Sightseeing/exploring in Pattaya

xylophone

I am resident on the Phuket forum as I live in Patong, however a friend of mine is coming over from Australia and has asked what Pattaya is like and has suggested a visit might be on the cards.

This being the case I am wondering what there is to do with regards to sightseeing etc and of course items of interest/scenery and so on.

I know that Pattaya is famous for its bars/go-go's, rub and tug parlours and raucous night life, however there doesn't seem much point in travelling all that way just to experience what one can experience in Patong....... so does anyone have any suggestions for some non-sex tourist related sightseeing experiences?

Thanks in advance............

You dont say what sort of transport you will have, if any.

For traditional sightseeing in town, try the Sanctuary of Truth, the park at the top of Pratumnak hill (may be dangerous at night) and the Big Buddha above it.

The scheduled boat trip to Koh Larn is nice and cheap enough, though personally once there I just come straight back again. I would avoid the speedboats.

Out of town, try Wat Yansangwararam near the Cartoon Network water park. The water park itself may be of interest to some, but not to me. Also the vineyards at Silverlake and the nearby golden Buddha on the cliff. There are various decent beaches down in that direction also but nothing magical. You probably know what a beach looks like though.

Mabprachan lake can be a nice place to drive around or for a quietish drink.

Much further afield you have Sri Racha, Bang Saen, Sattahip and Rayong, all of which have a few things worth looking at.

Edited by KittenKong

22 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

For traditional sightseeing in town, try the Sanctuary of Truth, the park at the top of Pratumnak hill (may be dangerous at night) and the Big Buddha above it.

The scheduled boat trip to Koh Larn is nice and cheap enough, though personally once there I just come straight back again. I would avoid the speedboats.

Out of town, try Wat Yansangwararam near the Cartoon Network water park. The water park itself may be of interest to some, but not to me. Also the vineyards at Silverlake and the nearby golden Buddha on the cliff. There are various decent beaches down in that direction also but nothing magical. You probably know what a beach looks like though.

Much further afield you have Sri Racha, Bang Saen, Sattahip and Rayong, all of which have a few things worth looking at.

Great, thanks KK, much appreciated............as for transport could be a scooter, taxi or hire car, so have choices!

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Good suggestions all, especially the Sanctuary of Truth.  I would add Nong Nooch Gardens, the Kaan theatrical show at D'Luck Theater, and possibly Pattaya Floating Market and the aquarium.   

2 hours ago, newnative said:

I would add Nong Nooch Gardens, the Kaan theatrical show at D'Luck Theater, and possibly Pattaya Floating Market and the aquarium.   

Yes, all may be of interest. Nong Nooch is near Wat Yansangwararam , Silverlake and the water park so those could easily be combined. The other ones you mention are also in the same general direction (south).

12 hours ago, xylophone said:

Great, thanks KK, much appreciated............as for transport could be a scooter, taxi or hire car, so have choices!

The distances are quite long between some of those sights.  It'd be a very long day if using a scooter.

Why does your friend want to visit Pattaya?  The nightlife or to sight see?  If the later, I recommend staying out of the Central Pattaya area.  Traffic, especially on weekends, is tough.  Actually, it's tough all around Pattaya! LOL

14 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Why go cattle class to the island?  Very easy to charter a great speed boat and have a wonderful day.  The rest of your itinerary seems very boring.....I mean Pratumnak hill, a lake that is not even a lake????C'mon! There are also way more interesting activities than you suggest.  What about elephant rides?

7 minutes ago, torrzent said:

Why go cattle class to the island?  Very easy to charter a great speed boat and have a wonderful day.  The rest of your itinerary seems very boring.....I mean Pratumnak hill, a lake that is not even a lake????C'mon! There are also way more interesting activities than you suggest.  What about elephant rides?

No elephant rides!  Please!

Same Same, but not much different. 90% of things are identical, walking st v bangla rd, temples, night markets, bar areas, shopping malls, tourist attractions, traffic. Both have, often not so clean beaches but clean beaches can be found. Both have islands to visit with clean beaches etc, just a little closer in Pattaya. Both have the same tiger/ elephants parks, ladyboy shows.

You will notice Pattaya to be generally cheaper than Patong (sometimes 10-20%), 

A big difference is the transport as pattaya has baht buses that travel specific routes, 10 baht a trip.

Seriously, I think you will be hard pressed to find a unique attraction, area, that the other does not have.

Edited by Peterw42

50 minutes ago, torrzent said:

Such wonderful majestic animals,.....you're missing out.

You obviously don't know much about elephants.  If you knew what they went through so you could ride them, or how weak their backs are and how much they suffer, you'd change your mind.  Hopefully.

Yes, majestic animals that aren't meant to be ridden.  They deserve more respect.

5 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

You obviously don't know much about elephants.  If you knew what they went through so you could ride them, or how weak their backs are and how much they suffer, you'd change your mind.  Hopefully.

Yes, majestic animals that aren't meant to be ridden.  They deserve more respect.

Yes, agree. Its not a pattaya exclusive activity, you can do the same in Phuket.

6 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

What about horses?  Elephants have been ridden since ancient times so you better dust off your history books.

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, agree. Its not a pattaya exclusive activity, you can do the same in Phuket.

Thailand's one of the few countries in the world that allows elephant rides.  Luckily, most countries have banned this.  And most tour agencies have taken them off their agendas.  The reputable ones anyway....

Same can be said for tiger shows.  Nasty stuff.

16 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I have guests in January and would like to take them to Koh Larn. I haven't been before and I think I would like to avoid Bali Hi - are there any options from, say, Jomtien.

1 minute ago, Jip99 said:

I have guests in January and would like to take them to Koh Larn. I haven't been before and I think I would like to avoid Bali Hi - are there any options from, say, Jomtien.

Yes.  Most chair vendors can arrange this.  I'd do some negotiating also!

9 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Bali Hi is where the boats leave from so a little hard to avoid. There is not really any infrastructure (jetties etc) for boats to pick up at jomtien. May be possible but would certainly cost.

Bali hi is easily accessed  in a taxi etc, or has parking for cars bikes etc.

Just now, Peterw42 said:

Bali Hi is where the boats leave from so a little hard to avoid. There is not really any infrastructure (jetties etc) for boats to pick up at jomtien. May be possible but would certainly cost.

Boats pick you up right from the beach.  You get a bit wet, but no biggie.  They do the same from Pattaya beach.  I forget the cost, but it's a great way to go.  Private boat, to the beach you want most on Koh Larn, etc.  You can even get them to take you to another island where there are hardly any others.  We do this all the time.  Much better than Koh Larn.  We bring food, beer, water, etc.  A great day out.

46 minutes ago, portroyal said:

« Non-sex experiences in Pattaya » ???

555555 !  None !

Pattaya trip is just made for dirty sex experiences: dirty town, dirty beach, rough people

Pattaya is unique and worth a trip, you won’t be able to discover a sin city on earth like that

What a ridiculous and uninformed comment. Pattaya has more tourist attractions than any other location in Thailand. Its possible to visit and live here and never go anywhere near walking st and the sexpat areas. There are water parks, tiger/elephant/dolphin parks and shows, underwater world, wineries, floating markets,  ladyboy/cultural shows, deep sea fishing, scuba diving out on the islands, rainforest tours, botanical gardens, temples, watersports, zoo's, fishing parks, every dinning option imaginable.

https://www.google.co.th/search?client=opera&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=Uez7WaXoAcjfvgT1_JDADg&q=pattaya+tourist+attractions&oq=pattaya+tourist+attractions&gs_l=psy-ab.12...0.0.0.5439.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1..64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.Lrc6_cB4bbg

Edited by Peterw42

39 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I just don't like Bali Hi and would seek to avoid, especially at high season.

I know speed boats go from Jomtien.

39 minutes ago, portroyal said:

« Non-sex experiences in Pattaya » ???

555555 !  None !

Pattaya trip is just made for dirty sex experiences: dirty town, dirty beach, rough people

Pattaya is unique and worth a trip, you won’t be able to discover a sin city on earth like that

I think we have found a very, very strong candidate for dumbest, most uninformed post of the year.  Certainly has my vote!  Seriously, you really need to get out more.

4 minutes ago, newnative said:

I think we have found a very, very strong candidate for dumbest, most uninformed post of the year.  Certainly has my vote!  Seriously, you really need to get out more.

Is that out of mums basement, out of some country thats not Thailand, or out of the bar ?

4 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Why does your friend want to visit Pattaya?  The nightlife or to sight see?

Hi Craig3365...........he has been tp Patong/Phuket a few times now and wanted to see what Pattaya was like, more in respect of sightseeing and a change of scenery.

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

Boats pick you up right from the beach.  You get a bit wet, but no biggie.  They do the same from Pattaya beach.  I forget the cost, but it's a great way to go.  Private boat, to the beach you want most on Koh Larn, etc.  You can even get them to take you to another island where there are hardly any others.  We do this all the time.  Much better than Koh Larn.  We bring food, beer, water, etc.  A great day out.

This is true, if you want to spend the day on a beach. Personally when I go to Koh Larn I do it just for the boat trip as I dont like beaches and I dont like salt water.

I find the return trip on the regular slow scheduled boat to be just what I want. Speedboats are too fast and too expensive and potentially too dangerous for my taste.

Each to his own, of course.

3 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

This is true, if you want to spend the day on a beach. Personally when I go to Koh Larn I do it just for the boat trip as I dont like beaches and I dont like salt water.

I find the return trip on the regular slow scheduled boat to be just what I want. Speedboats are too fast and too expensive and potentially too dangerous for my taste.

Each to his own, of course.

Is it possible to bring a bicycle on the slow boat

11 minutes ago, torrzent said:

Is it possible to bring a bicycle on the slow boat

Koh larn is extremely hilly, to go from anywhere on the island to anywhere else is over the mountainous centre of the island. I imagine the boats may allow a push-bike, maybe an extra charge, but you would be restricted to the beach you land at.