" Thailand Unforgettable" Campaign To Be Dropped

george

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Thailand Unforgettable" campaign to be dropped

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) will drop its recently launched "Thailand Unforgettable" publicity campaign and resume the previous "Amazing Thailand" campaign, the agency's governor, Phornsiri Mahoharn, said Thursday.

He said the new campaign, initially intended to run for at least three years, was being withdrawn because it had received a poorer reception from the private sector. The decision is also in line with the sufficiency economics the government is using to save funds.

Phornsiri said TAT would relaunch the "Amazing Thailand" campaign at the annual Asia Travel Forum at the end of the month in Singapore.

-- The Nation 2007-01-11

.............really easy, just bring back the 'old' idea that somebody else thought of, worked and reap the rewards !! hard worker eh ?? l remember me on Channel 5 TV for the campaign some years ago. promoting in Thai to the local market !!!!! I wonder if they will ask me back to do another program for them????

one day we will wake up and will be pleasantly surprised with positive changes here,as benefit for all of us together...TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE...

Now there's a slogan ....... "Thailand - too true to be good"

:o

What one can see of Thailand, that is intrinsically Thai, is at least exotic, and thus amazing if exotic amazes. The plethora of 7Elevens, McDonalds, Burger Kings, and for-farang establishments and resorts (when there start to be more signs in English than in Thai that's a red flag) amaze less than irritate.

Kao San may amaze, but, at least according to Thais, it isn't Thailand.

Yes, as some posters said, for many it may be amazing that they can see action for the price of a pizza and a couple cans of beer at home. For others this may be amazingly pathetic instance of social inequality.

In short, I love Thailand. But I love most the parts that are touched least by the West, and the West is doing a lot of touching.

Thailand - Loser Friendly

The most appropriate slogan would be: "Thailand -- We Want Your Money."

A few years ago I brought a very exotic car into this country a GT-40 I broke down all the way from the border to Phuket I didn't have the parts that I needed but I keep trying to make my home here were I have an extensive shop to build cars. Every place I broke down people came and helped me get the car started so I could keep going. NOT ONE OF THESE PEOPLE WOULD TAKE MONEY WHEN IT WAS OFFERED TO THEM. MANY OFFERED ME A BED FOR THE NIGHT, FOOD AND ALL GAVE ME ASSISTANCE FOR FREE. I GOT THE PHONE NUMBERS OF SOME OF THESE PEOPLE OTHERS DIDN'T HAVE ANY, BUT TO THIS DAY I AM STILL FRIENDS WITH THESE PEOPLE. I build cars and travel with them all over the world I have had break downs ever where and you know I have met some of the nicest people

How's about a completely new slogan? I suggest 'Thailand, even you can get laid.' :o

You can get laid everywhere in the world if you have the money to pay - believe me! Harder to find love for sure!

I love the first quote, tho I must admit that yes, you can get laid anywhere in the world if you have the money to pay. Heck, in Amsterdam, you can get a 20-minute short time for the price of a couple of long times in Thailand. In Vegas tho, you may spend all your money just buying an overpriced bottle of champagne, before getting stood up. So maybe the slogan can be: "Thailand, even a poor guy can get laid." Will the TAT ever realize that the only dependable repeat visitors are those who come here to get laid?

Good decision! I see we have a lot of comedian 'would-be advertising copy writers' in this thread :o .

Amazing is more positive. My trip to Italy a few years ago was unforgettable. I had my wallet stolen. I arrived in Florence during Easter (huge crowds). The Pope died when I was in Rome (huge crowds).

There were some amazing aspects, though. The huge crowds :D .

"Thailand Unforgettable" campaign to be dropped

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) will drop its recently launched "Thailand Unforgettable" publicity campaign and resume the previous "Amazing Thailand" campaign, the agency's governor, Phornsiri Mahoharn, said Thursday.

He said the new campaign, initially intended to run for at least three years, was being withdrawn because it had received a poorer reception from the private sector. The decision is also in line with the sufficiency economics the government is using to save funds.

Phornsiri said TAT would relaunch the "Amazing Thailand" campaign at the annual Asia Travel Forum at the end of the month in Singapore.

-- The Nation 2007-01-11

Amazing Times of Change For All!

Thailand is amazing, no doubt. And it probably is a better slogan.

It's also unforgettable. When you came here the first time, and then went home, I'll bet that it's all you thought about! I know that I did, and I stayed 3 years the first time. We love it here, that's why we're here. "They" know that we want to be here, and will push us to the very brink of leaving. They don't care if a lot of the people living here leave, they want tourists, not residents. It's their country.

It used to be that if a thai lady married a farang, she was not allowed to own land. But that changed. I hope that they don't go that route again.

It used to be that anyone who spoke english could teach english, but that changed. I think that maybe the new regulations will be better for the thais, or at least improve the quality of the individuals that teach.

It used to be that you could not own a condo, but that changed to our advantage. I would not be surprised to see that change, or at least restrict us to one condo of a particular dollar amount. I think that that's what the law intended, although we've slid by on that.

It used to be that it was easy to stay for extended periods of time with no hassles. That is changing, and I expect it to get worse.

It used to be that it was very easy to do business, and that also is changing. And, I expect it to continue to change to their advantage.

But even with all that, I like it here, but I will not invest large sums of money, and will be prepared to go elsewhere. I don't teach, but have heard that Vietnam pays 2-3 times the wage that is earned here. I can imagine that if other jobs pay along the same lines, that may be the place to go. I'll stay here for now, and let the dust settle, and see what they change next.

Well 2006 will be unforgettable, but based on what happened, it might be best to forget it and not remind people about it.

===========================================

Until the government of Thailand can rectify the errors of their ways with specific regards to the Foreign Biz. Law, the ludricous Visa-Laws and the absurd Farang-House/Land-Ownership issues, more and more Frarang would prefer to think of Thailand as "FORGETTABLE THAILAND" and take their hard-earned cash elsewhere.

:o

JK/Pattaya

you took the words right out of my mouth, well said and agree

In post #44, it was said:

"We love it here, that's why we're here. "They" know that we want to be here, and will push us to the very brink of leaving. They don't care if a lot of the people living here leave, they want tourists, not residents. It's their country."

But that all depends on how "love" and "they" and "we" are defined!

From my reading of thaivisa.com over the years, there appear to be three categories of farangs. First, there are those who love it a lot and only find a few things to hate and can pretty much avoid those.

Second there are those who have a fairly well-balanced love/hate relationship with the place.

And thirdly, there are those for whom what they have found here to hate well outweighs what they found to love, and they will be soon gone.

Similarly, "they" (i.e. Thais) could be broken down into different groups with different viewpoints. Some powerful and some not. But even among the powerful, some would be quite in favour of having a (reasonable) number of (acceptably-behaving) farangs as residents.

"Amazing" is a far-better slogan for attracting those farangs whose visit (or residency) would do more good than harm to Thailand.

"Unforgettable" was a lousy slogan, because it immediately raised the question: "Unforgettably good, or unforgettably bad?".

(Though many of us will have, from time to time, been heard to mutter "Amazing Thailand" with a sarcastic tone of voice for 'Amazing'.)

Quite seriously, with all the cr#p and confusion that has been going on for the last several weeks, the campaign could be something along the lines of"

'Amazingly unforgettable'.

I'm glad I've reduced my alcohol consumption recently as all this mess is enough to spin anyone out.

Cheers N Beers.

Big Paulee.

Does anyone know who was responsible for this campaign? Was it a local agency or the TAT?

You can thank this responsible rocket scientist:

siriwan.jpg

The last government's TAT Governor Siriwan

TAT'S 2007 CAMPAIGN

Kingdom to be dubbed 'unforgettable'

Published on Aug 22, 2006

The Tourism Authority of Thailand has announced its international tourism campaign for 2007 - "Thailand - Unforgettable" - and its domestic campaign for the year, "Travel is a Part of Life".

The authority will focus on new destinations, sports activities, trendy destinations and special events in promoting the Kingdom to foreign tourists.

TAT governor Juthamas Siriwan said the Thailand - Unforgettable campaign would replace this year's "Thailand Grand Invitation".

The Nation

btw, her renumeration package for such highly astute and extremely analytical thinking?

a cool 1/2 million baht per month

Published on Dec 29, 2006

...former governor Juthamas Siriwan, who had a monthly salary of Bt340,000 and benefits of Bt150,000 to Bt200,000.

The Nation

Edited by sriracha john

How's about a completely new slogan? I suggest 'Thailand, even you can get laid.' :o

You can get laid everywhere in the world if you have the money to pay - believe me! Harder to find love for sure!

I love the first quote, tho I must admit that yes, you can get laid anywhere in the world if you have the money to pay. Heck, in Amsterdam, you can get a 20-minute short time for the price of a couple of long times in Thailand. In Vegas tho, you may spend all your money just buying an overpriced bottle of champagne, before getting stood up. So maybe the slogan can be: "Thailand, even a poor guy can get laid." Will the TAT ever realize that the only dependable repeat visitors are those who come here to get laid?

I remember that, around a couple of years ago, there was a thread in which someone pointed out that getting laid in Thailand being cheap could not be what brought the sex tourists here. He added up the air fare from Europe, room and eating costs, bar fines and the payments by the client to the sex workers and showed that the cost per lay for the holiday period came to more than it would have done in Europe.

So he concluded that there was something in the quality of the services provided by the sex workers here that was greater than what they would have got for the same expenditure in Europe.

So maybe the slogan should be:

"Better bangs for your bucks!"

Wrong mate. We have millions of immigrants from East europe, Africa, etd.coming to UK and living there with no personal wealth all relaying on Social Services.

Another racist and prejudiced myth. Migrants contribute more to the UK economy than the UK citizens. There was a feature about this on both C4 and BBC2 some time ago and it is well documented. But I guess this kind of rubish myths have a long way to go...

[sandy]