Thai jasmine rice named the world’s best rice

webfact

Thai jasmine rice named the world’s best rice

By Thai PBS

60EE0D82-7803-4021-B25A-CBFDFDFFA5A0.jpe

Thailand was voted to have the best fragrant rice in the world in the latest global competition held in Macau, China yesterday.

The competition, the 9th edition of the World Rice Conference, saw seven counties competing for the world’s best rice title – Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, the US, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Myanmar – entering 21 different rice varieties.

Thailand’s Hom Mali (fragrant) rice came out on top, taking home the title of World’s Best Rice to win the world’s title two years in a row.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thai-jasmine-rice-named-worlds-best-rice/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-11-09

BASMATI  is the best !! 

thai jasmin allways sticks to my rice cooker , even when ive tried to perfect this many many times jasmin sticks and gets goooey  and never falls off the spoon

basmati allways falls of the spoon and is much more tasty

15 hours ago, naboo said:

India didn't bother to enter. Everyone knows Basmati is best.

Quite Frankly I prefer Thai Rice over Basmati, Basmati is a bit chewey IMO  -  BTW I was posted in Hyderabad for six months, so have had my share of Basmati.  Yes it is a god rice, but to each his own.   I brought Hom Mali Jasmine rice back with me on one trip, my Housekeeper couldn't tell the difference, when I showed her the bag, she didn't believe me.   So I guess it just depends on how you prepare it.

15 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Do you think Indian rice farmers don't use pesticides?

I used to see dozens of people crapping on the side of the paddies in India, so I guess they do use fertilizer ..............and Indian crap is surley strong enough to kill bugs.

16 hours ago, naboo said:

India didn't bother to enter. Everyone knows Basmati is best.

Is this our Professional Troll Team, breaking character : )  ? Or is it just expats from Brit/Oz orbit? 

Basmati is the high end rice from the subcontinent. If you like Indian food, or your country has a bunch of Indian restaraunts, likely you will think Basmati is the best. If you like other rice based cuisines; Chinese, Japanese Korean, SEAsian then not so much. Instead you believe long grain rice is Numba One.

Edited by LomSak27