Some improvement, but Thailand’s English proficiency remains low: report

rooster59

Some improvement, but Thailand’s English proficiency remains low: report

Education_Telf teacher bangkok 4.jpg

Now in its seventh year, Education First (EF) has released its annual report on English proficiency around the world.

The EF English Proficiency Index 2017 ranked Thailand in 53rd place out of 80 non native English speaking countries worldwide and 15th out 20 countries in Asia

Thailand was given an overall score of 49.78 which is classed as low English speaking proficiency.

The index, regarded as one ofthe world’s most comprehensive rankings or adult English skills, is based on the EF Standard English Test results of more than 1 million people from 80 non-English-speaking countries and regions around the world.

Despite its lowly ranking, Thailand had made some improvements in its English proficiency:

2013: Thailand ranked 55 out of 60 countries.

2014: Thailand ranked 48 out of 63

2015: Thailand ranked 62 out of 70

2016: Thailand ranked 56 out of 72

2017: Thailand ranked 53 out of 80

Overall the Netherlands was found to have the highest English proficiency with a score of 71.45. In second place was Sweden was Sweden (70.40) followed by Denmark (69.93), Norway (67.77) and Singapore (66.03)

Loas was found to have the lowest English proficiency with a score with a score of 37.56 followed by Iraq (38.12), Libya (38.61), Cambodia (40.86) and Algeria (42.11).

thailand-english.png

Some other key findings from the report:

• For the first time, Africa is included in the EF EPI as a distinct region with nine African countries represented.

• Asia has the world's second best proficiency.

• Panama, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, and Thailand showed significant gains from last year.  

• Women speak English better than men.

• Younger people have better English than older people.

• English proficiency is linked to economic competitiveness, social development, and innovation.

• Countries with higher English proficiency tend to have higher average incomes, better quality of life, and more investment in research and development.

The 10 Highest Proficiency Countries

01 Netherlands 71.45

02 Sweden 70.40

03 Denmark 69.93

04 Norway 67.77

05 Singapore 66.03

06 Finland 65.83

07 Luxembourg 64.57

08 South Africa 63.37

09 Germany 62.35

10 Austria 62.18

The 10 Lowest Proficiency Countries

70 Oman 44.48

71 Mongolia 44.21

72 Saudi Arabia 43.98

73 Angola 43.49

74 Kuwait 43.14

75 Cameroon 42.45

76 Algeria 42.11

77 Cambodia 40.86

78 Libya 38.61

79 Iraq 38.12

80 Laos 37.56

You can read the report in full here: http://www.ef.com/__/~/media/centralefcom/epi/downloads/full-reports/v7/ef-epi-2017-english.pdf?_ga=2.100151326.1418618601.1510360025-178369784.1510360025

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-11

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's odd that Singapore which is a native English speaking Country has a lower proficiency than some European.

Anyway no surprise, the current head of state believes the world should speak Thai and wants Thai nationals to teach English over Native speaking teachers.

Some improvements is an overstatement. Education is not the reason, if any, that proficiency is improving. It is due to the tourism industry people are forced to interact in English.

For interests sake. A comparisons of some neighbouring Asian countries. Every picture tells a story.......in many different ways. A big gap appearing between Vietnam and Thailand. With Thailand well up there with the lower Asian ranking (#10+) countries like Cambodia and Laos.

Cambodia 77th (world ranking)

Very low proficiencyEF EPI score 40.86#19/20 in Asia

Thailand 53th

Low proficiencyEF EPI score 49.78#15/20 in Asia

Taiwan 40th

Low proficiencyEF EPI score 52.04#11/20 in Asia

Vietnam 34th

Moderate proficiencyEF EPI score 53.43#7/20 in Asia

Malaysia 13th

High proficiencyEF EPI score 61.07#2/20 in Asia

Several months ago I spoke to an English Teacher in CNX.  She was Filipina(never lived in an English Speaking Country) and said most of her students(elementary school) just repeat the English words she says.  As soon the students leave her class they pretty much forget everything.  

48 minutes ago, coulson said:

It's odd that Singapore which is a native English speaking Country has a lower proficiency than some European.

Anyway no surprise, the current head of state believes the world should speak Thai and wants Thai nationals to teach English over Native speaking teachers.

Some improvements is an overstatement. Education is not the reason, if any, that proficiency is improving. It is due to the tourism industry people are forced to interact in English.

Not odd at all. Many Singaporeans live far from the main commercial areas and have no reason to use English- use it or lose it.

English is one official language, but it isn't a law that people have to speak it amongst themselves.

Tourist areas-LOL. Even in Pattaya or Chiang Mai, English skills outside of hotel workers is dire.

Apparently, many Thais can't even speak Thai properly, so English will have to wait until that nice Mr Prayuth makes Thai the lingua franca and they won't have to learn English because the whole world will be speaking Thai. Very soon I'll be bound.

If the mountain won't come to Mohammad...

"This year, for the seventh time, we have compiled the EF English Proficiency Index to measure adult English proficiency around the world. This year's index ranks 80 countries and territories based on test data from more than one million adults who took the EF Standard English Test (EF SET) in 2016."

This collection of data is interesting but requires not to be taken too literally.T

This is an adult EL rating and a lot of education in EL takes place actually within companies themselves provided by private schools....this (TEFL) is a worldwide industry

There are extraneous factors influencing EL in Asia at present and around the world too.

One major factor isBrexit.

The perception for many Asian countries, Thailand in particular, is that now the UK is out of the picture in the EU, English is not so important. This may not be true in the long run as US/business English is the world standard but this perception pushes EL training just a step or two back in a companies training budget priorities.

Another problem is that companies seldom have the inclination to set up long term, progress-based EL courses - preferring just to tick the ISO box that covers them.

But the most serious drawback for Thailand has to be the rules and regulations surrounding private EL training companies in Thailand is a major restriction on how effective EL training can be - the obsession with employing a fixed ratio of Thai to foreign employees is a major stumbling block as are the rules allowing foreigners to start and control small companies.

visaand work permit restrictions in Thailand regarding teachers is simply archaic and bears no relation to the requirements of stting up good schools that can service Thai industry.

the result is that probably in excess of 90% of ALL teachers teaching in industry are technically working illegally.

This can't rationally be regarded as an appropriate situation fo the improvement of English within industry in Thailand. ............who despite this are now wondering why people are being so critical of so many aspects of the proposed EEC project that is attempting a major expansion of Thai industry basically with so many.feet of clay

Edited by Airbagwill

8 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Thais are rather inward looking.  Those living on the boarders areas never even think about taking a look beyond the barb wire fence.  There is no natural curiosity.  You have to be curious to want to learn a language and most just aren't .  They don't see themselves going anywhere. 

And I'm sure they're right. Thais are usually right - even when they're wrong, they're right.

17 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

For interests sake. A comparisons of some neighbouring Asian countries. Every picture tells a story.......in many different ways. A big gap appearing between Vietnam and Thailand. With Thailand well up there with the lower Asian ranking (#10+) countries like Cambodia and Laos.

Cambodia 77th (world ranking)

Very low proficiencyEF EPI score 40.86#19/20 in Asia

Thailand 53th

Low proficiencyEF EPI score 49.78#15/20 in Asia

Taiwan 40th

Low proficiencyEF EPI score 52.04#11/20 in Asia

Vietnam 34th

Moderate proficiencyEF EPI score 53.43#7/20 in Asia

Malaysia 13th

High proficiencyEF EPI score 61.07#2/20 in Asia

Malaysia was the only one on that list colonised by the British. Cambodia was a French colony. I wonder how they do in French speakers.

Sometimes English speakers forget that it isn't just about them.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Malaysia was the only one on that list colonised by the British. Cambodia was a French colony. I wonder how they do in French speakers.

Quite right, well said. One tends to overlook Tajik and Wolof. But then if many Thais can't even speak Thai properly, I doubt that Wolof will take much of a hold.

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

This is only tangentially connected to native English speakers.

the fact is that English is the international lingua franca (don'cha jus luv English??)

English is used as a second or communication language by billions who aren't native speakers.

E.G. - If a Mexican businessman wants to talk to Taiwan, the chances are BOTH will use English - that's what it is all about.

Edited by Airbagwill

57 minutes ago, JAG said:

Interesting that Cameroon is 75/80 - given the number of "Native English Speaking" Teachers in Thailand who hail from there!

Yeah, interesting; I wonder how many of those "native speakers" are speaking a mixture of English and pidgin. To be fair, only 20% of the pop. is English speaking, so I suppose the rest drag down the average a bit. Saudi (77/80) surprised me too, given my understanding that it's a prime destination for extremely well paid English teaching jobs, but no doubt a religious based education system isn't conducive to improving language skills, learning the Koran by rote and all that.

Edited by nausea
Spelling

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Certainly in Laos there are many "new generation" businessmen who speak French....but they also speak English, Chinese Vietnamese and Thailand. France still has strong (ish) ties with Laos and so it is useful - they offer scholarships in France etc etc....but as in all countries whilst speaking your neighbour's language helps (Chinese, Vietnamese Thai) is pays to know your Enlgish.

how many German tourists vist Laos expecting to speak German? They will almost always start in English....

I find it hard to believe Austria is 10 th. Just spent some time there and found many people lacking English ability and not friendly to boot actually kind of numb.  Was in Czech and Hungary on same trip and both those countries had more people speaking English and Hungarians are very nice and friendly. 

Edited by alex8912

Unlike Thailand, Malaysia recognises the racial and cultural diversities of its peoples.The nation contains contains 137 living languages

So it is inevitable that English may take precedence over even  Malay in certain official contexts as provided for by the National Language Act, especially in the states of Sabah and Sarawak, where it may be the official working language.

India too EL is  the language of law - this is simpler that attempting to write a legal system in the multitude of tongues spoken on that sub-continent.

so it is not NESs that are important it is the use of EL as a communication tool - a second, common language - that is important.

Thailand needs to see this  and rectify the ridiculous regulations pertaining to EL training in the country - until then it will flounder.

3 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

I find it hard to believe Austria is 10 th. Just spent some time there and found many people lacking English ability and not friendly to boot actually kind of numb.  Was in Czech and Hungary on same trip and both those countries had more people speaking English and Hungarians are very nice and friendly. 

yours is perception and theirs, allegedly, statistical reality - however I think that one has to be flexible is reading these stats and they are relatively small numbers and only the one test by the company who publishes the stats----not acceptable in a full scientific survey.

Edited by Airbagwill

23 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Vietnam was also a French colony as part of French Indochina but they rank reasonably highly for an Asian country.  Certainly much higher than Thailand. 

9 minutes ago, helloagain said:

3 years ago it was russian

This is not not the same concept as learning EL.

Russian would be almost solely for tourism -

Chinese is useful as we are talking about a massive trader that dominates the area - but learning Chinese (or Japanese come to that) is so you can speak to Chinese or Japanese people whereas  English is NOT about being able to speak to English speakers, it is about speaking to all kinds of people all over the world 

38 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

One way to begin would be to stop insisting on a meaningless degree for native speaker TEFL teachers and instead insist on a proper TEFL qualification.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

This is only a minor problem in a host of major problems.

There are in fact many teaching without degrees or with false degrees - largely because if the authorities clamped down on them, they would be left with a shortage of teachers.

any reform in the qualifications required actually naturally should flow from a thorough reappraisal of the whole situation.

Employment restrictions on the number of foreigners should be relaxed for language schools. ( you don't need 4 Thais f every one Teacher)

The return of the one year visa extension for visa of those working at small private schools

It should be much easier for English speaking foreigners to set up Language schools - leaving it to Non -NES Thai people is most unsatisfactory.

Restrictions on location coupled to work permits should be scrapped.

Changing employers or employees should by made easier so teachers who work here for years shouldn't find themselves being asked to leave within a week of leaving a job.

Contracts should be salaried, not hourly and benefits such as healthcare and sick pay compulsory.

Government should be giving tax incentives to both schools and companies to make it easier to take people off work for a while to study e.g twice a week.

Companies should be encouraged to study long term rather than buying one course at a time from a different company every year depending on what's left i e HR budget.

at present the general attitude of both immigration and the DOL it that they are doing teachers some kind of favour by permitting them to teach here - when in fact it is the teachers who have a valuable product that Thailand needs.  

Edited by Airbagwill

Years ago I helped schools in areas of Udon,    all at my expense.  I received a massive thanks from Udon education and were given 3 laminated certificates.

But at that time I was not aware that helping schools free, was outlawed by Immigration.

Update on that--education were very happy---Immigration says we can be deported for working ,even for free.

Do I get a feeling Immigration and education clash   ??why on earth should it be a problem when helping the Thai kids.

It is easy to judge, but let's judge fairly though.

The top 10 countries (except one) have speakers of a Germanic language learning English. That's not a coincidence! All Germanic languages are very easy to learn once you know one of them. VERY EASY! It is huge advantage considering the English spelling system is a royal mess (1/3 to 1/2 of its lexicon as one or more spelling inconsistencies, mostly at the vowel phoneme level) and very few English-speakers have any interest in reforming it. We could blame the teachers or the students, of course. That's easier. Einstein and Orwell found the language "treacherous" and "tormenting", respectively. Quite an endorsement! But, let's not judge that and, certainly, let's not fix it. Let's blame them, not it. Mai pen rai! Are English-speakers, Thai?

PS: I await all the excuses that it cannot possibly be done! "For an Empire with such a superiority complex, that's ... shocking!"

Edited by EnlightenedAtheist