Forwarding Address

I am moving to Thailand soon, and need to find a way to have my mail here in the USA forwarded to my thai address in Thailand. Is there a way to do this? Any suggestions is appreciated.

NCGUY

When I moved here from the US I just went to the Post Office responsible for delivering to my area. Filled out a forwarding card and that was it. But you do need an address here (Thailand) already. In my case I had set up a PO Box to have it delivered to. Otherwise, forward to a relative/friend until you have a fixed address here then have the forwarding address changed to it.

I think there is a time limit for forwarding, certainly to foreign addresses. One year? There is a site dedicated to these kinds of American expat issues at: http://www.retireaway.com/

Changing eveything possible to online statements is advisable, but many American expats find it very useful if not necessary to maintain a "faux" American address, such as friend, relative, or a mail forwarding service that gives you an address that appears to be a real address (though financial institutions will know it is not and might cause a problem for you).

Edited by Thaiquila

I am moving to Thailand soon, and need to find a way to have my mail here in the USA forwarded to my thai address in Thailand. Is there a way to do this? Any suggestions is appreciated.

NCGUY

The U.S. Postal Service has two very good and reasonable programs: Global Priority Mail pouch, up to four pounds airmail to Thailand, for $9.50; and the M-bag, for books and other printed matter, surface mail, 11-66 pounds for $1.05 per pound (http://pe.usps.gov/text/pub51/welcome.htm).

I've been using the GPM pouch now for about 15 years or so, used to do so via a Mail Box Inc (or Etc.?) then decided their monthy fee for a PO Box was too high so talked my sister in Oregon into being the mail drop and handling the remailing of the monthly pouch. I have several magazine subscriptions and it's a whole lot cheaper to have them sent to Oregon than it is to have them airmailed individually to Thailand.

Some U.S. mail does come direct to Thailand via airmail at no extra charge to me, the IRS stuff, for example. Guess I do get something back for my tax $$$!

Mac

NCGUY

Get a mailbox in US with Mail Boxes Etc they provide a forwarding service.

See info here for UK link, you can google for US link.

MBE

Naka.

Here is a nice one:

https://www.usa2me.com/signup/pgeRatePlans.aspx

They allow you to look at everything online - discard, mail or even open scan and email you it asap

It is also in Texas that has no state income tax so making it your resident state before you move to Thailand may save you grief in the future...

Edited by sfokevin

Before you leave you need to get a form notorized so that they know you are not Osama. Without the form, no one will forward your mail in USA.

I've used a mailbox service with mail forwarding in Honolulu for the past 12 years and never needed any notorized form.

I've used a mailbox service with mail forwarding in Honolulu for the past 12 years and never needed any notorized form.

I believe Osama Bin Laden and others of his ilk were not an issue 12 years ago.

--

Maestro

Yeahbut...

If no one will forward your mail in USA these days without a notarized statement, I would have thought that my mail forwarder would have asked for me to submit one. Who's to say I'm not Osama with a little foresight? :o

It is a legal requirement.

http://www.usps.com/forms/_pdf/ps1583.pdf

Maybe it has to do with USPS definition of "agent"? Maybe it's more like my mother collecting my mail and forwarding it to me? <shrug>