Buying to Export - legal in and outs

Hi guys,

I'm an Australian with obviously a Thai partner.

Work back in Australia is quite flexible so I fly in and out without worrying about 30 day tourist expiration etc.

I am looking at purchasing to resell goods and was wondering how to keep things simple till the business maybe gets big enough (if that happens) to then put additional Company structures etc in place.

At this stage I am considering just opening an Australian Company and purchasing / reselling through that, paying tax in Australia etc etc.

For anonymity purposes I may ask my Partner to open a Business name locally to buy directly from the Wholesaler / manufacturer and then resell onto myself.

Only thing which may complicate this on paper is I might choose to ship the goods directly out of Thailand to the buyers?

Additionally, do I need a Work permit of some sort or would an APEC Travel card cover me legally upon entry to conduct business OR if my Partner is an intermediary Business, should I just let her technically deal with what needs to be done locally to keep it simple?

Is there anything else I should consider ?

For buying things in Thailand and ship it to Australia, you will not need a work permit.
If you have a company registered in Thailand and are shipping the goods directly to customers or to yourself in Australia, you will need a work permit.
Also if you are active working in the thai company, you will nedd to employ 4 Thais for you to be able to work according to law.
A workaround is that you let your Thai wife do the work in Thailand, at least on the papers. Then that way will work out fine too.

Edited by Get Real

11 hours ago, neeray said:

I have exported by container load to Canada from Thailand. I think you are making this more complicated than necessary. PM me if you like. 

Exactly ! So easy to do it under the radar even if it was a big business, which is not and might never be !

7 hours ago, EcigAmateur said:

Exactly ! So easy to do it under the radar even if it was a big business, which is not and might never be !

Thanks for laughing! I was only thinking that the OP wanted an explaination that falls inside the mysterious laws in this country. :smile:

Thanks for the replies. I don't like over complicating things either.....

If my Thai wife was to be the middle-man/woman etc, what business structures are available to her and any things to consider?

I understand the difference between Sole trader, Partnerships, Companies (Australia wise) but unsure what other structures exist and reporting requirements? (I will do a bit of Googling later)

Is it possible for her to not need a registered business below a certain turnover per year ? 

Edited by abently