Three students killed, 48 people injured in school bus crash

webfact

Three students killed, 48 people injured in school bus crash

By The Nation

52fcc6e1f3de3ef90a479c486b3eae4c-sld.jpg

Three students were killed and 48 students, teachers and parents were injured when a school bus crashed in Nakhon Ratchasima's Dan Khun Thod district Wednesday evening.

Police said the accident happened at 4 pm on the Sikhiew-Chaiyaphum road at the Ban Kud Muang intersection in Tambon Takhien of Dan Khun Thod district.

The bus took 51 students, teachers and parents from Ban Nong Waeng School in Chaiyaphum's Phu Kiew district on a field trip to Dan Khun Thod. The accident happened while the bus was returning to Chaiyaphum.

The three students, who died at the scene, were in the junior secondary school level.

The injured, who are mostly primary and junior secondary school students, were rushed to the district hospital.

The survivors told police that a pickup truck cut into the front of the bus, causing the bus to crash into the pickup. The bus then overturned and fell into the roadside.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30331711

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-16

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 killed in bus-truck collision

By Thai PBS

hook4.jpg

Three people, including one girl, were killed and about 50 others, most of them are students, were injured when a bus in which they were travelling on a sightseeing trip collided with a pickup truck and skidded out of the road in Dan Khun Thod district of Nakhon Ratchasima on Wednesday (Nov 15).

Police and rescue workers were rushed to the scene on Sikhiu-Chaiyaphum road in Tambon Takien after they were alerted of the accident at about 4pm.  They found the blue bus flipped on one side lying on the roadside with its front badly damaged and several student stuck inside unable to move out.

Dan Khun Tod police said three people were killed in the accident, including the bus driver, a woman, and a girl student aged about 9 years old.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/3-killed-bus-truck-collision/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-11-16

Tragic for the families involved.

Thailand, you have been told you are top of the list for carnage, and fatalities on the roads. How many more of these horrendous incidents do we need to read about, near enough on a daily basis, for you to do something about it ?

R.I.P. to the deceased, as best wishes for a speedy recovery for all the injured. 

" The survivors told police that the driver of a pickup truck cut into the front of the bus, causing the untrained bus driver to crash into the pickup. The bus then overturned and fell into the roadside."

there I fixed that sentence.

RIP victims of the do nothing police and government.

Edited by NCC1701A

It is because the dead of yesterday are so quickly forgotten and

relegated to history and the mai pen rai department that such

tragedies will continue to occur on a daily bases,

millions of words have been poured over such issues day in

and day out and the dead continue to fall as a sacrificial lamb

to the gods of Thailand's roads and traffic......  

The video in the link does not clearly show the reason for the accident but you can see the bus swerving, cross the divider into and across the oncoming lanes and go into the ditch.  Lucky it didn’t hit traffic coming the other way.

There isn’t any obvious traffic impeding the bus on its side of the road, although I thought I could possibly make out a vehicle attempting a u-turn upper middle-right, which may have edged out into the oncoming lane, causing the bus to swerve. 

Whether a factor in this case or not, these types of u-turns on major highways are extremely dangerous to both lanes of traffic with turners cutting across high-speed roads and also the occasional turning queues backing up into the fast lane on their own side. They should be phased out. They may have been ok 20-30 years ago with less and slower traffic but are no longer fit for purpose. 

Bus drivers, song teow drivers, truck drivers all got their driving licences in a Cracker Jack box IMHO. These guys sit behind the wheel of killing machines, yet make it a point to try to drive faster than a speeding car. Who knows maybe the pick up truck driver is at fault, but generally it is not the case.

Sad way and age to die for the woman and student to die.

1 hour ago, realfunster said:

There isn’t any obvious traffic impeding the bus on its side of the road, although I thought I could possibly make out a vehicle attempting a u-turn upper middle-right, which may have edged out into the oncoming lane, causing the bus to swerve. 

its a bit grainy but as you posted, a vehicle is doing a u turn and the bus starts  to swerve at some speed across the road, missing electric posts, strange how before it comes to a stop, emergency service vehicle arrive. maybe video editing.

22 minutes ago, Black arab said:

The village where these children come from is about 10km from us my mrs is pretty upset, said she will never let our daughter travel on one of these school bus trips i totally agree.Very sad.

My Thai son also, if there's a school trip he, or his wife, take their kid(s) in the family car and keep a good distance from the bus.

Plus my son and his wife refuse to allow their kids to sleep over at the school or anywhere. They pick them up at the designated 'lights out' time and bring them back early the next morning at an appropriate time.

A few months back they did this where the 'outing' was at an old huge run down resort. Son made a booking at a better hotel about 500metres away. When they had a good look at the run down resort they discovered there was no security staff whatever on duty, electric wires hanging everywhere, power points hanging off the walls, dirty bathrooms, which just reinforced their policy to not allow their kids to be with the school teachers etc., overnight. 

Also, I seem to recall that double decker buses were banned. Anybody recall the same?

RIP to the kids and quick recovery to those injured.

Edited by scorecard

Statistically buses are many times safer than cars.

however the construction of these buses leaves a lot to be desired - once in a crash scenario they don't perform well.

there have been "clampdowns" and a call for universal tilt testing, but I doubt if this was strenuously followed up.

when it comes to a school trip what choice do the parents have - they either have to provide their own transport (statistically less safe) or insist of a safe bus - which simply won't be available in Thailand.

s for blaming a driver without a proper inquiry - which BTW won;'t happen - well that says more about the complainant than any drivers.

I once mentioned to my wife how I see quite a few female truck drivers and she said it's the girlfrends of the drivers they let them learn to drive when they are near to the yard.

Has anyone seen the driving test here it's ridiculous so long as you can stop in a huge square and go backwards and forwards your good to go.

Edited by kwak250
Unfinished

I once mentioned to my wife how I see quite a few female truck drivers and she said it's the girlfrends of the drivers they let them learn to drive when they are near to the yard.

Has anyone seen the driving test here it's ridiculous so long as you can stop in a huge square and go backwards and forwards your good to go.

I’ve seen/know people pay others to do the test for them!!!

Makes me wonder if surgeons do the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, IamNoone88 said:

I did not see anything cut in front of the bus? I saw a bus traveling at top speed - much faster than other road traffic in the video. Yet more speed lunacy with tragic consequences.

I see that too and the bus was on the fast lane !!!!!! Comes down to a speeding bus and losing control because of the speed. You can control the bus better in times of mishap when you at moderate speed. Speed kills all the time. 

Many years ago while living in USA there was a slogan repeated frequently ... 'speed kills'. It probably took 50 times for it to really sink in. The next 50 times were enough for me to think of that statement every time I speed up. To reduce accidents it takes many, many incremental ideas that must be implemented to reduce deaths on the highway.

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Tragic for the families involved.

Thailand, you have been told you are top of the list for carnage, and fatalities on the roads. How many more of these horrendous incidents do we need to read about, near enough on a daily basis, for you to do something about it ?

R.I.P. to the deceased, as best wishes for a speedy recovery for all the injured. 

R.I.P.  Stop counting the number of accidents just give us a year end report about dead and injured.

Then there will be  more time to write about something else. 

No chance the driver fell asleep, if he had of done the bus wouldn't have made the gap in the road and then travelled straight into the side of the road. He was going way to fast and only had time to steer one to avoid something he could easy have voided if he was traveling at a normal speed. 

Also why is he in the outside lane. Buses and lorries should be banded from that lane and should have speed restrictors fitted.

Just another idiot who doesn't have a clue how to drive what he is in charge of. 

And sadly he survived. No doubt be driving another bus full of kids this time next week. 

More carnage which will be followed by more empty promises!

The only way there is going to be any change is if the "government" is shamed into taking action by others, meaning given bad publicity in other countries press, yet as usual foreign papers report nothing!

My condolences and sympathy to the families. As realfunster mentioned something does move swiftly across the road. At about 16-18 secs it looks like a motorbike turning right which speeds across the road although the bus seems to be out of danger at that point.

How long will the carnage continue while government does nothing to intervene. How long before things like:

Driver Education beginning at the middle school level,

Stricter regulations in order to get all commercial licenses

And most of all a Highway Patrol that enforces the rules

Say what you may about some or our issues here but when you see the Highway Patrol you'd better slow down or you Will lose your license and go to prison if you are a repeat offender.

This is another sad example of the dire need to rebuild the roads to accommodate the type of vehicles in use today. You cannot continue to drive cars that reach speeds in excess of 100 km in a matter of seconds when the roads were designed for vehicles that might reach 60 km sooner or later.