Visa overstay by a few hours

We are arriving Bangkok by air from Spain on a two months tourist visa at lunchtime 13 January 2018, this means our visa expires i assume at midnight 13 March 2018 but our flight out to Dubai is 14 March 2018 when we can check in at 06:30am for a 09:30am departure, we are staying overnight in Bangkok so could be at the check in at 06:30am when it opens so technically we would have overstayed by around six and half hours, we can of course obtain a 30 day extension at a cost of THB1900 each but do you think it will be necessary, i should add that we will leave via Fast Track

You actually get 60 days (not two months) but that, does indeed, mean your permission to stay will expire at midnight March 13 (1st day + 59 days). As others have advised, a single day overstay is not currently considered a serious issue, and will have no serious consequences.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Your situation is common, which is why they don't charge for a few hour overstay.

You might receive an overstay stamp, but that shouldn't cause you any problems in the future.

No, they will not receive an overstay stamp, as there is a one day grace period for leaving by air.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, GreytMan said:

No, they will not receive an overstay stamp, as there is a one day grace period for leaving by air.

Yes, they MIGHT. It will depend on the IO at passport control. Some people get stamps, some don't.

There is no one day grace period for leaving by air. It would still be classed as an overstay. The fine is only waived, if overataying less than 24 hours, at BKK and DMK airports. It's still charged at the other international airports.

I had my visa expiring the day I entered by 2 hours , the booth immigration officer  shut his booth took me to his boss, after debate , we went with the boss to her boss, and being polite and calm , I was eventually stamped with no over stay, 

This being Los and whom you front up too can have a bearing on what out come you receive, 

Are you coming back ? will it matter ?  But I think you will be OK, 

1 minute ago, German farang said:

Maybe. Depends on the immigration officer to deal with. How ever, worst case would be just thb 500 for 1 day.

There is no fine levied for overstays of less than 24 hours if going through an airport, regardless of the IO you deal with, this is well documented.

The only unknown is the stamp for overstay, plus the time taken to obtain this.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, elviajero said:

Yes, they MIGHT. It will depend on the IO at passport control. Some people get stamps, some don't.

There is no one day grace period for leaving by air. It would still be classed as an overstay. The fine is only waived, if overataying less than 24 hours, at BKK and DMK airports. It's still charged at the other international airports.

Yes, there is a grace period when leaving by air. Otherwise the the fine would not be waived on a consistent basis.

Yes of course there is a stamp showing the actual day you left. Which of course is normal. That is usually signed off by a senior officer.

I also don't agree that it is just the Bangkok airports; 

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/961658-overstay-office-counter-at-chiang-mai-airport/?do=findComment&comment=11483949

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/789219-one-day-overstay-problem-or-not/?do=findComment&comment=8905825

Just, perhaps, that it is discretionary at some other International airports.

On a 7 hour overstay my 3 family members were taken to the overstay counter where we were stamped out as normal with comments written alongside the stamp, but no overstay stamp or fine.

Edit: it has not affected any other frequent comings and goings from LOS.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

5 hours ago, Mattd said:

Not applicable, as it will be less than 24 hours and at an airport not a land border.

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

There are no "maybes" about it .

No fine for one day overstays at airports. 

The fine is only waived at BKK and DMK.

3 hours ago, GreytMan said:

Yes, there is a grace period when leaving by air. Otherwise the the fine would not be waived on a consistent basis.

Yes of course there is a stamp showing the actual day you left. Which of course is normal. That is usually signed off by a senior officer.

I also don't agree that it is just the Bangkok airports; 

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/961658-overstay-office-counter-at-chiang-mai-airport/?do=findComment&comment=11483949

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/789219-one-day-overstay-problem-or-not/?do=findComment&comment=8905825

Just, perhaps, that it is discretionary at some other International airports.

No there isn't. Show me the law/regulation that says you can overstay by one day if leaving by air. It is the fine that is being waived, not the overstay.

It is BKK and DMK that use this discretionary power. I am sure someone, at every border crossing land or air, at some point has not been fined for a one day overstay. But as a general rule you will still get fined at all airports other than BKK and DMK.

Edited by elviajero

3 hours ago, German farang said:

Maybe. Depends on the immigration officer to deal with. How ever, worst case would be just thb 500 for 1 day.

I had this situation in April.

Did not get an overstay stamp but it was hand written that I had overstayed, underneath the exit stamp.

Well technically you do overstay.

And all can be avoid very easy.

Just go to the airport and stay there the night.

6.5 hrs is not the worst thing that one has to endure in a thai airport.

500 thb is per day fine in the first 45 days to be paid and then you can have 1900 thb for visa.

There is no grease period.

Just being lucky not stamped.

Technically they will charge you 500 and 1900.  = 2400thb for 6.5 hrs that you are to late.

You not want to pay 1900 thb and risk the temper of an officer. In the way to the airport and at the airport.

10 minutes ago, Autonuaq said:

Problem with that is that you have to go through check in first before you go through immigration and check ins dont open until two hours before the flight

5 hours ago, Autonuaq said:

6.5 hrs is not the worst thing that one has to endure in a thai airport.

500 thb is per day fine in the first 45 days to be paid and then you can have 1900 thb for visa.

There is no grease period.

Just being lucky not stamped.

Technically they will charge you 500 and 1900.  = 2400thb for 6.5 hrs that you are to late.

You not want to pay 1900 thb and risk the temper of an officer. In the way to the airport and at the airport.

This is all total nonsense.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, elviajero said:

No there isn't. Show me the law/regulation that says you can overstay by one day if leaving by air. It is the fine that is being waived, not the overstay.

It is BKK and DMK that use this discretionary power. I am sure someone, at every border crossing land or air, at some point has not been fined for a one day overstay. But as a general rule you will still get fined at all airports other than BKK and DMK.

Don't need to show you regulation. Twenty five years of travel and never fined for the one day overstay.

Everyone knows that is the case.

I already linked to two cases of no fine at CNX.

So it seems they use their discretion there too......

On 11/15/2017 at 6:58 PM, Autonuaq said:

They won't allow you to clear immigration until you're checked in, usually about three hours prior to the flight leaving. 

On 11/16/2017 at 8:24 AM, xtrnuno41 said:

You will be charged 1 day over, costs 500 bath. Just had it last year 

No charge is applied in the first 24 hours. From the second day there will be a two day overstay charge, 1000 baht. There's even a sign up at the airport saying so.