Thai media says three levels of authority will be able to fine smokers on Thai beaches

webfact

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:11 PM, connda said:

They don't have the manpower to patrol the most dangerous roads in the world here in the LOS - but they seem to have excess manpower to go after - smokers.  :glare:  Is this surreal or what?

Cops have to patrol the roads, but non cop minions will patrol the beaches for people committing a crime worse than assault and battery. They probably won't speak English either.

Good luck if one get's caught, or fitted up.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're using a law enacted by the Marine Coastal Resources:

ACT ON THE PROMOTION OF MARINE AND COASTAL RESOURCES MANAGEMENT,

B.E. 2558 (2015)

When you read Section 17 (the one they are using) it becomes open for different interpretations.

Section 27 is very clear regarding fines/jail time for offenders under Section 17.

Once again, 'clear as mud' but will be interpreted by the authorities to their benefit.

8 hours ago, sharpjwe said:

check smokers lungs lined with TAR

filthy habbit

filthy to throw ever cigarrette they smoke on the ground plus the packets for their all short lives

how many M3 is that ?????

other things far worst ( lets keep to the subject at hand)

I've never equated a smoker's lungs with personal hygiene. I was also unaware that all smokers were habitual litterers. What does M3 mean?

It gets more PC here every day. It’s like Los Angeles, but at least there they have the equipment to sweep the beaches early every morning. 

All the ‘’rich’’ tourists concentrated in one area. An

untapped goldmine .  $ 3,000 U.S for a butt in Chonburi you could have a couple people killed for less

The disgusting thing about Hua Hin beach is the "horse apples," on the beach and in the water.  No one concerned about this?  Aside from the inconvenience it is also a health hazard, if that needs to be pointed out.

I haven't been to HH in years, has something been done about it?

Of all the things in LOS that need to be addressed, the resources of three separate gov't agencies are joining forces to combat cigarette smoking on beaches.  Unbelievable!

On 19/11/2017 at 9:56 AM, HHTel said:

Directly from a police website:

I believe it is you that needs to keep up, we are not debating the law on importation it's a given that it is illegal. We are talking about personal use of an Ecig that was bought legitimately outside of Thailand. Show me a law that states the personal use of an Ecig is illegal.

I love many thinks in Thailand, but i must say this is totally ridiculous !!!

A easy farang money grab, against skapegoat (smokers).

Educate Thai drivers is way more important, but not easy, and would cost.

Put big fine for the daily garbage fire there is everywhere is way more important too, that's a REAL NUISANCE everywhere, and dangerous for health (way more than cigarettes). But again, it would not be so easy, and would concern Thai citizen...

But somehow Thai gouvernment does not do worse than others. In the whole world, smoking is becoming criminal, but feel free to POLLUATE the whole planet by any ways... Chemicals, diesel, coat, nuclear central, etc. etc. etc.

Nobody want to deal with the big problems like adults.

So let's criminalyse smokers yeah, so easy. So ridiculous...

Edited by Sambotte
precision

I would liken it all to a playground bully observing the playground and sensing the mood of the playground in readiness to strike. We all know its got nothing to do with littering the beaches, it's simply that the bully has found to his delight that smoking is becoming less tolerated and is therefore joining in, as would any bully when they sense the mood is in their favour. As usual, its not well planned or thought out, its just wade in, fists a flailing. A bit of blood and snot all over the place (That will be the Chinese) and life will move on. Those spared the bullies attention today may sigh in relief, but a bully unchecked will get you eventually...

9 hours ago, SirBuwanaDogbossKing said:

I believe it is you that needs to keep up, we are not debating the law on importation it's a given that it is illegal. We are talking about personal use of an Ecig that was bought legitimately outside of Thailand. Show me a law that states the personal use of an Ecig is illegal.

Read the police statement again:

they fall into a category of goods that have not had tax levied on them and their possession therefore is illegal. 

How can you use an e-cigarette for personal use without being in possession of it??

I decided to refrain from smoking on the beach. Instead I'll take the cats razor sharp empty can of tuna he has for breakfast, drop it and kick some sand over it while no one is looking.

It's just a pre-emptive strike if you will, for when they ban you wearing any kind of footwear whilst walking on the beach.

12 hours ago, HHTel said:

Read the police statement again:

How can you use an e-cigarette for personal use without being in possession of it??

Jeez, some people just can't get it, tax and duty is applied to goods imported in to Thailand, there is no tax due on personal items valued less than B10,000. As for your police website statement since when did the police make the laws in Thailand? This is again another case that smacks of the police not understanding the actual law or manipulating it to their own end. Can you provide a link to this so called police website?

The actual law forbids the import of these contraptions.  Doesn 't matter whether tax was paid anywhere else. This is NOT part of personal goods but a restricted item like cigarettes, alcohol etc etc.  How many brain cells do you own,  or are the ones you have,  borrowed?

Edited by HHTel

5 hours ago, HHTel said:

The actual law forbids the import of these contraptions.  Doesn 't matter whether tax was paid anywhere else. This is NOT part of personal goods but a restricted item like cigarettes, alcohol etc etc.  How many brain cells do you own,  or are the ones you have,  borrowed?

Grow up and do your research before you start spouting off with your stupid comments and derogatory remarks. Maybe you can start with looking up the definition of "import"!!! Then you can follow this by showing me the actual law that states they cannot be used, although I seriously doubt you can do that.

1 hour ago, SirBuwanaDogbossKing said:

None

Pat Waterton, manager at Langley Travel, said she was unaware of the ban. She only learnt of the law when her nephew James was forced to pay £125 as an on-the-spot fine after being threatened with jail for having an e-cigarette in Bangkok.

To get a real answer, I called the Royal Thai Consulate in Los Angeles. I left a detailed message regarding vaping in Thailand and asking if I could bring my vape with me. The next day I had a return phone call and the answer was very clear. The answer was no. My vape and e-liquid is not allowed in Thailand and is considered illegal.

No, you can’t bring your electronic cigarette into Thailand. They are illegal.Consular Official at Royal Thai Consulate Los Angeles

A Swiss man has been arrested and charged with “importation” of e-cigarettes for vaping in public in Thailand. He is now free on bail while he awaits trial.  The vaper who was arrested has been told he could receive any punishment between “immediate deportation to up to 5 years imprisonment.”

On July 26, 2017, a close friend was arrested in the streets of Thailand because he used an e-cigarette. To pre-empt any doubts: The police, the Swiss Embassy, and other affected agencies were informed that our friend had not been otherwise illegally involved. Apparently and state of affairs his offense was the use of an e-cigarette in the public, more specifically, he is accused of importing e-cigarettes. This is at least the official charge.

etc, etc, etc......

2 hours ago, SirBuwanaDogbossKing said:

Grow up and do your research before you start spouting off with your stupid comments and derogatory remarks. Maybe you can start with looking up the definition of "import"!!! Then you can follow this by showing me the actual law that states they cannot be used, although I seriously doubt you can do that.

to bring in (merchandise, commodities, workers, etc.) from a foreign country for use, sale, processing, reexport, or services.