Best and quickest way to go from Jomtien to Don Muang

domdom

Hello

Have not been to Don Muang for 15 years.. I need to pick up some family coming to visit us.. Plane reaching at 3 pm on 27 th

GPS offers me 3 options.. What is the quickest and easiest itinerary, if somebody uses to go there

Thanks a lot

Have a nice day

No real easy way to avoid the traffic unfortunately.

Your GPS is correct up to a point, I can think of at least 3 different ways.

You could go on to 7 at the Sukhumvit junction between North & South Pattaya and just keep going straight on to the end of the motorway and then keep right and straight on to the 25 Baht toll, then the 50 Baht toll, once through there then take then next junction off towards Din Daeng, as you go up the slight hill, then stay right and merge with the carriageways on your right, following the road around to the right, again towards Din Daeng, shortly after it straightens out then get on the overhead tollway towards Don Muang, once on this, just follow the signs for the airport.

Expect quite a lot of traffic build up though, from around the turn off to Suvarnabhumi airport all the way to the overhead, how bad is just pure pot luck, though generally not good on a Monday.

The other way, which could POSSIBLY avoid some of the traffic around Bangkok is to do as per the first part, but this time after passing the Suvarnabhumi airport junction on 7, then take highway 9 North towards Bang Pa In, you now have the choice to come off on either highway 304 (Ram Inthra) by Fashion Island and head towards Laksi / Chaeng Wattana, or carry on on highway 9 to highway 305 and come off left here, this takes you past Dream World, which is what I would do if going this way, as it will be definitely less traffic than via 304, going this way you will approach Don Muang from the South, you would need to use your GPS for either of these two routes, as it is near impossible to explain how to navigate once off 9, as it is way too much writing!!

I haven't been on the other overhead (34) past Bangkok side of Bangna for a while, so not sure how the traffic is this way, so other may advise that this is another good option.

A 3 PM arrival would mean negotating Bangkok environs between 12 noon and 2 PM so traffic would be much more manageable. If friends arrive on time, one could be back on the road before 3 PM and still beat the usual bottlenecks.

Mattd's first option would probably be the shortest by road km but with possible tailbacks at certain traffic merges. The second option(s), although longer on the ground, would probably be the least impeded by traffic but note that 304 would get you onto Viphavadi-Ransgit south of DMK whereas 305 would get you onto Viphavadi-Rangist north of DMK. I would do 305 to the airport and 304 coming back.

Really a toss up between slower, shorter get there on time versus faster, longer get there same time anyway.

Yes, my apologies, I meant to write that you will approach DM from the North, not south if via 305, I concur with NL that 305 is the best way if going via 9, it is a fairly simple route and 304 gets very busy and is slow going even on a good day, you would also have to be quite careful as you approach Laksi to not go the wrong way and end up going past the Government complex etc.

I read a newspaper report this week advising drivers to give themselves an extra 3 hours to get to DM. This is due to extensive roadworks and diversions in the area whilst a new ramp is built to the airport. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

14 minutes ago, champers said:

I read a newspaper report this week advising drivers to give themselves an extra 3 hours to get to DM. This is due to extensive roadworks and diversions in the area whilst a new ramp is built to the airport. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

Hopefully this should not cause a problem for the OP, as it isn't on his route, this is the u turn flyover that enters the airport from Vibhavadi Rangsit road coming from downtown Bangkok, so if he is on the overhead tollway road for example, then he can still get in directly off the overhead, although the traffic may be more than usual due to the construction work, as motorists use the overhead to avoid the jams.

If he is coming from 305, then it should not affect him either as the airport will be on his left.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/don-mueang-airport-flyover-closed-nov-6-demolition/

Having said this, I would still allow about 3 hours to get to DM from Jomtien anyway.

Years ago, when I was working offshore and DM was the only airport, then you could never pick how long it would take, especially before highway 7 existed and you had to go through the middle of Sriracha and Chonburi, it could be anywhere between 2 and 9 hours! Some say the good old days........................

Edited by Mattd

Just adding a note that you should also check that the 7 Laem  Chabang to Chonburi does not have any roadworks.

Last time I travelled there it was a few weeks ago, and there were none. Trust that is still the case.

It wasn't so long ago there were the roadworks. From Jomtien I then used to go out chaiyapruek to the 331 to 3138 ban bueng then 344. the 344 section can be a bit slow.

This also avoided going through Pattaya, depends on time of day. On your timing shouldnt be  much problem.

4 minutes ago, jojothai said:

Just adding a note that you should also check that the 7 Laem  Chabang to Chonburi does not have any roadworks.

Currently there are no major works going on in that area, there have been some resurfacing work on all parts of this road, especially the bits that are concrete going over to tarmac, I travel this road weekly.

It's 3 or 4 years since I drove to Don Muang several times, and I found the first route suggested by Mattd quite easy. I used the expressway into Bangkok which links with the overhead road to DM a few weeks ago, and outside rush hour it was no bother at all.

I don't know how it is now, but the parking at DM was a nightmare. At that time one of the terminals was being refurbished, and the only accessible car park was the multi-storey south of the terminals. It was constantly overflowing, with the lower storeys in particular almost impassable because of lines of cars parked across the ends of bays, so that great queues built up of cars trying to exit waiting for those entering to find a space and manoeuvre into it. Once it took nearly half an hour to get out of the multi-storey.

When picking someone up, I took to going past the terminals and that car park, and finding a space at the side of the internal road opposite the freight forwarders' offices, and waiting for a call that my passenger was exiting baggage collection. I would then circle back round and pick up at the terminal door.

Maybe it's improved now, but I wouldn't drive there if I could avoid it.

The tollway around the Hwy.9 ringroad heading north from 7 and coming back down to 7 is super congested until around 1PM, I wouldn't recommend 

The expressway that connects on from Motorway (Hwy7) is congested at the toll from the morning rush hour until 10-11, so if you plan to travel around lunchtimes that should be ok

3 hours ago, champers said:

have a cab or mini van meet them. thats what id do.

I'd leave your car at Jomtien Bus station - take the airport bus to Swampy - take a taxi to Don Muang. Then return the same way.

If you don't have to be there, get them to take the free bus from Don muang to Swampy then the Airport bus back to Jomtien.