A baffling linkage from Prawit

webfact

EDITORIAL

A baffling linkage from Prawit

By The Nation

What are we to make of the deputy premier’s belief that Islamic State terrorists are among foreigners overstaying their Thai visas?

No one doubts that better law enforcement at the various entry points to Thailand would help block unwanted elements. But nor does anyone doubt there are state officials and other people of influence who benefit financially from fines imposed on foreign visitors who overstay their visas and criminals operating in major cities who are willing and able to pay bribes.

Briefing reporters a couple of days ago about a planned crackdown on the estimated 100,000 foreign nationals who are currently overstaying their visas in Thailand, Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan said it was possible that Islamic State terrorists are among them. It’s not clear what Prawit had in mind when he made the statement, but political insiders have said the Internal Security Operation Command (Isoc), which he oversees, is seeking to expand its scope of operations into the realm of anti-corruption initiatives. 

Debate never ceases over the reasons foreign visitors fail to renew their visas in a timely fashion, but it cannot be denied that a segment of the private and official establishment feeds on foreigners working in Thailand without the required work permit and those who overstay their visas. Countless foreigners working here without a permit routinely hire “runners” to take their passports to the border to gain an exit stamp and turn right around for a fresh tourist visa. Those who cannot afford this service simply

proceed without the proper documentation, taking the chance that the authorities won’t catch them. If caught, they believe, often rightfully, their employers will bribe the authorities to let the matter pass. 

Once in a blue moon, however, security chiefs decide a crackdown on visa mischief is in order. Buildings are raided, arrests are made and little regard is given to individual rights on these blind sweeps conducted in the name of “national security”. It’s no surprise there is scant consistency to such operations in terms of either policy or procedure. High-ranking officials also send out mixed and confusing signals, such as Prawit’s baffling statement linking visa abuse to Islamic State terrorism. 

The deputy premier, who is also Defence minister, really must be clearer in his pronouncements, especially when they involve sensitive issues. He and the rest of the state security apparatus owe the public an explanation about this apparent terrorist presence in Thailand, if indeed there is one. They cannot toss notions about, heedless of their possible impact. The abuse of visa laws is one matter, the menace of terrorists quite another.

For half a century, Thailand has been an R&R (rest and recreation) destination for millions of participants in wars and war games taking place around the region. It has been home away from home for self-proclaimed freedom fighters and other combatants, from Khmer Rouge and Lao Hmong to Myanmar ethnic militants and Tamil Tigers, here to lie low, take a break or make a deal. 

If it is deemed to be in Thailand’s interest, they’re given logistical support. If not, the authorities have often turned a blind eye, reasoning that the government can’t risk becoming mired in another nation’s conflicts. However, there are times when 

turning a blind eye can only make matters worse. Foreign crime syndicates are operating in Pattaya and Phuket with little restraint – and in fact often with the cooperation of the local authorities. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/opinion/30331619

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-15

Another critical story by The Nation; is this just them or is the other major English language newspaper (banned on this forum, I know) coming out with similar articles. Also, be interested to know if the public has access to Thai versions.

I think that the Nation has hired a new editorial writer, and so far so good. Keep it up.

56 minutes ago, webfact said:

What are we to make of the deputy premier’s belief that Islamic State terrorists are among foreigners overstaying their Thai visas?

The author poses an interesting question, but I believe answers it wholly; 

57 minutes ago, webfact said:

...but political insiders have said the Internal Security Operation Command (Isoc), which he oversees, is seeking to expand its scope of operations into the realm of anti-corruption initiatives.

I have noticed that when a part of Thailand's security services mention a threat, an increase of budget (and thus power/responsibility) follows. Occam's razor says that the easiest answer is usually the correct one.

Are there still 100,000 overstayers? I would have thought that that number had gone down since the last crackdown. Does that mean that the last major crackdown didn't actually work? 

Just askin'

Recall that thousands of Uyghurs were allowed to enter Thailand through the Cambodian border without passports by paying 10,000 THB as bribes to immigration officers.  They were trafficked through Thailand by ISIS where they picked up fake Turkish passports.  They would travel to Turkey where they were allowed to cross into Syria to fight for ISIS.  When some Uyghurs were caught in Thailand, and deported back to China, ISIS retaliated by bombing the Erawan Shrine.  Prawit is well-aware of the ISIS connection.

Edited by zaphod reborn

52 minutes ago, zaphod reborn said:

Recall that thousands of Uyghurs were allowed to enter Thailand through the Cambodian border without passports by paying 10,000 THB as bribes to immigration officers.  They were trafficked through Thailand by ISIS where they picked up fake Turkish passports.  They would travel to Turkey where they were allowed to cross into Syria to fight for ISIS.  When some Uyghurs were caught in Thailand, and deported back to China, ISIS retaliated by bombing the Erawan Shrine.  Prawit is well-aware of the ISIS connection.

I don't think ISIS was behind Erawan, otherwise they would have claimed it. They're never shy about claiming attacks even when they haven't actually had a hand in it.  All of their official claims are released via the Shumukh al-Islam site, which can be accessed via the Dark Web if you have a membership.

1 hour ago, nausea said:

Another critical story by The Nation; is this just them or is the other major English language newspaper (banned on this forum, I know) coming out with similar articles. Also, be interested to know if the public has access to Thai versions.

Yes, the BP is coming out with similar articles, pretty much on a daily basis now. The other day, they referenced a Nation article a couple of times and I wonder if they are working in concert with each other.

That said, BP sponsor events where the PM is keynote speaker. They are all  members of the elite Bankgkok hiso circuit, I suppose.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

If Prawit publicly says that Isis is in Thailand without giving details and proof, then his motive is to instill a measure of fear..., now why would he do that I (rhetorically) wonder?

2 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Are there still 100,000 overstayers? I would have thought that that number had gone down since the last crackdown. Does that mean that the last major crackdown didn't actually work? 

Just askin'

According to another report there are 200,000! In other words, they haven't got a clue!

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Foreign crime syndicates are operating in Pattaya and Phuket with little restraint – and in fact often with the cooperation of the local authorities. 

Rich guys in poor guys out.  Thailand use to be rather Laissez-faire before the coup.  Bad people and good people could seek refuge.  Today it looks mostly like bad people are given the red carpet treatment. 

2 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

I don't think ISIS was behind Erawan, otherwise they would have claimed it. They're never shy about claiming attacks even when they haven't actually had a hand in it.  All of their official claims are released via the Shumukh al-Islam site, which can be accessed via the Dark Web if you have a membership.

OK, you can believe the junta whitewash of the story.  I notice that you didn't refute any of the other claims.  1) ISIS was trafficking Uighurs through Thailand; 2) thousands of Uighurs were admitted into Thailand without passports by paying bribes to immigration officers stationed on the Cambodian border; 3) Uighurs were given fake Turkish passports while in Thailand; 4) the Uighurs were then able to travel to Turkey where they had the right to cross into Syria to fight for ISIS.  Given all of that, if you don't believe ISIS was behind the Erawan shrine bombing in retaliation for deporting Uighurs to China, just because ISIS didn't claim the attack, you are as foolish as the junta.  The bombing may have been ordered by operatives who profited from the trafficking, but it's still inextricably linked to ISIS. 

Claiming that significant numbers of ISIS are roaming freely among the general population is the preliminary for even greater repressive measures to be taken..........against the general population.

ISIS is just an excuse for an agenda unrelated to "extremist" activity.

Edited by Enoon

10 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

OK, you can believe the junta whitewash of the story.  I notice that you didn't refute any of the other claims.  1) ISIS was trafficking Uighurs through Thailand; 2) thousands of Uighurs were admitted into Thailand without passports by paying bribes to immigration officers stationed on the Cambodian border; 3) Uighurs were given fake Turkish passports while in Thailand; 4) the Uighurs were then able to travel to Turkey where they had the right to cross into Syria to fight for ISIS.  Given all of that, if you don't believe ISIS was behind the Erawan shrine bombing in retaliation for deporting Uighurs to China, just because ISIS didn't claim the attack, you are as foolish as the junta.  The bombing may have been ordered by operatives who profited from the trafficking, but it's still inextricably linked to ISIS. 

I would need evidence to back up that ISIS was involved in Erawan. My job for the last 10 years has been monitoring ISIS messaging and its previous incarnations, such as ISI and AQI (in addition to AQ and its various regional affiliates), as well as that of its supporters on the Dark Web for both public and private sector, and as a result I can not support that ISIS had a hand in Erawan. I'm not saying you're wrong, therefore I can not refute your claims outright, I'm just saying I don't necessarily see a link. And had I claimed that there was, I would have been sacked from my job. I don't get paid to speculate so I don't think I'm foolish for erring on the side of caution.