Egyptian deported for 10-year overstay

Rimmer

Egyptian deported for 10-year overstay

PATTAYA:--An Egyptian man who created a life for himself in Pattaya was arrested for overstaying his visa for 10 years.

Talaat Salah Soliman Ibrahim, 47, was taken into custody Oct. 31 by officers sent to his Soi Khao Noi commercial building. The Egyptian tried to flee, but has tackled and shackled.

Ibrahim could not produce a passport, saying it was with a friend he could not contact.

A check at the Chonburi Immigration Office found he had entered Thailand a decade ago and never left. There were no records of him ever crossing a border checkpoint and no visas or extensions. He also had not obtained Thai permanent residency or citizenship.

He was prepared for deportation and a 10-year banishment from the Kingdom.

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-11-10

So much for the farang-tracking system that the Junta has boasted as being amongst its list of achievements. How many Immigration officers were aware that something was wrong, during this 10-year no show, I wonder? And simply couldn't be arsed to act as soon as the computer 'rang' to show that his entry visa had expired.

Edited by Ossy
omission

6 minutes ago, Ossy said:

So much for the farang-tracking system that the Junta has boasted as being amongst its list of achievements. How many Immigration officers were aware that something was wrong, during this 10-year no show, I wonder? And simply couldn't be arsed to act as soon as the computer 'rang' to show that his entry visa had expired.

Obviously the system doesn't work....But wait, it works to hassle those of us that try and do stuff properly...sad-face.gif.d90dd77913acf2f528e64dc6b9eb0a04.gif

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Obviously the system doesn't work....But wait, it works to hassle those of us that try and do stuff properly...sad-face.gif.d90dd77913acf2f528e64dc6b9eb0a04.gif

Who is now on a ten year ban from Thailand and Who isnt ?

Dont sit there feeling sorry for yourself , thinking of all the hassle that you went through to get the right Visa and he didnt .

He is now in IDC and facing deportation and black listing  . 

You are not .

All your effort was worth while .

So, why not smile ?

Just now, sanemax said:

Who is now on a ten year ban from Thailand and Who isnt ?

Dont sit there feeling sorry for yourself , thinking of all the hassle that you went through to get the right Visa and he didnt .

He is now in IDC and facing deportation and black listing  . 

You are not .

All your effort was worth while .

So, why not smile ?

OK......sarcastic-applause-smiley-emoticon.gif.eedb57bd88e0d5a14b7c76b31851dbbd.gif

Ten years, eh; ten years work down the drain in an instant. Back to Egypt with the clothes he's standing up in is it, and that's it? Who would want to live such a precarious existence? Bet he was dobbed in by someone after his assets.

1 hour ago, nausea said:

Ten years, eh; ten years work down the drain in an instant. Back to Egypt with the clothes he's standing up in is it, and that's it? Who would want to live such a precarious existence? Bet he was dobbed in by someone after his assets.

Me too

1 hour ago, nausea said:

You don't need much in LOS to create jealousy. Noe being totally screwed up can be enough.

I was even asked why I didn't have to go report this and that or go to the border and though innocently asked, someone could have added 2+2 and come up with 5.

a

4 hours ago, nausea said:

Either way, it was his own choice. Surely he had made a risk analysis.

5 hours ago, nausea said:

Good bet.

You cannot go wrong.

4 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

I know the guy as a Co owner of a restaurant with his Thai GF/wife?????didn't know he overstayed his visa.Thought his wife did his paperwork  but obviously she did not.sad.?

How could he not know he didn't have a visa in his passport? 

I can see how you could be  fooled into thinking someone else was taking care of certain things for you, like paying insurance premiums or something but you'd have to be awfully uninvolved in your own life to not notice you weren't here legally. 

8 hours ago, nausea said:

Nah....they usually send loads of cash back to home country. In the USA the biggest source of business for just about any travel agency these days is fees on money transfers. I suspect he has a nice stash likely put into real estate to protect against inflation.

Agree, the guy broke the law. Agree, that he is Egyptian so for some it may be enough to blame the fellow for anything and nothing, But if he is deported without letting him take his assets, then it is theft and thus far worse then breaking any overstay law.

5 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

I know the guy as a Co owner of a restaurant with his Thai GF/wife?????didn't know he overstayed his visa.Thought his wife did his paperwork  but obviously she did not.sad.?

Umm...ok, i understand. So you are saying that this was yet another example of an  innocent foreigner cheated by the vile thais.

1 hour ago, decappo said:

What is the longest overstay that anyone has heard of? 

I overstayed 11 years but cleared the overstay in 2014 before the bans came into play. Additionally, my situation was also different in that I surrendered at the airport hence was not blacklisted and just fined 20k. I suspect that out in the countryside there may be farangs who have many times longer overstays but who stay under the radar. But to explicitly answer your question a visa agent that I used said that I had been the longest he had known of until a year or so when a H-K national cleared his with a 15 year overstay. The days of being able to simply financially settle the matter on surrendering ended in 2016. Deportation, however, was always available for those caught.

10 hours ago, Montnoveau said:

We don't know many laws he has broken. If you break one law you tend to break other too.

True. People who do not adhere to a no-smoking ban, are probably committing other crimes too, as hardened criminals. :smile:

Wonder, whether he paid the proper taxes, running his business.

Edited by StayinThailand2much