Safest ATM's in Pattaya?

UK2Bangk0k

The wife forgot the card at a atm. I called my bank in Canada and they said there is a small camera inside the atm screen and if doesn't see you it withdraws the card back in. It's a security feature but a pain in the butt. They sent me a new card in a few days via UPS. No charge unlike thai banks here.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only get cash from ATM machines in the mall...at the banks. Haven’t had any problems in years, but it does take planing if you’re not near Beach Road. (my condo is near)

Edited by Doctorbu

I have a Thai bank online account on my phone / tablet that enables cardless ATM facility.

I have tried it a few times and it seems to work like a charm. The security seems pretty good too.

Any thoughts from the tv technological experts?

4 hours ago, GreytMan said:

I'm surprised that so many people still use ATMs in Thailand.

Certainly not having a go , how else am I supposed to get money at the bank (apart from walking in with all my ID).

Perhaps there's a system to do it that I don't know about?  Any help is much appreciated.

2 hours ago, lou62 said:

Certainly not having a go , how else am I supposed to get money at the bank (apart from walking in with all my ID).

Perhaps there's a system to do it that I don't know about?  Any help is much appreciated.

Since the topic  is about using a foreign card, cash often offers better value, as does a cash advance over the counter with certain credit cards. But since taking your ID to the bank is an imposition to you, clearly a step too far.

Perhaps your passport is embossed on a boulder and somewhat inconvenient to carry.

Not so mine. It's a small booklet, that can be carried one or twice in a month, for the purpose of a cash advance.

I don't think I've used a ATM in Thailand within the past five years. For people from the UK, they offer spectacularly poor value.

If about Thai banks, cardless ATM use is being introduced.

2 minutes ago, GreytMan said:

Since the topic  is about using a foreign card, cash often offers better value, as does a cash advance over the counter with certain credit cards. But since taking your ID to the bank is an imposition to you, clearly a step too far.

Perhaps your passport is embossed on a boulder and somewhat inconvenient to carry.

Not so mine. It's a small booklet, that can be carried one or twice in a month, for the purpose of a cash advance.

I don't think I've used a ATM in Thailand within the past five years. For people from the UK, they offer spectacularly poor value.

If about Thai banks, cardless ATM use is being introduced.

OK, thanks for the quick reply, yes it's concerning Thai bank cards.   

Never even heard of a cardless ATM card? Until this thread.

Any way will look into it but I do like that physical piece of plastic, rarely let me down in nearly 40 years. 

1 minute ago, lou62 said:

OK, thanks for the quick reply, yes it's concerning Thai bank cards.   

Never even heard of a cardless ATM card? Until this thread.

Any way will look into it but I do like that physical piece of plastic, rarely let me down in nearly 40 years. 

It is not a cardless ATM card. It's a system that allows you to retrieve money from an ATM without a card at all.

Here is an example in the UK; http://personal.natwest.com/personal/ccet/service/get-cash.html

• Only use ATMs in or immediately outside of bank branches (not bank booths)
  • If possible, keep the card access DISABLED via online settings, and activate it when going out to make a withdrawal (then disable it again)
  • If possible, use dual accounts and transfer necessary amounts into the account with ATM access only when you need to
  • If there's a withdrawal notification feature available (so you get an SMS whenever a transaction occurs), turn it on (it might incur a small monthly fee)
  • Learn how to check for skimming hardware at ATMs - usually it's not that hard to spot if you're looking for it and have taken the time to watch a few videos
  • Get in the habit of covering the keypad with your other hand when entering your PIN (SOME cards do store the PIN - as a hash or encoded - on them in a "secure element", but I have no idea whether most card thieves and skimmers have the practical means to recover it or not; I sort of doubt it) 
  • Keep up with your account status online; check it regularly

I've never yet had a loss in Thailand, but it seems like one hears mixed stories about getting any money back from a Thai bank when there's a fraudulent charge or cash withdrawal.  So I more-or-less assume a loss like this is not going to be easily reimbursed, if at all.

20 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Scrap that debit card. If you really want a debit card, take a look at https://www.starlingbank.com/travel/

None of those charges and pays interest.

Though in fact, a credit card gives you greater protection against fraud, so you shouldn't worry about that.

With a debit card, it is your money at risk and you have to take steps to get it back.

With a credit card, it is only a credit which you promise to pay at a later time. If there is fraud, the credit card institution waivers the need for you to pay that portion. So your funds are not at risk.

In addition, it opens up the option to get a cash advance over the counter in order to avoid the ridiculous 220 ATM fee in Thailand.

I got the starling after a recommendation. Tried to use OTC at SCB on friday last to avoid 220 Baht "sorry sir atm please" (my own bank I might add and had book in my hand deliberately)

Edited by Chivas

I do laugh at some who claim they forget their card in thailand because on ATM transcations cash comes first and card after. For the life of me I cannot understand anyone who walks away without card or cash no matter which comes out first. Just bizarre simple as

6 minutes ago, Chivas said:

I got the starling after a recommendation. Tried to use OTC at SCB on friday last to avoid 220 Baht "sorry sir atm please" (my own bank I might add and had book in my hand deliberately)

Why all the surprise about the banks starting to limit the OTC transactions.  OTC transactions have to follow the rules set by either MC or Visa which limits their "reimbursements",  ATM cards at ATM's follow the banks rules and FEES

Like most things in life;  follow the money 

25 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

Why all the surprise about the banks starting to limit the OTC transactions.  OTC transactions have to follow the rules set by either MC or Visa which limits their "reimbursements",  ATM cards at ATM's follow the banks rules and FEES

Like most things in life;  follow the money 

Yep no surprise to me as such.

On 11/12/2017 at 3:54 AM, pegman said:

I had my card eaten a couple times at a bank ATM in Jomtien. Went inside the bank and a clerk came right out to open the machine. 

Same here in Tesco left my Ayudda card in the machine (going senile) ,next day went back to see about a new card as i thought i had lost it and the girl gave it back to me it had been handed in .

16 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Same here in Tesco left my Ayudda card in the machine (going senile) ,next day went back to see about a new card as i thought i had lost it and the girl gave it back to me it had been handed in .

I hope you post this again next time there is something like a " are all Thai's dishonest" thread.

22 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

If you're too helpless to remember to get both your card and the cash from the machine before walking away, it doesn't seem likely reversing the order would be a great help. Either the person following you will be gifted with your card or with the cash you meant to withdraw. 

In any event, the ATMs I use in Thailand have a beep beep beep at the end of the transaction until you pull out the card. At some point individuals need to accept responsibility for their mistakes or absent-mindedness rather than shifting the blame onto someone or something else ... it can never be their own fault.

In Canada, the cash is withheld in the ATM until you pull your card. If nothing is done for a certain amount of time, the card is also captured. This does save a lot of potential for losses for both customer and bank. You grow up with the system that, if you have your cash, you also have your card. Not so in Thailand. Here in Vietnam, I must pull my card before getting the cash. Seems a lot more sensible. Security systems try to predict human behaviour. I guess these considerations do not apply to those who live a life of human perfection. 

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

3 hours ago, keithcresswell said:

Maybe I missed it but it wasn't clear to me if the poster was using a UK card or Thai. For what its worth I use SCB's cardless system with my iPhone. As theres no card it can't be eaten, it can't be skimmed and theres no PIN number for someone to see. I now use it all the time.

It was clear it was a UK card.

Both the UK and Thailand cardless systems have been mentioned, though at least you have put a name to a Thailand bank that offers the facility.

6 hours ago, Chivas said:

OTC is for credit cards. Has been oft stated that most banks will refuse debit cards or levy an admin fee to do so.

So get a credit card if you want OTC.

My tip for this topic is to get a seperate card holder and use your wallet only for cash or non inportant cards. Keep the card holder in your other pocket.  So it rarely sees the ouside.

This also tends to make you think more what you are doing when in happy mood ! !

Thus if you lose your cash wallet it's not too serious a problem.

I recommend this for anywhere, not just Los.   It is a pain having to wait for a new card to come through.

Edited by Slain

On 11/12/2017 at 5:30 AM, KneeDeep said:

Scrap that debit card. If you really want a debit card, take a look at https://www.starlingbank.com/travel/

None of those charges and pays interest.

Though in fact, a credit card gives you greater protection against fraud, so you shouldn't worry about that.

With a debit card, it is your money at risk and you have to take steps to get it back.

With a credit card, it is only a credit which you promise to pay at a later time. If there is fraud, the credit card institution waivers the need for you to pay that portion. So your funds are not at risk.

In addition, it opens up the option to get a cash advance over the counter in order to avoid the ridiculous 220 ATM fee in Thailand.

Thanks for the tip as I will be travelling to Thailand and will take both my normal bank card as back up as the charges are ridiculous and now my new Starling card with no fees what so ever. The only downside is that you need a phone that isn't  rooted as they will not allow you to use this as it is an app based banking system. Thanks again for the money saving tip

17 hours ago, GreytMan said:

OTC is for credit cards. Has been oft stated that most banks will refuse debit cards or levy an admin fee to do so.

So get a credit card if you want OTC.

I have halifax clarity that also gets refused at SCB (to be fair SCB are the most difficult)

17 hours ago, Slain said:

My tip for this topic is to get a seperate card holder and use your wallet only for cash or non inportant cards. Keep the card holder in your other pocket.  So it rarely sees the ouside.

This also tends to make you think more what you are doing when in happy mood ! !

Thus if you lose your cash wallet it's not too serious a problem.

I recommend this for anywhere, not just Los.   It is a pain having to wait for a new card to come through.

Why have a wallet?  It has your whole life in it better keep it locked in a safe.

Walking around I never keep a wallet with me. 99% of the time cash and a copy of my passport. Sometimes Atm cards.

41 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Why have a wallet?  It has your whole life in it better keep it locked in a safe.

Walking around I never keep a wallet with me. 99% of the time cash and a copy of my passport. Sometimes Atm cards.

And what about Car License, Bike License, Heath insurance card.

Thats about 7 things so far.

What do you keep them all in,  a plastic bag in your right sock with your sandals, ? :stoner:

Edited by stanleycoin

34 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

And what about Car License, Bike License, Heath insurance card.

Thats about 7 things so far.

What do you keep them all in,  a plastic bag in your right sock with your sandals, ? :stoner:

Other pocket in the cargo shorts.