Narai Hotel appears to be charging separate pricing for Thais and foreigners

sicky

Although it isn't entirely clear from the use of English on Narai Hotel's booking website, when the room says "** THAI RESIDENCE!! **", I'm guessing that this is a rate for Thais, is that true?  I have to say, I really dislike this kind of thing.  I feel that the setting of Thai and foreign prices by businesses and other institutions, sets a precedent that discrimination is acceptable and furthermore that ordinary Thais are more likely to follow it as a result.

I don't know why the sentence contains exclamation marks - it could mean they are saying it is a residence in Thailand, no?  What exactly does Narai Hotel mean by the comment?

Narai.JPG

Edited by sicky

This is common on the booking sites now.  I just select the local rate anyway and nobody has mentioned it to me yet when I've checked in.  If they did I'd ask for a refund rather than pay more, if that was refused I'd go to Agoda or whoever I booked with for the refund.  Either way they'd be getting a 1-star review.

It has been common to charge a reduced rate of those who are resident in Thailand during off-season.  I recall paying lower rate more than 40 years ago at large chain hotel in Pattaya (and they checked that you did indeed live here - but expect that may vary).  Believe this allowed them to charge a lower price without violating there agreement with booking sites for normal low rates. 

I think the people it bothers should trade elsewhere.

Giving the hotel a bad rating after booking a room under (assuming) false pretenses seems unfair.

That said, resident means resident, it does not mean Thai.

Personally, I think it’s just a marketing device.