their economy year on year, and clearly not working illegally here.  You even "go back to your country" every year, which some IOs seem to think adds some sort of "value" to visitors and the money they spend.  That IO's fellow citizens benefit directly from your visits.  He either doesn't know (i.e. "understand economics"), or doesn't care. 

This is exactly the type of case where most advice here would be, "Oh, they aren't looking for folks like you.  You have nothing to worry about."  Most of the time, this is true.  But these hopeful opinions reflect an assumption that logic plays a consistent role in the screening process.  Sadly, it does not.  Everyone should be sure to have 20K Baht in cash - every time - just in case you run into "that" IO.

Your response - carrying cash (minimum 20K Baht worth), bank-statements from home, and rental-agreements - is a smart move.  It is sad you must take those measures, but it is the only available defense.  I am glad you did not let that IO's short-sighted / foolish attitude get in the way of helping all the good Thai people with your continued business.  They certainly do appreciate your repeat-visits.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, mduras01 said:

It was my understanding you still need to have 400-800k baht for a retirement visa? I don’t keep track of it so I don’t remember. But if they haven’t been enforcing it—for now—that’s another thing. Somehow I figure they’ll start enforcing it when they feel like it :)

Retirement - Must be 50.  Then, 800K in the bank, or 65K / mo in income, or a combination totaling 800K / year.  Far short of an income that would, generally, allow for the purchase of a TE visa. 

It is enforced, unless one uses an agent within certain jurisdictions, in which case an annual cash payment of ~25K skips all the requirements entirely - except for the age-restriction (the one requirement that doesn't actually matter is the one that sticks, of course).

2 hours ago, geisha said:

I am normally highstrung after a flight and to be taken aside by an IO and to be dealt with "not too politely" I dont know how I would have reacted in your place. Certainly pays to be an older lady, I think, honest. But sometimes there are these types who fit the description of the IO you mention, if you will, who just want to impress you with the fact that they were in control. I am sure they meant well. I used to frequently come across such types in the West Indies. And they normally let me go not without writing for me their name and number on a piece of chit, in case I forgot.