British man mugged at gunpoint and left for dead on first day of birthday trip with wife to Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, bust said:

Wonder if the bar was registered so they can make an official complaint.

Registered with who ??? What complaint would the bar make ??? The bar has nothing to do with the story other than the wife went to the bathroom there.

10 minutes ago, markaoffy said:

They should have done research ! Not the country to come to come to for a Birthday holiday !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Research would show almost "NO" incidents of armed robbery on tourists, and reletively low reports of muggings on tourists, and millions of people who have had great birthday holidays

Q1: How long does it take for the woman to have a leak or a shit?

Q2: What mugger with a gun is going to bend over and cause multiple breaks to the legs?

Q3: What type of gun does the mugger have to be able to cause multiple breaks to the legs?

Liars

Trying a false claim against insurance company and trying to scam money from people who have kind hearts

Why is their insurance company contesting their claim ? Until now the police haven't officially doubted doubted their story. What is the point of an insurance if you have to fight to be reimbursed? We weren't there so I think it is wrong to cast doubt on their version of events.

On 11/6/2017 at 4:32 PM, ChrisY1 said:

Poor guy....multiple leg fractures...they must really have given him a hiding....bloody animals!

Hopefully the media back in the UK give this plenty of coverage

Forget about the 500 baht and a sneering "wai". The only way to hurt these bastards like all bastards is in the pocket book. I am so sorry that this poor bugger took such a beating, the only way Thais fight is more than one against one. Never seen a one on one fight in Thailand. Get home on your computer and beat the shit out of these pricks like they deserve.

5 hours ago, Get Real said:

Fundraising again! How would it be with senible people, buying a valid travel and accident insurance?
Never see the problem that might occur, before it´s standing laughing in your face. Is that the point we have come to after 1000 year of evolution and education?
If you don´t use your brain, just use Internet to ask totally unknown people for money.

Was it too much for you to read the newspaper article?:

“The couple, who have two sons, have already had to pay about £3,000 (about B130,309) for medical expenses treatment but are concerned about spiralling costs while their insurers investigate."

3 hours ago, Russell17au said:

Q1: How long does it take for the woman to have a leak or a shit?

Q2: What mugger with a gun is going to bend over and cause multiple breaks to the legs?

Q3: What type of gun does the mugger have to be able to cause multiple breaks to the legs?

Liars

Trying a false claim against insurance company and trying to scam money from people who have kind hearts

Q2 ans:

The sort of mugger who drives their vehicle over your legs while you are unconscious on the ground?

The one piece of "identification" that the alleged victim gave, in the earliest report, was of a "black 4x4".

3 hours ago, Kerryd said:

"Mik" posted a pic of himself at the Drunken Leprechuan at 3:36pm on 3 Nov.

In the bar ?

He says that he just waited outside .

That is quite significant .

In the bar = drinking

Outside the bar = Not drinking

Was he a bit drunk and trying to claim that he wasnt ?

7 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Q2 ans:

The sort of mugger who drives their vehicle over your legs while you are unconscious on the ground?

The one piece of "identification" that the alleged victim gave, in the earliest report, was of a "black 4x4".

No head injuries listed, if unconscious there would be head injuries as well.

7 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Q2 ans:

No head injuries listed, if unconscious there would be head injuries as well.

Lets not forget that as he had just arrived in Thailand , had he been driving a bike , he would have been driving on the other side of the road (direction wise) , probably jet lagged , not used to the hot weather , seems to have been drinking , insurance will not cover him if he has a motorbike accident and hes just standing there , a mugger points a gun in his face , in a crowded area and no one saw anything and he ends up in a hospital with injuries that are usual for motorbike accidents .

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Lets not forget that as he had just arrived in Thailand , had he been driving a bike , he would have been driving on the other side of the road (direction wise) , probably jet lagged , not used to the hot weather , seems to have been drinking , insurance will not cover him if he has a motorbike accident and hes just standing there , a mugger points a gun in his face , in a crowded area and no one saw anything and he ends up in a hospital with injuries that are usual for motorbike accidents .

What are you talking about. Brits drive on same side as Thailand.

16 hours ago, MUSICMAN16 said:

Very sad story

One has to have their wits about them in thailand these days

1. wear no gold jewellery

2. keep smartphone out of sight if possible

3. dont get drunk and legless on the streets after dark

4. trust no one

5. they see you but you dont notice them (criminals are looking for weak easy targets) beware!!

You might want to replace Thailand with some certain area's, places that would be closer to the truth???

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

Was it too much for you to read the newspaper article?:

“The couple, who have two sons, have already had to pay about £3,000 (about B130,309) for medical expenses treatment but are concerned about spiralling costs while their insurers investigate."

No, concern at all. You must always have a buffer if something happens.
If the insurance is valid, why would they need to investigate?

4 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Why is their insurance company contesting their claim ? Until now the police haven't officially doubted doubted their story. What is the point of an insurance if you have to fight to be reimbursed? We weren't there so I think it is wrong to cast doubt on their version of events.

The Police have made no comment at all , neither confirming it or denying it 

15 minutes ago, sanemax said:

In the bar ?

He says that he just waited outside .

That is quite significant .

In the bar = drinking

Outside the bar = Not drinking

Was he a bit drunk and trying to claim that he wasnt ?

In all fairness, the pic was just of him with 2 (very) short Thais dressed as Leprechuans. He may have just stepped inside that place for the photo op. It was mid-afternoon when he posted it as well. 
The news article, like so many similar news articles, doesn't give many specifics and refers to details in a "general" manner instead of a "specific" manner. 

For example, they don't mention days/dates or the time of day the incident allegedly happened. They say they were in the "Phuket region". No mention of the hospital. Claim they spoke to a police officer - no name/location, etc, etc. 

Many stories that have appeared on TV have very similar characteristics, usually on purpose so people can't be pinned down on specifics. For example, if they said it happened outside of the (bar name here), then there's a chance that may have been people in that bar at that time that would know what did/didn't happen (like an ambulance arriving to get a tourist in a nearby alley). Nothing worse than saying you were doing this in that place at that time and someone standing up and saying "Hey, wait a second ! I was there and nothing like that happened at all !" Imagine if they said it happened right outside the (whatever) bar and the owner of the place read it and checked his (presumably functioning) CCTVs and there was no sign of those people being there at all. 

Also, one has to keep in mind that this was reported in a small, online media outlet from the UK. I sincerely doubt that "The Northern Echo" has reporters in "the Phuket region" so they only way they would know of this incident is if someone called/emailed them. Which means you are only seeing what that person told the media outlet and what that person wants the public to hear.

Again, hard to believe they would have spoken to the police "in the Phuket region" about an armed hold-up on a crowded street and none of the local Phuket media sites reported about it.

There have been a few stories like this that I wish the local media would jump all over. I remember contacting one outlet awhile ago (last January) about an incident (also in the "Phuket region") as the story being told was rather fishy (about the gay Irish couple that claimed they'd been drugged "at a bar" and when they woke up figured they'd been raped but waited for 5 days before going to a hospital). They claimed their insurance company refused to pay out as well but they never reported the incident until they were back home, and then only to a small (online) Irish media site (and was copy/pasted to other click-bait sites afterwards). I even tried to contact the  Insurer and the media site in Ireland. No response from any of them.

20 hours ago, mstevens said:

I hate to be the cynic but there's something fishy about this story.  Things just don't add up, from the multiple leg fractures from a mugging to the Mrs going to the toilet and coming out and not finding her husband....surely, he was not mugged, injured, the emergency services called and came to pick him up, treat him at the scene, and take him away all faster than the time it took her to go to the loo....

Maybe this will help:

From the link:

"Mr Laverty had been left so badly hurt that his recollection of the mugging is patchy but he remembered seeing a black 4x4 vehicle around the time he was grabbed."

There was plenty of time for some guys to put him in a black vehicle while she was in the toilet.

11 hours ago, oldgent said:

and exactly what has that statement got to do with members sharing their opinions

the couple in question are the ones that are challanged as to why they are telling

the truth or not

Not only do you condemn others for what you you deem fit according to your obvious Thai apologist enthusiasm but now doing your Psychoanalysis projects on all and sundry. Get real mate - everything doesn't revolve round your insecurities there's a big world out there my friend. Time you took that onboard before you depart this earth having  little consideration for us unfortunates not having your inner strength or morality. Yeah, your one of the greats !!!   

1 minute ago, tropo said:

"Mr Laverty had been left so badly hurt that his recollection of the mugging is patchy but he remembered seeing a black 4x4 vehicle around the time he was grabbed."

There was plenty of time for some guys to put him in a black vehicle while she was in the toilet.

He has a " patchy recollection " , which could mean that *I,m making this up as I go along , and if I contradict myselff , or say something that turns out not to be true, then I can change my mind and say something different*

3 minutes ago, ScotBkk said:

Not only do you condemn others for what you you deem fit according to your obvious Thai apologist enthusiasm but now doing your Psychoanalysis projects on all and sundry. Get real mate - everything doesn't revolve round your insecurities there's a big world out there my friend. Time you took that onboard before you depart this earth having  little consideration for us unfortunates not having your inner strength or morality. Yeah, your one of the greats !!!   

And you accuse others of doing psychoanalysis.

Archived