British man mugged at gunpoint and left for dead on first day of birthday trip with wife to Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

If it is exposed as such, they are in for a lot trouble. 

Depends on what they told the Police, if they told them anything .

If they didnt try to deceive the Police or the Insurance company, then all they did wrong was to write something untrue on a fund me page , which may not even be illegal 

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Depends on what they told the Police, if they told them anything .

If they didnt try to deceive the Police or the Insurance company, then all they did wrong was to write something untrue on a fund me page , which may not even be illegal 

Don’t know about that, tourism has enough negativity to counter as it is. 

Finding a couple lying in a manner that could damage it further won’t go down well. 

If they are lying, that is. 

Just now, Bluespunk said:

Finding a couple lying in a manner that could damage it further won’t go down well. 

But what could they do about it ?

5 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

The only liars are buried deep in these forums with a much needed trip to the Psychiatrists :post-4641-1156694572:

25 minutes ago, sanemax said:

But what could they do about it ?

I'm not saying they have lied, their story might well be true.

But if they have lied about a crime being committed in Thailand to raise money online, then does that not leave them open to charges under the defamation laws or computer crime fraud?

Could well be a grey area, but as the story appears to be gaining publicity, I'm sure the authorities will want to make them suffer for damaging Thailand's reputation further. 

If they are lying that is.

EDIT: Followed link to the UK paper that reported the story and saw this

"She has since reported the crime to police and an officer and hotel security staff have helped. The couple expect to speak to the British Embassy today."

5 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

But if they have lied about a crime being committed in Thailand to raise money online, then does that not leave them open to charges under the defamation laws or computer crime fraud?

Could well be a grey area, but as the story appears to be gaining publicity, I'm sure the authorities will want to make them suffer for damaging Thailand's reputation further. 

They're not. A big boy did it and ran away lol

7 hours ago, Enoon said:

They are insured .

They are waiting on investigation by the insurance company.

If you had read the newspaper article you would know that.

My insurance is the same.  I have to pay it all in cash and then submit receipts and verified translations and currency conversions off the web with forms describing each incident and wait!  i turned in a simple ankle sprang once years ago and it took them about 9 months to pay me the $50.  So a major awful emergency with hospital stay would probably be a major problem!  But I am insured abroad for emergency treatment.  I haven't found a company that would use any other process in the USA.  They all either HAD NO COVERAGE or used the procedure described.

7 hours ago, Enoon said:

They are insured .

They are waiting on investigation by the insurance company.

If you had read the newspaper article you would know that.

My insurance is the same.  I have to pay it all in cash and then submit receipts and verified translations and currency conversions off the web with forms describing each incident and wait!  i turned in a simple ankle sprang once years ago and it took them about 9 months to pay me the $50.  So a major awful emergency with hospital stay would probably be a major problem!  But I am insured abroad for emergency treatment.  I haven't found a company that would use any other process in the USA.  They all either HAD NO COVERAGE or used the procedure described.

38 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

EDIT: Followed link to the UK paper that reported the story and saw this

"She has since reported the crime to police and an officer and hotel security staff have helped. The couple expect to speak to the British Embassy today."

It may have been that they told the Police what really happened and then make a complete fabrication for their fund me page, thinking that both stories would be kept separate.?

Taking into consideration that they didnt have time to plan anything or to think anything through

Would the Thai authorities want to arrest the guy in hospital and prosecute him, giving this story even more coverage, or would they just ignore it and let it blow over ?

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

It may have been that they told the Police what really happened and then make a complete fabrication for their fund me page, thinking that both stories would be kept separate.?

Taking into consideration that they didnt have time to plan anything or to think anything through

Would the Thai authorities want to arrest the guy in hospital and prosecute him, giving this story even more coverage, or would they just ignore it and let it blow over ?

Depends on how big the story gets I suppose.

1 hour ago, ScotBkk said:

The only liars are buried deep in these forums with a much needed trip to the Psychiatrists :post-4641-1156694572:

and exactly what has that statement got to do with members sharing their opinions

the couple in question are the ones that are challanged as to why they are telling

the truth or not

I smell a rat......

I remember years ago - overhearing a guy with multiple bandages and plasters on his arms and legs telling everyone he had "fallen on rocks fishing with his mates south of Jomtien" ...whilst his wife had been shopping........only two things smell of fish and one of them is fish. 

5 minutes ago, Thechook said:

Poor old guy, the elderly are easy targets.  Hope he recovers and doubt he will be returning anytime soon.

Just turned fifty.

Yes, It's a wonder they let him out of the nursing home, let alone get on a plane for the far east.

It is possible to break a leg by simply falling over onto something like a kerb at the side of the road, one push would do that.

If someone knocked him out and he has no memory of a short amount of time then anything's possible, maybe the car he vaguely remembers drove over his leg.

I read the full story and there is nothing said about the time of day this happened or where this

event happened at.  It does seem a bit fishy.  I have been to Thailand a lot and I am curious just

where this happened.  Sounds like Thailand  is getting more dangerous, but then again, I do not

spend a lot of time in the Phuket region, when I am there.

Geezer

This is terrible news.

I just sent a message to my God daughter who arrives this week for a holiday saying she was more likely to be cheated with a smile here than mugged with a knife or gun.

It seems I was wrong...

I hope this guy recovers soon.

"Something is rotten in the State of Thailand", to misquote Shakespeare.

Brit Army veteran, 50, viciously attacked at gunpoint in Phuket

The Phuket News

1509969220_1-org.jpg

Mik Laverty from Newton Aycliffe, Durham, northeast England, suffered multiple leg fractures in the attack. Photo: Donna Spensley / Crowdfunder

PHUKET: A couple from the United Kingdom have launched a fundraising campaign to pay for hospital bills after the man, an Army veteran, suffered multiple leg fractures in a vicious mugging in Phuket last Thursday (Nov 2).

The couple, Mik and Denise Laverty from Newton Aycliffe, Durham, in the northeast of England, had landed on the island on holiday to celebrate man’s 50th birthday on hours before the horrific attack.

Mr Laverty was attacked by two young men who put a gun in his face and demanded money, reports The Northern Echo.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/brit-army-veteran-50-viciously-attacked-at-gunpoint-in-phuket-64593.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-11-07

“They made off leaving him in a side street with

Multiple leg fractures “

Definitely part of the story missing. So it appears he was either moved somewhere else before being beaten or had walked there while his wife was having a leak.

Hopefully the gaps will be filled in by them today as at the moment the report doesn’t add up.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Fundraising again! How would it be with senible people, buying a valid travel and accident insurance?
Never see the problem that might occur, before it´s standing laughing in your face. Is that the point we have come to after 1000 year of evolution and education?
If you don´t use your brain, just use Internet to ask totally unknown people for money.

Muggings go on in every city in the world not just Thailand. Only difference between Thailand and other countries is that they have a better police force and just might have a chance of catching these guys  But scratching my head a bit multiple fractures of the legs Strange  Understand broken nose, broken arms or broken ribs but legs OK see what comes out of investigation  if there is one  Usually they like only one investigation here Suicide Easy for them

3 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I read the full story and there is nothing said about the time of day this happened or where this

event happened at. 

i can't recall the source, maybe a posting on a social media site by the couple.  a picture or something from the day before in front of a bar that is located in patong beach, phuket.  the drunken leprechaun.  the info is somewhere in all these posts.  but not easy to read through 10 pages !!

11 minutes ago, buick said:

i can't recall the source, maybe a posting on a social media site by the couple.  a picture or something from the day before in front of a bar that is located in patong beach, phuket.  the drunken leprechaun.  the info is somewhere in all these posts.  but not easy to read through 10 pages !!

"Mik" posted a pic of himself at the Drunken Leprechuan at 3:36pm on 3 Nov.

Archived