Riding in Thailand - any precautions?

Barnabe

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mate, I have had a bike licence for 50 years but would not ride one for the first 5 years when on holidays. You cannot expect any respect from car drivers who actually think you are a nuisance on the road. I ride bikes here now but have learnt most of the dangers of Thai drivers and idiot farangs who should not be on bikes. It is still dangerous.

Correct Driving License and a check of what your travel insurance covers is the first must – some travel insurances don't cover motorbike accidents – the mandatory Thai motorbike insurance, which many cheap rentals comes only with, is worth next-to-noting.

I you stay 3 month or longer in the Kingdom, you'll need a Thai DL, not having one may complicate insurance claims in case of accident.

Thailand is the most fatal country in the World when it comes to motorbike traffic accidents. I would avoid driving the long trips and instead take a train or bus, and then rent a motorbike in the local area to surf around. If you rent a motorbike in BKK and drive long distance, make sure you're allowed to take the motorbike out of the area; again in case of accident and claims.

Wish you good luck...:smile:

8 hours ago, Barnabe said:

Thanks for all the tips guys.

Does the police actively check it? I'm taking my motorcycle licence back home but due to the back and forth it will take a few months.

Any bad stories dealing with the police otherwise?

I got stopped at every checkpoint.. it was guaranteed.. I do have a full motorcycle license and one checkpoint I had to find the page in my international license where it said motorcycles... was starting to piss me off.. this was over a large area of North Eastern Thailand...

37 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Correct Driving License and a check of what your travel insurance covers is the first must – some travel insurances don't cover motorbike accidents – the mandatory Thai motorbike insurance, which many cheap rentals comes only with, is worth next-to-noting.

100% in agreement.

My Thai wife who is also a British citizen has a full Thai motorcycle license and insurance.  The Thai insurance is next to worthless if you have a serious accident.  I only ride pillion and can't ever see that changing.

We only come to LOS twice a year and are both covered by comprehensive UK travel insurance which covers the driving and pillion aspects of motorbikes.  The policy restrictions are obviously pretty strict, i.e. the driver having a full license and the wearing of skid lids.  I just wouldn't get on a motorbike here without the coverage our travel insurance provides.  

The majority of cheap UK travel insurance policies do not cover motorbikes in any shape or form, hence why I purchase a decent policy and we wear skid lids at all times.

We never go out on the main roads and just use the bike for getting about town, which is dangerous enough in itself.

Before you get on a bike in LOS just make sure everything is bolted down on the insurance side, i.e. coverage for unlimited medical bills and repatriation if you are fortunate enough to survive, or even not survive, an accident in LOS.  Just too many stories of people with insurance that are involved in serious accidents but aren't covered by their travel insurance and even more stories of people without insurance, then run off to the press to complain, that's if they're still alive.  

Personally, I've got no sympathy for people that aren't covered.  I might feel sorry for them, but definitely no sympathy.

Edited by Here It Is

Does the police actively check it? I'm taking my motorcycle licence back home but due to the back and forth it will take a few months.

In Chiang Mai expect police road checks and they want the helmet on, ask to see that you have a proper license. With the number of Chinese tourists coming in, there is increased enforcement. See if you can get an International Driver's License issued by the auto club (sorry, I'm a Yank, we have the American Automobile Assn). That will need to have the motorcycle license stamp. If your British license is good for a car, as well as, a motorbike you should not have a problem getting the stamp.

Don't get on a bike until you've sorted everything out.  Trust me on this.

As I said in my previous post, get everything bolted down.

My wife and I have been stopped at checkpoints many a time and never had a problem as we abide by the law.  The more serious issue is being involved in an accident.  If your documents aren't in order then you have serious insurance issues. 

Don't be a jerk and you'll be fine.  Up to you.

Edited by Here It Is

The road distance from Bangkok to Hua Hin would be a simple, short trip on UK or US roads - but it's a more serious trip in Thailand.  Others have mentioned the safety risks from other road users, and there's also the poor condition of the road, dust and sand from road works and then there's the heat - especially if you are wearing a bike jacket and full face helmet.  If you arrive in Hua Hin unscathed, you'll need a day to recover.

To do this sort of trip uninsured, with limited riding experience and using a poorly maintained (they all are) rental bike is seriously unwise.  If want to travel like a local, and with a bit of adventure, take the train.  It takes time, but so will a scooter with the need for regular 7-11 stops and the odd trip (uninsured) to a hospital to treat your gravel rash, and they sell food on the train and the views are better.  The roadside views on the way to Hua Hin are not good, and on a bike you can't afford to take in the scenery anyway, the views are much better from the train, you mix with the locals, try local food and you're more likely to arrive alive (barring the odd derailment):smile:.

I've done Hua Hin and Rayong trips by bike, and they are not fun, I've also done Kanchanaburi and Ayuthaya by train, and thought is was great fun.

2 hours ago, Barnabe said:

Well that went downhill quickly.

I'm going to follow all recommendations here to the letter. As for insurance, I have up to 150cc travel insurance from the UK, and since I'm going to rent from a dealer, they also offer comprehensive insurance. I'll make sure to read the fine print... And I'm going to Panda Rider and kit myself out for the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I doubt a dealer can offer more then next-to-nothing compusory insurance.

In case of accident they request the proper motorcycle driving license before thinking about any payment.

Your travel insurance will only cover your own damage.

Try not to ride at night if possible, many vehicles which pull over to the shoulders like to rummage around and find big rocks to chock their wheels with, then they often drive away and just leave them there...pretty good sized hazards for a motorbike, you can see them in the daytime but not so easy at night.

Always keep an eye out to the rear, especially if you are using the "car lanes". I have left the shoulder or 'bike lane" to pass slower bikes and had cars and trucks come up from behind at a high rate of speed nearly striking me. As far as many of them are concerned you belong on the shoulder if you are riding a motorbike...no matter how fast you are going.

Always keep your distance from big trucks, especially the dirt, sand and rock trucks. There may be laws in Western countries which prevent loading the trucks up over the top of the side boards but there don't seem to be any here, I am constantly getting peppered by sand, rock and dirt if I get too close to those trucks.

If you come here often, probably buy a second hand bike. Maybe Honda PCX 150. Because you can't rent decent bikes everywhere.
With your own bike, either take minor roads to your destination or put the bike on the train.
Avoid riding on the highway. Boring and dangerous.
Invest in a decent helmet, jacket and eventually pants. They will also protect you from the sunshine. The heat factor from the gear is tolerable when you are driving.
Good luck and enjoy!

Many rental bikes are clapped-out deathtraps. Check the brakes and tyres carefully before paying any money.

A falang without a Thai motorcycle licence is like an ATM to the police at checkpoints. An IDP may not cut the mustard, because they may not be able to read it. A UK licence won't be accepted.

Always have eye protection along with the helmet. Rental helmets either don't have visors, or visors are so badly scratched they are useless.

I only rent bikes where I am going. Long rides on highways on a bike require 100% concentration. Better to rent at the destination. Bear in mind if the bike breaks down 100 km from the rental shop, it could spoil your whole holiday just getting it sorted out.

Only ride during the day. Your chances are better because the young bucks haven't yet loaded up on lao khao or yaa baa.

23 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

Many rental bikes are clapped-out deathtraps. Check the brakes and tyres carefully before paying any money.

A falang without a Thai motorcycle licence is like an ATM to the police at checkpoints. An IDP may not cut the mustard, because they may not be able to read it. A UK licence won't be accepted.

Always have eye protection along with the helmet. Rental helmets either don't have visors, or visors are so badly scratched they are useless.

I only rent bikes where I am going. Long rides on highways on a bike require 100% concentration. Better to rent at the destination. Bear in mind if the bike breaks down 100 km from the rental shop, it could spoil your whole holiday just getting it sorted out.

Only ride during the day. Your chances are better because the young bucks haven't yet loaded up on lao khao or yaa baa.

An IDP will always be accepted, and a UK licence, most times.

Sweeping statement.

It is the cars/trucks that will hit you, not other bikes.

Essentially, you don't have a clue what you are on about.

13 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Even a long sleeved shirt and jeans helps.

Easier to slide on cloth than skin.

Wrong, they would be worse as it’s harder for surgeons to get material out of wounds. I would be going for the Kevlar lined pants, like Draggins and leather jacket and gloves if you intend on going over 30kph.

and of course ride like everyone else wants to kill you.

1 hour ago, pearciderman said:

An IDP will always be accepted, and a UK licence, most times.

Sweeping statement.

It is the cars/trucks that will hit you, not other bikes.

Essentially, you don't have a clue what you are on about.

Agreed with the IDP statement, however it’s not a license it a translation of your license and you need to carry it and your home country’s drivers license. 

Also breaking down wouldn’t be a huge problem call the bike shop and even then in the back of a pick up it would cost what, 2000 baht to take it 100km, at the most.

Edited by cat handler

4 hours ago, Kinnock said:

The road distance from Bangkok to Hua Hin would be a simple, short trip on UK or US roads - but it's a more serious trip in Thailand.  Others have mentioned the safety risks from other road users, and there's also the poor condition of the road, dust and sand from road works and then there's the heat - especially if you are wearing a bike jacket and full face helmet.  If you arrive in Hua Hin unscathed, you'll need a day to recover.

To do this sort of trip uninsured, with limited riding experience and using a poorly maintained (they all are) rental bike is seriously unwise.  If want to travel like a local, and with a bit of adventure, take the train.  It takes time, but so will a scooter with the need for regular 7-11 stops and the odd trip (uninsured) to a hospital to treat your gravel rash, and they sell food on the train and the views are better.  The roadside views on the way to Hua Hin are not good, and on a bike you can't afford to take in the scenery anyway, the views are much better from the train, you mix with the locals, try local food and you're more likely to arrive alive (barring the odd derailment):smile:.

I've done Hua Hin and Rayong trips by bike, and they are not fun, I've also done Kanchanaburi and Ayuthaya by train, and thought is was great fun.

If you arrive in Hua Hin unscathed, you'll need a day to recover.

Bkk to Hua Hin is a few hours, why on earth would you say it would take a day to recover?

He is asking for real advice about riding bikes, not train rides. If you have issues with small trips it's ok, but to give this advice is just plain wrong.

I’ve generally found the police to be pleasant the more remote you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

With 150cc to issan, 

On 11/15/2017 at 7:09 PM, Barnabe said:

I mostly stay in BKK so I'm thinking to start renting a motorbike on the weekends and go to Hua Hin or maybe some more extended trips to the south, Isaan, etc.

With a 150cc bike ? 

You must be a brave man❗️⚠️

Edited by Foozool

12 hours ago, chrissables said:

If you arrive in Hua Hin unscathed, you'll need a day to recover.

Bkk to Hua Hin is a few hours, why on earth would you say it would take a day to recover?

He is asking for real advice about riding bikes, not train rides. If you have issues with small trips it's ok, but to give this advice is just plain wrong.

Yes - we get your point after you've said it twice ...... but people who've actually ridden from Bangkok to Hua Hin on a scooter will know it's not an easy ride.  What the OP is planning is unwise - limited experience and no valid insurance means there are better options in my view, and it will be his friends and relatives who will need to help him when things go wrong.

5 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Yes - we get your point after you've said it twice ...... but people who've actually ridden from Bangkok to Hua Hin on a scooter will know it's not an easy ride.  What the OP is planning is unwise - limited experience and no valid insurance means there are better options in my view, and it will be his friends and relatives who will need to help him when things go wrong.

I on my 150 cc have ridden far greater distances, in fact Pattaya to Phongsaly up near the Chinese border in North Laos, as an example.

It's a boring ride bkk to Hua Hin, but easy. I honestly don't understand why you think it would take a day to recover.

20 hours ago, jchfriis said:

Four rules:

- Everybody else are blind.

- They are deaf,

- They are probably drunk.

- They are all out to kill you.

Remember this and you may survive,

Great list !!!....Also be prepared to take your last breath when you least expect it when a truck turns out in front of you because of the we are big and you are small thinking.....