Aussie woman’s birthday trip to Thailand a ‘holiday from hell’ after horror scooter crash

webfact

Just briefly, firstly, we should all not forget that just having a Motor cycle License, does not actuary mean that you are a competent, in a VERY dangerous and Anarchistic Road Environment, like Phuket ? ... or even Pattaya or Ko Samui ?

...  Like I have a License to drive a 10 Ton Truck in Australia, like when I worked in the mines, years ago, I borrowed the Boiler makers tray top, and just managed to get it up in to 3rd Gear,  …. Did 4 left hand turns around the block, and then stopped it again, back outside the Admin Block, .... And got my Heavy Viechels Drivers License !!!  ….  But well, Hell !!! If I ever did get behind the wheel of a Real one, on a Real Road anywhere !!! ...  Jeeeezzzes would I probably do some Damage !!! ...  To the other people on the road and it’s fixtures !!!  …. 

And well to drive a Motor bike in Phuket, I think you should be a GOOD Rider, not just have a license, like this should be Impressed on the arriving tourists,  ….  and Pictures of those that do not make it, and end up smashed up on the road, … should be shown to them, and their loved ones !!! ....

…  Also as far as I can see Scooters !!! …. Like F'n Scooters !!! … Are about the most dangerous things with 2 wheels that I know of ???   Like just Total Shit handling Machines!!! ….  Bad Weight Balance ? .. The rider is less being part of the bike, …  like just sitting loosely on top, and NOT having it between your legs, Like a normal bike, …. Small wheels that skid a Lot more readily, and more chance of just failing totaly, if you try to turn them to sharply !!!  ….  Like well, just totally Shit handling machines !!!  …  If you ask me,  ….  and I have hired them also !!!   …. And they are Heavy on gas also I think ???

Like Putting Tourists on Scooters, and sending them out in to Any Thai Trafic, …. and not real motor bikes is like throwing them to the Woolves !!!   and is Just accentuating the Problem in my Opinion.   …..

So,  "Can't change gears on a Normal Motor bike" ?  …. Well certainly do not get on anything with, with 2 wheels, to drive yourself, and defiantly not in Pattaya or Phuket or any Busy area of Thailand any way !!! ???

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the information in the 'Full story" it said she was hit by a bus. It doesn't mention any investigation as to who was at fault etc. But if the bus hit her wouldn't the owners of the bus have insurance, if they were at fault?

Edited by mikeymike100

From the information in the 'Full story" it said she was hit by a bus. It doesn't mention any investigation as to who was at fault etc. But if the bus hit her wouldn't the owners of the bus have insurance, if they were at fault?
Even if 1st class it can be as little as 50,000 for medical cover

9 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

To be honest I'm going for no experience, especially in Thai traffic, probably weaving a bit, those little scooter wheels react so fast to small bar movements. The bus driver peeped the horn she panicked, grabbed the brake and if your not experienced 99% of people pull on the bar at the same time and a nano second later you're face down on the road. Maybe the bus driver swerved and went the wrong way. Missed the scooter and sadly hit the lady.

Years ago a friend rented a small bike in Patts and gave up after a couple of hours and pushed it all the way back to the rental place. When he turned left he opened the throttle and fell off and when he turned right he shut the thottle stalled it and fell off.

16 hours ago, baansgr said:

Your effectively saying you want to ban tourists over 60 or anyone with an existing medical condition. Have you any idea how much travel insurance can cost for the elderly, £3,000 or more. 

I'm well over 60 and I can afford insurance.  Cost me substantially less than that for a years insurance. If one can't afford it, then one shouldn't be travelling as certainly won't be able to afford hospital treatment in Thailand.

I'm not banning anyone, but why should the family have to scape together the money to get someone home that should have had insurance? It's not fair on everyone else in the family.

Anyway, life isn't fair.

16 hours ago, Mark mark said:

Just briefly, firstly, we should all not forget that just having a Motor cycle License, does not actuary mean that you are a competent, in a VERY dangerous and Anarchistic Road Environment, like Phuket ? ... or even Pattaya or Ko Samui ?

...  Like I have a License to drive a 10 Ton Truck in Australia, like when I worked in the mines, years ago, I borrowed the Boiler makers tray top, and just managed to get it up in to 3rd Gear,  …. Did 4 left hand turns around the block, and then stopped it again, back outside the Admin Block, .... And got my Heavy Viechels Drivers License !!!  ….  But well, Hell !!! If I ever did get behind the wheel of a Real one, on a Real Road anywhere !!! ...  Jeeeezzzes would I probably do some Damage !!! ...  To the other people on the road and it’s fixtures !!!  …. 

And well to drive a Motor bike in Phuket, I think you should be a GOOD Rider, not just have a license, like this should be Impressed on the arriving tourists,  ….  and Pictures of those that do not make it, and end up smashed up on the road, … should be shown to them, and their loved ones !!! ....

…  Also as far as I can see Scooters !!! …. Like F'n Scooters !!! … Are about the most dangerous things with 2 wheels that I know of ???   Like just Total Shit handling Machines!!! ….  Bad Weight Balance ? .. The rider is less being part of the bike, …  like just sitting loosely on top, and NOT having it between your legs, Like a normal bike, …. Small wheels that skid a Lot more readily, and more chance of just failing totaly, if you try to turn them to sharply !!!  ….  Like well, just totally Shit handling machines !!!  …  If you ask me,  ….  and I have hired them also !!!   …. And they are Heavy on gas also I think ???

Like Putting Tourists on Scooters, and sending them out in to Any Thai Trafic, …. and not real motor bikes is like throwing them to the Woolves !!!   and is Just accentuating the Problem in my Opinion.   …..

So,  "Can't change gears on a Normal Motor bike" ?  …. Well certainly do not get on anything with, with 2 wheels, to drive yourself, and defiantly not in Pattaya or Phuket or any Busy area of Thailand any way !!! ???

As one that drove a Honda Click regularly for years on Thai roads, I don't understand how you can be so OTT about scooters. I loved how simple it was to drive. Only had to be careful on corners because of the sand on the road.

Best way to get around in Chiang Mai traffic jams too.

Also rode pillion, and carrying large loads of sand and cement- no problem.

Not talking about the dangers of other vehicles, just about it being easy to drive a scooter.

Of course, I had ridden m'bikes for years before. Wouldn't expect any tourist never ridden to be safe- stupid to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

The latest   :

The Australian woman who could lose her leg after a horrible scooter accident in Thailand fears being held hostage over her hospital bill.

Stacey Liddle, 30, from Brisbane, has just discovered there is a bed waiting for her at Sydney’s Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, where she is expected to arrive on Monday. 

She had been facing a bureaucratic nightmare when she was told there was no bed for her at the Sydney hospital. 

“Now, they are saying they are going to hold us hostage until we have paid the bill which we don’t even know how much that it,” the university student told 9NEWS from her hospital bed today.

“We’ve already given them $10,000AUD. We’ve asked for a payment plan because we are getting to the end of our pockets.

“I just want a second opinion before making a decision. I would prefer to do that in Brisbane but the only way I can come home is by going to Sydney and I could be there on my own.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Did she think the hospital was free ??   of coarse they want to be paid .......

and i'm sure you would really like to be in Brisbane before you work out a plan to pay .....   in english that's called doing a   ' runner ' .

Where is the common sense in farang thinking ??

she has an accident .... the hospital help her as much as possible .....  she complains she doesn't like the hospital .... she doesn't sound like she has enough for the bill .....  she wants to be in Brisbane then work out the bill  >>>

She had the accident .... not the hospital,  she's to blame not the hospital, 

ungratefull farang ....

9 minutes ago, steven100 said:

The latest   :

The Australian woman who could lose her leg after a horrible scooter accident in Thailand fears being held hostage over her hospital bill.

Stacey Liddle, 30, from Brisbane, has just discovered there is a bed waiting for her at Sydney’s Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, where she is expected to arrive on Monday. 

She had been facing a bureaucratic nightmare when she was told there was no bed for her at the Sydney hospital. 

“Now, they are saying they are going to hold us hostage until we have paid the bill which we don’t even know how much that it,” the university student told 9NEWS from her hospital bed today.

“We’ve already given them $10,000AUD. We’ve asked for a payment plan because we are getting to the end of our pockets.

“I just want a second opinion before making a decision. I would prefer to do that in Brisbane but the only way I can come home is by going to Sydney and I could be there on my own.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Did she think the hospital was free ??   of coarse they want to be paid .......

and i'm sure you would really like to be in Brisbane before you work out a plan to pay .....   in english that's called doing a   ' runner ' .

Where is the common sense in farang thinking ??

she has an accident .... the hospital help her as much as possible .....  she complains she doesn't like the hospital .... she doesn't sound like she has enough for the bill .....  she wants to be in Brisbane then work out the bill  >>>

She had the accident .... not the hospital,  she's to blame not the hospital, 

ungratefull farang ....

Hospital should have refused medical assistance and kicked her to the curb once it was known she had no means to cover the bills.