British man mugged at gunpoint and left for dead on first day of birthday trip with wife to Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

He was mugged, not murdered.  Why on earth would he lie about what happened to him?  It's Thailand and muggings at gun or knife point are everyday events especially in tourist areas.  Time to take off the rose tinted glasses chum!

Reason to lie,

Motorcycle accident, where his insurance excluded m/c accidents.

Never heard of anyone having a broken leg after a mugging, skull, face jaw, yes, knife cuts, yes, multiple leg breaks, no.

I'm guessing his insurance company don't believe him either, which is why they haven't already paid up.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

gun in your face and 4X4 SUV?

Where the suspects wearing matching black leather jackets and talking to each other with Mission Impossible earpiece radios?

I was a witness to EMS taking 42 minutes to arrive on Soi 6 in Pattaya.

And over a hour for a knifing in Hua Hin for the street to be back to normal.

4 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

"leaving him in a side street with multiple leg fractures" - multiple leg fractures, during a "mugging" in which the offenders had a gun, in a bar area, in a crowded street.   Mmmmmmmmm.

Multiple leg fractures are conducive with a motorbike accident.  Just saying. 

Fantastic you was on the scene so quickly to report this news .................................:passifier:

I think to many members are using this story to have a go at Thailand if they have nothing good to say

then they should keep their comments to their selves. The reporter and his news paper also needs

to be 100% sure of what really happened before printing such a dramatic headline. shame on you.

This is either the most unlucky Farang in Thailand or something is completely wrong with this story. 

To me it is VERY SAFE to walk the streets in Thailand (compared to many other countries). Being mugged at gunpoint and having your leg broken at the same time, is definitely not something that happens every day here. Actually, I have never heard of it before.

I always feel safe when going out here and have walked home alone totally pissed MANY nights. Have never been bothered or threatened in any way although being an easy target those times. Actually, I have only experienced the opposite and people trying to help. I feel much more unsafe, when I go out in my own country.

The only times I have seen Farangs get beaten here, are when they have acted stupid and disrespectful. I am sorry, but I simply do not believe this guys story. 

1 hour ago, Jimbo53 said:

Been going down for a long time.. with this sort of stuff happening and the Justice system not making an example of the culprits...expats are going to be leaving in droves. T.I.T.

No, they won't.  What utter nonsense.  Expats will read this rather dodgy story about some tourists and just shrug it off.

1 hour ago, MUSICMAN16 said:

Very sad story

One has to have their wits about them in thailand these days

1. wear no gold jewellery

2. keep smartphone out of sight if possible

3. dont get drunk and legless on the streets after dark

4. trust no one

5. they see you but you dont notice them (criminals are looking for weak easy targets) beware!!

I would be doing these same things in my hometown in the US. Just common sense.

1 hour ago, MUSICMAN16 said:

Very sad story

One has to have their wits about them in thailand these days

1. wear no gold jewellery

2. keep smartphone out of sight if possible

3. dont get drunk and legless on the streets after dark

4. trust no one

5. they see you but you dont notice them (criminals are looking for weak easy targets) beware!!

That maybe true in tourist slum areas, but the rest of Thailand is quite safe 

This story is now going viral

Daily Mail reporting on it .

All the media reports just seem to reprinting the original story

Odd that the Thai media hasnt covered it, and none of the media have added any updates or investigated.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5053991/British-husband-robbed-gunpoint-Thailand.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

This story is now going viral

Daily Mail reporting on it .

All the media reports just seem to reprinting the original story

Odd that the Thai media hasnt covered it, and none of the media have added any updates or investigated.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5053991/British-husband-robbed-gunpoint-Thailand.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

There is reporting; which is just reprinting from one source or another; then there is journalism. Journalism is about collecting information; factual preferably; and interviewing as many of those involved as possible. The truth will out in due course. The victim is going nowhere any time soon. Be patient?

3 minutes ago, dundee48 said:

In these stories you always get the same clowns "victim blaming".

How did you come to the conclusion that I blamed the "victim" ?

What I said is that I do not believe that he is the victim of a robbery .

That isnt "blaming" him .

I was not blaming him for something that I do not believe happened

16 minutes ago, dundee48 said:

In these stories you always get the same clowns "victim blaming".

We're not clowns and we're not victim blaming.  We're questioning what has been reported.   The story doesn't seem to add up as reported.  It's good to question. Let's not forget the recent case of the 2 women lost at sea for 4 or 5 months.  When first rescued, the said they didn't think they would have lasted another 24 hours.  I thought, oh you poor dears!  Then we find out they had an emergency satellite beacon they could have used at any time but didn't because they never felt they were in any danger or in need of rescue.  And, by the way, they had food on board for a year.  And, guess what, a water purifier.  I'm sure they are welcoming movie and book offers--they were definitely masters of publicity.

6 hours ago, sanemax said:

Surely there must be more to this story ?

Whilst She went to the toilet , her Husband got attacked and then taken to Hospital and he got taken away by an ambulance by the time She got back and there was no sign of the attack ?

More like , they were drinking in the bar, had a disagreement , he stormed off and had an accident

Yes sounds very suspicious , you let your wife walk into a bar alone ( would you not sit in bar, have a beer maybe)  then in middle of Soi with many people about, some Thai guys pull a gun on you ,now the insurance company are not paying out until a full investigation , leg injury only?  Very strange, the Thai knockers are out in force, in London these things happen every day, but you never hear anyone say don't go to London it's too dangerous , for me I feel safer in Thailand on a Saturday night out than I do in the UK , in the 15 yrs I have been visiting I have never had or seen any problems and this guy gets mugged on the first day?

4 hours ago, dunroaming said:

He was mugged, not murdered.  Why on earth would he lie about what happened to him?  It's Thailand and muggings at gun or knife point are everyday events especially in tourist areas.  Time to take off the rose tinted glasses chum!

"Why on earth would he lie about what happened to him?" - possibly riding a motorbike, unlicensed, therefore, uninsured, has an accident, wants the insurance company to pay the medical bills.  

It's not rocket science. 

7 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

"Why on earth would he lie about what happened to him?" - possibly riding a motorbike, unlicensed, therefore, uninsured, has an accident, wants the insurance company to pay the medical bills.  

It's not rocket science. 

Case closed Sherlock  :post-4641-1156694572:    next subject !!!!

12 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

I am saying I am suspicious of the circumstances in which this guy received his injuries, so is the insurance company. 

Hmm...seems like an odd thing to do. 

I’ll wait on developments before casting aspersions. 

Archived