Sixth woman accuses U.S. Senate candidate Moore of sexual misconduct

webfact

Sixth woman accuses U.S. Senate candidate Moore of sexual misconduct

By John Whitesides

tag_reuters.jpg

Roy Moore speaks at a summit in Washington, DC, U.S. October 13, 2017. REUTERS/James Lawler Duggan

(Reuters) - A sixth woman came forward on Wednesday with allegations of sexual misconduct against embattled Republican U.S. Senate candidate Roy Moore, accusing him of groping her while she was in his Alabama law office on legal business in 1991, when he was married.

Unlike the earlier cases that involved teenagers, Tina Johnson was an adult when she visited Moore's office with her mother, who had hired Moore in a custody case involving Johnson's 12-year-old son.

Johnson told AL.com, an Alabama news website, that Moore grabbed her buttocks as she left.

"He didn't pinch it, he grabbed it," Johnson, who was 28 at the time, told AL.com. Reuters was unable to independently verify the allegation, and Moore's campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Five other women have accused Moore of sexual misconduct or of dating them when he was in his 30s and they were teenagers, prompting a wave of demands from national Republican Party leaders that he drop out of the Dec. 12 special Senate election to fill the seat vacated by Jeff Sessions when he was named U.S. attorney general last spring.

Moore, 70, on Wednesday denied the allegations of the first five women to step forward.

"We are in the process of investigating these false allegations to determine their origin and motivation," he said in a statement.

Moore also said he believed a message that one of the accusers, Beverly Young Nelson, said he had written in her high school yearbook had been tampered with. Nelson accused Moore of sexually assaulting her when she was 16 and he was in his 30s.

Nelson displayed the yearbook message at a news conference in New York where she made the allegations on Monday. Moore's campaign on Wednesday demanded that Nelson turn over the yearbook to a neutral custodian so a handwriting expert could examine it.

Republican leaders in Washington have asked Moore to withdraw from the race and said they are exploring write-in options for the election. The Alabama state party's leadership was meeting on Wednesday night to discuss their stance.

U.S. Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell has spoken to President Donald Trump and others about the situation. Trump appeared at the White House on Wednesday but did not make any mention of Moore.

Under state law, Moore cannot be removed from the ballot. If, however, the state party tells election officials that it wants to withdraw its nominee, or if Moore himself decided to do so, election officials would not certify any votes cast for Moore.

Before the allegations surfaced, Moore, a Christian conservative and former Alabama Supreme Court chief justice, had been heavily favoured to defeat Democrat Doug Jones, a former U.S. attorney. But a new poll on Wednesday, released by the Senate Republicans' campaign arm, had Jones surging to a 12-point lead since the allegations surfaced.

A Democratic win in Alabama would be a blow to Trump's agenda and shift the political outlook for next year's congressional elections, giving Democrats a stronger shot at wiping out the Republicans' 52-48 Senate majority.

Moore has suggested that McConnell and other establishment Republicans are working in tandem with news media to discredit him.

The Washington Post had first disclosed allegations by four women about their relationships with Moore when they were teenagers, ranging in age from 14 to 18. One of the women said he initiated sexual contact with her when she was 14 and Moore was in his 30s.

(Additional reporting by Mohammad Zargham and Eric Beech; Editing by Leslie Adler)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-11-16

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When there are six different women accusing someone of sexual harassment, you should damn well listen!!!

The time has come for the Republican party to choose if it is a party that respects women or not. It is bad enough that the "pussy-grabber" was elected leader of the party, but this goes even a step further; a fourteen year-old girl is a GIRL!!!

I used to have respect for the Republican party, even though I didn't always agree with it. 

Now, what the hell does it stand for if molesting a fourteen year-old girl is okay.

Enough!

Is this going to be the way elections are won or lost from now on? You do not need to prove anything in the short time before the poll. The mere accusation has been enough to change a 9 point lead to being 12 points behind.

I have no idea if this is true or not and therefore make no judgement.

22 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

Is this going to be the way elections are won or lost from now on? You do not need to prove anything in the short time before the poll. The mere accusation has been enough to change a 9 point lead to being 12 points behind.

Like this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizzagate_conspiracy_theory

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

When there are six different women accusing someone of sexual harassment, you should damn well listen!!!

The time has come for the Republican party to choose if it is a party that respects women or not. It is bad enough that the "pussy-grabber" was elected leader of the party, but this goes even a step further; a fourteen year-old girl is a GIRL!!!

I used to have respect for the Republican party, even though I didn't always agree with it. 

Now, what the hell does it stand for if molesting a fourteen year-old girl is okay.

Enough!

So it's all a Republican party problem, NEVER is when a Democrat is accused.  Amazing the view from the other side of the fence

2 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

A monumental witch hunt initiated by the Democrats. 

A monumental apologist with you head deep in the sand. If it was a Dem being accused (Obama for example) I very much doubt you would consider it a witch hunt. Your hypocrisy is annoying and truly disgusting. 

I don't even know this guy and I know even less about American politics but has anyone else noticed that there seems to be a bandwagon running around the states these days and all of the women are suddenly realizing that there may be some good publicity in it.

Classic.  Moore uses the name of a movie to taunt McConnell.

[Judge Roy Moore‏ @MooreSenate

Dear Mitch McConnell, Bring. It. On.

5:52 PM - 15 Nov 2017]

The film's actual director replies:

[Peyton Reed‏Verified account @MrPeytonReed

Dear @MooreSenate, You’re not allowed to use the name of my cheerleader movie, you <deleted> pedophile.]

https://www.yahoo.com/news/roy-moore-uses-title-teen-045647530.html

When it rains, it Moores.

This dude is toast.

If he stays in and wins, he won't be seated in the senate.

Good riddance too.

That extremist right wing "religious nut" thinks it's OK to kill gay people for being gay (based on the bible) and doesn't think Muslims should be allowed to serve in congress.

He should have been soundly rejected for that even before all the revelations of underage molesting. 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Republican leaders in Washington have asked Moore to withdraw from the race

After whistling past sculduggery, sexual harassment, racism, nazism,  treason, financial malfeasance, tax evasion, nepotism, kicking gold star families when they’re down, the GOP are finally drawing the line at paedophelia.

I guess that’s something. The courage it must have required to stand up against Child molestation.

3 hours ago, DoctorG said:

Sadly yes. It seems playing these games or releasing dirt on the opposition, timed to perfection, is looking like becoming a feature of future campaigns.

These accusations go way back. Why are they now being suddenly made?  I have no idea whether he's guilty or innocent; whether the women are genuine or simply smell the chance of a pay off; or even being paid to complain. But, the onus seems to be on the accused to prove his innocence with a media section presumption of guilt. By which time the accused has lost the election.

And if he sued for defamation, and won, watch the opposition politicians and media "disappear".

Becoming a Mickey Mouse world where justice no longer reflects the law but media and social media "opinion" based on the writers' own agendas.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

This dude is toast.

Good riddance too.

That extremist right wing "religious nut" thinks it's OK to kill gay people for being gay (based on the bible) and doesn't think Muslims should be allowed to serve in congress.

He should have been soundly rejected for that even before all the revelations of underage molesting. 

Does he really state that he's in favor of murdering homosexuals because, well just because they are? And think that following a certain religion is grounds for exclusion from public office?

If so then he should be being helped with appropriate mental health treatment. And certainly not be in the running for high political office. A sandwich short of a picnic to put it mildly.

5 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Does he really state that he's in favor of murdering homosexuals because, well just because they are? And think that following a certain religion is grounds for exclusion from public office?

If so then he should be being helped with appropriate mental health treatment. And certainly not be in the running for high political office. A sandwich short of a picnic to put it mildly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Moore#LGBT_rights

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Moore#Opposition_to_Islam

14 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Sadly yes. It seems playing these games or releasing dirt on the opposition, timed to perfection, is looking like becoming a feature of future campaigns.

These accusations go way back. Why are they now being suddenly made?  I have no idea whether he's guilty or innocent; whether the women are genuine or simply smell the chance of a pay off; or even being paid to complain. But, the onus seems to be on the accused to prove his innocence with a media section presumption of guilt. By which time the accused has lost the election.

And if he sued for defamation, and won, watch the opposition politicians and media "disappear".

Becoming a Mickey Mouse world where justice no longer reflects the law but media and social media "opinion" based on the writers' own agendas.

Happy  to see there are people with eyes to see still left in this world.

On 11/16/2017 at 8:15 AM, webfact said:

Johnson told AL.com, an Alabama news website, that Moore grabbed her buttocks as she left.

"He didn't pinch it, he grabbed it," Johnson, who was 28 at the time

In his defense, Roy Moore said, “but she looked much younger.”

On 11/16/2017 at 5:40 AM, Baerboxer said:

This defence was also made by Moore and is a red herring .

The answer is obvious. 

Moore is  a powerful well connected politician,  with powerful allies who have a lot invested in him, on the other hand the victims were powerless  women. after making such allegations would still have to live in that community.  For years Moore operated in his small fiefdom  with a local media that would not dare raise a voice. Under the radar of national media.

If you were one of these women, what would you do? Be honest. 

It was only after Moore run for the seat of Sessions, and his position would have national consequences  that he came in to the Radar of National Media.  And National media started investigating these rumors that were always there and that local media had ignored for years.

The initial Victim did not approach   The Washington Post . The Washington Post approached her and  convinced her to come forward. She now had some power and support.

THAT:S WHY NOW !!!

once she came out and others shaw that it was relatively safe to do so, they also  came out. .

I don't care if you are a Democrat, a Republican, or an Independent. Are you not an American, a Patriot, a father, a brother s husband ,a friend? When did such behaviour become so acceptable. that we would use such flimsy excuses , to excuse those who behave as such?

Frankly I am more disturbed by the apologists, than I am by the behaviour of Moore. Men like Moore have always existed,  This acquiescence    by so many is a new phenomenon and is very disturbing. It will only embolden the predators.:sad:  

Edited by sirineou

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

This defence was also made by Moore and is a red herring .

The answer is obvious. 

Moore is  a powerful well connected politician,  with powerful allies who have a lot invested in him, on the other hand the victims were powerless  women. after making such allegations would still have to live in that community.  For years Moore operated in his small fiefdom  with a local media that would not dare raise a voice. Under the radar of national media.

If you were one of these women, what would you do? Be honest. 

It was only after Moore run for the seat of Sessions, and his position would have national consequences  that he came in to the Radar of National Media.  And National media started investigating these rumors that were always there and that local media had ignored for years.

The initial Victim did not approach   The Washington Post . The Washington Post approached her and  convinced her to come forward. She now had some power and support.

THAT:S WHY NOW !!!

once she came out and others shaw that it was relatively safe to do so, they also  came out. .

I don't care if you are a Democrat, a Republican, or an Independent. Are you not an American, a Patriot, a father, a brother s husband ,a friend? When did such behaviour become so acceptable. that we would use such flimsy excuses , to excuse those who behave as such?

Frankly I am more disturbed by the apologists, than I am by the behaviour of Moore. Men like Moore have always existed,  This acquiescence    by so many is a new phenomenon and is very disturbing. It will only embolden the predators.:sad:  

??????

On 11/16/2017 at 3:58 PM, Jingthing said:

This dude is toast.

Good riddance too.

If he stays in and wins, he will be seated in the senate!

The process would be that his case would be submitted to  and reviewed by the Senate ethics committee and if they recommend that he be expelled then it would be put to vote and 2/3rds of the Senate would have approve for him to be expelled.

What Moore allegedly did is no different from what Trump allegedly did, 13 accusers and his comments on the Hollywood tape.  So if Moore wins, is seated in the senate and expulsion proceedings are conducted by the ethics committee, then, if I were a Senator, either Republican or Democrat, I would immediately start a resolution to have Trump impeached and publicly condemn Mitch McConnell for not proceeding wit the impeachment proceedings.

What is the difference between Moore's  and Trumps actions.  They are both alleged scumbags and both should be expelled!

Trump's been quiet about Moore for exactly the above reason.

3 hours ago, wayned said:

If he stays in and wins, he will be seated in the senate!

The process would be that his case would be submitted to  and reviewed by the Senate ethics committee and if they recommend that he be expelled then it would be put to vote and 2/3rds of the Senate would have approve for him to be expelled.

What Moore allegedly did is no different from what Trump allegedly did, 13 accusers and his comments on the Hollywood tape.  So if Moore wins, is seated in the senate and expulsion proceedings are conducted by the ethics committee, then, if I were a Senator, either Republican or Democrat, I would immediately start a resolution to have Trump impeached and publicly condemn Mitch McConnell for not proceeding wit the impeachment proceedings.

What is the difference between Moore's  and Trumps actions.  They are both alleged scumbags and both should be expelled!

Trump's been quiet about Moore for exactly the above reason.

Though I agree that they are both "scumbags" and both should be removed from public office for this and many other reasons.

To be fair , the difference between Trump and Moore , (to answer the question) is that  , as far as I know, Trump is not a pedofile "scumbag" just a simple garden viriety "scumbag". 

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

Trump is not a pedofile "scumbag" just a simple garden viriety "scumbag". 

I'm not sure that is true.  From Wikipedia: " Mariah Billado, Miss Vermont Teen USA, is one of four women to mention such a dressing room visit incident in 1997.[95] Billado said of the visit: "I remember putting on my dress really quick, because I was like, 'Oh my god, there's a man in here.' Trump, she recalled, said something like, 'Don't worry, ladies, I've seen it all before.'"[

Contestants for Miss Teen USA have to be 14 to 19 years old!

2 minutes ago, wayned said:

I'm not sure that is true.  From Wikipedia: " Mariah Billado, Miss Vermont Teen USA, is one of four women to mention such a dressing room visit incident in 1997.[95] Billado said of the visit: "I remember putting on my dress really quick, because I was like, 'Oh my god, there's a man in here.' Trump, she recalled, said something like, 'Don't worry, ladies, I've seen it all before.'"[

Contestants for Miss Teen USA have to be 14 to 19 years old!

Neither am I, that is why I included the caveat  "as far as I know". And though it pains me to even appear to defend Trump, Moore's behaviour  targeted underage girls,  where Trump's behaviour might have inadvertently included   underage girls. 

I know I know, I am splitting hair. :smile: