Police said "he has right to refuse alcohol breath test", claims witness to horrific dragging of security guard

webfact

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, chama said:

The doctor has the right not to be tested....if the price is right. Standard Thai police protocol. 

Everyone has the right not to be tested, but to do so is an automatic admission of guilt.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Everyone has the right not to be tested, but to do so is an automatic admission of guilt.

Thats what I thought the procedure was hence he is being charged amongst other things of DUI, we all know if the offender has a bit of wonga and clout then the injured guy/his family will be paid and a token fine paid to the legal system then maybe a bit of Monkhood and all will be well again...

Hope the guard gets well asap and fully recovers - just doing his job

11 hours ago, giddyup said:

This doctor is going to pay hush money to the family of the security guard, possibly a fine, and that will be the end of it. There is no way he will spend one day in jail. TIT.

It's already over - unless they can get him for attempted murder which would require proving he deliberately drove over the body, he ain't going to jail.

Nothing to do with him being a doctor or hush money, just to do with how Thai society considers recklessness to be a trivial offense.

5 hours ago, wprime said:

It's already over - unless they can get him for attempted murder which would require proving he deliberately drove over the body, he ain't going to jail.

Nothing to do with him being a doctor or hush money, just to do with how Thai society considers recklessness to be a trivial offense.

Hush money, reparation money, call it what you like, but it's basically a payment to ensure the silence of either the security guard, if he survives, or his family. I doubt if you can accept the money and still insist on the doctor being charged. Never said it was anything to do with being a doctor, the guy just happens to be a doctor in this case, and obviously wields considerable more influence and clout than if he'd been a taxi driver.

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

Hush money, reparation money, call it what you like, but it's basically a payment to ensure the silence of either the security guard, if he survives, or his family. I doubt if you can accept the money and still insist on the doctor being charged. Never said it was anything to do with being a doctor, the guy just happens to be a doctor in this case, and obviously wields considerable more influence and clout than if he'd been a taxi driver.

There was a taxi driver who hit a pedestrian in Sathorn and did a runner, he didn't go to jail (other than waiting for trial before bail was posted).

While yes voluntary compensation is a factor in sentencing and can lead to reduced sentences, it's not really necessary here unless they convict him for murder, Thai law just doesn't consider recklessness a serious offense.

7 minutes ago, wprime said:

There was a taxi driver who hit a pedestrian in Sathorn and did a runner, he didn't go to jail (other than waiting for trial before bail was posted).

While yes voluntary compensation is a factor in sentencing and can lead to reduced sentences, it's not really necessary here unless they convict him for murder, Thai law just doesn't consider recklessness a serious offense.

Recklessness? He refused a breath test, that automatically should see him charged with DUI. Are you saying a doctor would not be treated any differently than a taxi driver?

I received the following comments from a nurse I am in contact with who replied to my comment that I would not choose him as my doctor

I am rather amazed and would be interested in fellow TV members input

"By the way, having now read that article, I must say I am unclear why everyone is assuming he deliberately dragged the man. Reading the story, it sounds to me like he was driving drunk and it took him 20 meters to come to a stop.

Both the accident itself and delay in appropriate response quite likely due to the alcohol and I can readily envision someone in a drunken haze driving, feeling an impact,  and needing a few minutes to figure out that he had to stop. He was inside the car, not seeing it from the outside and unlikely to know the man was beneath his wheels, it may have even taken him some minutes in his drunken state to come to terms with the likelihood that  he had a hit a person.

There is of course no justification for driving drunk, so he is fully responsible for the damage caused, but  while very bad this is not the same thing as intentionally, cold-bloodedly  dragging a mean under your car because you don't value his life as people are reportedly saying."

Seems to me a nurse condoning the actions of a doctor, to me unacceptable, he should not have been driving 

No doubt the news on this will abate over the next few days then disappear completely. Will be a clear sign of compensation agreement and minimal, if any, charges faced by the doctor.

Reminds me of the incident up north (Chiang Mai?) where an Australian guy rammed into a motorbike causing the death of the female driver plus one of the schoolboy passengers with another schoolboy (son of the driver) being badly injured. The guy was allegedly drunk and travelling at some speed.

Anyone know how that turned out? Compensation paid and knuckle rap with no time inside?

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Recklessness? He refused a breath test, that automatically should see him charged with DUI. Are you saying a doctor would not be treated any differently than a taxi driver?

He is being charged with DUI - what I'm saying is these are fairly trivial offenses in Thailand which do not carry mandatory jail time.

I'm not saying they're treated the same, I'm saying that because of Thai cultural views on recklessness, the only way he'll go to jail is if he's charged with murder (or if he's committed similar previous offenses which I don't think is the case here).

22 hours ago, colinneil said:

Well just to prove your point, you get pissed drive get stopped, then refuse a breath test see how you get on.

If you ask nice i will visit you in the cells.:cheesy:

I wouldn't be in any cell, I'd be on bail waiting for my court appearance for drink driving. 

Sad, isn't it when you have to laugh uproariously at your own comments?  Thanks for the offer but, no disrespect intended, if I was locked up you'd be one of the last people I'd want to see!

2 hours ago, wprime said:

He is being charged with DUI - what I'm saying is these are fairly trivial offenses in Thailand which do not carry mandatory jail time.

I'm not saying they're treated the same, I'm saying that because of Thai cultural views on recklessness, the only way he'll go to jail is if he's charged with murder (or if he's committed similar previous offenses which I don't think is the case here).

Maybe he's now joined Rd Bull boss. Might be his dedicated family Doctor?  Or Yingluck's

Love Thailand. Could not make a fiction movie here as it is happening all the time in real life.

On 11/14/2017 at 12:29 PM, Lowryderen said:

If a breath test is refused, then a blood test should be mandatory, taken as soon as possible in the nearest hospital/clinic/police station/doctors office or even on the spot.. Otherwise its just moot to even have the breath tester.

Well the current police order states that you may refuse a breath test, but then you are immediately charged with a DUI...unless your name is Jenpop and you go out and damage a toll booth and kill 2 students whilst travelling 180kph (His refusal to do a breath test was = DUI charge was dismissed due to a technicality :saai: )

Edited by SABloke

8 hours ago, balo said:

Instead of trolling why don't you give us the links ? 

Listen, I wasn't being facetious with my first post, I was just amazed that no links came up when you searched but they did when I cut and pasted his name into google, as well as the new reports there was also a page linked to the Mistry he was attached to.

I am not sure what you are getting so annoyed about. It is not trolling, just because someone finds something you claim not to, then change to you found three pages, does not constitute trolling.

Search again and I am sure you will find.

14 hours ago, SABloke said:

Well the current police order states that you may refuse a breath test, but then you are immediately charged with a DUI...unless your name is Jenpop and you go out and damage a toll booth and kill 2 students whilst travelling 180kph (His refusal to do a breath test was = DUI charge was dismissed due to a technicality :saai: )

The really don't care do they? Now proudly number one in the world as the most dangerous place to drive and they still don't even budge one inch to toughen up their drink-driving laws. They have no moral shame about how all this looks:bah:

On 11/15/2017 at 2:26 PM, Just Weird said:

I wouldn't be in any cell, I'd be on bail waiting for my court appearance for drink driving. 

Unless you have an obliging cop in charge of the traffic check and a wedge of baht in your pocket or easy access to an nearby ATM, it doesn't quite work like that.

(Been there, done that... got the cash from the nearby ATM)

Edited by NanLaew

17 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Unless you have an obliging cop in charge of the traffic check and a wedge of baht in your pocket or easy access to an nearby ATM, it doesn't quite work like that.

(Been there, done that... got the cash from the nearby ATM)

Oh yes it does, it's called bail, or court the next day.

Or you, like you, you can confirm that you are corrupt.