why do they want to burn everything

opalred

ya the bins are placed in front of every house, free blue plastic with a lid, supplied by the local council, thats the people in charge of the provence around here,si that, the green garbage truck is as new back hydralic loaded and maned by 3 very helpful guys, same at kumpawampi, it costs us 200 bhart a year per house, the recyclers are all private from this area, they compete to get your waste, their yards are well set up , on large blocks well out of town, our village won the 400k bart for the best presented for the kings cremation, it is very clean and tidy, the bore water is drinkable too!

No garbage collection where I am. Only the local plastic, metal and cardboard dealer. There has been questions asked but nothing done. I had to buy the bins myself.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, Time Traveller said:

If you don't like it move. Just what Thailand needs, more do gooder farangs trying to change everything. You want a million regulations governing every aspect of life, then you'd better move back to the west.

Who that has replied to anything said anything about more regulations, its to make change where change is needed> Oh and before you use the move line I did, to much cleaner air, but still the burning thing is a waste of good material generally, I got the aunts banana tree cut outs but unfortunately wasnt fast enough for her and some got burnt, so will have to work with her to both our benefits.

About re-cyclers before we moved from CM we got a couple of times small amounts for stuff but I noticed an old lady getting stuff from the shops across the road so she was approached(she is deaf and dumb) to come collect our stuff, it wasnt much but at least someone who needed it more than us got it and she would never take money just recyclable stuff, looking to do the same thing here.

9 hours ago, baneko said:

I bought a black, blue and red bin for my house. 12 people in the house by the way including kids.

I told them green for plastic, red for metal and black for general waste. I came back from offshore all bins full and mixed.

What was the blue bin for?

Our Tessabaan say we are too far, 6km away, to have bin collections.

We have three baskets, metal, glass and plastic. With that and the cases of Leo we take to the rubbish collection every month or so. Usually get around B300 for the waste.

Food waste is composted.

Non-recyclacle stuff wife dumps in the blue bin outside the Tessabaan office whenever we go past :smile:

Whats easier-cheaper, ploughing or burning?
There lies the answer......

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

You are correct in that it's the Thai way. However, education into farming practises would show farmers here that in the long run it saves them money if they retain and use that valuable natural resource by nourishing the soil (giving better productivity) and reduces costs (don't need so much expensive fertilizer).
'In the long run' is the problem for the Thai mentality though, unfortunately. Agricultural practices are apparently not something the Thai govt is interested in. Yeild per hectare in Thailand is low compared to other countries.

Sent from my F3116 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 hours ago, bheard said:

You are correct in that it's the Thai way. However, education into farming practises would show farmers here that in the long run it saves them money if they retain and use that valuable natural resource by nourishing the soil (giving better productivity) and reduces costs (don't need so much expensive fertilizer).
'In the long run' is the problem for the Thai mentality though, unfortunately. Agricultural practices are apparently not something the Thai govt is interested in. Yeild per hectare in Thailand is low compared to other countries.

They have been "educated' about not burning, but they just won't change.

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They have been "educated' about not burning, but they just won't change.

Quickly clears the field and is cheap.

Kills weeds, including those resistant to herbicide.

Kills slugs and other pests.

Can reduce nitrogen tie-up.

But what do the farmers know?  They only been doing that since people lived in caves.

Actually I was being a little facetious. There are pros and cons to both ploughing and burning depending on crop rotation (or lack of), soil types, necessity to produce the next crop quickly, land angle and soil erosions. In some scenarios burning is actually the recommended practice, albeit detrimental in the long run and requiring the need for fertilizers at some stage

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quickly clears the field and is cheap.
Kills weeds, including those resistant to herbicide.
Kills slugs and other pests.
Can reduce nitrogen tie-up.

But what do the farmers know?  They only been doing that since people lived in caves.

Agreed a long held practice, but times have changed. Yields are down and chemical fertiliser use is rampant.
Fact is farmers don't know how to manage changing times. Old practices don't work forever.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 hours ago, bheard said:

Agreed a long held practice, but times have changed. Yields are down and chemical fertiliser use is rampant.
Fact is farmers don't know how to manage changing times. Old practices don't work forever.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Are you a farmer in Thailand?

A lot of the problem is older people, there were no rubbish collections in the past and burning crop waste was quick and easy, and didn't cost anything. Ploughing may be better for the soil, but not every farmer has a tractor and paying for ploughing is expensive. Also if you do not burn you get more weeds. That means, have to plough again, or use more herbicides. 

My mother-in-law always rakes up the leaves and grass in the garden and burns them, unless i get there first and take away for my compost heap. Very few people seem to make compost, do not know why. Generally, though, cleanliness has improved a lot in the last 7 years and the roadside in the village is a lot cleaner. We even got wheelie bins from the tessaban last month. The way things are done in Thailand may shock newcomers, but it is getting better. 

Are you a farmer in Thailand?

No. I was a farmer in Oz and take an interest in farming wherever I happen to be.
Have visited farms in Thailand (NE) , seen their practices, talked to them, read about farming in Thailand.
Of course there is progress being made, but some areas are not seeing that.
Small holdings, lack of education, lack of govt involvement, many aspects need work.
Are you suggesting all is well?

Village people should have been educated on the dangers of burning not only plastic. but leaves, trees etc numerous times by now. Not only should have they been educated at local conferences, but it should have been repeated over loud speakers, and also various educational days where the public health officials train the villagers on what other uses they can use their waste for. Example. mulch, recyclables etc.

I personally think the whole issue has two aspects to it. One, a way of thinking. We have done this forever, it is easy, why change? Two, the way the system is set up. Local officials cannot fine, they need approval from the Mayor and then the police act on the fining. The Mayor will rarely approve a fine for this as he will lose the house votes, and all their various cousins votes. Police find cases like this a waste of time. 

A fining system needs to be created that is not linked back to an election. Plus, the community would benefit, think of how much the Tessaban could save in fines to spend on creating more recreational activities for the young, elderly etc. 

Also as it stands now, Tessabans are limited in what they can do re rubbish. 30 baht a month covers nothing. There was talk to increasing this to 150 baht per month, and some Tessabans did. However, it is political suicide for many other Mayors. Many Tessabans even need to stop paying the small pension to the elderly to cover things like this. 

Tribunals have been set up for people who cannot handle neighbours burning off daily by the Army government, but many uneducated people are unaware of this. 

No easy short term easy fix unfortunately. So do what you can, at least make your immediate living areas relatively smoke free. 

Edited by wildewillie89

2 hours ago, bheard said:

No. I was a farmer in Oz and take an interest in farming wherever I happen to be.
Have visited farms in Thailand (NE) , seen their practices, talked to them, read about farming in Thailand.
Of course there is progress being made, but some areas are not seeing that.
Small holdings, lack of education, lack of govt involvement, many aspects need work.
Are you suggesting all is well?

I am not suggesting that farming is well in Thailand but more the opposite.

Farming in Thailand is a bit like the curates egg. It is good in parts.

From what i have read on here and in BKK Post there are pockets of farmers all over rural Thailand, but more near Royal Projects, who have seen the light. They have learned new ways, use natural fertilisers, diversify their crops, do hydroponic farming,  at least where there is plenty of water available.

Many older farmers are stuck in the cycle of debt, unable to service it properly, too old to change, children have seen how their parents live hand to mouth and don't want anything to do with farming and are leaving the land.

The small holdings are likely because in years gone by they were larger holdings but people had more children then and a gift of land from the parents was sort of traditional which over the years has resulted in small holdings.

I agree on the lack of education for older farmers as they were not given much choice but as children are getting a better education it looks as though they don't want to be farmers now. I feel that in a few years time Thailand will be a net rice importer as all the older farmers die off and the land gets sold. Perhaps that may be a good thing if someonr would buy up the farms and make them large again but where would they find the cheap labour to work the land?