Safest ATM's in Pattaya?

UK2Bangk0k

I'm a bit paranoid about using my bank card even in the UK as I have had my card details stolen twice before and I would imagine Thailand ATM's in busy areas are popular targets for skimmers plus I don't want the machine to eat my card then I would be screwed haha, are there any good banks to go to? (one's where they will help get your card back if it's eaten.)

Edited by UK2Bangk0k

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had my Halifax ATM card skimmed in a Kasikorn machine in 2015 opposite Alcazar beside the booth. Most anyone could ever get is around £100 as i move cash into the card account minutes before use.

Halifax reinstated without quibble within 72 hours

8 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

There are ATMs inside bank premises too. Little opportunity for skimmers there.

Also somewhere like Central Festival.

What card do you intend to use? Some UK debit cards can be expensive to use in a Thailand ATM.

Central: and preferably during business hours of the bank branch although I can't tell whether you would get an "eaten" card back instantly.

No, they don't give you your card back from the ATM, generally speaking. They'd rather sell you a more expensive card package and the clerk get a commission. It's the same reason the ATMs give you your cash and then your card, so you forget it and have to buy another.

16 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

There are ATMs inside bank premises too. Little opportunity for skimmers there.

Also somewhere like Central Festival.

What card do you intend to use? Some UK debit cards can be expensive to use in a Thailand ATM.

Debit card for emergencies although I heard the charges from the UK end are horrific but I may get the Halifax Clarity Card although I dislike CC's since you can't do what you can do with Debit Cards (transfer the amount you want to withdraw to your current account then withdraw it) to avoid fraud etc.

I just asked my main current account that I use in the UK for their foreign ATM charges:

We will charge a Foreign Cash Fee of 2% of the value of the transaction (minimum £2, maximum £5). We will also charge a Non-Sterling Transaction Fee of 2.75% of the value of the transaction. If you elect for the transaction to be converted into Sterling at the point of sale or withdrawal, we will not charge a Non-Sterling Transaction Fee, however the transaction handler may charge you a separate fee.

That's pretty awful isn't it lol.

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

I had mine eaten also.

Just a bit of advise, have 2 accounts and keep both cards with you while here.

yep.  A spare account somewhere, either in country or out of country for sure.  And as others have said use an ATM inside a bank branch like in their lobby, or in Central Festival or Big C.  Much less chance and opportunity for scammers.  With so many people using the machines, it seems to me that if there were some issues, some people would have reported it already.

19 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

yep.  A spare account somewhere, either in country or out of country for sure.  And as others have said use an ATM inside a bank branch like in their lobby, or in Central Festival or Big C.  Much less chance and opportunity for scammers.  With so many people using the machines, it seems to me that if there were some issues, some people would have reported it already.

Mine got eaten at the 7-11 off second road at Soi 6.

It was a double whammy as I had met a sexy lady on 6, but was unprepared and had to hit the atm.

After making a couple of calls and getting nothing, I found another machine with another card and went back, but she was long gone....  

6 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

Nah , not smart,   leave one at hotel or home.

loose your wallet and your screwed.

exactly one of the reasons I carry just cash out with just one business card with name etc plus insurance details on reverse. Why people take wallets out is beyond me entirely

Just now, stanleycoin said:

I reckon even one of the stupidest Tv posters,   could loose there

wallet to a professional pick pocket in Pattaya. :thumbsup:

That is a theft.  Not same as losing it.

Still stupid as most people should take reasonable preparation and use common sense when walking around.

PS: and don't hug too many Ladyboys.

Edited by bkk6060

35 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

I reckon even one of the stupidest Tv posters,   could loose there

wallet to a professional pick pocket in Pattaya. :thumbsup:

TVF Posters are far, far too shrewd for that. Need any advice?

7 hours ago, UK2Bangk0k said:

Debit card for emergencies although I heard the charges from the UK end are horrific but I may get the Halifax Clarity Card although I dislike CC's since you can't do what you can do with Debit Cards (transfer the amount you want to withdraw to your current account then withdraw it) to avoid fraud etc.

Scrap that debit card. If you really want a debit card, take a look at https://www.starlingbank.com/travel/

None of those charges and pays interest.

Though in fact, a credit card gives you greater protection against fraud, so you shouldn't worry about that.

With a debit card, it is your money at risk and you have to take steps to get it back.

With a credit card, it is only a credit which you promise to pay at a later time. If there is fraud, the credit card institution waivers the need for you to pay that portion. So your funds are not at risk.

In addition, it opens up the option to get a cash advance over the counter in order to avoid the ridiculous 220 ATM fee in Thailand.

I've been using my foreign ATM for years here. I have a number of them just for backup.  Majority of the time I use ATM outside 7/11 which as you know are many of them around.  

The machine will have a number to call if your call is eaten like Aeon which is Pattaya not many. If it is outside a bank branch cross you finger good luck, if it is at at place like 7/11,  as far as I know they don't have a key to the machines since the machine aren't the property of 7/11. They will have to call someone for you.

A tip, when using a foreign ATM, many cards go with the International rate of the day, but Debit cards from my credit union don't, when so I request a amount, the screen presents a message telling you the amount you requested and the conversion rate they are going to use, that is the bank and not the actually International rate. For example, if the rate is 33.00 USD the ATM offers you 31.80 that is the bank rate,  it will ask you do you agree Yes or No.  push continue NO?  by doing so you will go to the International rate which should provide you with something like 32.75? 

7 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

I've been using my foreign ATM for years here. I have a number of them just for backup.  Majority of the time I use ATM outside 7/11 which as you know are many of them around.  

The machine will have a number to call if your call is eaten like Aeon which is Pattaya not many. If it is outside a bank branch cross you finger good luck, if it is at at place like 7/11,  as far as I know they don't have a key to the machines since the machine aren't the property of 7/11. They will have to call someone for you.

After which, after half and hour on hold and passing through various department, the bank that operates the ATM will tell you that you need to contact your bank to get a new card, tough luck if your bank is overseas

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

That is a theft.  Not same as losing it.

Still stupid as most people should take reasonable preparation and use common sense when walking around.

PS: and don't hug too many Ladyboys.

Well done , you have managed to get

Soi 6, Lady boys, and ATM ,   all in the same thread.

is there something you wish to tell us about ? :thumbsup:

BTW,   It's only the true Tv ninny that puts all his eggs in one basket. :jap:

Edited by stanleycoin

15 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

It's the same reason the ATMs give you your cash and then your card, so you forget it and have to buy another.

If you're too helpless to remember to get both your card and the cash from the machine before walking away, it doesn't seem likely reversing the order would be a great help. Either the person following you will be gifted with your card or with the cash you meant to withdraw. 

In any event, the ATMs I use in Thailand have a beep beep beep at the end of the transaction until you pull out the card. At some point individuals need to accept responsibility for their mistakes or absent-mindedness rather than shifting the blame onto someone or something else ... it can never be their own fault.