house rental deposit.

rutteketuut

I rent a small house in Banglamung Nongplalai. Now I want to move out next month on the 5th. I told the landlord yesterday. I paid the landlord a deposit of 3000 bt and paid 2 times rent. He told me he will not give me back the 3000 deposit because I have to stay 6 months.There is no contract or verbal agreement about these 6 months, he only gave me a bill for the 3000 bt deposit. I want my deposit back, what should I do? My wife spoke with the local policeman but he said cannot help.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, rutteketuut said:

I paid the landlord a deposit of 3000 bt and paid 2 times rent. He told me he will not give me back the 3000 deposit because I have to stay 6 months.There is no contract or verbal agreement about these 6 months, he only gave me a bill for the 3000 bt deposit.

So when you moved in no one ever even mentioned a likely or possible duration for the rental? That seems unusual.

You guys paint a pretty bleak picture. I always got my deposit back in the past, even when breaking lease. Landlords who won't return the deposit are just d*ckheads and they are definitely not the majority.

In OP's case I think the landlord gave him the long-term rate and the deposit was his insurance against breaking lease. Pretty fair actually as signing up for a monthly lease would have probably cost OP 1000+ Baht more per month. 

I guess it comes down to some misunderstanding. If the landlord intentionally wanted to cheat sure he would have taken a larger deposit in the first place.

I rented a place for 1 year but circumstances mean't I had to leave after only 6 months.

My landlord wouldn't return my deposit of 80,000 THB because the contract was for one year. 

I just put it down to experience.

5 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

My experience is that the deposit is forfeit the instant you pay it. It is for damages so think jet ski, mocy rental

Yep. That is what I have heard though I cannot comment on my own experience because I've never paid a deposit.

I've had several 'landlords' in the past few years and each one had a contract that specified all moneys/forfeit  periods etc. so I agree with other posters here...let it go. Don't do anything foolish or rash, just leave. Make sure that you have a written contract next time, read it (or have it translated) so that you know where you stand.

Posters should read the OP before commenting .

It says that the landlord wants him to stay for 6 months and that he doesnt seem to want to .

Its quite reasonable for the landlord to keep the deposit , as tenancy contracts are usually done on a yearly basis

Every condo i rented i got the deposit back without problems. Except if there was damage (which I knew and was not faked).

Of course I always had a contact. Ignore your Thai friends or gf or wife who says: Not need contact. No one do that. Is normal.

if you accept advice on legal matters from a Thai expect to lose out.

Next time, contact. In Thai and English. If they don't offer go somewhere more professional or accept that you will be stiffed and don't complain.

10 hours ago, rutteketuut said:

I want my deposit back, what should I do?

Nothing – it's not worth doing anything in Thailand for 3,000 baht ($90), even it may relative be some level of money for you – some of us "loose" a lot more with a smile...:smile: