Scooter crash victim Stacey Liddle fears being held hostage over Thailand hospital bill

rooster59

7 hours ago, impulse said:

Better to throw the responsibility on to the scooter rental agencies to provide hospital coverage in case of an accident.   Like they do in civilized places, where a reasonable (not ridiculously low) level of hospital cover is mandatory just to put a vehicle on the road. 

And if the rider doesn't qualify and they rent the scooter to him/her anyway- then it's on the rental company to reach deeeep into their pockets and pay.   That would solve several problems with one reasonable rule.  

Ah but that would not allow the medical mafia in the land of sins to stiff the unfortunates would it?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ms Liddle took out travel insurance before her Thailand trip but the policy was voided as riding a scooter was deemed a high-risk activity.

This is wrong. It must be: 

Ms Liddle took out travel insurance before her Thailand trip but the policy was voided as visiting Thailand was deemed a high-risk activity.

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

"I say push her bed out onto the street and see how she fares   !!"

Me too, but only after the whinger has paid her bill, of course.

Jeez you should hope someone never gives you the depth of empathy and compassion you dole out to others.  Have no heart?  Are you unable to put yourself in her shoes?  And please don't give us the line that she should have had insurance, that is just not the point.

25 minutes ago, transam said:

Yes, the Gov of the day should TELL rent outlets that ALL folk must be covered by insurance using their machines.....Will that happen....

Nobody gives a stuff....

That's the beauty of having insurance companies with skin in the game.  They have the political stroke to make sure they get all the business that the law says is coming to them. 

It could also be a cash cow for the cops as they extort fine people who don't have insurance papers.  I've never understood why traffic rules are so poorly enforced when there's so much gold in them thar' hills.  Entire towns back home fund their governments with traffic fines.

18 minutes ago, scotchonrocks said:

Jeez you should hope someone never gives you the depth of empathy and compassion you dole out to others.  Have no heart?  Are you unable to put yourself in her shoes?  And please don't give us the line that she should have had insurance, that is just not the point.

Sorry, but it is my responsibility to look after my own safety and for me to pay my own way the same as it is for you and everyone else in the world. It was her responsibility to take care of her own safety knowing full well that she did not have a motorbike license so therefore she should not have hired the scooter but she chose to ignore her own responsibility and now she wants other people to pay for her stupidity. I say to her you must face up to your own responsibility and pay you own expenses.

1 minute ago, Russell17au said:

Sorry, but it is my responsibility to look after my own safety and for me to pay my own way the same as it is for you and everyone else in the world. It was her responsibility to take care of her own safety knowing full well that she did not have a motorbike license so therefore she should not have hired the scooter but she chose to ignore her own responsibility and now she wants other people to pay for her stupidity. I say to her you must face up to your own responsibility and pay you own expenses.

Why did the renters give her a bike with no license...?

1 minute ago, transam said:

Why did the renters give her a bike with no license...?

Why did she try to rent a bike without a license..?

She must take the responsibility for her own actions.

She has made the choice of renting the bike, not the rental company.

She should have known that she had no bike license.

You cannot blame anyone else for the choices that she made.

You must take the responsibility for the choices that you make in life and if you make bad choices then why should I have to pay for your bad choices.

Your choices are your responsibility not mine

7 hours ago, impulse said:

I don't disagree that everyone should know whether they're covered or not.  They should.  But adequate insurance as a requirement to putting a vehicle on the road goes way beyond the tourist rental market.  And liability insurance in general is a much bigger issue when people are electrocuted, poisoned, and have signs falling on them. 

Check the mandatory road insurance coverage limits and anything more than a minor knee scrape becomes a social problem when one or more of the parties is unable to come up with the dosh to pay.  There are countless threads just on TVF (one running right now) about settling up after an accident where the party at fault can't (or won't) pay.  Imagine what it's like on Thai social media.

One other benefit of mandatory insurance is that insurance companies are loathe to cover facilities and practices that are pretty much deathtraps.  Weeds out a lot of dangers before they can even open to the unsuspecting public...  Could even raise Thailand a notch or 2 above the deadliest destination for several countries' tourists.

Mandatory insurance? Can’t wait for the threads regarding ‘ridiculous cost of renting bikes’,  ‘Living costs are ridiculous, Thailand is going to the dogs’ and my personal favorite ‘remember the good old days... blah blah grrr blah expensive now blah 73 baht to the pound blah’ lol

Apparently by a lot of comments made on TV foreigners have such a high level of education and risk assessment and far superior driving skills, far far above and beyond that of these ‘stupid monkies’ and rice farmers. So why do we need protecting so much then? Serious question 

Edited by MadMuhammad

8 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Way too many of these situations occurring. In pretty much all the accidents, people only find out they aren't covered when it is too late. Travel Insurance companies really should make it very apparent to policy holders that riding motorbikes is not covered, or at least have to offer it as an optional extra.

They do, its just to often people don;t read the Policy Disclosure Statement PDS and that's when they end up like this. She has to pay her bill before she is released, no freebies, Thailand hospitals are not a charity, and it would appear she is just trying  to ramp up the pressure through the media.

You know what f&## irritates me about you people? 

You will post about your idiot family member who comes to Thailand and gets busted for drugs. Then all thai visa members will get into a crying orgy how lad didn't know better, he was just a kid and lets bail him out because Thai drug laws are stupid anyway.

Here we have a woman who also did something not as stupid, wanted to have some fun, rented a bike and had insurance. Where's the same compassion for her? She certainly doesn't seem entitled and bitter from the article I read. The only bitter ones are certain posters who yet again show their hatred for western women.

He mother has made many claims about the hospital as far as cats sleeping on the beds a dogs walking around with the rats inside.

I do not know about any of you people but my wife and I have both spent time in hospitals and I have never seen anything like what her mother has described

Plus she had already decided that she did not want her leg saved here in Thailand that she wanted to go home to Australia.

8 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Way too many of these situations occurring. In pretty much all the accidents, people only find out they aren't covered when it is too late. Travel Insurance companies really should make it very apparent to policy holders that riding motorbikes is not covered, or at least have to offer it as an optional extra.

ignorance is not a defence. it is up to the purchaser to check they have the cover they require. i always check, it's not difficult.

I once admitted in one of Pattaya main hospitals emergency section, as soon as they finished the CAT scan they brought me bank card payment device to pay the invoice before I was discharged from the hospital still lying on bed!?   No money no take care in LOS.

4 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

You know what f&## irritates me about you people? 

You will post about your idiot family member who comes to Thailand and gets busted for drugs. Then all thai visa members will get into a crying orgy how lad didn't know better, he was just a kid and lets bail him out because Thai drug laws are stupid anyway.

Here we have a woman who also did something not as stupid, wanted to have some fun, rented a bike and had insurance. Where's the same compassion for her? She certainly doesn't seem entitled and bitter from the article I read. The only bitter ones are certain posters who yet again show their hatred for western women.

I do not care if it is a man or a woman they must take the responsibility for there own choices and if they get into the shit with an accident or if they traffic drugs and get caught then that is their problem and they must face the consequences of their own actions.

8 hours ago, impulse said:

Come back and post after your loved one gets taken out by an uninsured Thai motorist and you get smacked with a million baht of medical bills.  Or electrocuted in a shoddy hotel pool.  Or has a sign fall on them in a breeze...

Probably dont have a lisence, nor do the people who liked the post. ;)

30 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Why did she try to rent a bike without a license..?

She must take the responsibility for her own actions.

She has made the choice of renting the bike, not the rental company.

She should have known that she had no bike license.

You cannot blame anyone else for the choices that she made.

You must take the responsibility for the choices that you make in life and if you make bad choices then why should I have to pay for your bad choices.

Your choices are your responsibility not mine

Why did the renters rent her a bike without a license which the renters insurance would demand....?

Why did the renters NOT ask to see a license so they would comply with "regulations"

Why didn't the renters tell the lady to bugger off cos she had no license ..?

1 minute ago, transam said:

Why did the renters rent her a bike without a license which the renters insurance would demand....?

Why did the renters NOT ask to see a license so they would comply with "regulations"

Why didn't the renters tell the lady to bugger off cos she had no license ..?

The renter did not force her to rent the bike. That was her choice. Bad choice

8 hours ago, impulse said:

Come back and post after your loved one gets taken out by an uninsured Thai motorist and you get smacked with a million baht of medical bills.  Or electrocuted in a shoddy hotel pool.  Or has a sign fall on them in a breeze...

Thanks for the dose of reality here in Blame The Victim Central.

5 minutes ago, transam said:

You are protecting a renter who KNOWS what he must do before he rents a ride...

Very naughty......:stoner:

Perhaps someone else with a license rented the bike and then she borrowed it? How does the rental company ensure that even if you have a license you don't go straight to a bar, get shitfaced on booze and have an accident?

Just now, transam said:

And she knows that she must have a bike license BEFORE she goes and tries to hire a bike. You can only blame her for making the stupid choice of wanting to go and hire a bike. She was not forced to do that, it was her own choice. She could have said to herself "I do not have a motorbike license so I will not go and hire a motorbike". Simple as that.

The first decision was hers and she chose to go and hire the bike. That decision was wrong for her. She must take the responsibility of her own wrong decision.

The bike renter should not have rented the bike to her without her having a license.

8 minutes ago, transam said:

You are protecting a person who is old enough to know better and who did not hold a motorbike license and who made a decision in her own mind that she was going to break the law and not think twice about it. Now she must pay the penalty

Who travels abroad w/o proper insurance coverage is just very naive and who expects some country or private hospital to pick up the bill is dumb and probably coming from a country where there is full and autom. Gov. coverage. Even if I travel back home to "my 1st. world country and go to get some even minor surgery done, I am asked for insurance coverage or deposit. Just normal. But seems the world is more and more full of a false sense of entitlement and elimination of self-responsibility and brain-activity :-) I have numerous times in the last 20 years helped out with deposits for people, who were in trouble and still feel hospitals and care are quite good in  most cases and fees quite affordable, with some exceptions, depending on procedure. Easy enough to google and compare apples with apples.  MS>

9 hours ago, impulse said:

Better to throw the responsibility on to the scooter rental agencies to provide hospital coverage in case of an accident.   Like they do in civilized places, where a reasonable (not ridiculously low) level of hospital cover is mandatory just to put a vehicle on the road. 

And if the rider doesn't qualify and they rent the scooter to him/her anyway- then it's on the rental company to reach deeeep into their pockets and pay.   That would solve several problems with one reasonable rule.  

Sure, why should we put any responsibility on the drunk, not qualified, not insured tourists.

Why are they not going to a bank in Australia and borrowing the money from there to pay for everything. Why must people always put their hand out for a free ride. Any money given to them through any of these GoFundMe site automatically get a deduction of a percentage in fees. But the people still get a free ride because they do not pay the money back to the people who give.

I don't know about Vachira Phuket Hospital, but I've been an inpatient at Siriraj Hospital Bangkok, and an outpatient at my local public hospital, and hygiene standards were top-notch. Incidentally, the only person worrying about payment at both was me. Just saying, in case anyone thinks the article paints a typical picture of Thai health care.