Power Points

4MyEgo

Hi Guys

Just wondering if there is anywhere in Thailand that I can buy power points with on/off switches, I know its a big ask as I haven't seen any anywhere, picture below of what I would like to get my hands on having had a taste (twice) of what it is like to have 220 volts running up your arm, my fault, feeling around for the hole in the dark, lazy to walk a few metres to turn on the light switch so I can see what I am doing.

Still would be great to have the on/off switches, even though I am grateful that the safety switch kicked in and shut the power down.

Image result for picture of an Australian Power point

Edited by 4MyEgo

12 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

The "Home" places have them off and on.  On two occasions, I have taken the last one in stock.  Maybe they are difficult to source?

It's not easy to zap yourself though.  How did you manage to do that?

I was putting in the electrical plug for the fan and as it was dark and I was feeling around the power point for the hole, with my fingers being at the tip of the fans socket that goes into the power point, then ouch !!!!

When you say home places, do you mean the normal big hardware chains like HomePro, DoHome, etc etc, cause I am going to need about 30 off them, as I have never liked these ones with no on/off switches, meaning they are live and ready, and with kids its an accident waiting to happen.

Can't understand why they are not mandatory in Thailand, i.e. on/off switches.

Edited by 4MyEgo

1 minute ago, wayned said:

I've seen them in the electrical section of Tesco, but not with Aussie sockets.

Thanks, but not wanting Aussie sockets, I think you think that I want the adaptor, but I am wanting on/off switches on Thai power points

39 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I think you think that I want the adapter, but I am wanting on/off switches on Thai power points

I know exactly what you are looking for as I bought this one through Lazada as I wanted USB power points also: http://www.lazada.co.th/universal-21a-wall-socket-dual-usb-power-switchelectric-outlet-usb-charger-19080369.html?spm=a2o4m.search.0.0.7cafe7b0VLr5d7&ff=1

Unfortunately it was not a direct replacement for the existing sockets and I had to manufacture a larger enclosure.  As I previously said I have seen them in Tesco in Chainat without the USB power points.  They were packaged and hanging with the other electrical supplies manufactured by SKF.  They were wall units, not adapters.

27 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

I have purchased at Home Pro, Home Hub, and Do Home in Udon Thani.  Finding 30 at any one place might be difficult - suggest you contact staff about ordering in that case.  They are pricey if you didn't know (over 300 baht to wit).

Thanks bankruatsteve

Udon Thani is only an hours drive from me, and I do go to Sakon Nakon and Khon Kaen so I will check out the DoHome stores and others, but not before I get the Mrs to call around to see who has what in stock and if they haven't then we will order.

As for the price, its affordable, thanks

5 minutes ago, wayned said:

I know exactly what you are looking for as I bought this one through Lazada as I wanted USB power points also: http://www.lazada.co.th/universal-21a-wall-socket-dual-usb-power-switchelectric-outlet-usb-charger-19080369.html?spm=a2o4m.search.0.0.7cafe7b0VLr5d7&ff=1

Unfortunately it was not a direct replacement for the existing sockets and I had to manufacture a larger enclosure.  As I previously said I have seen them in Tesco in Chainat without the USB power points.  They were packaged and hanging with the other electrical supplies manufactured by SKF.  They were wall units, not adapters.

Thanks for clearing that up, I will have a look at the website, but prefer to buy locally from the bigger stores like DoHome or HomePro as if I ever have a problem they will provide me with a time frame to return them, good customer to both with records of purchasers over the years.

5 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

Hey!  What happened to "edit".  Also wanted to say good luck with a phone call.  I would enjoy hearing how that turns out.

Oh - now I see it.  Oh well.

Will let you know how it turns out

7 hours ago, Crossy said:

Homepro do Clipsal ones https://www.homepro.co.th/product/136198 and you can order online if you wish.

136198.jpg

Love the huge slots. Small chance that even Somchai could get it on the wall straight. Wonder what it will look like with the usual cheap nasty rusty countersunk head screws they insist on here ?

I've got MK sockets and switches at my current place. Had similar style of Clipsal from S'pore in the last house it had small plastic screw covers for a neat look.

Much higher quality too. Over ten years use, no yellowing or cracked plastic covers.

Just now, Crossy said:

One assumes (TiT) that these have plastic covers included to cover the screws.

:thumbsup: One also assumes that this being Thailand Somchai will lose most of them before the job is completed. :whistling:

Hmmmm.....interesting, as I've also been after sockets with switches. I've taken a look at the provided links (thanks, too, for those!) but I'm left feeling that there could be some problems fitting them to my existing outlets/sockets, as my rather boring Thai click-on standard cover plates all appear to be 12 x 6.5 cm, which is a somewhat different size than those stated in the links. I'd be afraid that these new covers would either be too small - or even too big - and perhaps look ridiculous. 

However, I'm still hoping that one of you guys finds a cover plate with on/off switches, that fits the ordinary everyday sockets that are so common here.

Good luck with the search!  :stoner: