British navy sacks nuclear submariners over cocaine use

rooster59

British navy sacks nuclear submariners over cocaine use

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's navy has fired nine sailors serving on a nuclear-armed submarine after they tested positive for using cocaine, the country's defence ministry said on Saturday.

The crew were from HMS Vigilant, one of four Royal Navy submarines which operate the Trident nuclear missile system.

"We do not tolerate drugs misuse by service personnel. Those found to have fallen short of our high standards face being discharged from service," a Royal Navy spokesman said.

The Daily Mail newspaper reported that the sailors had failed drugs tests while the submarine was docked in the United States to pick up nuclear warheads and undergo work, and the sailors had been accommodated in hotels on shore.

A defence ministry spokesman declined to comment on the location of the incident but said: "There is no evidence to suggest any individual was under the influence while performing their duties."

The ministry also confirmed the submarine's commander had been relieved of his command pending investigation, but declined to give details.

Previous reports said this was due to an earlier unrelated incident.

Britain's four nuclear-armed submarines each carry eight operational missiles and 40 nuclear warheads, and have a crew of 135. Since 1969 Britain has had at least one nuclear-armed submarine on patrol at all times.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-10-29

The Scrooge of  drug use is so rampant and so widely used that hardly any place on earth that drugs are not present, even at the highest seats of the country/nation, police and armed forces, what can be done?  not much, the war on drugs is long time lost, and now the only thing left to do is damage control and containment...

39 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

"There is no evidence to suggest any individual was under the influence while performing their duties."

IF true, that is good news at least.

Somehow, the idea of drugs and nukes being used at the same time doesn't make me feel warm and safe... 

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The ministry also confirmed the submarine's commander had been relieved of his command pending investigation, but declined to give details.

The captain was removed earlier this month for an inappropriate relationship with a (female) member of his crew (BBC). Sounds like a real party boat, where do I sign up.

1 hour ago, nausea said:

The captain was removed earlier this month for an inappropriate relationship with a (female) member of his crew (BBC). Sounds like a real party boat, where do I sign up.

Lol they are real party boats, we were partying so hard once we were asked to quieten it down because the sonar boys couldn't hear anything but us.

No relation to Nixon hiding away in a dark room at the WH during his final miserable months ....drinking bourbon like water.   Which is worse?  .....a few hopped up boys on a sub who do their simple jobs like robots - compared to a drunk depressed paranoid man who could incinerate large tracts of the planet with a command.  

Coke actually makes a person more aware, and adept at mental/physical tasks.  Liquor dulls the senses and make a person clumsy, forgetful, mean and dense.

Aztec warriors were pumped up with coca leaf before battles.

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

IF true, that is good news at least.

Somehow, the idea of drugs and nukes being used at the same time doesn't make me feel warm and safe... 

Or maybe feel blindingly hot for a surprisingly short moment?

I used to watch a TV quiz show called, "Name That Tune."   I recall there was a tall blond man who was wickedly good, and would out-perform the other contestants easily.   He was coked out. His antics perfectly showed he was coked to the gills, including sniffing.  His alacrity was amazing.

Government and military don't want people like that.  They want plodding, semi-ignorant reptiles who run their ships into other ships, and who announce a warship is headed to N.Korea when it's actually headed south toward the Philippines.

52 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

I used to watch a TV quiz show called, "Name That Tune."   I recall there was a tall blond man who was wickedly good, and would out-perform the other contestants easily.   He was coked out. His antics perfectly showed he was coked to the gills, including sniffing.  His alacrity was amazing.

Government and military don't want people like that.  They want plodding, semi-ignorant reptiles who run their ships into other ships, and who announce a warship is headed to N.Korea when it's actually headed south toward the Philippines.

I have never knowingly seen cocaine, let alone experienced its effects, but despite only having second-hand information to go on, I am pretty confident in saying that the majority of people would agree with me that putting WMD in the hands of people who routinely abuse class A narcotics doesn't seem like a sensible move.

4 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I have never knowingly seen cocaine, let alone experienced its effects, but despite only having second-hand information to go on, I am pretty confident in saying that the majority of people would agree with me that putting WMD in the hands of people who routinely abuse class A narcotics doesn't seem like a sensible move.

but even if they were completely off their faces they still couldn't do anything without the right codes from signals.

2 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Even though they were not under the influence when performing their duties?

i can see both sides to be honest , the rules I guess are clear to them when they join so hard to excuse. 

I can see the drugs vs alcohol discussion popping up again as I'm sure drinking is allowed off duty.

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

I'm not in favor of soldiers snorting coke, unless they're about to go into battle.  Coke is rather like speed (which most truckdrivers and housewives indulge in), but with a more heightened consciousness.  Speed just speeds everything up.  Both are uppers.  

Alcohol is a downer, as are barbituates.  Alcohol is considered fine for military men, particularly top brass.  It often makes people clumsy, sloppy and incoherent.  That's why it's the most popular date-rape drug.  It doesn't hurt that there's a trillion dollar industry backing it up.  A businessman's creed states:  If I do away with the competition, there's more mullah for me, whoopee!

Note:  Hemp is classed a 'schedule 1 drug' by US's DEA' ....and most countries (incl Thailand) copy the DEA note for note, because the DEA pays billions of $$'s for them to comply with what the US dictates.  Hemp never got anyone stoned.  It's not possible.  It has nearly zero THC.  The law proves what imbeciles politicians are, because they know not what they're legislating about. 

They should have people like me advising them.  I've done numerous types of drugs, and know first hand their affects.  Politicians only know about drinking booze, that's why they legalize booze and criminalize all other drugs.  ....oh, and it doesn't hurt that they get paid millions of dollars to vote in favor of keeping booze as the ONLY legal recreational drug.   US's AG Sessions is the poster boy for ludicrousness re; drug laws.

Langworth notes that “rum, sodomy and the lash” is similar to “rum, bum and bacca” — a catchphrase from an old saying about the, er, pastimes of British sailors, dating back to the 1800s: 

“Ashore it’s wine, women and song; aboard it’s rum, bum and concertina.” (Bum = a man’s rear end; bacca = tobacco.)

At any rate, it seems that attributing a quotation about rum, sodomy and the lash to Winston Churchill is nothing but an old British naval tradition.

I can't stand concertinas; dreadful cars

3 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

I'm not in favor of soldiers snorting coke, unless they're about to go into battle.  Coke is rather like speed (which most truckdrivers and housewives indulge in), but with a more heightened consciousness.  Speed just speeds everything up.  Both are uppers.  

Alcohol is a downer, as are barbituates.  Alcohol is considered fine for military men, particularly top brass.  It often makes people clumsy, sloppy and incoherent.  That's why it's the most popular date-rape drug.  It doesn't hurt that there's a trillion dollar industry backing it up.  A businessman's creed states:  If I do away with the competition, there's more mullah for me, whoopee!

Note:  Hemp is classed a 'schedule 1 drug' by US's DEA' ....and most countries (incl Thailand) copy the DEA note for note, because the DEA pays billions of $$'s for them to comply with what the US dictates.  Hemp never got anyone stoned.  It's not possible.  It has nearly zero THC.  The law proves what imbeciles politicians are, because they know not what they're legislating about. 

They should have people like me advising them.  I've done numerous types of drugs, and know first hand their affects.  Politicians only know about drinking booze, that's why they legalize booze and criminalize all other drugs.  ....oh, and it doesn't hurt that they get paid millions of dollars to vote in favor of keeping booze as the ONLY legal recreational drug.   US's AG Sessions is the poster boy for ludicrousness re; drug laws.

"Coke is rather like speed (which most truckdrivers and housewives indulge in"

You claim most truck drivers and housewives indulge in "speed". Based on what source of information do you make that claim?

Based on the content of your posts on this thread it seems you should stop indulging!

10 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

"They should have people like me advising them. "

Or not.

12 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

"Coke is rather like speed (which most truckdrivers and housewives indulge in"

You claim most truck drivers and housewives indulge in "speed". Based on what source of information do you make that claim?

Based on the content of your posts on this thread it seems you should stop indulging!

I challenge you to address the messages in my posts, rather than nitpicking on side issues.  It appears you agree with my primary arguments, for example: that politicians have their heads up the butts re; drug laws, .....if all you can do to counter my post is nitpick on a side claim about housewives and truck drivers.  P.S. talk to them, and you'll see I'm right, particularly about truck drivers.

Speaking of drugs, do you know what sort of drug the captain of the Exxon Valdez was taking, when his ship ran aground and created one of the most devastating oil spills ever?  Yup, alcohol.  ....and the skipper of the giant cruise ship which ran aground off the Italian coast, ...he was also drunk.   If you wanna talk about dangerous drugs for seamen, there it is in black and white.

I challenge anyone to cite an incident where cocaine use contributed to a major problem with ships at sea.  Please post the details.

55 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

do you know what sort of drug the captain of the Exxon Valdez was taking, when his ship ran aground and created one of the most devastating oil spills ever?  Yup, alcohol

Not to diminish the effects of alcohol, but not the direct cause of the Exxon accident.

An Alaskan court found him not guilty with operating a vessel while under the influence of alcohol. He was found guilty of negligent discharge of oil - a misdemeanor punishable by a $50,000 fine and  1,000 hours of community service. http://www.evostc.state.ak.us/%3FFA=facts.QA