Anyone managed to get a 7card to pay cashless in 7-11?

wump

So there it goes. In my country like 95% of people pay cash in the supermarket and it's super annoying. We even have 1 cent coins. It takes ages. When it is finally my turn after being 10th in the queue I just tap my NFC VISA card on the reader and the whole process takes about 2 freaking seconds.

I hate fiddling with cash (especially coins) in Thailand as well. When I left in July this year most 7-11 stores weren't accepting VISA/Mastercard. Not with NFC anyway.

Now I can't find too much information about the 7card. Apparently you can load it up with 50 to 10,000 Baht and just pay cashless via NFC. This is the link (after opening the page, right-click and select 'translate to English').

Has anyone of you guys managed to get one or is this a Thai only thing? I can see that ID is required.

Strange how different people have different experiences. I myself find people paying with a credit card annoying. The girl at the till has to do a bit of fiddleing on the cash register, then she gets a pad and a pen and hands it to the customer, he in turn has to sign that and hand it back while she is standing there waiting. Then she moves back to the till and the transaction is completed.

I am the type of person who would have the money out and ready long before getting to a till.

I will admit though, what annoys me even more are ladies who seem to act as if everything in the store is free and only realise that it has to be actually paid for when the price is rung up on the till ....then and only then do they start rooting for money in their bags....after been standing in the Q for a period of time when they could have been getting it out and have it at the ready.

Still, at the end of the day these are luxuary problems. Many in this world don't have the money to shop in a store.

Just get a 7-11 cash card.  When using it just thap the reader and nothing else to do.

To refill money, just give the cash to the cashier ,and tap the reader when  instructed.

Very practical .  No need to use your debit card or credit card or cash .

Same as the RABBIT card they use in Bangkok for Skytrain , MacDonald  and other places.

13 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Where you go get theses cards from ?

They would be quite handy , stop the coins building up at home .

My Thai girlfriend tell me you ask the cashier at 7-11 and pay a fee for the card and load some money in the card.

Maybe easier to have a Thai friend with you to ask correctly  in Thai.

I had one before but  I use the same one as my girlfriend now.

7 minutes ago, cnx355 said:

My Thai girlfriend tell me you ask the cashier at 7-11 and pay a fee for the card and load some money in the card.

Maybe easier to have a Thai friend with you to ask correctly  in Thai.

I had one before but  I use the same one as my girlfriend now.

So is this one different from the one I linked (where you have to register properly)? I don't want to pay with VISA or Mastercard, I simply want to tap and go.

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

Strange how different people have different experiences. I myself find people paying with a credit card annoying. The girl at the till has to do a bit of fiddleing on the cash register, then she gets a pad and a pen and hands it to the customer, he in turn has to sign that and hand it back while she is standing there waiting. Then she moves back to the till and the transaction is completed.

I am the type of person who would have the money out and ready long before getting to a till.

I will admit though, what annoys me even more are ladies who seem to act as if everything in the store is free and only realise that it has to be actually paid for when the price is rung up on the till ....then and only then do they start rooting for money in their bags....after been standing in the Q for a period of time when they could have been getting it out and have it at the ready.

Still, at the end of the day these are luxuary problems. Many in this world don't have the money to shop in a store.

Please read up on NFC. It's nothing like the old credit card system. You simply tap and go like on the BTS/MRT. No signature and no PIN (up to a certain amount) required.

Edited by wump

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Money cards :post-4641-1156693976:.

They are just ways for companies to get information on us to sell.

I guess some people want 1984 already.

I'd rather have 1984 than 5 grandmas in front of me paying €37,87 in cash. What a waste of resources. Can't wait for a cashless society.

For all your dodgy deals you could still use gold or other valuables.

26 minutes ago, wump said:

I'd rather have 1984 than 5 grandmas in front of me paying €37,87 in cash. What a waste of resources. Can't wait for a cashless society.

For all your dodgy deals you could still use gold or other valuables.

Or the 30 something woman , who puts her goods on the counter infront of the cashier and stands there with the till beeping away , and then gets a shock when the cashier expects her to pay for the things and then spends the next five minutes trying to find her purse

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They are just a convenient way to purchase things .

BTW , its now 2017 , 1984 passed a long time ago

There great you just go to your local 7/11 and ask for one, cost 200B one off fee, you also accumulate points on purchases that can be used later, you will never be short changed again , just tap and go, you just want to buy a 7 baht bottle of water no problem. Instead of giving your girl cash just give her the card, I normally charge 500B per time. 

Not exactly 7card. But truemoney wallet,wechat pay and alipay. 7eleven have kick start ahead accepting mobile payment after seeing china success with mobile payment.

For now we dont have access to wechat pay or alipay but the truemove wallet is accepted. I seen alot of china tourist paying via alipay or wechat pay. 

Few years down the road we may see more merchants accepting mobile payment

2 hours ago, ujayujay said:

What a sick society does not even have time to wait 1 Minute to pay. And.....most are on Retirement... Ridiculous:cheesy:

It's the coin fiddling and the bumps in the wallet I am sick of. I got not too much of a problem with a coinless system like in Cambodia.

And what you are missing: It is completely unnecessary nowadays to still pay cash. It's highly inconvenient and raises transaction costs. Apart from the myth of anonymity there is no advantage at all. I don't know about Thailand but in many countries CCTV is becoming smart so it 'recognizes' you - you and your purchases and moving patterns in the store will then be tracked anyway (across all stores, that is).

Edited by wump

4 minutes ago, Medicine Man said:

BigC in Chaing Mai have contactless terminals although some of the till staff didn't realise. You should see the look on their faces when I took out my mobile and paid. Android pay with a Halifax Clarity credit card and NO signatures. :smile:

Would be interested to know if this works with Apple Pay.  Probably not, but you never know.

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

This is also a common response for those that don't have enough expendable income to keep a few thousand baht 'tied up' in a cash card.

8 hours ago, jossthaifarang said:

Should not be hard to get your Mrs to organise you one mate.

...unless there's no Mrs wump of course.

8 hours ago, pumpjack said:

you just want a 7-11 card to say you have a 7-11 card right ?  nothing to do with handling cash

And why not? It must be right up there with the yellow book and pink ID card when it comes to useless farang collectibles, no?

6 hours ago, sanemax said:

Or the 30 something woman , who puts her goods on the counter infront of the cashier and stands there with the till beeping away , and then gets a shock when the cashier expects her to pay for the things and then spends the next five minutes trying to find her purse

Is that the same 30-something woman that has her head cocked to one side, blinged-out iPhone wedged in her neck and going, "Uhhh,... uhhh,... dai-dai... uhhh..." and then has her 'auntie' barge in from the check-out line 3 rows over and dump all her sh!te on the belt and say ring it up all together and when the total exceeds the collective 338 baht which is all they have between them, they start shoving stuff off to the side while berating one another for not having a clue...?

I started using Line pay. At many locations they offer this, but at some shops the staff don't know how it works. And at some shops the readers don't work well. 

I'm also using Samsung Pay. Just take your mobile, unlock with fingerprint or whatever you prefer and use the NFC reader. 

Looks like you are seeking for something to complain about.

I always pay cash except for larger purchases (a new TV for example), and here in Thailand I get held up by people paying small amounts using their debit cards or credit cards, and it is slow. When I use cash it doesn't take as long by far. When it becomes a simple tap of the card, a card that women will still spend a good time looking for in their bags, I will stop being a Luddite and join the club. People aren't in that much of a hurry here, even fast food takes a while.

I believe 7-11 sell True money cards, is that when you mean? I don't see a need for me to loan the 7-11 company money for free,  an NFC enabled bank debit card or something similar on my phone would do that job.