First Thai to run for a seat in Queensland

rooster59

8 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

He’s no longer Thai if he’s running for elected office in Australia. 

Or are the rules different for the governing bodies in states/territories...

interesting: in thailand an Australian cannot even buy land nor become a tthai citicen regardless how long he lives there ( maybe in some very very rare cases never heard of one )... in australia everybody can buy land even if the person is a foreigner also loans are possible ( https://www.homeloanexperts.com.au/non-resident-mortgages/buying-property-in-australia-guide/ )...now in aussie a ex foreigner try to run for elections... try all the above in thailand and u are in about a big negative surprise... 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, free123 said:

interesting: in thailand an Australian cannot even buy land nor become a tthai citicen regardless how long he lives there ( maybe in some very very rare cases never heard of one )... in australia everybody can buy land even if the person is a foreigner also loans are possible ( https://www.homeloanexperts.com.au/non-resident-mortgages/buying-property-in-australia-guide/ )...now in aussie a ex foreigner try to run for elections... try all the above in thailand and u are in about a big negative surprise... 

Australia is a rich country built on migration over 200 years. Thailand is poor by comparison and has an inward-looking (insular) culture. That will change over time.

2 minutes ago, free123 said:

I'll be honest with you, I'm no clearer on this ''can they-can't they run'' as a dual national than I was at the start.

For the umpteenth time i looked at the regulations for Queensland Elections 

you must be Australian citizenenrolled

Read below on regulations I posted simular before which i took from Queensland law..

Candidates are the people who run for an election. Successfully elected candidates represent the community, as a member of parliament when elected at a state election, or as a Mayor or Councillor when elected at a local government election. 

Qualifications

To nominate as a candidate you must be:

at least 18 years oldan Australian citizenenrolled on the Queensland electoral roll (state elections) reside and be enrolled in the local government area (local elections).Disqualifications

It is not the role or responsibility of ECQ or the returning officer to give advice regarding the eligibility of a candidate. Should you be in any doubt on your eligibility you should seek independent legal advice. Information on disqualifications is available in the documents below:

Parliament of Queensland Act 2001, section 64 (state elections)City of Brisbane Act 2010, section 153 (Brisbane City Council only)Local Government Act 2009, section 153 (all other local government elections)

23 minutes ago, isitworthit said:

Read below on regulations I posted simular before which i took from Queensland law..

Candidates are the people who run for an election. Successfully elected candidates represent the community, as a member of parliament when elected at a state election, or as a Mayor or Councillor when elected at a local government election. 

Qualifications

at least 18 years oldan Australian citizenenrolled on the Queensland electoral roll (state elections) reside and be enrolled in the local government area (local elections).Disqualifications

It is not the role or responsibility of ECQ or the returning officer to give advice regarding the eligibility of a candidate. Should you be in any doubt on your eligibility you should seek independent legal advice. Information on disqualifications is available in the documents below:

Parliament of Queensland Act 2001, section 64 (state elections)City of Brisbane Act 2010, section 153 (Brisbane City Council only)Local Government Act 2009, section 153 (all other local government elections)

Don’t lose your rag with me. 

Talk to the poster who says dual citizens can stand for state elections. 

Its not me by the way. 

However this would indicate that they are correct. 

To remove any doubt, an Australian citizen who holds dual citizenship with another country is eligible to nominate as a candidate for a local government election.”

http://www.dilgp.qld.gov.au/so-you-want-to-be-a-councillor/eligibility-to-nominate-for-local-government.html

Assuming local government is state government that is.

If not, I am quite happy to accept you are correct. 

Edited by Bluespunk

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Don’t lose your rag with me. 

Talk to the poster who says dual citizens can stand for state elections. 

Its not me by the way. 

And the problem here is?

The Queensland regs as set out above say you have to be an Australian citizen to stand for election to the QUEENSLAND Parliament. They say NOTHING about holding dual citizenship or having to renounce your citizenship of another country. This is much the same as in every Australian state & territory.

But this is DIFFERENT from what applies under the Australian Constitution to candidates for election to the AUSTRALIAN Parliament. (Sigh)

1 minute ago, mfd101 said:

And the problem here is?

The Queensland regs as set out above say you have to be an Australian citizen to stand for election to the QUEENSLAND Parliament. They say NOTHING about holding dual citizenship or having to renounce your citizenship of another country. This is much the same as in every Australian state & territory.

But this is DIFFERENT from what applies under the Australian Constitution to candidates for election to the AUSTRALIAN Parliament. (Sigh)

They do mention dual citizenship in the regs I just read. 

To remove any doubt, an Australian citizen who holds dual citizenship with another country is eligible to nominate as a candidate for a local government election.

Which pretty much answers my initial question... 

Parliament of Queensland Act 2001

Reprint current from 23 September 2016 to date (accessed 12 November 2017 at 23:10)

64Qualifications to be a candidate and be elected a member

(1)A person may be nominated as a candidate for election, and may be elected, as a member of the Assembly for an electoral district only if the person is—
(a)an adult Australian citizen living in Queensland; and
(b)enrolled on an electoral roll for the electoral district or another electoral district; and
(c)not a disqualified person under subsection (2) or (3).
[(c) relates to criminal record, imprisonment, bankruptcy ... NO mention of dual citizenship which is thus, by default, permitted]

6 hours ago, free123 said:

But why would you want to?

17 minutes ago, swoods58 said:

The Governor of South Australia was a Vietnamese boat person.

yep, we welcome anyone, provided they do the right think , although we should draw the line on the current dole-bludging parasites flooding in. 

55 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Why? What makes you think that will ever happen?

You obviously haven't noticed that 'modernity' is slowly creeping up even on Thailand. Here in the provinces at the end of the world, the number of falangs you see down the street or at the supermarket is increasing steadily. As multiculturalism increases here, as modern communications educate young Thais in the ways of the world (despite the education system), as economic necessity opens up the country to more and more 2-way trade, so the culture will change.

I see all of this on a daily basis in my own family here: Mum & Dad in their 70s basically speak only Khmer and know little of what happens more than 20 kms away. Their multiple children represent the change & its mixes: all speak Khmer to their parents, Thai to each other and Lao to the neighbours down the road (& 1 SIL). The also range from 'no change' in attitudes to university-educated & working o/s. THEIR children refuse to speak anything but Thai (drummed into them at school).

And so it goes. You may not see it, or approve of it, but change is happening all around us - some slow, some fast, and all leading (sadly, in my view) to abandoning many attractive characteristics of the old Thailand. Again, I see this in my village: The old help-your-neighbour attitudes, all in together, are weakening as the kids learn about capitalism and the greed and individualism that goes with it. Jealousies are rising (particularly in relation to the 'rich' falang and his family.

Change is a mixed blessing but hard to avoid.

1 minute ago, mfd101 said:

You obviously haven't noticed that 'modernity' is slowly creeping up even on Thailand. Here in the provinces at the end of the world, the number of falangs you see down the street or at the supermarket is increasing steadily. As multiculturalism increases here, as modern communications educate young Thais in the ways of the world (despite the education system), as economic necessity opens up the country to more and more 2-way trade, so the culture will change.

I see all of this on a daily basis in my own family here: Mum & Dad in their 70s basically speak only Khmer and know little of what happens more than 20 kms away. Their multiple children represent the change & its mixes: all speak Khmer to their parents, Thai to each other and Lao to the neighbours down the road (& 1 SIL). The also range from 'no change' in attitudes to university-educated & working o/s. THEIR children refuse to speak anything but Thai (drummed into them at school).

And so it goes. You may not see it, or approve of it, but change is happening all around us - some slow, some fast, and all leading (sadly, in my view) to abandoning many attractive characteristics of the old Thailand. Again, I see this in my village: The old help-your-neighbour attitudes, all in together, are weakening as the kids learn about capitalism and the greed and individualism that goes with it. Jealousies are rising (particularly in relation to the 'rich' falang and his family.

Change is a mixed blessing but hard to avoid.

Change is happening at an ever increasing rate on a global basis. In many 'developed" nations that change is a reversal of globalization and increase in xenophobia.

However, despite the increase in communications and information technology, I see nothing in Thailand that points to a liberalization or relaxation of the attitudes towards foreigners. We are guests, and the ones who behave are welcome. But letting us have a say in the running of the country, relaxing and increasing the citizenship requirements and quotas, and increasing our rights - nope. Don't see anything to indicate any change of attitude or desire to change in that area. 

8 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Change is happening at an ever increasing rate on a global basis. In many 'developed" nations that change is a reversal of globalization and increase in xenophobia.

However, despite the increase in communications and information technology, I see nothing in Thailand that points to a liberalization or relaxation of the attitudes towards foreigners. We are guests, and the ones who behave are welcome. But letting us have a say in the running of the country, relaxing and increasing the citizenship requirements and quotas, and increasing our rights - nope. Don't see anything to indicate any change of attitude or desire to change in that area. 

Come back in 50 years time. (I did say that none of us would be around to see the kind of change you're talking about, but the preparatory ground is there. Do you think the wonders of Western civilization all developed overnight?)

Q

Qualifications

12 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Come back in 50 years time. (I did say that none of us would be around to see the kind of change you're talking about, but the preparatory ground is there. Do you think the wonders of Western civilization all developed overnight?)

Didn't a guy called Cromwell have a wee input in that?

I'm not a great history buff.

On Mon Nov 13 2017 at 9:11 AM, wakeupplease said:

Can't do it at home so off to other shores and passports I expect as must have had to switch.

Please do not remind us of a magpie punk.

That wast me, that was someone i quoted, my post was saying about someone who was born in Massachusetts and schooled in various countries...