Do all Smart TV's have Wi Fi connectivity?

giddyup

This below is a good article, from a U.S.-UK perspective, of all the different operating systems used by the different major Smart TV manufacturers, and to say the least, it's a bewildering jungle out there. (I added info on some other manufacturers that the article doesn't include).

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/6-best-smart-tv-platforms-in-the-world-today-1120795/2

Sony - Android

LG - Web OS

Panasonic -  a version of Firefox OS

Phillips - Android

Samsung - Tizen

Sharp - Android

TCL - Android (but my TCL seems to be a proprietary version without Google Play access)

Toshiba - Android

Various low cost TVs - Roku OS (though I haven't seen any of these in Thailand)

IF I was going to rely on my TV itself to be smart (as opposed to relying on an external streaming device), the one thing I don't want a Thailand-purchased TV to do is lock me out of non-Thailand-available apps because they're not available via the proprietary app stores or pre-loaded apps available for these Thailand purchased TVs.

That's where, IMHO, generic Android TV OS TVs with Google Play Store access (not all Android OS TVs here include that) have an advantage over other manufacturers' proprietary OS smart TVs. But the two probably biggest TV brands in Thailand -- Samsung and LG -- are both in the proprietary OS/app store realm, AFAIK.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The problem with Smart TVs, as they're known, is they can pretty much stagnate after being released.

Nice write-up, but remember op is considering an LG model. No problems there.

On 10/25/2017 at 4:42 PM, VBF said:

Personally I wouldn't even consider buying a Smart "anything" in 2017 that didn't have Wireless connectivity :shock1:

I have wired all the TVs in my house. The connection (especially response time) is much more stable. I you want to use anything close to your line capacity (that is 4K with a narrow bandwith) I recommend wiring for not having any data loss from wireless transfer. 

Edited by wump

I have a Samsung smart TV bought here about 6 years ago. It does not have wifi but I dont need it as my router and PC are nearby and I dont like wifi anyway and always try to avoid it.

By default the TV has to access to apps that are destined for the Thai market but by connecting it to a VPN and resetting the TV's system region I got all the UK apps including iPlayer etc.

These UK apps work more slowly than they do in newer devices, but they do still work.

11 minutes ago, wump said:

Nice write-up, but remember op is considering an LG model. No problems there.

Does the Web OS app store available via LG Smart TVs sold in Thailand provide access to apps for non-Thailand-available services/apps such as Hulu (from the U.S.) or BBC IPlayer (from the UK), just as two illustrative examples?

12 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I have a Samsung smart TV bought here about 6 years ago. It does not have wifi but I dont need it as my router and PC are nearby and I dont like wifi anyway and always try to avoid it.

By default the TV has to access to apps that are destined for the Thai market but by connecting it to a VPN and resetting the TV's system region I got all the UK apps including iPlayer etc.

Thanks for mentioning that, KK...

I was wondering whether the user of a Thailand-purchased/market TV has the ability via using a VPN to then reset the TV to show/allow access to apps targeted for a different country? You seem to be saying yes. I think it's going to depend on the particular TV brand and how they've configured their app store.

But given that your Samsung is 6 years old, I'm wondering what OS it's running and whether that same change-apps-region-capability would apply to the current Tizen models Samsung selling now in Thailand?

By comparison, I don't think my Thailand TCL TV, even though it's running some vague old version of Android, allows that capability...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

35 minutes ago, wump said:

I don't know, but if they are available in other regions then when worse comes to worse he could just add some VPN in his router. 

Agreed.  I use a VPN for everything.  Why give up your privacy to some giant company or country?

18 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

If you have a internet connection better than 54 Mbits, go with cable.

Standard WiFi only supports 54 Mbits Max, but usually only deliveries 20 Mbits.

No such thing as 'standard' wi-fi. There are several standards 801.11b/c/g/n/ac with differing speeds. 802.11n is very common and came out in 2009. It operates in both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands at a maximum data transfer rate of 600 Mbit/s. 802.11ac is even faster but rare even now after being around for 4 years.

10 hours ago, amvet said:

My Sony has updated 5 times in the past two years.  Android TV's interface exhaustive content that TVs from Sharp and Philips will match, there will soon be a Sony-only add-on. All UK Sony Android TVs now have built-in YouView services, too.

With Android TV and YouView, Sony has at last got smart TV right – thanks to Google.

Sharp and TP-Link's Philips have also joined Sony in embracing the Android TV OS from Google, so it's hardly an industry standard just yet, but Android TV is polished enough to put it in the running.

It's not just in TVs though, you'll find connected boxes, like the Nvidia Shield and Razer Forge TV sporting Google's TV OS too.

Samsung Tizen interface monitors what you watch/use, suggests new sources, and allows some customization. A dynamically changing "Recent" box in the far-left corner cycles between recently used apps, TV channels etc. In the US, there's Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Hulu, HBO Go / HBO Now, YouTube, Spotify and Vudu. (Want even more apps? Check out our 10 best Samsung Smart TV apps gallery.

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/6-best-smart-tv-platforms-in-the-world-today-1120795/4

I use a VPN on my Sony.  It's running Marshmallow Android 6. now.  The big improvement was external storage so you can download as much stuff as you want and store it in portable drives.  I've been quite happy with the many updates to Android TV in the last two years.

Seems to me it is much easier to use an old computer instead of a set top box as it does 100% more and can integrate your phone into your TV if you have expensive smart phones (I'm using Samsung S7 and Note 4)

The picture quality is great in both 4K and upgraded older stuff with Sony's computer making older content look much better by computer enhancing.  Sound is lacking but a sound box and woofer take care of that.

Would you please ID the Sony model you have as well as the VPN you are using?  I am in the market for a VPN capable smart TV, but was under the impression that I couldn't do that, that I'd need a VPN router.  Perhaps you can offer some details.  Thanks

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I was wondering whether the user of a Thailand-purchased/market TV has the ability via using a VPN to then reset the TV to show/allow access to apps targeted for a different country? You seem to be saying yes. I think it's going to depend on the particular TV brand and how they've configured their app store.

But given that your Samsung is 6 years old, I'm wondering what OS it's running and whether that same change-apps-region-capability would apply to the current Tizen models Samsung selling now in Thailand?

I cant comment on other brands but the apps on my TV still update periodically so presumably whatever it runs on is still supported. I dont remember ever seeing any screens saying what the operating system actually is though.

I dont know about the newer models either, sorry.

11 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I cant comment on other brands but the apps on my TV still update periodically so presumably whatever it runs on is still supported. I dont remember ever seeing any screens saying what the operating system actually is though.

I dont know about the newer models either, sorry.

Samsung smart TV customers are complaining that a software update has rendered their TVs unusable.

what's hot on zdnet

Exasperated customers are also furious at the lack of support and poor communication from Samsung after the bad update rolled-out last Thursday.

I guess check before you update.  May be only in Europe. 

Linux-based Tizen: Critical bugs leave most Samsung Smart TVs open to attack.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/samsungs-bad-software-update-bricks-smart-tvs/

On 10/25/2017 at 9:42 PM, VBF said:

Why don't you just look in the manual?  http://www.lg.com/au/support/support-product/lg-49LJ550T   (Manuals & Documents)

That's the Australian variant obviously so check with your supplier which one he's offering. See the warning note in the attached for which models are affected.

Oh, and.....Google is your friend!

Personally I wouldn't even consider buying a Smart "anything" in 2017 that didn't have Wireless connectivity :shock1:

Capture.JPG.76a19a19833946095363629ed6dab469.JPG

If you want help Google is your friend but for abuse, there's no place better than ThaiVisa. Please understand that I am not saying you are an abuser.

Edited by whaleboneman
so as not to be misunderstood

If you have the choice look in Samsung. I believe that are better made and with better warranty and customerr service. I had big problems with a LG before just after 2 years...exactly when the warranty expired.

Edited by Muzarella

11 minutes ago, Muzarella said:

If you have the choice look in Samsung. I believe that are better made and with better warranty and customerr service. I had big problems with a LG before just after 2 years...exactly when the warranty expired.

And yet someone has just posted all Samsung Smart TV owners are having big problems with their TV's since a Smart upgrade.

29 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

If you want help Google is your friend but for abuse, there's no place better than ThaiVisa. Please understand that I am not saying you are an abuser.

I should hope not!  :shock1: That WAS how I found the manual, by the way 

• Thanks 1

"Pretty much spot on, but on the importing of Set Top Boxes, there is no problem if bought through Lazada, Lazada sort everything out."

I bought a set top box from Tukcom, 2200 baht and the guy installed all the apps for me. You need 20 mbps wifi as a minimum, 30 is better. I use mine in the Philippines all the time.

We have had two Smart TVs, for 4 years and we hardly use them. I prefer the 10" tablet and the TV box. I would not pay any extra for the feature now. The price seems good, though it could be last years model on clearance. but if you can get a Smart without paying  a premium, it could be worth it for you

2 minutes ago, biggles45 said:

"Pretty much spot on, but on the importing of Set Top Boxes, there is no problem if bought through Lazada, Lazada sort everything out."

I bought a set top box from Tukcom, 2200 baht and the guy installed all the apps for me. You need 20 mbps wifi as a minimum, 30 is better. I use mine in the Philippines all the time.

We have had two Smart TVs, for 4 years and we hardly use them. I prefer the 10" tablet and the TV box. I would not pay any extra for the feature now. The price seems good, though it could be last years model on clearance. but if you can get a Smart without paying  a premium, it could be worth it for you

There's also an LG 43" UHD 4K Smart TV available for around the same price.

Waste of money buying a smart tv. In a few years nothing will be compatible.

Better off buying a normal tv and a android box. When the android box becomes old news you just buy a new one at a nominal fee rather than having to buy a new smart tv.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mooner said:

Waste of money buying a smart tv. In a few years nothing will be compatible.

Better off buying a normal tv and a android box. When the android box becomes old news you just buy a new one at a nominal fee rather than having to buy a new smart tv.

In a few years it will probably be time for a new TV. Anyway, just because the apps become obsolete, the TV itself is still usable.

I'd differ from Mooner's advice a bit, while still generally agreeing.

I would NOT pay any meaningful premium in price to buy a smart TV in the Thai market, as opposed to the price of a comparable non-smart TV. But if I found a smart TV whose other features/details I liked at a comparable price, I'd have no problem getting that TV just for TV purposes.

One think I noticed when TV shopping last year was at least among the reasonably priced TVs, the Smart TV versions often tended to have a better complement of HDMI and USB ports built-in, which was something I wanted. The TCL Smart TV I bought came with 3 HDMI ports and two USB ports, which is good, but a lot of the non-smart TVs I was looking at had only 2 HDMI and 1 USB ports. Maybe that's gotten better with the next year of TV models.

In any event, if a person is simple in their streaming needs and tech awareness, then maybe a Smart TV where the basic things are built in and pre-configured makes sense. But for anyone who's into streaming and has even a modest willingness to deal with techie stuff, I think the standard TV along with your choice of streaming box or device tends to be a better choice.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'd differ from Mooner's advice a bit, while still generally agreeing.

I would NOT pay any meaningful premium in price to buy a smart TV in the Thai market, as opposed to the price of a comparable non-smart TV. But if I found a smart TV whose other features/details I liked at a comparable price, I'd have no problem getting that TV just for TV purposes.

One think I noticed when TV shopping last year was at least among the reasonably priced TVs, the Smart TV versions often tended to have a better complement of HDMI and USB ports built-in, which was something I wanted. The TCL Smart TV I bought came with 3 HDMI ports and two USB ports, which is good, but a lot of the non-smart TVs I was looking at had only 2 HDMI and 1 USB ports. Maybe that's gotten better with the next year of TV models.

In any event, if a person is simple in their streaming needs and tech awareness, then maybe a Smart TV where the basic things are built in and pre-configured makes sense. But for anyone who's into streaming and has even a modest willingness to deal with techie stuff, I think the standard TV along with your choice of streaming box or device tends to be a better choice.

Both the LG TV's I mentioned are Smart TV's, both have 3 HDMI and 2 USB ports, one is a 4k (43"), the other UHD (49"), both are around 15,500 baht, so it seems there is very little added cost for the Smart feature.

16 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Both the LG TV's I mentioned are Smart TV's, both have 3 HDMI and 2 USB ports, one is a 4k (43"), the other UHD (49"), both are around 15,500 baht, so it seems there is very little added cost for the Smart feature.

You may find that the 4K tv is actually also a UHD , and that the 4K label is nothing more than a gimmick.

https://blog.bestbuy.ca/tv-audio/4ktv/understanding-the-difference-between-4k-uhd-suhd-and-super-uhd-4

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 8:10 AM, PoorSucker said:

If you have a internet connection better than 54 Mbits, go with cable.

Standard WiFi only supports 54 Mbits Max, but usually only deliveries 20 Mbits.

Even "Ultra" HDTV only requires about 25Mbps, so there's no point using a cable just to get 54Mbps to that one device.  Netflix recommends 5Mps for HD-quality; 3Mbps minimum.  If you have an internet connection better than 54Mbps, and that's more than your WAP can route wirelessly (assuming your TV will even benefit from it) then you should seriously consider upgrading your router!   (For high-end viewing like that, I'm not sure a streaming device like Roku or AppleTV or Fire TV Stick or Google Chromecast wouldn't be preferable in the first place.)

Oh, and some Smart TVs are much "smarter" than others.   Some makes are notorious for connectivity issues that make it almost impossible to get the TV's own wifi connection working (something about the tv first having to reach back to the tv manufacturer's mother ship before activating the TV's internet connectivity).   'Have experienced this myself with brand new TVs in rental condos.  'Soooo glad I had my Roku stick, which made any issues with the TV's built-in wifi totally irrelevant.

Edited by hawker9000

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

Not sure of the purpose of your reply and the link to Lazada, unless you consider the sellers on Lazada are more knowledgable than some AV experts.

You posted that the 43" was 4K and the 49" was UHD.

I tried to explain that the 49" UHD is also ":4K" , because it is just a terminology used as a gimmick and real 4K is only available in cinemas and maybe very high end tv's.

So there will be no difference in picture quality between the 49" and the 43".