" Thailand Unforgettable" Campaign To Be Dropped

george

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Amazing" always sounded better than "Unforgettable"... not a bad thing :o

Amazing is also more reflecting the news headlines from the past weeks.

Considering the last month, the bomb issues, the investor money issues, the company formation issues, the visa changes.. when looked at from a foriegn exchange perspective I suggest this dual purpose slogan..

Thailand :: Whats that sucking noise?

I'll get me coat..

Just reading another typical thread by foreigners about Thailand I personally feel the most appropriate slogan for the Kingdom of Thailand would be

"Place of the never ending ranting foreigners"

No need to be ashamed. Keep going. Be proud. You truly earned it. :o

To avoid that things getting stale here a pick list of words:

Too hot, too cold, too chaotic, too greedy, too dirty, too corrupt, too stupid, too ignorant, too cheaty, too brutal, too selfish, too unfair, too everything and eventually the ever fitting "this is Thailand" to put the cherry on the cake.

And appropriate accompanying gestures:

Eye rolling, eye popping, uncontrolled handwaving, red face, stamp your foot, pop a beer bottle agressively, deep sip from the glass and wipe your mouth with the backside of your hand afterwards, constantly raising the volume of the voice...

Wonder whether a square dance or musical could be choreographed from this entitled "The wild and furios in Siam".

Cheers,

Richard

Sorry, the English lingo is not my mother tongue and so I ain't know " constant bashing" is an alternative expression for humour/humor.

Okay, now I got it. Deep in the hearts there is sincere love and admiration for the country and her people but some individuals just love to horseplay around all the time. :D

Humour/humor surely comes in lots of varieties. May be one day I have learnt the lesson and call my beloved mother a bitch and afterwards laugh my backside off. :o

Hm, just thinking about it. Guess, skipping the unforgettable Thailand campaign is quite a smart move in those tricky times to avoid people getting humorous on it. Apologies, I forgot. Not using the brain but being funny is the name of the game. :D

Welcome back Amazing Thailand!

Best news in a long time, and its the one word that really sums up the place.

Few policy hiccouchs along the way but hey, Thailand is still amazing, fun and freindly to live in, whatever happens at government level.

Im all in favour and think its a great move. Give credit where its due.

As for me Thailand can do what ever it wants it none of my business i am just a guest here I only wish Thailand would get a real high speed ISP here so I can enjoy my retirement here Just remember one thing you are all guest here and if you do not like what the Goverment does you have a option you can leave as for the poor thai people they can not leave when was the last time a thai can buy a plane ticket to the USA or the UK and get a 30 day visa when they arrive at the airport in USA or the UK so when it comes to being predijudice look to our own countries they are the ones not Thailand or Malaysia or laos & Cambodia just take a deep breath and look in the mirror my two cents is all used up have a nice day salome

The few Western genuine tourists that I have met (i.e. Westerners actually touring round Thailand) do find it amazing that they can so easily get to see how the local people live and work and have their being.

So many countries shunt all overseas visitors onto a so-called 'tourist trail', which means that tourists don't get insight into the true life of the country, and it is very hard to break free from it.

Actually the vast majority of holiday visitors get tourist visas but don't do any touring. They just stay in one resort town.

But the really amazing thing is that Thailand has (as yet) let Westerners who are poor by western standards come and stay as de-facto residents on a series of back-to-back tourist visas.

I don't know if there are other countries that do that, but certainly the other three that I know well (UK, Nepal, and Singapore) don't.

Speaking for the UK (and EU countries) I would mention that the UK like other EU countries allows each others residents to live and work in their countries at will with NO funding proof required (although I admit initially Spain did try to demand financial proof (be it low) but was forced to drop the demand as they were violating EU rights of movement within the EU for EU citizens.

In Spain, where I lived for 4 years (I am English) any EU member (except the very new EU Eastern European member countries) can apply and get automatic 4 year RESIDENT status (if legal and no criminal record) with minimal documents and no need for proof of finances AND you ARE allowed to work. OK, some may say this is only within the EU, BUT the EU includes a large number of countries in Europe.

What I am saying is, you do not need "back to back Tourist Visas" within the EU countries as you can easily apply and get a 4 years Residency card (if EU citizen and wanting to live in EU). ADDITIONALLY the EU is MUCH kinder to Foreign spouses of EU citizens than Thailand is to Foreign spouses of Thai Nationals.

If you bring a Thai wife to an EU country then she get a 1 year temporary residency card and can apply for a longer one a year later. To get your wife to the EU is not necessarily easy as immigration must FIRST be satisfied it is a bona fide marriage and NOT one of convenience. Having said that, EU rules say that the EU country must find reasonable evidence to doubt the marriage is genuine and not for you to prove its genuine . When your Thai or other foreign spouse is resident in the EU for over a year, based on marriage to an EU citizen she can then usually apply for Residency in her own right (whether she remains married or divorced after that time). All this comes under the EU's Rules on Human Rights within the EU and the rules are supposed to be consistent in within countries within the EU.

I base my knowledge on UK and Spain and forgive me for summarising a complex subject but the gist is correct.

Regards, Dave

Edited by gdhm

well every time i see something going down i simply say to myself amazing Thailand

when i see the Thai's drinking whisky on the beach at 630am I say to myself amazing Thailand

when i see 8 years olds driving motor bikes at speed i say...........................

when i see boats and jet skis running people down I say .............................

So I say stick with the slogan as it truly is amazing

:o

Thailand - Loser Friendly

The most appropriate slogan would be: "Thailand -- We Want Your Money."

A few years ago I brought a very exotic car into this country a GT-40 I broke down all the way from the border to Phuket I didn't have the parts that I needed but I keep trying to make my home here were I have an extensive shop to build cars. Every place I broke down people came and helped me get the car started so I could keep going. NOT ONE OF THESE PEOPLE WOULD TAKE MONEY WHEN IT WAS OFFERED TO THEM. MANY OFFERED ME A BED FOR THE NIGHT, FOOD AND ALL GAVE ME ASSISTANCE FOR FREE. I GOT THE PHONE NUMBERS OF SOME OF THESE PEOPLE OTHERS DIDN'T HAVE ANY, BUT TO THIS DAY I AM STILL FRIENDS WITH THESE PEOPLE. I build cars and travel with them all over the world I have had break downs ever where and you know I have met some of the nicest people

Agreed. Sunday 31st december. 23h59. Our rented bike flat tires on the road to Prachuap Khiri Kan. Nothing to mend it, 5km to go..

..we hardly walked 100m before a pick-up stops.

The thai driver, a manager just off his shift with still a two hours drive in front of him on a day when people are in a hurry to get home, single-handingly secure the bike on his trunk and goes through the trouble to take us back to our way-off-the-road place.

Now I don't know about you but my last experiences of flat tires at night in France saw me walk home, without any knight in shining armour coming to my rescue - helping might have jeopardized his buzy schedule.. or, who knows, I might have been a psychopath pushing a bike :o

So, yes, long live thai kindness :D

Here is a little song I wrote

You might want to sing it note for note

Don't worry be happy

In every life we have some trouble

When you worry you make it double

Don't worry, be happy......

Ain't got no place to lay your head

Somebody came and took your bed

Don't worry, be happy

The landlord say your rent is late

He may have to litigate

Don't worry, be happy

Look at me I am happy

Don't worry, be happy

Here I give you my phone number

When you worry call me

I make you happy

Don't worry, be happy

Ain't got no cash, ain't got no style

Ain't got not girl to make you smile

But don't worry be happy

Cause when you worry

Your face will frown

And that will bring everybody down

So don't worry, be happy (now).....

This is this little song I wrote

I hope you learn it note for note

Like good little children

Don't worry, be happy

Listen to what I say

In your life expect some trouble

But when you worry

You make it double

Don't worry, be happy......

Don't worry don't do it, be happy

Put a smile on your face

Don't bring everybody down like this

Don't worry, it will soon pass

Whatever it is

Don't worry, be happy

Thailand is amazing to those tourists that it wants to attract, who come from more comfortable economic circumstances, but in a lousy climate, in western countries.

But the longer that I reside here, the more I come to see that something that used to amaze me is actually quite a sensible thing to do in the different economy and weather that we have here.

For instance, it makes a lot of sense to let village kids ride little motorbikes from as young an age as they can. (That is what the police here allow----provided they only go from their village to neighbouring ones. They are not allowed to go up or down the Highway to any town or city. So they ride to the highway and then park up and carry on to their schools in town or city by bus.)

The few Western genuine tourists that I have met (i.e. Westerners actually touring round Thailand) do find it amazing that they can so easily get to see how the local people live and work and have their being.

So many countries shunt all overseas visitors onto a so-called 'tourist trail', which means that tourists don't get insight into the true life of the country, and it is very hard to break free from it.

Actually the vast majority of holiday visitors get tourist visas but don't do any touring. They just stay in one resort town.

But the really amazing thing is that Thailand has (as yet) let Westerners who are poor by western standards come and stay as de-facto residents on a series of back-to-back tourist visas.

I don't know if there are other countries that do that, but certainly the other three that I know well (UK, Nepal, and Singapore) don't.

The tourist visa in the uk is for 6 months... so no need to do back to back visa runs...

and dont forget by western standards, Thailand is a poor country, so most westerners who come here to Thailand are seen as rich

Amazing Thailand...I am curious to know if any other expats have noticed how rude and discourteous

the Thai people are to foreigners at some of the Thai Consulates and Thai Embassies outside of Thailand.

After visiting the Thai Consulate in the Philippines, I was "AMAZED" how amazingly rude and dis-

discourteous the Thai people are there.

However, I should mention in the U.S.A. the Thai people working behind the counters at the Thai

consulates there are very courteous and never rude. Of course, most people from the west

wouldn't put up with it. So much so for Amazing Thailand.

In any representative cross-section of a nation, I believe you will find some who are just naturally rude and discourteous, but it is unlikely that they will be selected for the Diplomatic service.

At the other end of the spectrum, there are some who will be polite and courteous through thick and thin, but they are insufficient in number that they could fill all the positions in the Diplomatic Service and the other employment positions open to them.

So the 'middle-majority' will fill some of the positions. And the 'middle-majority' all have the tendency to lose their politeness and courtesy under stress.

From what 'navajo' says, it would be my guess that either the USA is a less-stressful posting than the Phillipines, or that the Thai Diplomatic Service somehow sifts out (advertently or inadvertently) its most polite and courteous people for certain postings such as the USA.

Thailand - Loser Friendly

The most appropriate slogan would be: "Thailand -- We Want Your Money."

A few years ago I brought a very exotic car into this country a GT-40 I broke down all the way from the border to Phuket I didn't have the parts that I needed but I keep trying to make my home here were I have an extensive shop to build cars. Every place I broke down people came and helped me get the car started so I could keep going. NOT ONE OF THESE PEOPLE WOULD TAKE MONEY WHEN IT WAS OFFERED TO THEM. MANY OFFERED ME A BED FOR THE NIGHT, FOOD AND ALL GAVE ME ASSISTANCE FOR FREE. I GOT THE PHONE NUMBERS OF SOME OF THESE PEOPLE OTHERS DIDN'T HAVE ANY, BUT TO THIS DAY I AM STILL FRIENDS WITH THESE PEOPLE. I build cars and travel with them all over the world I have had break downs ever where and you know I have met some of the nicest people

Agreed. Sunday 31st december. 23h59. Our rented bike flat tires on the road to Prachuap Khiri Kan. Nothing to mend it, 5km to go..

..we hardly walked 100m before a pick-up stops.

The thai driver, a manager just off his shift with still a two hours drive in front of him on a day when people are in a hurry to get home, single-handingly secure the bike on his trunk and goes through the trouble to take us back to our way-off-the-road place.

Now I don't know about you but my last experiences of flat tires at night in France saw me walk home, without any knight in shining armour coming to my rescue - helping might have jeopardized his buzy schedule.. or, who knows, I might have been a psychopath pushing a bike :o

So, yes, long live thai kindness :D

finally, a breath of fresh air.

Edited by sensei

He said the new campaign, initially intended to run for at least three years, was being withdrawn because it had received a poorer reception from the private sector. The decision is also in line with the sufficiency economics the government is using to save funds.

What does "sufficiency economics" mean?

Does it mean the cheapest possible way of doing something?

You are kidding....Go to UK as visitor...overstay and then claim sanctuary on political grounds.....live in FREE accomodation and claim numerous cash handouts to eat and live. UK is actually the FREE capital of the world now.

He said the new campaign, initially intended to run for at least three years, was being withdrawn because it had received a poorer reception from the private sector. The decision is also in line with the sufficiency economics the government is using to save funds.

What does "sufficiency economics" mean?

Does it mean the cheapest possible way of doing something?

"Having said that, EU rules say that the EU country must find reasonable evidence to doubt the marriage is genuine and not for you to prove its genuine "

total rubbish! In UK onus is on you to prove its a bona fide marriage. Even then your wife will be accused of being a whore who married for a passport. British imi are just a binch of nazis in my experience

Speaking for the UK (and EU countries) I would mention that the UK like other EU countries allows each others residents to live and work in their countries at will with NO funding proof required (although I admit initially Spain did try to demand financial proof (be it low) but was forced to drop the demand as they were violating EU rights of movement within the EU for EU citizens.

In Spain, where I lived for 4 years (I am English) any EU member (except the very new EU Eastern European member countries) can apply and get automatic 4 year RESIDENT status (if legal and no criminal record) with minimal documents and no need for proof of finances AND you ARE allowed to work. OK, some may say this is only within the EU, BUT the EU includes a large number of countries in Europe.

What I am saying is, you do not need "back to back Tourist Visas" within the EU countries as you can easily apply and get a 4 years Residency card (if EU citizen and wanting to live in EU). ADDITIONALLY the EU is MUCH kinder to Foreign spouses of EU citizens than Thailand is to Foreign spouses of Thai Nationals.

If you bring a Thai wife to an EU country then she get a 1 year temporary residency card and can apply for a longer one a year later. To get your wife to the EU is not necessarily easy as immigration must FIRST be satisfied it is a bona fide marriage and NOT one of convenience. Having said that, EU rules say that the EU country must find reasonable evidence to doubt the marriage is genuine and not for you to prove its genuine . When your Thai or other foreign spouse is resident in the EU for over a year, based on marriage to an EU citizen she can then usually apply for Residency in her own right (whether she remains married or divorced after that time). All this comes under the EU's Rules on Human Rights within the EU and the rules are supposed to be consistent in within countries within the EU.

I base my knowledge on UK and Spain and forgive me for summarising a complex subject but the gist is correct.

Regards, Dave