house rental deposit.

rutteketuut

4 hours ago, wump said:

Just imagine the op having a yard sale at his place two days before moving out and the landlord walking past :ph34r:

Ha ha, oh dear,  that would be just heaven for the landlord.

He phones he  Son / Daughter / Mate.

Quick go to house buy everything he sell real cheap. 4000. ok.

They buy it all, 

30 seconds latter cops and landlord arrive at the house.

You bad man you sell all my stuff, 

(Landlord adds 10,000 baht of stuff to list )

You pay 14,000 baht,  Mr Falang, you bad man,   rob me,  i good guy , you bad man. cop adds 6,000 fine  for theft 

cop gets his cut, Landlord put stuff back in room , 1 hour after your gone.

Win Win. your 16,000 in the hole , plus deposit !!!!!!!!!!!

Go back to thai school 101. :coffee1:

Please use this as a template,

adjust figures as situation dictates. :giggle:

Edited by stanleycoin

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Ernst Ruetimann said:

Thais  take  the  money  easy ;  but do part  very rarely .  Also  never  ever  lend  any  money  to a  Thai  ,  or  just  write  it  down  as  a  gift  !

All due respect.

But you may  need a little help from Thai school 101.

Never gift money in Thailand, say its a loan, 

( it's a loan you are righting off )

Now it's a bit harder for them to come back for more money any time in the future from you,   if they still owe you.  

( a reason will be found )  always good to have a good reason to say no more  :jap:

Edited by stanleycoin

For 3000 I wouldn't be bothered but I tell all my landlords no deposit returned no keys returned. If I don't get the deposit by the last day of the contract I take the value of the deposit in home merchandise. Tv's furniture whatever. 

52 minutes ago, Ernst Ruetimann said:

Thais  take  the  money  easy ;  but do part  very rarely .  Also  never  ever  lend  any  money  to a  Thai  ,  or  just  write  it  down  as  a  gift  !

Especially if you own a business. You not only won't get paid for whatever service or goods ypur business provided them but they never return so you loose a customer for life. My gf handles her own business but she knows if someone tries to stiff her on a worthwhile bill I'll come down and throw the offenders motorbike in my truck until payment is made. 

1 hour ago, csabo said:

For 3000 I wouldn't be bothered but I tell all my landlords no deposit returned no keys returned. If I don't get the deposit by the last day of the contract I take the value of the deposit in home merchandise. Tv's furniture whatever. 

With 3000 deposit you'd probably have to walk around with some crappy 22 inch CRT TV and one of them light fake leather sofas which weigh nothing and look horrible.

I was refused my 30000 deposit because we had a contract and I wanted to leave early. I had no hope. I told her I would not pay next months then (I gave them reasonable notice). That night a team of Thais turned up wanting to kick me out even though I had a week to go in anycase.I paid another month, stayed until I had what I wanted and then moved. In the interim the 6 month bill for cable turned up. Didn't pay. Water . Not pay. Electric. Not pay. Transferred wifi to new residence and left no forwarding address. We were going to do a clean. Didn't bother. The pump for water was shot (owner said I buy new which was a big straw on a small camels back ). I wrote off the 30000. Missus took all the crockery unbeknowns to me plus a few plants)

Owner would now have to

a. Replace pump (which she should have done in the first place)

b. Clean thoroughly.

C. Arrange reconnection of services

D. Pay money (fines) for non payment of bills (in her name) to get back water meter.

e. Arrange someone to water plants. If she had of been amicable about it all the Thai lady next door would have done. But her cranky old English husband is on my side and they will be left to die.

New tenant if she has found one 4 months later will have to arrange.

Internet and TV

Probably pay a deposit to get services reconnected (if she hasn't paid)

She won't get much change out the deposit as the real estate walla who started it all will want a cut. Every time something went wrong he turned up and demanded new fixtures be paid for (at 4 times the retail price) despite my repeated request to get a electrician/plumber tradesman to do the bloody right the first time. No I do I do. Wanted 30000 baht for 2 new water heaters. Paid a local electrician 300 baht for 2 fuses fitted inc parts labour and done in less than hour. Apparently she did the same thing to the 2 previous tenants. Same Real estate bloke. as well. The neighbours all know so she won't be getting any help from the locals.

For 3000 baht I would just forget it. I doubt it has aircon for that price.

I had a 45,000 deposit, and my landlord was very slowing in paying it back for a condo in BKK. Luckily I used a nice Thai lady as an agent, and she got it back for me.  This is the way to go if you have to leave because your visa expires.  No chance of getting it back if you are thousands of miles away.   

Do not take anything not yours. Do not cause any damage.

Do not bother paying electric, water or any other bill before you leave. Do not clean anything just leave the place in a mess. Do not leave a forwarding address. 

You will save in outlay about what the shitty Thai landlord wants to steal from you and given him the grief needed to clean up after you. Most Thai landlords like this so next time expect it and definitely get a written contract

21 hours ago, seancbk said:

I rented a place for 1 year but circumstances mean't I had to leave after only 6 months.

My landlord wouldn't return my deposit of 80,000 THB because the contract was for one year. 

I just put it down to experience.

Must have been a really nice place for that kind of deposit........I would have done so as well, circumstances change, and a contract is a contract.  Those who rent without one are incidents waiting to happen.

10 hours ago, ronrat said:

I was refused my 30000 deposit because we had a contract and I wanted to leave early. I had no hope. I told her I would not pay next months then (I gave them reasonable notice). That night a team of Thais turned up wanting to kick me out even though I had a week to go in anycase.I paid another month, stayed until I had what I wanted and then moved. In the interim the 6 month bill for cable turned up. Didn't pay. Water . Not pay. Electric. Not pay. Transferred wifi to new residence and left no forwarding address. We were going to do a clean. Didn't bother. The pump for water was shot (owner said I buy new which was a big straw on a small camels back ). I wrote off the 30000. Missus took all the crockery unbeknowns to me plus a few plants)

Owner would now have to

a. Replace pump (which she should have done in the first place)

b. Clean thoroughly.

C. Arrange reconnection of services

D. Pay money (fines) for non payment of bills (in her name) to get back water meter.

e. Arrange someone to water plants. If she had of been amicable about it all the Thai lady next door would have done. But her cranky old English husband is on my side and they will be left to die.

New tenant if she has found one 4 months later will have to arrange.

Internet and TV

Probably pay a deposit to get services reconnected (if she hasn't paid)

She won't get much change out the deposit as the real estate walla who started it all will want a cut. Every time something went wrong he turned up and demanded new fixtures be paid for (at 4 times the retail price) despite my repeated request to get a electrician/plumber tradesman to do the bloody right the first time. No I do I do. Wanted 30000 baht for 2 new water heaters. Paid a local electrician 300 baht for 2 fuses fitted inc parts labour and done in less than hour. Apparently she did the same thing to the 2 previous tenants. Same Real estate bloke. as well. The neighbours all know so she won't be getting any help from the locals.

For 3000 baht I would just forget it. I doubt it has aircon for that price.

I believe I read in others posts that it is illegal in Thailand to withhold rent for any reason, and the Deposit by contract cannot be used to pay 'rent'..........landlords please correct me if I am wrong.

4 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Must have been a really nice place for that kind of deposit........I would have done so as well, circumstances change, and a contract is a contract.  Those who rent without one are incidents waiting to happen.

It was an awesome place.  40K a month, 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, 150 sq/m   

Of course there are big differences between places that cost less than 10K a month and places that cost more.   I guess if you are renting somewhere for a few months (less than a year) and paying less than 10K, you might not think so much about a contract.   However for me I was planning to live there for maybe a few years (although I only signed for one), so no way would I have rented without a proper contract. 

I've been in my current place for almost 6 years now.   I signed a one year lease in Dec 2011 which has never been renewed, the rent hasn't changed and I've not seen or heard from my landlady for 5 years.   Even if I miss paying the rent for a couple of months she doesn't contact me (I sometimes wonder if she's still alive 55555!)  

1 minute ago, seancbk said:

It was an awesome place.  40K a month, 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, 150 sq/m   

Of course there are big differences between places that cost less than 10K a month and places that cost more.   I guess if you are renting somewhere for a few months (less than a year) and paying less than 10K, you might not think so much about a contract.   However for me I was planning to live there for maybe a few years (although I only signed for one), so no way would I have rented without a proper contract. 

I've been in my current place for almost 6 years now.   I signed a one year lease in Dec 2011 which has never been renewed, the rent hasn't changed and I've not seen or heard from my landlady for 5 years.   Even if I miss paying the rent for a couple of months she doesn't contact me (I sometimes wonder if she's still alive 55555!)  

What I found about Bangkok is location, location, location, as for absentee landlords, my Thai landlord on Lang Suan kept sending me Xmas Cards five years after I moved out   -  If the agency hadn't almost doubled the rent/Condo fees, I would still be living there, loved that Soi.  I moved down to Jom Tien Pattaya, bought a friends Condo to help him out, but my heart is in Bangkok.  My problem now is I only stay in Thailand six months and work overseas six months, so I found it impossible to get a nice place in BKK with a six month lease.  Was a motivating factor to buy this condo, cheap enough, about 3 1/2  years rent for my old place.  Peace

14 minutes ago, seancbk said:

I signed a one year lease in Dec 2011 which has never been renewed

You may find if you look closely at and are able to read the Thai version of the contract, it has an indefinite clause. Many do. The year may have been the minimum stay.

15 minutes ago, seancbk said:

the rent hasn't changed

Yes, it is weird. Mine unchanged for 7 years. Bargain! I did hear some barstool rumour that if there is no refurbishment the rent on a furnished apartment can't increase. I have no idea if this is legally true or just a cultural thing.

11 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

What I found about Bangkok is location, location, location, as for absentee landlords, my Thai landlord on Lang Suan kept sending me Xmas Cards five years after I moved out   -  If the agency hadn't almost doubled the rent/Condo fees, I would still be living there, loved that Soi.  I moved down to Jom Tien Pattaya, bought a friends Condo to help him out, but my heart is in Bangkok.  My problem now is I only stay in Thailand six months and work overseas six months, so I found it impossible to get a nice place in BKK with a six month lease.  Was a motivating factor to buy this condo, cheap enough, about 3 1/2  years rent for my old place.  Peace

Lang Suan is a nice area, pity about the rent increase.  I rented my place direct from the owner so no agent chasing for a fresh commission when the lease is up for renewal.

At least you own your place so can leave it and come back to all your own stuff.    I've considered buying but can't make the financials make sense at the moment.

23 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

You may find if you look closely at and are able to read the Thai version of the contract, it has an indefinite clause. Many do. The year may have been the minimum stay.

I just checked the lease and in the English version is clearly states "This Lease agreement is made for the period of ONE year commencing 16 Dec 2011 and expires on 15 Dec 2012"

I'm not complaining, like I said my landlady and I have had zero contact in the past 5 years (actually sightly longer probably), even when I've missed a rent payment I hear nothing.

On 11/15/2017 at 8:23 AM, simoh1490 said:

"A verbal contract is not worth the paper it is written on"!

You need to move on, nothing you do to get the 3k back again will cost you less than doing nothing.

Yes indeed:giggle:

unfortunately this was an exceptionally expensive lesson for the two McDonald's brothers who started the first hamburger restaurant and only had a verbal agreement to be paid 1% of the royalties by Ray Kroc but was eventually unable to be proved . That expensive mistake resulted in the loss of $100 million per annum:shock1:

This thread is NOT about the value of money. 

It's about returning a rental-deposit upon moving out. 

For the OP.....since there's no written contract it"ll always be your word against the landlords. 

Take care that you move out your personal stuff and belongings before the day you officially move and leave the last utility bills for him. 

On 11/15/2017 at 7:52 PM, csabo said:

Like you've ever done that.

7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Like you've ever done that.

Had 3 tv's loaded in my pickup when the landlord came running with my 30,000 baht deposit.  Fact.  When they have nothing to support their claim I have nothing to fear.

On 11/17/2017 at 2:22 PM, Wake Up said:

Take this advice and it may cost you your life instead of 3000 baht.  Please don’t. 

Cowards like you are the reason Thai landlords pull this scam.  Be a big boy and protect yourself.

Some funny replies, but I think OP is a jerk.

If the deposit was 3000 I assume the house rental was 3000 baht. Surely you didn't expect a monthly rate with that amount? When you rent the place long term rental is assumed, especially if you don't have any written agreement.....and since you don't say bye bye to yourThailand deposit.

Going to the police.....really?

Back on topic: as others have said, without a written contract, trying to get back a deposit, even ridiculously small ones, isn't going to end well... in ANY country.

Security deposits are that, security against property damage, THEFT and unpaid utilities.

Meanwhile, back on topic. From this and other threads on rental deposits, it looks like most tenants consider they have had a bad experience. Then we usually get the landlords responding, saying that most of their tenants try to pull flankers. I lost a deposit once because on hand-back day, we couldn't find the house keys (they had been packed and shipped already!) and in a 5 bed/4 bath house, that was a lot of keys. I wasn't there to debate the odds or spend a morning replacing all the door locks at a far cheaper price than the landlord took out of the deposit. Ultimately, it was still my fault so no point in debating the 'rip off' quotient. Bad tenant and bad landlord.

On the last rental where I was vacating a 5 AM, per the agreement with the landlord's agent, I turned off the water and electric, locked up and left the keys in the mailbox. After taking pictures of the water and electric meters and emailing them, with an estimate of what my usage would be to the agent, I left. Three weeks later, after the utility bills came in, the agent deposited the deposit in my account minus the utilities which worked out at less than my guesstimates. Good tenant and good (landlord's) agent.

Edited by Rimmer
baiting