Thailand or Philippines? Who has been to both?

Elkski

9 hours ago, Just Weird said:

You didn't exactly make it clear what your question was, if indeed you had one, but to quote you, " T^his isn't a thread about which gals are better looking as I am sure there are many in all SE asian countries for me. I am looking for guys who have personal experience in visiting both countries for more than a month." 

Good luck in your search, hope you find a suitable guy.

I've lived in both countries and, literally and metaphorically, the Philippines stinks.  How can anyone in your situation seriously just "wonder" whether you should take a trip to the Philippines if you're thinking about retiring and getting a tart there.  Why would you not visit the place?

Its like you have to choose between Mamma Noodles, or Jolly Bee Bellies..........Filipinas do speak English, but over the past twenty years or so, I have lost more friends in the Philipines than Thailand - if people think the Coppers in Thailand are corrupt, they have another thing coming - the Filipino have corruption down to a science, and you can disappear in the Philipines quicker than poop thru a goose.   For a tourist I'd say it is okay, have been there many times to play, but long stay??  Not on your life, you cant trust anyone.

Edited by TunnelRat69

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Elkski said:

My question is what are the pros and cons of retirement in each country? and why?

Of course I would go visit any country many times including  taking a 4-6 month or longer look before I would consider a official move to  retire there. But so far I have only looking in Thailand and I wonder if I should expand my search to the Philippines. 

I was hoping to get more factual specifics than just stinks.. NYC and LA and Thailand stink compared to fresh mountain air of UTAH.

I do hear the food is not as healthy or tasty in the Philippines.

This may just be a Toyota vs Honda type preference for many.   I've read where some men think gals from certain Asian countries are better looking but I don't believe it is proper to make such generalizations. 

Elkski,

I did this post in the South East Asia forum of TV.

It's a very informative read with 193 posts from TV members from a cross section of readers.

Very interesting and from people who have lived and worked in both- to those that either love or hate both!

One mans meat is another mans poison!

22 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

Never been to Philippines but knew many Filipinas. My suggestion would be get a Filipina wife and live in Thailand.

Filipina women win hands down in all ways. They are way more and better domestic,s. They take more pride in taking care of the home and family.They respect what you give them and  take care of what you give them. A perfect example of taking care of you give them is I gave a Filipina a pair of running shoes. 2 years later they still looked like new she cleaned after each time she wore them. I gave a pair to my Thai wife 2 months later they were wrecked.She never untied the laces and broke the back of the shoes. They were never cleaned and looked like rubbish.. Philippines country is a shithoole but the women are the best.

Marry Filipina live Thailand.

what about cooking?

30 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Surprised, I've walked all around slums in Manila in the very early morning/late night, never any problems, usually the locals shout out stuff like 'Good morning Sir' and 'have a nice day'.

Did you do that on purpose like for exercise or was it by accident?

8 hours ago, Elkski said:

My question is what are the pros and cons of retirement in each country? and why?

Of course I would go visit any country many times including  taking a 4-6 month or longer look before I would consider a official move to  retire there. But so far I have only looking in Thailand and I wonder if I should expand my search to the Philippines. 

I was hoping to get more factual specifics than just stinks.. NYC and LA and Thailand stink compared to fresh mountain air of UTAH.

I do hear the food is not as healthy or tasty in the Philippines.

This may just be a Toyota vs Honda type preference for many.   I've read where some men think gals from certain Asian countries are better looking but I don't believe it is proper to make such generalizations. 

I've got some experience with both countries--over 10 years living in each country and over 50 years of periodic visiting to each country.

Thailand is more advanced as far as civil, social and technological infrastructure and services are concerned--medical treatment, toilet facilities, technical services, electric power, internet and phone availability, housing and hotels, and roads and bridges are better in Thailand. 

However, the Filipino people are much more friendly and outgoing, perhaps due to their English language ability--a party can be organized quite easily and they will party because it is Tuesday. Since alcohol is very cheap--the best sipping rum, 15 year old Tanduay, is about P275,  B177 or $5.33; a standard bottle of gin or rum for less than $2, a bottle of beer for $0.55, and local tuba or lampunog for mere pennies. So, you can sponsor a party in the barrio and not break the bank.

Crime and corruption are less in Thailand, but bureaucracy and immigration hassles are greater in Thailand. A common problem in the PI is that you do not leave your home unoccupied; if you do it will be broken into. Thievery is commonplace, so watch your goods. However, staying in the PI is relatively easy, just pay a fee. If married to a Filipina, you get a free one-year visa, which can be extended either by leaving and returning to the PI for another year or by paying a fee for another year.

Thai food is more appealing than Filipino food, it seems Thais use more imagination in their cooking than the Filipinos and the local fruits and vegetables have more variety in Thailand. The Filipinos seem to cook everything bland, without much seasoning--not just hot spice. Even their national dish Lechon--roasted pig--is what I consider half-cooked--the meat is still hard and needs to be cut with a knife rather than just falling apart as it does with Thai roast pig.

Thailand is more European-oriented, while the PI is more American-oriented as far as commodities, foods, and drinks are concerned. I find the Western foods and restaurants here in Thailand far less appetizing than those in the PI. Granted there are some good Western restaurants here, but the selection of foods in stores and restaurants is not to my tastes. It's very difficult to find a good breakfast or even a burger here--just can't get used to murdered eggs, canned beans and limp toast for breakfast or burgers which are more meal than meat.

Beer, spirits and cigarettes are far cheaper in the PI than in Thailand, but housing, hotels and transportation is cheaper in Thailand. Basic foods and street foods are cheaper in Thailand, but Western foods and Western restaurants are cheaper in the PI. Consequently, it maybe cheaper to live in Thailand; unless western foods, alcohol and tobacco are your major expenses.

The PI has some terrible environmental problems with garbage and pollution everywhere, but there are over 7,000 islands; so many more beaches, jungles, mountains and tropical scenic beauty is available;if you avoid the garbage. Of course, the PI is an island so travel to another country requires plane or ship travel. Thailand offers four other countries on its borders, which you will invariably need because of the visa hassles for long-term stay.

There are beautiful women in both countries, so looks is not the issue. However, a Christian culture and the ability to speak English is a considered a plus by many expats. I think the real benefit for a man seeking female companionship is the fact the Filipinas--both bar- and non-bar girls--are more eager to hook-up with a foreigner with the hopes of leaving the PI. They tend to be more long-term oriented and can more easily place you before their families; if they love you, of course. However, women from both cultures are family-oriented and may expect you to help support siblings and parents.    

So, as previously stated, go forth young man and, as my ole grandpappy used to say, "pays your money and takes your choice."

4 minutes ago, torrzent said:

Did you do that on purpose like for exercise or was it by accident?

Manila Airport (all 3 of them) and the bus stations are about 5Km apart, plane usually arrives around 1-2am. I just walk through the barrio to the (Pasay Victory line) bus station, I always like a walk after a flight.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

8 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Manila Airport (all 3 of them) and the bus stations are about 5Km apart, plane usually arrives around 1-2am. I just walk through the barrio to the (Pasay Victory line) bus station, I always like a walk after a flight.

Brave!

4 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

For anyone interested in the companionship of some sort of partner, but who also likes efficient infrastructure, this is probably very good advice.

That, in fact is what I did. However, that was not the intent.  I married a Filipina because I loved her, we had been together for almost 30 years before we decided to come to Thailand to retire over ten years ago. However, I would not simply take that advice. I do not like such generalizations; some Filipinas are real problems, just as some Thai women and even some Western women are real winners. You really need to have something to offer a woman other than money and make a wise  choice. 

17 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I've got some experience with both countries--over 10 years living in each country and over 50 years of periodic visiting to each country.

Thailand is more advanced as far as civil, social and technological infrastructure and services are concerned--medical treatment, toilet facilities, technical services, electric power, internet and phone availability, housing and hotels, and roads and bridges are better in Thailand. 

However, the Filipino people are much more friendly and outgoing, perhaps due to their English language ability--a party can be organized quite easily and they will party because it is Tuesday. Since alcohol is very cheap--the best sipping rum, 15 year old Tanduay, is about P275,  B177 or $5.33; a standard bottle of gin or rum for less than $2, a bottle of beer for $0.55, and local tuba or lampunog for mere pennies. So, you can sponsor a party in the barrio and not break the bank.

Crime and corruption are less in Thailand, but bureaucracy and immigration hassles are greater in Thailand. A common problem in the PI is that you do not leave your home unoccupied; if you do it will be broken into. Thievery is commonplace, so watch your goods. However, staying in the PI is relatively easy, just pay a fee. If married to a Filipina, you get a free one-year visa, which can be extended either by leaving and returning to the PI for another year or by paying a fee for another year.

Thai food is more appealing than Filipino food, it seems Thais use more imagination in their cooking than the Filipinos and the local fruits and vegetables have more variety in Thailand. The Filipinos seem to cook everything bland, without much seasoning--not just hot spice. Even their national dish Lechon--roasted pig--is what I consider half-cooked--the meat is still hard and needs to be cut with a knife rather than just falling apart as it does with Thai roast pig.

Thailand is more European-oriented, while the PI is more American-oriented as far as commodities, foods, and drinks are concerned. I find the Western foods and restaurants here in Thailand far less appetizing than those in the PI. Granted there are some good Western restaurants here, but the selection of foods in stores and restaurants is not to my tastes. It's very difficult to find a good breakfast or even a burger here--just can't get used to murdered eggs, canned beans and limp toast for breakfast or burgers which are more meal than meat.

Beer, spirits and cigarettes are far cheaper in the PI than in Thailand, but housing, hotels and transportation is cheaper in Thailand. Basic foods and street foods are cheaper in Thailand, but Western foods and Western restaurants are cheaper in the PI. Consequently, it maybe cheaper to live in Thailand; unless western foods, alcohol and tobacco are your major expenses.

The PI has some terrible environmental problems with garbage and pollution everywhere, but there are over 7,000 islands; so many more beaches, jungles, mountains and tropical scenic beauty is available;if you avoid the garbage. Of course, the PI is an island so travel to another country requires plane or ship travel. Thailand offers four other countries on its borders, which you will invariably need because of the visa hassles for long-term stay.

There are beautiful women in both countries, so looks is not the issue. However, a Christian culture and the ability to speak English is a considered a plus by many expats. I think the real benefit for a man seeking female companionship is the fact the Filipinas--both bar- and non-bar girls--are more eager to hook-up with a foreigner with the hopes of leaving the PI. They tend to be more long-term oriented and can more easily place you before their families; if they love you, of course. However, women from both cultures are family-oriented and may expect you to help support siblings and parents.    

So, as previously stated, go forth young man and, as my ole grandpappy used to say, "pays your money and takes your choice."

sounds like cheap booze and cigarettes are your top priority(two paragraphs)....would rather pay a bit more and have some great food to eat like in Thailand....

I've lived in both country's and they both have a lot of pleasant attributes (nice people, food, environment)

As far as city's go i prefer Bangkok or Chiang Mai to Manila. Having said that I was based in Makati for work and that part of Manila is far more pleasant than some areas and was a pleasure to live in. Chiang Mai remains my favorite

As for the people, it depends who you mix with, because I worked in Phils I met a lot of people on a work and social level and the language makes it easy to build friendships, whereas in Thailand I didn't socialize a lot when i was there except with my wife because of the language barrier. 

So from a challenge perspective i think the Phils is an easier place to live but not as vibrant as Thailand.

However, for me personally Indonesia remains my favorite place to live/work. Great beaches (not Bali, I don't rate that place), good food and Bahasa is an easy language to master.

i havent lived in phills, but visited only once--met lots of american men who live there--they swear thats phills is much better than thailand???

i disagree--english  is more widely spoken in phills and i think the woman are a little more intelligent, bigger boobs, but thats about it---

im in china right now---the woman here are nowhere near as stunning as thai woman..

thailand is heaven--has a few faults though....

i just make the most of every day....relaxed--dont get too involved with any woman ---solves a lot of problems

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

It tells me that Filipinos are outgoing and consider themselves part of the world whereas Thais are introverted and protectionist and ultimately extremely xenophobic with a deep-rooted fear of foreigners.

We all see things differently, I always thought that it was because the Filipinos wanted to get the hell out of the country as they saw no future for themselves,  whereas the Thais were happy with their lot!

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

It tells me that Filipinos are outgoing and consider themselves part of the world whereas Thais are introverted and protectionist and ultimately extremely xenophobic with a deep-rooted fear of foreigners.

No it shows that Filipinos will leave their poor country and go anywhere in the world where they can make money to send back home.  Over 10% of the Phillippine population lives overseas and sends money home , there are 3 1/2 million Pinays in USA ---Thai 350,000.  Europe and Arab countries have a lot as well who work there to send money back home.

3 hours ago, torrzent said:

Technically speaking Phils gets typhoons, not hurricanes.

Typhoons....  hurricanes..... same thing.... different name depending on where in the world they are.  Playing with semantics.  Both typhoons and hurricanes are cyclones..    

1 hour ago, torrzent said:

sounds like cheap booze and cigarettes are your top priority(two paragraphs)....would rather pay a bit more and have some great food to eat like in Thailand....

Never understood people saying Thai food is great., a spoonful of MSG and sugar with a handful of chillis in every bowl.

I don't eat any Thai food, or Filipino food just western food (and Mexican), and that's way better in PI.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Another nice thing about the Filipinos.

They don't think all white foreigners speak English and come from the same country.

They actually seem to know a little about the world,  geography, languages and music.

Was sitting in a beach hut one day listening to Romeo Santos on my mini-speakers (nobody else around), and the maintenance man came up to me and said "I like Latino music, do you speak Spanish?". Never met a single Thai who realized there was more to western music than 70s rock or hiphop.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

I have spent extended periods of time in both countries , and cycled all over both countries:The Philippines are not as dangerous as some posters make it out to be.From a cyclist's point of view Thailand seems to be much more dangerous, with millions of maniacs on motorcycles ranking 2nd in the world in terms of road fatalities, the PI has very few motorcycles.I have been violently attacked and threatened with attack several times in LOS, never in PI.

The Thais deep down inside are extremely xenophobic and ultimately welcoming only for our money or because they consider the species Farang an amusing curiosity, the Filipinos by and large seem to be genuinely welcoming.

The PI is more beautiful and still has some of the dilapidated 3rd world charm that makes it so fascinating to many Farang.

They have that lovely accent when they speak English, while the Thais' English puts me off. 

Alcohol is a lot cheaper over there.

Downsides would be the food which after decades in Thailand I always enjoy for a week or two when I return to the Philippines, but which is too monotonous and quickly gets boring.

Hotel rates, which used to be the same decades ago have shot up in the Philippines, and are now twice as much as in LOS, and almost 3 times as costly as Vietnam, where I am now,a country you should take a look at as well.

I think it's six of one and half a dozen of the other, depending on what you want from life.

The thing about the Philippines is that it's easier to stay long term without doing border hops etc. Once you have your Special Residents Retirement Visa (SRRV) you never have to visit immigration again and can stay forever if you want. No re-entry permits and 90 day reports to be done, just relax.

However it does need to be renewed each year at a cost of $360 which would be roughly the same cost to do border hops and such like, (maybe a bit more but worth it)

The deposit for the visa is $20,000.00 or just $10,000.00 if you use your pension (must be over $800 a month) and does not have to be paid into a Philippines bank, just prove that you have a pension which is paid into a bank in any country.

The Philippines Retirement Authority (PRA) has accredited agents who do all the paperwork for you for free as they get paid by the PRA for each visa they do, they can also arrange to get your yearly renewal done for you.

Just Google P R A for all the info you need to get started.

In the past couple of years,  I  have spent more time in the Phils than Thailand and the two main reasons are the current exchange rates and the ease of long term stay in Phils compared with Thailand.

Personally re safety, i find the tourist areas of Chiang Mai to be more hostile and threatening than the places i have been to in he Phils. There are beggars and kids on the street in some places in the Phls, but there are curfews for children to be inside at night.

Both countries are filfty and dirty, difficult to say which is the worst.

I don't think Thai food is better than Phils food but Thai food is consistent, Phils food is not. You could order an Adobo and it could be heaven or hell. A Thai green curry in Thailand will always taste much the same.  I think western food is only better in Phils when there is Western influence behind what is being served and that of course is strong in tourist areas.

Re the language, whilst Filipinos are more likely to speak English i very often have trouble understanding their English, i can speak a smattering of Thai (but not tagalog) so interaction wise for me both are ok.

Re the dating game i would advise caution with Filipina, personally i think they are more 'money prientated' and demanding in that way than  Thais. They can also play the 'long game' very well and can be very deceiving. I prefer Thai ladies on balance,.

Just now, Gruff said:

Re the dating game i would advise caution with Filipina, personally i think they are more 'money prientated' and demanding in that way than  Thais. They can also play the 'long game' very well and can be very deceiving. I prefer Thai ladies on balance,.

Only one example; however, the Australian billionaire Lang Hancock married Rose, a filipina. Apparently that turned into the marriage from hell, and it wasn't as if he lacked the money to support her.

4 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

Only one example; however, the Australian billionaire Lang Hancock married Rose, a filipina. Apparently that turned into the marriage from hell, and it wasn't as if he lacked the money to support her.

Yes, for sure Filpina's are not always what they seem and need to take their 'God Fearing'; claims with a pinch of salt !

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Never understood people saying Thai food is great., a spoonful of MSG and sugar with a handful of chillis in every bowl.

I don't eat any Thai food, or Filipino food just western food (and Mexican), and that's way better in PI.

LOL, never understood how people could know so little about food.  Thai food rates consistently in the top foods of the world.

Saying filipino food is just "western food" has to be the hilarious quote of the day......maybe you like the fast food spaghetti at Jolibees or whatever it is called.  Mexican food?  Are you sure you have the right continent?

Edited by torrzent

I was on holiday there through the Marcos era. I stayed @ the Manila Hotel opposite Rizal Park. Inside was first class but upon leaving the hotel you were searched for security purposes. It took ages to get a taxi to Makati.

I was almost scammed by a family. The young lady was very attentive. We had a poker game & I was almost in big trouble.

I said that I was going back to the hotel for more $$$.

Thankfully, my neighbor in Oz had given me a contact. I started to return to lady & she fled.

BTW, in BKK, the same scam was tried. I merely asked whether they were Filipino & they fled. 

20 minutes ago, torrzent said:

LOL, never understood how people could know so little about food.  Thai food rates consistently in the top foods of the world.

Saying filipino food is just "western food" has to be the hilarious quote of the day......maybe you like the fast food spaghetti at Jolibees or whatever it is called.  Mexican food?  Are you sure you have the right continent?

I think you misread what MaeJo said. There are some great Thai dishes and there are great Filipino dishes,  But i guess most of us like to eat Western food as well and i agree with MaeJo Western food and Mexican food is better and cheaper in the Phils.

2 hours ago, torrzent said:

Typical jump to conclusion TV poster. I don't smoke, I only drink two or three times a week, and I live in Thailand. So, on what other subjects do your open your mouth before you know?

6 minutes ago, The manic said:

I have been to both. The Philippines is a bore. The current government scum. The infrastructure 3rd World. Food awful. Sexual services mediocre. 

I have definitely had awful food in Phils and regrettable a lot of restaurants are bad. If you are in a new town and with nobody to make recommendations then you are almost certain to suffer. But there is really good Filipino and Western food to be found as well.