Help the country - go and have a soapy massage or enjoy some karaoke..... it's tax free!

snoop1130

Help the country - go and have a soapy massage or enjoy some karaoke..... it's tax free!

bk.jpg

Thai media has announced what many will see as welcome news from the government - you can claim your tax back on a soapy massage or a night at the karaoke lounge.

Sanook (Money) reported that the government's "Shop for the Country 2017" tax break scheme will include two of the country's most well-known vices.

The incentive will allow individual taxpayers to deduct up to 15,000 baht of taxable income for the purchase of goods and services from November 11th to December 3rd. 

This is the third year of the scheme. Last year it only included retailers and distributors but this year it has been expanded.

Patricia Mongkhonvanit, deputy director general of the Revenue Department and acting spokeswoman, confirmed the tax breaks applied to soapy massage and karaoke. 

The measures are designed to 'stimulate' the economy by encouraging spending and will likely cost the government 2 billion baht. 

However, those thinking of a night out to help the country should beware - the tax breaks don't apply to alcohol or cigarettes. 

Just food and soft drinks and other "services". 

Source: http://money.sanook.com/525225/

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-9

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The measures are designed to 'stimulate' the economy by encouraging spending and will likely cost the government 2 billion baht. 

There's much more of a "stimulate" than the economy;-)

I wonder if tourists can collect & cash in off receipts?

11 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Since when has karaoke been a 'vice'?

Depends if you're talking about a Karaoke bar, or a "Karaoke bar".

In any case, I can't really imagine handing a receipt for a soapy massage to my HR Manager at the end of the year and asking him to sort out my tax refund. The whole company would know about it before I got back to my desk :blush:

54 minutes ago, xerostar said:

Most of these services are paid in cash. I'm sure nobody seriously thinks it will be declared income !
When customers insist on a tax receipt they will most likely get a "discount" instead.

Sent from my SM-N915F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Will we hear 'tax receipt or cash discount Sir' more often now?

?

9 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

And they want to clean up pattaya... btw prostituition is illegal in Thailand.. oh make up your mind aldy , roadmap is for 20years.

What has prostitution got to do with this? Massage is kind of vegetative healing, and it's maybe sexual healing, so it's actually a medical service.

Well, don't get too excited over this good news yet.

The expense can, most likely, only be deducted against an official VAT receipt. Well, question is, if the soapy operators are VAT registered and what kind of text goes onto the receipt. 

If I, as a business owner, go and get happy on my company's expense, can I counter book the soapy's VAT charge as "input VAT" my end?

This is a lovely Pandora box of improbabilities - a tip to the hat of the boys in green; well done!