British tourist, 60, drowns at Phuket's Karon Beach

webfact

British tourist, 60, drowns at Karon Beach

Eakkapop Thongtub

1510657150_1-org.jpg

The man was pulled unconscious from the water at Karon Beach at around 2pm today (Nov 14). Photo: Tourist Volunteers

PHUKET: A 60-year-old British tourist drowned at Karon Beach this afternoon (Nov 14).

The man, whose name The Phuket News is withholding until his family have been informed, was pronounced dead at Patong Hospital when transferred there after being pulled unconscious from the water at Karon Beach at just after 2pm.

A Marine Safety Unit based at the Tourist Information Centre of Karon Beach were informed about the incident at 2:20 pm.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/british-tourist-60-drowns-at-karon-beach-64694.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-11-15

8 minutes ago, Enoon said:

British tourist mistakes sign that says "Do Not Swim" for sign that says "Go Ahead, Jump in And Have A Laugh"?

(Or maybe there wasn't a policeman there to point at it at the time)

The red flags and 'Do not swim ' signs on Karon Beach have been taken over by the parasail operators and used to reinforce their efforts to keep beach users and swimmers away from their four exclusive landing and take-off zones. The signs are not erected by lifeguards and bear no relevance to the sea state.  This misuse of warning signs will further erode their credibility.

21 minutes ago, nasanews said:

People over 60 should avoid swimming in sea, more risky than swimming pools..

Cant disagree that normally a swimming pool would be a safer bet than the open sea

The risk involved would be directly proportionate to the persons swimming ability and their physical condition

Not ignoring warning signs / flags and no alcohol apply to all and sundry

6 hours ago, chub said:

The red flags and 'Do not swim ' signs on Karon Beach have been taken over by the parasail operators and used to reinforce their efforts to keep beach users and swimmers away from their four exclusive landing and take-off zones. The signs are not erected by lifeguards and bear no relevance to the sea state.  This misuse of warning signs will further erode their credibility.

Those guys are a law unto themselves.  All the backhanders keeps any enforcement of what could be considered regulations and law enforcement magically disappears.

Jeez is everyone now blaming the lack of lifeguards and poor signage for some bloke who drowned?

If that's the case take away all the lifeguards and the signs and get on with it boys....go for it and don't complain any more.

They didn't drown him....he drowned him!!!!!!

Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by tryasimight

3 hours ago, steelepulse said:

Those guys are a law unto themselves.  All the backhanders keeps any enforcement of what could be considered regulations and law enforcement magically disappears.

Spare me!!!!!

What are you saying.........the lack of brown envelopes causes people to jump into the water and drown lemming like?    Go to a beach where there are no lifeguards...and there are plenty if you can't swim keep out of the water....what is so hard to understand about that.

Do you really think these guys get off on pulling people out of the sea half or completely dead and then go through the personal trauma or elation as their training kicks in and see a corpse on their lips or an unconscious but breathing body go to hospital? And most likely never know if that person has lived or died or lived with permanent brain damage?

I guess you've never been involved in life saving?

Edited by tryasimight

12 minutes ago, wellred said:

I've never gone in deeper than waist height at Karon beach as the waves always look a lot more choppy there. 

Doesn't matter whether choppy or calm, it's what lies beneath.

I briefly got dragged under when I was about five years old and I quickly learned the power of the sea.  Fortunately, on that occasion, the sea spat me back out again.  

Forget about lifeguards as you are at the mercy of the force of nature.  I'm a good swimmer and much prefer the pool these days.  

10 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Spare me!!!!!

What are you saying.........the lack of brown envelopes causes people to jump into the water and drown lemming like?    Go to a beach where there are no lifeguards...and there are plenty if you can't swim keep out of the water....what is so hard to understand about that.

Do you really think these guys get off on pulling people out of the sea half or completely dead and then go through the personal trauma or elation as their training kicks in and see a corpse on their lips or an unconscious but breathing body go to hospital? And most likely never know if that person has lived or died or lived with permanent brain damage?

I guess you've never been involved in life saving?

Jr, I'm talking about the parasail clowns and jetski ilk.  Not sure what you're on about, but it sure isn't what I was talking about.  Maybe grasp what you quote before you quote and appear like you've not a clue as to what you're quoting.