The gruesome story of a Brit who boxed his way out of a hellhole Thai prison – and is now having a film made about his life

webfact

BOX OFFICE 

The gruesome story of a Brit who boxed his way out of a hellhole Thai prison – and is now having a film made about his life

Brit Billy Moore found himself the wrong side of the bars in Bangkok - faced with a literal fight to survive the horrors of the hellhole prison

By George Harrison

JS76613560.jpg

File photo /source Internet

THAILAND'S Klong Prem Prison is about as far from luxury as you can get.

Violent, overcrowded and filthy, the Bangkok slammer is where Brits banged up for drug offences can expect to while away the days.

It was here where Brit Billy Moore found himself the wrong side of the bars - faced with a literal fight to survive the horrors of the hellhole prison.

The boxing enthusiast, who has spent a total of 15 years banged up in 22 different prisons, only managed to get through it by mastering the combat sport of Muay Thai.

Billy battled through his sentence before writing a book, A Prayer Before Dawn, about his harrowing experiences.

Full story: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4818820/thai-prison-boxer/

-- THE SUN 2017-11-02

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The road to fame don´t care about fashion, but its certainly have many clothes.
The road to fame sees no guilt, because its blinded by the morons.

After 15 years and 22 prisons, I´ll gues we know what this man calls home.
The road to home ain´t long, especially if the film won´t sell.

if u cant do the time, dont do the crime.

he ONLY did 3 years in a thai jail  "......survived his three year stint before being transferred back home to the UK to serve eight final months behind bars. "

thais go to jail and never write books and make $$ off of doing wrong.

no sympathy from me

I have read the book and it was ok but a bit disjointed and not particularly well written. I am aware of many stories of people in prisons wrongfully, that would make a far more interesting book or movie. Problem is, many of them are so crazy most people wouldn't believe them. Those people are where my sympathy lies though.

If only had he turned his survival skills and entrepreneurship in to doing

good things that benefits others rater than himself, his story would

be an inspirational to some, alas, he has chosen to be a criminal...

WHAT'S WITH ALL THE NASTINESS?

I knew Billy and he had—like so many people do—problems with alcohol and drug addiction. That's not his fault and it can happen to the best of us. He's can't help having an addictive personality. It's no more avoidable than someone who acquires depression or a physical illness. Sh*t happens!

HE CHANGED - MANY DON'T

What addicts and alcoholics are responsible for, though, is their recovery. Alas, most don't get it overnight, in fact, most don't get it at all (George Best was a prime example). But in Billy's case, he took charge of his problem—eventually. He worked on solutions and I assume continues to work on living a clean and sober life. In other words, he brought himself back from the brink and changed his ways. Anyone who's been where he was will know that's no easy feat. But he did it despite the odds.

GIVE THE BLOKE A BREAK FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

Why not give the bloke a break and wish him well instead of condemning him to hell for taking a wrong turn in life. He's not the first and he won't be the last. For all you know—whoever you are—this could be you. Or your son or daughter, brother, sister, a parent, or someone else you care deeply about.

Stubby

58 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:
1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

who did he kill?

He handled a stolen phone, he's right up there with the Krays!

Yup.  Bonk a tourist over the head because he gave you a funny look and be back out to do it again in a day or two- albeit perhaps 500 baht poorer.

Handle a stolen mobile and spend 3 years in hell. 

He's got my sympathy, even if he was guilty.  If only for the randomness of it and the fact that any one of us could get caught up in some ridiculous legal problem.

4 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

"That's not his fault....." Really?

Alcohol and drug addiction is not anyone's fault. It can creep up on your unawares and it can happen to the best of us. Few wake up one morning and say: "Ooo, I'm an addict, I'd better do something about that". It doesn't work like.

58 minutes ago, Stubby said:

WHAT'S WITH ALL THE NASTINESS?

I knew Billy and he had—like so many people do—problems with alcohol and drug addiction. That's not his fault and it can happen to the best of us. He's can't help having an addictive personality.

Stubby

Sorry stubby but it WAS his fault and handling stolen goods had nothing to do with an 'addictive personality' which I don't believe in anyway. People these days always want to blame somebody or something else and never take personal responsibility for their weakness, addictions and criminality, he was a low life scumbag, hence the 15 years in prisons.

Edited by Orton Rd

48 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Alcohol and drug addiction is not anyone's fault. It can creep up on your unawares and it can happen to the best of us. Few wake up one morning and say: "Ooo, I'm an addict, I'd better do something about that". It doesn't work like.

No!.... old age creeps up on you, maybe cancer creeps up on you... but drug and alcohol abuse are self inflicted and can be avoided.

Stop trying to blame others.

25 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Sorry stubby but it WAS his fault and handling stolen goods had nothing to do with an 'addictive personality' which I don't believe in anyway. People these days always want to blame somebody or something else and never take personal responsibility for their weakness, addictions and criminality, he was a low life scumbag, hence the 15 years in prisons.

He handled a stolen phone...  this is the only information I have without reading the book or watching the movie.

Orton Rd: Do you know something more, is his crime worse than handling a stolen phone ?

Did he steal the phone himself? IF so, is that still worthy of a 15 years in prison? 

Edited by richard_smith237

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

He handled a stolen phone...  this is the only information I have without reading the book or watching the movie.

Orton Rd: Do you know something more, is his crime worse than handling a stolen phone ?

Did he steal the phone himself? IF so, is that still worthy of a 15 years in prison? 

He's only served a three year sentence. It's ridiculous that the headlines make it look like he'd done 15 years in a Thai prison. 

3 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

22 prisons in 15 years? sounds like he should still be in one. Seems he is an ex tefler in Thailand, what a surprise!

Here's his Christmas speech, hardly an understandable English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdQTPta-gMc&feature=youtu.be

Edited by jenny2017

8 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Here's his Christmas speech, hardly an understandable English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdQTPta-gMc&feature=youtu.be

I think that's a little too bias, he simply has a Liverpudlian accent, its quite readily understandable.

He also comes across quite well in this youtube soundbite.

I think the movie will be interesting. 

33 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

He spent many years in UK prisons before getting 3 year stretch in a Thai one, hardly a victim or an upstanding citizen down on his luck, career criminal, if only a stupid one.

It seems your summary is a fair one.

Crimes he is convicted of in the UK: Dangerous Driving, Burglary, Robbery, Driving and Drugs.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-criminal-turned-author-book-10479532

Is 3 years a reasonable sentence for handling a stolen phone though? perhaps other 'crimes' were also taken into consideration.

This guy may not be the perfect example of humanity, he may well have committed some crimes in the UK, but it does seem he is making an excellent go of turning his life into something positive and I support that, he has successfully stepped out of the negative cycle he was in, who wouldn't support that?

Edited by richard_smith237

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think that's a little too bias, he simply has a Liverpudlian accent, its quite readily understandable.

Yeah, he sounds just like Paul McCartney would if he had been hit in the head a few hundred times.