BBJ

DSC_0867.jpg

Pricing

1.      2.0 C Gasoline                 1,290,000 Baht

2.      2.0 S Gasoline                 1,400,000 Baht

3.      2.0 SP Gasoline              1,530,000 Baht

4.      XD Diesel                           1,560,000 Baht

5.      XDL Diesel                         1,770,000 Baht

Just got back from the ekkamai showroom, they had what i think was the top model diesel in black. It looks beautiful. Quite a tall, chunky car with real presence. Interior looks nice but a few scratchy plastics below and air vents are obviously not real metal when close up.

The disappointment for me is the rear seat.. shoulder and leg room is not enough for this size car.. too tight for a baby seat and 2 adults in the back. The smaller HRV has much more legroom. Also the top model is a little expensive and they are charging a premium for safety features (SP). 

21 hours ago, Will E Vormer said:

Just got back from the ekkamai showroom, they had what i think was the top model diesel in black. It looks beautiful. Quite a tall, chunky car with real presence. Interior looks nice but a few scratchy plastics below and air vents are obviously not real metal when close up.

The disappointment for me is the rear seat.. shoulder and leg room is not enough for this size car.. too tight for a baby seat and 2 adults in the back. The smaller HRV has much more legroom. Also the top model is a little expensive and they are charging a premium for safety features (SP). 

In comparison, with the cr-v, yes, the back seat in the cx-5 is the main drawback....but the rest of the cx-5 is generally better than the cr-v. I would choose between the top model 2.0 (with the i-active sensing package), or the 2.2 base diesel (more powerful, but without the i-active sensing package). The 4wd has become too expensive in my opinion. 

Too bad the 2.5 liter gas engine is not available in Thailand. I have 2 liter gas engine in my Mazda 3 and it could use some more power at 165hp and the CX-5 would seem to be a heavier car than the 3.

The Diesel is the right choice for the CX-5, unless you only drive in the city or short distances.

We ordered the new CX-5 XLD last Monday. I am owning Mazda cars since 2008 and I am very happy about the progress the company has done with technology, style and quality.

In comparison, with the cr-v, yes, the back seat in the cx-5 is the main drawback....but the rest of the cx-5 is generally better than the cr-v. I would choose between the top model 2.0 (with the i-active sensing package), or the 2.2 base diesel (more powerful, but without the i-active sensing package). The 4wd has become too expensive in my opinion. 

The top model is quite expensive. We will use the CX-5 as our family car and all the safety features are very important to me. I really don’t need 4WD and the sunroof, but there is no other option...

We use a CX-5 as our family car and I have no problem to fit the child seat and 1 adult. The rear bench is not made for 3 adults - as most cars. My family and I are not very tall and so we have enough space. For short distances you can seat 2 tiny Thai ladies with the child seat.

The Honda CR-V has more space and is more practical - but no so fun to drive. Styling is personal and the new CR-V looks quite good.

Nevertheless we ordered the new CX-5 (our 8th Mazda). I am waiting for the new CX-8 which should come to Thailand end of next rear. This car has no lack of space...!

I rented one in Hawaii for a month, did a lot of inter-city and Highway driving, put about 8,000 miles on it - loved that car, fun to drive, never tiring, side looking alerts for cars coming up on your blind side, built in GPS.   Lots of room.

5 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Just to put that into perspective that’s over £40,000 for an unremarkable,oil burning family hack.No thanks.

Why quote in pounds? What do you drive? Almost all cars are more expensive in Thailand but service is much cheaper and resale is much better. 

9 hours ago, alex8912 said:

I've been very happy with my 2017 that I have when in the States. I do like the extra power of 2.5l as well. The auto rear door is great also closes automatically. Nice to drive. 

Unfortunately the 2.5 has been discontinued. The 2.2 diesel has almost the same hpnas that and double the torque of the 2.0. it should suffice.

Just to put that into perspective that’s over £40,000 for an unremarkable,oil burning family hack.No thanks.

The problem are the taxes. The CX-5 is made in ASEAN Malaysia but Thailand still adds about 18% of taxes.

The Honda CR-V is in the same price range as the CX-5.

They are cheaper option, but you get what you pay for.

I bought a Mazda 2.  The paint is a joke.  If you want a new car covered in scratches by all means go for a Mazda.

We had never a problem with the paint quality with our 8 Mazda cars since 2008.

I always check the new car at the dealer and would reject a new car with scratches.

From the word go in the seventies in europe the mazda was just a joke,they never did much,but in recent years they have certainly come on,in recent times i had a new mazda 2,good enough car but no space.My opinion only,they are way over priced by a long chalk especially the 5,One would think at this stage they would make the rear seats of the 5 flatten out for more luggage or whatever,and put a 2litre diesel in, The  Honda CRV would be better with the 2 litre diesel,then  again its up to the individual customer what he or she prefers,everyone has that option.For me CRV before the 5.

Edited by patrick kennedy

Mazda have come a long way over the last decade and have to be the least dull of motors on the road.  As good as Honda is - I own an Accord, their new designs, such as the new Civic which I considered buying, have short term visual appearance to me.  Every time I see one, I thank the lord for holding off.

Additionally, Mazda also focus on the on driving joy, while others work out what faffary of infotainment and apps they can add.  Non of which distract from driving of course!

As for the price the 1.5 diesel turbo CRV is 1.6mil if I am not mistaken.  Having owned both Mazda and Honda, including a CRV, I’d opt for the CX-5 this time around.

Edited by BBJ

The X-Trail and CR-V are great as spacious appliances to move passengers around but that is about it.  They are both comfortable but about as far from a sports car as you can get.  

The CX-5 dynamics and feedback are in a different league.  It's a shame the 2.5L petrol engine is no longer available.  The 2.5L X-Trail and Honda engines are pretty uninspiring so not much competition.  These 2 are also around 1.55 M baht.

On 18/11/2017 at 10:56 PM, DavisH said:

Why quote in pounds? What do you drive? Almost all cars are more expensive in Thailand but service is much cheaper and resale is much better. 

Because as I said, to gain perspective . I’m well aware of Thailand’s overpricing of cars and that was an additional perspective. The higher resale is not good news either  when as in the uk you could buy a very good 2/3 year old much better car than this for a fraction of that price . That’s not a realistic  option here. As I said putting it into a wider perspective.

On 17/11/2017 at 6:52 PM, juehoe said:

The Diesel is the right choice for the CX-5, unless you only drive in the city or short distances.

We ordered the new CX-5 XLD last Monday. I am owning Mazda cars since 2008 and I am very happy about the progress the company has done with technology, style and quality.

What is the NVH like? ... I thought that it was quite bad in the Mazda3, that put us off buying so ended up with a Civic ...does it have electronic steering?

On 11/18/2017 at 6:56 PM, csabo said:

I bought a Mazda 2.  The paint is a joke.  If you want a new car covered in scratches by all means go for a Mazda.

Maybe the Mazda 2 being cheaper it has a cheaper paint job. Bought my Mazda 3 new in April 2014 and the paint still looks like new except for a couple rock chips on the front bumper.

16 hours ago, JAS21 said:

What is the NVH like? ... I thought that it was quite bad in the Mazda3, that put us off buying so ended up with a Civic ...does it have electronic steering?

I know someone who is reviewing the new cx-5 as we speak. He states the new version has a better rear seat and is quieter inside; the steering is lighter and has a lighter brake pedal (not sure the meaning of that). Everything else is similar to the old version (this is for the 2.2 2wd diesel).  

On 11/20/2017 at 3:32 PM, nchuckle said:

Because as I said, to gain perspective . I’m well aware of Thailand’s overpricing of cars and that was an additional perspective. As I said putting it into a wider perspective.

Seems quite a narrow perspective imo.  In thailand most buy a locally made japanese brand at maybe 20% more than the UK. And the option after 2 years to sell and get 75% back.

Give it 3 yrs and all those idiots who voted leave will be paying the same as here..

Edited by Will E Vormer

On 11/17/2017 at 7:00 PM, juehoe said:

We use a CX-5 as our family car and I have no problem to fit the child seat and 1 adult. The rear bench is not made for 3 adults 

Yes thats the rub. I was hoping there wd be enough space even for 2 small adults and baby seat but its just too tight. The XC60 has more width but stupidly expensive. The Seat Kodiaq has loads of space but Skoda Thailand havent released prices yet.

Yes thats the rub. I was hoping there wd be enough space even for 2 small adults and baby seat but its just too tight. The XC60 has more width but stupidly expensive. The Seat Kodiaq has loads of space but Skoda Thailand havent released prices yet.

It would be fine, if the Kodiaq will come to Thailand! Thanks for the info.

18 hours ago, Will E Vormer said:

What about mid size suv's? Fortuner, everest, pjs are larger if you really need more space (and the price is similar to crv and cx-5). I would tend to avoid euro rides here - unless you have money to burn and don't care about resale.