legalization of documents Brit Embassy will not stamp

does anyone know any companies or agencies that will stamp and verify documents such as references from previous employers or education certificates (not a degree as brit embassy think would do this)

this is becoming a right pain in my arse about going from transit to non B - the requirements from the MFA are non attainable by the British embassy.

who gets references legalized??

7 minutes ago, allane said:

Can you tell us who the intended recipient(s) of these documents are ? That may elicit better quality replies, from people who have been in the same position.

Immigration

He has had another topic running about it.

Immigration accepts "self-certification" for most documents. By countersigning at the bottom of the document, you are attesting that you believe the document to be genuine.  If they want something more than that, have them tell you exactly what they want.

1 minute ago, allane said:

If they want something more than that, have them tell you exactly what they want.

Unfortunately for the OP they have, they require them certifying by an embassy.

The OP's best solution to this is to go to a neighbouring embassy and get a SE non b visa and go from there, as the change of visa status here seems to be quite difficult in his case.

If you wanted your references and certificates to be recognised as legally acceptable documents in Thailand, you should have had them 'verified' by the Home Office in the UK, then legalised by the Thai Embassy.

A UK Notary could handle the whole thing for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

If you wanted your references and certificates to be recognised as legally acceptable documents in Thailand, you should have had them 'verified' by the Home Office in the UK, then legalised by the Thai Embassy.

A UK Notary could handle the whole thing for you.

A solicitor is qualified to do certifications in the UK. You would not necessarily require a Notary which in the UK (and internationally generally) means a Notary Public, which is a specific legal qualification and function

My experience with the British embassy is they will only certify that a document is a true copy of the document handed to them. Any law firm in Thailand will do the same at a lower cost. If you want the information in the document you provide verified it is likely to be rather expensive. 

• Like 1

It would be helpful if the OP could provide details of exactly what is being requested from immigration

Verification can mean either that he requires a letter from the institute providing a certificate to confirm that e.g. that person attended that institution and obtained whatever qualification was provided or it can mean that copies have to be certified (in which case, that could be done within Thailand)

so if you are converting from transit to non B whilst in Thailand this is actually a requirement apparently, I'm told a letter from my uni and former employer would be enough and printed copy also will be fine but who knows, I really don't think even the people who work in the place where they make the rules know the actual answers.

I spoke to the department yesterday and explained the British embassy do not just stamp stuff willy nilly, the answer I got was "yes just get it stamped". 

on the same day I paid a police officer 200baht for driving without my license on me, I'm just guna take some cash to immigration, see if that works.

6 hours ago, Seanbhoy said:

cheers Tanoshi, I'm just putting the final components together for my time machine together as soon as its done il whizz back to 6 months ago and do that.

anyone want any lotto results whilst I'm there? 

No thanks, but I will have some for December though

Good luck with the problem

Edited by oldlakey

8 hours ago, Mattd said:

Unfortunately for the OP they have, they require them certifying by an embassy.

The OP's best solution to this is to go to a neighbouring embassy and get a SE non b visa and go from there, as the change of visa status here seems to be quite difficult in his case.

Try the German embassy they are usually very helpful and a lot cheaper than the British embassy, I use them for just about everything. Don't mention the British embassy refused,just say they are too expensive.

Edited by soalbundy

4 hours ago, roath said:

A solicitor is qualified to do certifications in the UK. You would not necessarily require a Notary which in the UK (and internationally generally) means a Notary Public, which is a specific legal qualification and function

If the OP needs the documents to be authenticated as genuine, such as the company or organisation issuing them exists and the person signing such is authorised to do so then they will need to be 'notarised' and 'legalised' to be acceptable in Thailand.

4 hours ago, Seanbhoy said:

section 12 of the rules it says provide evidence of certificates/education/work references from former employees in English and have them legalized.

Section 12  of which rule?

Link please.

They could mean they just want certified copies of your documents.

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The UK embassy will not allow him to do that.

One of the reason the UK embassy cannot legalise the document could be :

1/ they do not have a copy of the signature on that document ...because they only legalise signatures and not the content of the document itself

2/ it could the UK Embassy has no means to check if the document is authentic and not a fraud. Normally in this case OP could ask the Embassy that if he certifies (with his signature) the authenticity of the document ..they may as a next step legalise his signature.

19 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

It only requests 'certified' copies of the original documents.

I can assure you that they want the original documents certified (aka legalized) not the copies of them that is presented. Others have been through it and that is what was wanted.

Tanoshi - language is English.

point 12 of what ubonjoe posted.

Agent seems to think a letter from my previous employer saying I worked from and too in this position on company paper will be suffice & a letter from a previous teacher/Profesor saying I attended this course from x to z is also sufficient, he also said a scanned letter then printed is ok, bearing in mind this guy is a complete idiot that doesn’t know his arse from his elbow and has never even been in the British embassy let alone know what they will stamp and not stamp.

have the appointment booked on 22nd, so we will see.

why would the German embassy stamp letters or references that has nothing to do with Germany? Proper confused me.

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_72

Applying for a non immigrant visa visa based upon working.

I just read that list. It's incredible. Immigration are asking for things they don't ask for when you apply for a 1 year extension of stay based upon working.

It's definately easier (but more expensive) to visit a nearby embassy/consulate for the visa.

Then again, if British Embassy fees become part of this then it could get expensive to stay in Thailand and convert his current entry.

Edited by blackcab

22 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

If the OP needs the documents to be authenticated as genuine, such as the company or organisation issuing them exists and the person signing such is authorised to do so then they will need to be 'notarised' and 'legalised' to be acceptable in Thailand.

I don't understand your point with reference to my clarification

Notarisation in Thailand basically means certification which can be done by a Thai lawyer in Thailand or by the Embassy. The poster to whom I was responding was not aware of the (significant) legal difference in the UK (and other jurisdictions) with regard to the specific legal terminology being used. I suspect that you do not either respectfully.

Furthermore, Legalisation and Notarisation are by no means the same thing. You may need one or the other or both depending on what is required. In Thailand, notarisation means to get a document certified (usually by a lawyer) which is not particularly difficult or expensive to do. However, that is NOT what it means in the UK as a Solicitor in the UK cannot Notarise a document, but can only certify it. Neither Thai Lawyers nor UK Solicitors are Notary Publics unless they have dual-qualified.  

https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised

https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=fee0ad76-1372-46ca-b369-92cd5e4184f8

With respect, I was involved in getting UK documents certified and legalised to be legally accepted documents in a number of Countries

14 hours ago, roath said:

Notarisation in Thailand basically means certification which can be done by a Thai lawyer in Thailand or by the Embassy. The poster to whom I was responding was not aware of the (significant) legal difference in the UK (and other jurisdictions) with regard to the specific legal terminology being used. I suspect that you do not either respectfully

A Thai lawyer cannot certify a UK document, neither are the British Embassy prepared to certify his UK documents.

Have you actually read the requirements in 12.

12. A copy of the evidence of education and certificate of employment issued by the foreigner’s former employer (must be translated into Thai or English and certified by local or overseas Embassy or Consulate of the foreigner and by the Legalization Division, Ministry of  Foreign Affairs of Thailand)

If indeed Immigration want the original documents 'legalising' then the process is as I previously posted.