Lost Packages ???

Datsunlover

So I have 2 packages from the US sent USPS that cannot be found or tracked.  The tracking goes as far as Bangkok to I assume customs and stops.  One has been in transit 21days and the other 34days.  The one in transit for 34days shows to have arrived in Bangkok 28days ago.  The 21day transit package, this is the second time I’ve ordered this from the states, the first never came just some simple straps for wakeboard bindings.

Is this normal ? If it is normal at what point do I panic ? Or any other ideas or suggestions ...

I had 5 things shipped from 4 different countries not get through in the past year....It was all good/unique/quality camping stuff that can't be found here - (one was 2 sets of LED off road lights I wanted to give my FIL &BIL)....

The little inconsequential stuff has breezed through....

Same, unchanged address....

On another forum it seemed to be a quite common complaint - for farang ordered/bound goods not ever delivered.....

Draw your own conclusions....

Interesting. I have the same problem.

My hobby entails purchasing small parts from around the world, usually 500 baht or so from US, Europe Eastern Block and Asian Countries. On average I have 6 to 8 parcels a month coming from all over the world. In 5 years I lost only one. Until 3 Months ago when they simply stopped arriving. I have now lost 25 packages in the last 3 months and have stopped ordering anything. Unfortunately the value is so low its not worth insuring or sending via a carrier as it makes it too expensive, so I have just given up for now.

Yes, I also lost a package containing some probiotics from Canada. Also a letter from Canada.

Customes also confiscated two small probiotics ( like Vitamins) because I did not have an import permit.

Obviously a lot of pilfering is going on this year. Until last year mails were fast and everything arrived.

I have had problems the other way Thailand to USA . 5 packages lost that were sent first 2 weeks of September. before and after that period seems to be OK. These are all going through NY. California no problem. I presume they are in Customs NY as they haven't shown up in USPS. Bit weird, since I haven't had anything go astray in last 5 yrs! Then in that 2 weeks everything goes missing !!

1 hour ago, NVass said:

Interesting. I have the same problem.

My hobby entails purchasing small parts from around the world, usually 500 baht or so from US, Europe Eastern Block and Asian Countries. On average I have 6 to 8 parcels a month coming from all over the world. In 5 years I lost only one. Until 3 Months ago when they simply stopped arriving. I have now lost 25 packages in the last 3 months and have stopped ordering anything. Unfortunately the value is so low its not worth insuring or sending via a carrier as it makes it too expensive, so I have just given up for now.

Present situation : Do NOT expect anything of VALUE -

to arrive at your door,  naughty fingers -

would have moved them to the market for their own gain.

Make it : Registered & Insured by USPS or by COURIER if you don’t mind  the high cost , otherwise BUY LOCALLY ......

Edited by kg1947
spacing of sentences

In my experience, the parcels are more likely to arrive if sent via normal post rather than a courier company. The courier company items tend to attract more attention from Thai customs. I have sent many things via 'international signed for' from the UK Post Office and so far they have all been delivered safely to Thailand.

6 minutes ago, Jaggg88 said:

In my experience, the parcels are more likely to arrive if sent via normal post rather than a courier company. The courier company items tend to attract more attention from Thai customs. I have sent many things via 'international signed for' from the UK Post Office and so far they have all been delivered safely to Thailand.

Absolutely, I agree 100%! 

7 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

I had 5 things shipped from 4 different countries not get through in the past year....It was all good/unique/quality camping stuff that can't be found here - (one was 2 sets of LED off road lights I wanted to give my FIL &BIL)....

The little inconsequential stuff has breezed through....

Same, unchanged address....

On another forum it seemed to be a quite common complaint - for farang ordered/bound goods not ever delivered.....

Draw your own conclusions....

Thai custom's simply keep it for themselves. This is the wild west and Thailand 4 is a pipe dream.lol

Christmas is almost upon us, everyone likes to get a present! 

Most problems I have has is mail coming from the West, small packages etc. coming from China and the East, very little problem.

Also, send it by DHL and you are asking for trouble, you will probably get your package but it will probably cost you twice the value of the goods.

24 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

send it by DHL and you are asking for trouble, you will probably get your package but it will probably cost you twice the value of the goods.

I agree. They not only add import duty and VAT (which is fair enough) but also add all sorts of extra charges like service fees, storage, this, that and the other, etc. I think it's a rip off, if not a scam. And the service isn't particularly quick, especially if you have to waste time sending them photocopies of your passport, explain how the product is used, etc. Best avoided.

I have had many items stolen  All my Thai neighbors know that it is the postal employees at our local post office that are stealing and they all laugh that there is noting we can do about it because it costs so little here to take out a contract to have a person shot. Any letter mail that feels like it has plastic inside or has the the name of a US bank or Finance company on the return address is always stolen, so my US credit cards have all been stolen, if delivered via Thailand Post.  Some years ago I requested all my credit card companies to send the cards to me via EMS of DHL. That is the only way that I can be sure to get them. 

3 hours ago, curtklay said:

Report it to [email protected]

It took a while, but they got my missing mail problem straightened out.

I was going to say to call it to the attention of the current (un-elected) Prime Minister but now I see above, a better suggestion............ LOL........... Contact the Post directly..........

I started losing packages last year (2016)...it's been a steady increase in lost packages...I no longer order anything from ebay, simply because only 30% of my orders arrive. For me, the problem is with packages from China...items from elsewhere seem to arrive very quickly...for orders within Thailand, I usually get things within two days, which is pretty amazing...I do not live in a big city, so perhaps the postal staff struggles with written English.

The tracking number is no longer helpful....

Check it online & shows in Thailand - - - Wait, then take the TN to the PO = response = "not in Thailand"......

Somebody, somewhere has a very lucrative concern.....

On Wednesday, October 25, 2017 at 6:25 PM, Formaleins said:

Christmas is almost upon us, everyone likes to get a present! 

Most problems I have has is mail coming from the West, small packages etc. coming from China and the East, very little problem.

Also, send it by DHL and you are asking for trouble, you will probably get your package but it will probably cost you twice the value of the goods.

Not only will you get stung by customs using DHL , but any packing around fragile goods will be removed resulting in breakages.  Furthermore small items within the package may disappear.

What I’ve learned from this thread is that my stance of never trying to have anything sent to Thailand is the best way. If I want stuff from eBay or Amazon it’s delivered to my home country and brought back with me. If I can’t carry it myself I don’t buy it. 

On 10/26/2017 at 7:08 AM, hdkane said:

I started losing packages last year (2016)...it's been a steady increase in lost packages...I no longer order anything from ebay, simply because only 30% of my orders arrive. For me, the problem is with packages from China...items from elsewhere seem to arrive very quickly...for orders within Thailand, I usually get things within two days, which is pretty amazing...I do not live in a big city, so perhaps the postal staff struggles with written English.

You might find your items back at a market in or around Bangkok. The only problem is that there are so many markets.