Phuket Poll: How serious should the Patong Beach smoking ban be?

Jonathan Fairfield

Phuket Poll: How serious should the Patong Beach smoking ban be?

p2.jpg

PHUKET: Officials from the Phuket office of the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources (DMCR) last Wednesday (Nov 1) began their public-awareness campaign to inform tourists and local residents that from

the beginning of February any persons caught smoking on Patong Beach may face a fine of up to B100,000 – or even up to one year in jail – under environmental protection law.

Poll: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-poll-how-serious-should-the-patong-beach-smoking-ban-be-64589.php#lphTOP5HAJWR0vjF.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-11-06

17 minutes ago, chingmai331 said:

Wow!  Thailand got it right this time.  10K baht or 20 days in the slammer for public smoking or disgarding butts on the beach.

"10K baht or 20 days in the slammer for public smoking" - read again.  That's 100k, not "10k."

Thai's pay less for killing someone. 

Smokers have always proven they are incapable of showing consideration for others or even disposing of their butts responsibly. Considering that the filters don't break down, leaving them in the sand is piggish.

There needs to be a new law covering this because current littering laws can only be enacted after the event. Banning smoking on beaches altogether is the only answer for undomesticated people.

Having said that, the proposed penalties are way too high in relation to the seriousness of the offence. 

(My strong opinions have been fuelled by a table load of ignorant tourists who invaded a restaurant in which I was eating recently, lite up and blew smoke over our party causing us to wind up our evening early.  (Phuket Yacht Club))

As a non-smoker - and anti-having-it-blown-into-my-face - B100,000/1-year's prison seems over the top. That said, are smokers really unable to go without while on the beach? If so, perhaps they need to arrange their priorities, and if having a fag tops visiting the beach, go somewhere else to smoke.

On 06/11/2017 at 7:26 PM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

face a fine of up to B100,000 – or even up to one year in jail

Same old story, knee jerk nonsense that has been deferred for months.

There are littering laws that cover this, like the cops spot fining Farangs ฿2000 on the street for dropping fag ends. Cops don't enforce anything unless it has a kick-back.

"Domesticated" people, well in my house I have waste bins and a smoking area with ash trays.

Q. How many holes can a Thai official shoot in his (or her) own feet?